EQ2 Forum Archive @ EQ2Wire

Go Back   EQ2 Forum Archive @ EQ2Wire > EverQuest II > Altar of Malice Beta > Class Discussion (AoM Beta) > Fighters
Members List Search Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 10-07-2014, 11:11 PM   #1
Bratman

Ok, Xelgad, as I understood from your message this section completely dedicated to the balance, so I'll write my complaints, most of which had already been written in the class section.

1. Our ward currently wards against ~15k points of damage and is considered as most useless ability. DoF should be based on % hp, especially with the current base reuse time (60 seconds). And DoF amount should be +- at least equal to 20% of paladins max hp.
2. Paladins healing abilities for a short time increase the maximum amount of hp, but at the moment the numbers are very outdated. I believe that they should be based on % health as a healing component. Here are the current numbers: devout sacrament (+1067 hp), group heal (+1131 hp), LoH (1454 hp).
3. Same story with scaling of regenerating ward on blessing of the paladin too. Currently amount of ward is 1200 points of damage. As I've said, it seems to me that this ability should be based on health % too.
4. Heretic`s destruction is sooo outdated. This is our EoF tree endline ability =/ But it gives 15% CB/potency.
5. Divine aura is going to remain useless, as its now. I dont know we`ll have one-shots or not, but Im sure that yes and then DA should be improved.
6. LoH with 5 minutes base reuse time should have at least 2 stoneskin triggers.

We are going back to the same chapter again. If a paladin has to compete with a guardian, then why our surviveability is significantly lower (we didnt get any improvements since TOV except for 4 seconds manawall), and we dont have any useful buffs? As a result, we do not have any advantages over a guardian and its sad.

P.S. Thank you for the improvement of manawall, but 4 seconds ... Im sure that any crusader prefer the ability that lasts in at least 8 seconds and gives lets say 50% damage reduction. But in any case, 4 seconds is not enough.
Bratman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2014, 12:07 AM   #2
Mahgnus

Dvine Aura

I want to put more emphasis on how bad Divine Aura currently is. Nearly all raid mobs outside of Accursed Sanctum, DA fails to prevent dmg even in conjunction with Draconic Shout. Wing 3 Gatekeeper adds is a common example of when it fails, I'm sure my guild can attest to me saying, " I [email protected]#$ing hate DVINE AURA!. in vent as watch my death saves trigger. This is the same old story with DA ever since KoS expansion when it was introduced. DA still has the 50% hp threshold penalty that prevent its from working correctly. If more data is require to lend further evidence of DA inability to keep the Crusader alive, please let me know and I will provide the requested information.

• 50% health threshold detrimental effect prevents DA from being useful.
    • Increasing the threshold to 80%+ of max health will help increase its effectiveness
    • or, Make the Duration increase AA in the SF tree also increase the Max HP threshold along with the duration.
    • or, Remove the det effect all together Wink
  • Recast of DA is currently substantially longer recast than other comparative abilities.
    • A reduction in recast would help to bring this ability more inline with other skills.
Mana Wall

While the changed version is a small upgrade from its previous form, I find it to still be lacking compared to other defensive skills tanks receive in their respective Heroics trees. Perfect Counter stoneskins 3 hits and reflects an insane amount of damage per trigger; while Mana Wall on the other hand has detrimental effects when cast on the Crusader and is only a 4 second duration. Mana Wall's duration a serious handicap to the ability that greatly reduces its possible effectiveness. The 15 triggers will likely never be fully utilized with its current duration in anything other than mass pull heroic grind groups.

• Mana Wall has a detrimental effect that no other Fighter Heroic Tree defensive skill has
    • Removal of det effect will bring this skill into line with others abilities.
  • 4 second duration handicaps this ability
    • Duration increase to 10 sec will make this skill more useful
I don't understand why Crusaders are always given inferior tools to complete their primary role as a tank.
Mahgnus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2014, 12:50 AM   #3
Laita

Mahgnus! The one from old Ethereal Legacy? Just curious BigGrin
Laita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2014, 12:56 AM   #4
Mahgnus

The one and only Tongue

Man.. that was such a long time ago BigGrin
Mahgnus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2014, 01:03 AM   #5
Bratman

A small addition about our wards. The fight lasts for 9 minutes (Cruor) and what is the result:
1. DoF (I use it everytime its up) 447k warded and takes place between 0 and 1% of my inc heals.
2. Blessing of the paladin 10k warded (10k!) and 0% of my inc heals.
It even sounds bad, but in fact its much worse. These wards should be significantly improved.

