EQ2 Forum Archive @ EQ2Wire

Go Back   EQ2 Forum Archive @ EQ2Wire > EverQuest II > Class Discussion > Priest's Sanctum > Warden
Members List Search Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 03-29-2007, 06:46 AM   #1
Haffel

General

I've looked at a mount guide on the net and just dinged 40 on my warden. I currently don't own a mount but i am thinking about buying a t3 mount (40%). It costs 9p but can be brought down to 5 via guild. My guild is currently only lvl 7 so i was wondering, is it possible to join another guild that is 25+ and buy the horse , just right off the bat ? Or how does it work. I currently have 6p, so would be nice to save a few plat if possible. Furthermore, if i buy the mought through another guild and decide to leave , will i still be able to use it. Well, basically i'd like some info on how the whole buying horse thing works with the guild benefits.

Thanks on advance.

Haffel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2007, 11:07 AM   #2
MullenSkywatcher

Loremaster

There is only one factor in mount purchasing, the initial price (Coin and/or Status).  This is modified by your guild level.  Yes you can join a higher guild, buy the horse, and disband with no penalties.  Once the summoning device (horse whistle) is in your inventory, you are good to go!
Old 03-29-2007, 05:02 PM   #3
RpTheHotrod

Loremaster

Lil plat-saving tip. Or you can spend 5 AA points in the EoF AA tree and get 45% runspeed without a mount.
RpTheHotrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2007, 05:12 PM   #4
ZUES

Loremaster

Yup the only reason any warden or fury should buy a mount is for the mistrunner/nightmare or the guild level 60 mount. You wasting your money otherwise. Save for the 14 plat to buy the 50% horse.
ZUES is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2007, 05:21 PM   #5
Bloodfa
Server: Nagafen

General

Listen to those guys, they know what they're saying.  I've got a Warden alt who cranked the speed up to 45% bonus on Sow, and the only mounts faster are the level 60 ones.  Nobody in a 60 guild is going to let you get a horse right off the bat; they want to make sure you stay and pay your dues (ie. get some guild xp and get promoted a rank or two).  For a Warden to spend the plat on that, it'd be a waste.  Besides, nobody knows how fast you are when on foot; it might save your life a time or two.

Bloodfa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2007, 07:54 PM   #6
Frametree

Loremaster

ZUES wrote:

Yup the only reason any warden or fury should buy a mount is for the mistrunner/nightmare or the guild level 60 mount. You wasting your money otherwise. Save for the 14 plat to buy the 50% horse.
And get the old j-boots out for another 10%, for 55% total.
Frametree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2007, 04:43 AM   #7
metacell

Loremaster

Agree with previous poster. And in case somebody missed it, mounts do not stack with any other speed buff, making Journeyman Boots + Spirit of the Wolf the only choice for the warden who wants maximum speed. Does anybody know if totems, Blood of the Wolf, or the level 70 speed buff drink you get from a quest, stack with the above?
metacell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2007, 08:32 AM   #8
Taea

Loremaster

Warden SoW stacks with the Droag Scale Swill you get from the collection quest. I ran around for 3 hours one day at 85% run speed SMILEY
Old 03-30-2007, 12:03 PM   #9
Rangequest

Hero

Animist Treads stack with SoW = 55% with treads and bonus.

Overclocked Gnomish Crosstrainers stack with SoW = 100% (brief bonus) good for running up to mistmoore castle also with bonus.

Rangequest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2007, 01:53 PM   #10
Oakum

Loremaster

The only reasons a person may want a horse are for the extra stats or to avoid having to recast SoW all the time. The guild lvl 40 horse gives plus 200 to all resist and the guild lvl 60 gives a plus to focus and some other skills.
Old 03-30-2007, 07:27 PM   #11
Skivley101

Loremaster

+7 focus,crushing,peircing,slashing
Old 04-03-2007, 02:26 PM   #12
Skivley101

Loremaster

well it looks like i was still using the seems to me method  SMILEY

the stat increase for the guild lvl 60 mount is  +7 focus,ranged,peircing,slashing ........no crushing (dang that sux ... i mostly use crushing)

Old 04-03-2007, 03:32 PM   #13
Skivley101

Loremaster

LOL...well i guess ive been sniffin glue ....It does increase crushing also ..... But sony has been messing with me ....Ive got 2 diff pics of horse examine windows ...showing different wordings ......as soon as i resize em ill post to em for the proof if anybody really cares.
Old 02-20-2008, 12:58 PM   #14
IcterusGalbula

Loremaster

I have a tier 5 warden and have never had a mount.  I am thinking of buying the Mistrunner Variety Warg: cost is 750,000 status and 40 plat.

I am not in a guild, but will probably try to join one briefly to get the mount.  Would that lower the price any?

Currently I have 60% run speed.  However, I play on a PVP server.  So I am thinking if I get a mount I can respec my AA more toward melee and less toward movement and still be able to travel quickly.

I'm also thinking I will be able to use Spirit of the Jaguar totems to avoid being tracked without losing my speed.  It is my understanding that currently if I use a Spirit of the Jaguar totem while on foot I lose my speed.  However, I assume my mount would not lose its speed if I use a Spirit of the Jaguar totem.  Is that correct?  Or would my mount lose its speed too when I use a Spirit of the Jaguar totem?

Thanks for any thoughts on this.

P.S.