And I'd like to speak about DA and reflexes. I only repeat what I said in another topic. Reflexes has 3 minutes base reuse time, while DA is 5 minutes. Always reflexes had one negative side - you couldnt use CAs and because of this you have a problem with aggro. Taunts now become very powerful and this negative side disappeared. Reflexes become incredibly strong ability. 22 (I think) seconds full immunity to any physical damage and 68 seconds cooldown after it expires. Initially, these abilities were made for other purposes and for other conditions. Once upon a time guardian and berserker were the only MT tanks and they had the reflexes to survive. Paladin and SK were tanks for adds, so a penalty from DA wasnt critical for them. Now a paladin became a tank for raid bosses and DA still has this stupid restriction.
Old 10-08-2014, 04:19 AM   #6
Maergoth

Keep in mind, this tree is shared with both guardians AND shadowknights to some extent. And the rest of it is shared between all classes. You can't bring up specific paladin abilities in terms of the new prestige line, when none are paladin specific.

That being said, I understand that this thread isn't just about the prestige.

I fully stand by any positive changes to Divine Aura, Mana Wall, our temp buffs / wards. Though, I have nearly no problems with Divine Aura. It serves many purposes, but it is absolutely worthless against the stuff that is actually difficult to live against.

The change to mana wall is a step in the right direction. I would definitely add a "If greater than 10% of max health" stipulation, or a stoneskin reaction effect. That is a huuuuuuuge cost to pay when those triggers could get eaten instantly. Plus, 4 seconds is not long enough. Even without taking lag into account, you lose at least a third of it to pre-casting. Plus, I can't even find much use for Faith's survivability portion with only a 4 second window, and Faith doesn't cost nearly this much to obtain or use.

I find the one-trigger stoneskin on LoH to be fairly useful.

Here's the AA feedback.

[IMG]
Maergoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2014, 09:20 AM   #7
Bratman

I dont have huge problems with LoH, BUT there is no ability in the game which has one trigger and a disproportionate reuse time speed. After all, these days the most important thing is a stoneskin, not healing. For example, Hateful Respite from SK`s EoF tree. It has 2 minutes base reuse time, 1 stoneskin trigger, some healing component and some aoe aggro. Or superior guard from monk EoF tree. It has 1 minute reuse time (cant be reduced) and 1 stoneskin trigger with 35% hp threshold. Its obvious that LoH isnt quite balanced.

The result is that we dont bring any useful buffs, our surviveability isnt only worse than a guardian, its worse than some other tanks as well. There was hope that some improvements we get from the new AAs, but AAs are the same for everyone and its one of the biggest disappointments.

The rest of my list no doubt needs some tweaks. Its very outdated abilities and very sad that no one paid any attention to it.

Since this topic is for balance, I'll do a quick comparison of a paladin and sk:
Stonewall (90 seconds reuse speed time, 12 seconds duration) vs Shadowknights Furor (240 seconds reuse time speed, 26 seconds duration).
Devout sacrament (90 seconds reuse time speed, 13 seconds duration) vs Crusaders faith with DR (120 seconds reuse time speed, 25 seconds duration).
DoF ward (60 seconds reuse time speed, ~15k ward amount) vs Unholy blessing (15 seconds reuse time speed, useful reactive heal).
vs Blood siphon ward (120 seconds reuse time speed, 1-1.5kk ward amount).
LoH (300 seconds reuse time speed, 1 stoneskin trigger) vs Hateful respite (120 seconds reuse time speed, 1 stoneskin trigger).
Faith (75 seconds reuse time speed, 4 seconds duration) vs mythical clicky (180 seconds reuse time speed, 8 seconds duration, 100% save against any physical one-shots).
vs Death march (180 seconds reuse time speed, 10% DR for at least 11 seconds and almost constantly during AoE fights).
Divine favor (300 seconds reuse time speed, 1 trigger, death save) vs Bloodletter (300 seconds reuse time speed, 2 triggers, cant be cast during combat, BUT it stacks with healers death saves)

This is comparison with AoE tank. Im afraid to compare with guardian or monk or berserker. So I chose the closest class. And I think its obvious that most of the abilities are similar but our ward is absolutely useless, LoH reuse time speed is really meh. Our death save doesnt stack with healers death saves and in this place SK significantly bypass us. Having more or less equal surviveability they have a trump card. They can rotate their saves, then ask healers for death save, then sacrifice one of their triggers, and so on. Again, if we have to be somehow close with guardians, we should see certain tweaks and improvements that we need. Im talking about a serious improvement in our utility and certain improvement in surviveability.

And I think its time to tiny feedback about the new AAs. Im very disappointed in general. If Holy Warding seems to me a pretty good ability, then Diamond Flesh is just awful in its current state. To be honest, I dont understand why almost all abilities are shared between all classes. This is the first AAs after 7 years of playing everquest 2, which really upset me. I think it means something. Nobody says that they should significantly improve the character, but in the very least they should not be shared by all classes, all the uniqueness of this game is lost. Abilities can be shared between fighters, mages, etc, but certainly not between all classes.
Old 10-08-2014, 02:19 PM   #8
Maergoth

And yet, paladin survivability is hilariously better than SK survivability a lot of times. Even with all of those factors considered.

A big issue with the new AAs is that we already lean on a short duration short recast 35% damage reduction against everything. It is one of the staples of our survivability. Now, not only is our new ability a watered down weaker version of it that only works on magic damage, but it's being given to SK too, which was only suffering due to a lack of exactly that.

The DPS stuff is going to help SK a lot too, since their combat arts and spells are less of a joke than Paladin abilities. Pretty sure SK single target taunt is better than anything a paladin has now, for single target.. and their AOEs annihilate ours.
Old 10-08-2014, 03:24 PM   #9
Bratman

Maer, I dont agree with you in this situation, I hope you will forgive me. In any case, a direct comparison of all abilities very good indicator. Also there is an example - Mahgnus, who switched from his paladin to sk and he spoke that sk beat us in all aspects: from snaps to surviveability. And again, a direct comparison confirms this. But I believe that this topic isnt about comparing paladin and shadow knight, to be honest. We have to write a complaints about balance, because if things arent changed before the release of the expansion, then they will not be changed until the next beta. You're a respected member of our community and I would like to hear your ideas. In another topic you confirmed that you agree about most things from our awful utility to useless DA against massive (!!) hits. Class section is good, but in this section and in this topic can and should be repeated things that are out of date/should be improved. When we moved into the sports cars category, then we should have something that a sports car should have. Guardians brings great buffs, excellent surviveability. We didnt bring anything. If a group with guardian becomes much more tenacious, and this is particularly important when a raid (in particular the MT group) confronts powerful damage, a group with a paladin gets nothing. If healers had died, a guardian has a bunch of abilities that 100% save from any damage and his healers can be resurrected. We have only one such ability that lasts for a sufficient amount of time and always save us from damage (stonewall). I have already said that I dont have problems that guardian will always have a higher survival rate than paladin, but we should have at least some advantage, otherwise we cant resist them.
Is at least someone can say that my list is fiction? Almost all of the complaints in it due to outdated data. And a couple of important tweaks to improve surviveability. That sounds pretty fair, I guess.
Old 10-08-2014, 05:12 PM   #10
Maergoth

SKs are definitely more squishy than paladin. The only true advantage they have is their death prevent, on short fights. longer duration and longer recast are not strengths. Stonewall destroys Furor. Devout Sacrament destroys SK Crusader's Faith. They are just much more flexible.

A paladin properly using his abilities will out-survive everything but a zerker. Guardians have a slight edge when it comes to huge hits due to their stoneskins. Recently, guardians also became DPS machines. Paladin DPS is awful. However, almost every tank has the ability to survive almost every situation.

The only thing ANY class can die to, currently, is one or two shot back to back melee hits. Nobody's weak in the survivability department. Remove survivability from the picture, and here's what we have.

Brawlers: Offensive utility, DPS
Guardians: defensive utility, huge DPS
SKs: DPS, minor offensive utility (Needs attention, honestly)
Zerkers: Also needs attention, but basically invincible, so.. fix that, and then buff them.
Paladins: Aggro, and some reflect shenanigans which would be great if it was more consistent.
*cough* caster can not avoid attacks while Faith is running *cough*

Here's the problem with aggro, though. Even moreso than survivability, aggro just isn't a big problem. A guardian can say "Well, I can survive just fine.. so let me trade some mit for strikethrough, or hategain"

A paladin can't say "Well, amends is all the aggro I need, so let me just trade aggro for mitigation or DPS. You can't reforge out of amends. You can't gear out of Amends. It's not an advantage unless it allows you to gain elsewhere.

Maybe if there was a significant raidwide benefit to skipping the hate transfer in the MT group, but there really isn't. Stuff like that would make amends powerful. That just isn't the world we live in, unfortunately.
Old 10-08-2014, 05:50 PM   #11
Bratman

If we're talking about a huge incoming damage, then we are forced to use DS + Crusaders faith to deal with it. Longer recast also means a longer duration, so I would not call it a weakness. With 100% reuse time speed stonewall 12s duration and 45s recast/furor 26s duration and 120s recast, but furor is also a powerful aggro boost and it lasts a little longer than twice (12s vs 26s). And paladin never will out-survive guardian/monk/berserker. Guardian has the full absorb of any damage, monk has a huge number of abilities that make him almost immune to physical damage, berserker combines the pluses of guardian and has some DR abilities and death saves and omg self-healing. Let's not discuss the other classes in this topic, and focus on our problems, please.

Dont you agree with the first four complaints on my list? I think those are the things that are frankly outdated and that without any requests should be raised to the current level. If we keep quiet and think that they know and remember, we get another x-pac where we will have the old and useless abilities. Xelgad asked to write about balance and I try to do it. Maintain a constructive topic.
Old 10-08-2014, 06:14 PM   #12
Maergoth

I agree that Manawall still falls short, Divine Aura is not useful or versatile on content that matters, and our utility is waaay outdated.

I should also mention that I didn't realize the 1:30 recast on the new "Holy Warding" ability was AFTER reuse speed.

Any commentary on making it unmodifiable is now nullified. 1:30 would be acceptable for a group buff, but 3 minutes isn't acceptable for... anything.
Old 10-10-2014, 12:41 AM   #13
Tombstone

Where should I sign up? I agree with all the words about our shortcomings. The problem is that there are only a few paladins who see high-end content and objectively see the problem. I see two problems: utility and one-shots. Both of these problems are critical and both issues should be resolved in the beta. I do not want to write a large amount of text because it has already been done, but I want to say that I hope certain tweaks to be made. Thank you.
Tombstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2014, 01:11 PM   #14
Kalika

My paladin rock against moderate content, the only tank that can rez his healer ....
But i see clearly the shortcoming of our "immunities" against very big damage. We already adressed the issue in the live forum.

But i have to say that the paladin new prestige is way better than my warden one which is really not good at all.
Kalika is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2014, 05:19 PM   #15
Maergoth

The new paladin prestige is awful in its current state. I haven't seen the warden one, but what's the point of making a set of new abilities that no one is excited about?

"The paladin one isn't as bad as the warden one".. Even if that were true, is that really the feeling you want to have? It's not as bad as the others? Opposed to "Whoa, this is awesome."
Old 10-11-2014, 05:43 AM   #16
Lovestar

This is kind of general feedback about AA's across classes, but I've been working on my Pally lately so

So, OK. I don't mean to be cynical... but I'm kind of AA'd out here. I'd rather have 1 awesome ability that costs 25 points and just exists as a single big giant square in the middle of the AA pane, than a billion more piddle circles to click through and grudgingly keybind.

Like, honestly, some amount of piddle-points is good for tree-based progression systems. Sometimes it's just fun to click stuff all over the class and be like "YES! POINTS! GOING EVERYWHERE!" Or to get that feeling of catharsis as you climb out of the junk rows and seize your awesome super-power.

But I'm kind of piddled-out. Would rather have "cool" like the current Live Prestige branches — which really gives you a sense of defining your character and getting awesome new toys — than columns and columns of more piddle.

Piddle like the kind-of gross early regions of the Live Heroic or Subclass or Shadows AA's where it's like honestly you could just click blindfolded until you hit the Crusader's Faith +10s or +24% Block or Stonewall, and never really care what you got until then.
Lovestar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2014, 06:43 AM   #17
Kalika

I saw a 30% DR on my paladin (this was a quick examine on his beta clone ... he won't play the beta i m too lazy to make him a dps set ) we get another heal ... we are already healing machines we need sometting else than heals .... see
as example if our final had been turning cyclone in a group spell that would have been something .. or if final was turning tranquility into a cure reactive with 3 charges ... that would really rock ... but no lack of imagination, lack of dev playing the classes they work on ... and so we can yet another heal ;-(
Old 10-11-2014, 09:42 AM   #18
Kalika

Old 10-11-2014, 08:12 PM   #19
Maergoth

Paladins are already damage reduction tanks. Devout Sacrament is up just about half the time. A 30% magic-only damage reduction has no place in our save rotation. It's something I can't even imagine I'll be clicking much of. It's like if you took the worst parts of devout sacrament, and the worst parts of Legionnaire's Conviction and combined them into an ability that no one asked for.

At least another heal can actually be used to heal something. Especially if it's powerful, like the other healer heals (Clerics get a HUGE HoT, supposedly). The paladin stuff is stuff I don't even see myself finding a use for.

But we'll see.

The problem is, I just haven't felt like my class has developed since DoV.

"These aren't supposed to be powerful."

Even the grandmaster and ancient spells aren't interesting to me. There isn't a single non-AA ability that I use on my tank that I think "Oh jeeze, I wish this was slightly more effective."

Amends? I don't think I could lose aggro if I tried.
Sigil? Same deal.
Divine Favor? 105% of my max health healed on trigger instead of 100%.
Any of our combat arts? They don't do damage already. 0x0=0
Buffs? Almost every single one of the paladin buffs, self buffs, group buffs OR raid buffs are completely outdated.
Stances don't gain anything useful either.

Sad fact: Remove every ability except the ones given to a paladin from AAs / Prestige and our class would perform to 90% capacity.

That doesn't make much sense to me.
Old 10-12-2014, 01:24 PM   #20
Maergoth

At least sk gets some bang out of some of those combat arts and spells. Paladin stuff is basically sk stuff minus the dots.
Old 10-12-2014, 05:54 PM   #21
Darkon

Yeah, I guess. All my ca's combined do something like ~250k while tanking though. Basically a bristlebane wrist.
Darkon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2014, 06:20 PM   #22
GIndotto

About that Divine Favor Grandmaster.........105% heal? We don't have that much unconscious health (at least I don't on my Paly) so surely this will be changed to 100% heal and 5% ward maybe? This has to be missed oversight...
GIndotto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2014, 07:55 PM   #23
Maergoth

No, it can't be an oversight because there wasn't much, if any "sight" involved. I really, really doubt someone went through every ability in the game to see how it upgraded from Master to Grandmaster.
Old 10-12-2014, 08:59 PM   #24
Darkon

I was going to log in to farm rares. Then I realized the only ability that would affect my gameplay at all whether it's apprentice 1 or grand ancient master god tier 9000 is my defensive stance.

Same is true for sk's.

Also, our single target taunt is also OUR best ability, so saying you have nothing as good for single target then mentioning our best single target ability... I see what you did there.
Old 10-12-2014, 10:28 PM   #25
Darkon

They just +5-10%'d them all, or whatever.
Old 10-14-2014, 06:38 PM   #26
Myanta

Wish there was a High Elf Male Avatar LOL.

I have been around a very long time, since EQ1 and love playing my Paladin in EQ2. Right now I am the MT for my raid group, I actually switch off with our Guardian but most of the time I MT. Only done a few mobs in ToV so far but we are progressing. What I am saying is that for the most part I see no huge differences in tanks right now, at my level at least.

There is one caveat however. All tanks should be able to tank all single group encounters. What comes to mind is Ragefire. Why is it that only a Guardian or Berserker are able to tank this mob? It means that they are the only ones to get the best mount. I have to tell you this makes me more then a little upset. I understand it is due to their reactives as well as better mit but as I said, a Brawler or Monk should also be able to do this. Either change the encounters or fix the abilities so that we have the survivability.

Hats off to Maergoth, his lead has shown me how to be a good Paladin. Thanks

[IMG]
Myanta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2014, 09:31 PM   #27
Maergoth

I should mention that I tanked Ragefire worldwide first, before it was nerfed into the ground. With that said, it was also changed a bit, and I haven't done it lately.

If you are having trouble doing it as a paladin, it is mostly due to a healing problem or a DPS problem. Not a tanking problem, generally speaking. If you can't get the heals to burn through the adds, or the DPS to kill the named before they become overwhelming, I recommend you actually attempt to complete the script and killing at least some of them.

The fight will last much longer, but you'll survive.
Old 10-15-2014, 12:35 AM   #28
Darkon

Our paladin carried my sk through his when we first killed it. Any fighter can tank ragefire. As Maer said it's not so much of a tank issue usually. Although berserkers are incredibly overpowered on that encounter. I had a berserker solo my ragefire update for my 5 alts.
Old 10-16-2014, 05:48 PM   #29
Ogdinmar

I don't play a my paladin as a main but looking at it I agree its a bit underpowered duration wise (though I like the change to it otherwise) honestly I don't see why a 20 sec duration is really out of the question I mean its limited to 15 hits. 20 sec seems solid enough to help maximize the usefulness of this ability even with a 1:30 recast at max. Especially if the duration is part of the reuse.
Ogdinmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2014, 06:06 PM   #30
Kalika

Ragefire was probably simpler when you could ignore its script, last time we tried tank went from 100% to zero within a second ... not even time to use faith of the fallen ;-) our dps was too low indeed.

Back on topic :

Against content for which Divine Aura become useless (hit over half our hp) there is a problem ;-) Manawall was designed to absord damage equal to 5-10 times our HP pool, today 1 absord like 1 time our HP pool.

Note that since those abilities are common to crusaders so it's more a crusader issue than a paladin one.