Am I correct that the price is 750,000 status and 40 plat.  Also, if I have 750,000 status and 40 plat when I buy the mount will I have 0 status and 0 plat after I buy the mount?

I've never purchased an item with a status requirement.

IcterusGalbula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2008, 01:57 PM   #15
Skivley101

Loremaster

Holy necro thread .... Yes you will have 0 , if you have exactly what it costs ... But , with the old mounts you could sell them back  for all your status and a little coin loss i think. Not sure about the new mounts though.

PS: Ill do a little ingame test with a peice of gear ....Brb

Old 02-20-2008, 02:04 PM   #16
gatrm

Loremaster

heh...old thread.  Also if you use an invisibility totem (jaguar or chameleon), you lose all runspeed bonuses, mounts included.  Certain races can run at 15% stealthed though.
gatrm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2008, 02:22 PM   #17
Overburnzz

Loremaster

save the PPWardens run faster than any mountpresently i run at 65%and you can do it too
Old 02-20-2008, 02:29 PM   #18
Skivley101

Loremaster

Well the bottom of the barrell pony costs ...2P 1G 60S 52500 status

Sells back for ....... 65G 82S 86C 52500 status

I cant imagine its that same ratio for all of them .... did notice on my 6.5 plat gear it sells for 4.5

So the ratio is probably around 2/3- 3/4 depending on the price , But they all give all the status back im sure.

I got this info from Terrens grasp , I have 41K faction with them , and my guild is lvl 25 ... not sure if any of that effects the price.  But im sure someone else will probably come along with the info sooner or later.

Old 02-20-2008, 03:46 PM   #19
IcterusGalbula

Loremaster

Thanks for the replies.  I get the impression from this thread that wardens simply don't need mounts.  The mount I mentioned provides benefits other than speed: increased spell damage and perhaps increased health or power, but maybe not 40 plat worth.

I'm sorry to hear that the Jaguar totem takes away speed even from a mount.  That is a big negative.

I do like the idea of being able to respec my AA.  I only have 48 AA since I did not realize until late how important AA is.

Anyway, if I do not get a mount, I'm wondering what to do with the 450,000 or so status I've saved up.  I can easily spend the money I've saved either on adornments (since my transmuter is not up to current levels either) or on a mount for another of my toons.

Speaking of other toons, if speed is the primary advantage of a mount, I assume most rangers do not bother getting a mount either?  I've been told rangers are the only class in the game faster than wardens.

So I guess a mount would be more for mages, fighters, and perhaps Swashbucklers, Dirges, Templars, Furys, Troubadors, and Mystics?

I have a Swashbuckler and a Fury and a few mages.

Thanks again for the advice.

IcterusGalbula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2008, 04:13 PM   #20
Lilj

General

IcterusGalbula wrote:

Speaking of other toons, if speed is the primary advantage of a mount, I assume most rangers do not bother getting a mount either?  I've been told rangers are the only class in the game faster than wardens.

So I guess a mount would be more for mages, fighters, and perhaps Swashbucklers, Dirges, Templars, Furys, Troubadors, and Mystics?

I have a Swashbuckler and a Fury and a few mages.

Thanks again for the advice.

Hehe, no mounts are not for bards either if they only want it for speed. Bards can be 1% faster than wardens SMILEY So both ranger and bards are faster than wardens (and I guess furies can be faster too, just for a shorter time).If you happen to be a highlevel tradeskiller, you could consider making your crafting epic. This will give an earring that will give you 45% speed boost. It's a clicky effect that last 1 day, so you don't even have to wear the earring to gain the speed effect.It also stacks with Journeyman boots, so you can reach 55%, so it works precicely like your improved SoW.
Old 02-20-2008, 09:19 PM   #21
Arielle Nightshade

Loremaster

I have My Little Pony, a pink saddled navy blue mistrunner...or whatever it is (will post a picture when I can find one!).   I will cast it and zone in to somewhere to have the buff, and to sit around looking precious.   But when I really want to take off and actually get somewhere fast, it's Jboots and AA 45% run speed...no horse.  (Side note:  my barbarian companion now has some racial thing that gives him 5 MORE percent..so buffed by ME with jboots I HELP HIM GET..he's faster than me.  I have told him it doesn't bother me.  pfft.)

I basically bought the horse because...well..it's pink.   The buff is nice too.  But as others have said, your plat (at this point) is better spent on adornments, equipment and spell upgrades, IMO.

And also backing up what others have said:  If you ask to join my level 80 guild to buy a horse, I'm going to either tell you 'no' or 'sure..20p'....so you really won't save any at all.   I earned my horse - that's kind of where that comes from.   Unless you find an exceedingly kind guild, you'll be better off to just go with runspeed.  If you REALLY want a mount just to have one, the Warg quest in Loping Plains is a good one..or you can even get a warg if you play LoN (ew). 

As far as your status is concerned, you might just hang onto it.  When you guild levels a little bit higher (20? I think? that's not that far off..lower guild levels go fast) you have signets and items that help you in combat that you can purchase for some coin and status.  Also, not sure if this is important to you, but...status points buy titles too.    There's nothing that says you HAVE to spend them.  If they are burning a hole in your pocket, though, take a look at some nice house items that offer rent status reduction that you can get.  The pictures and other items are really quite nice.  My alchemist has 'Gnoma Obscura' over her worktable in her house by her mailbox - all 3 items purchased with status.  

Arielle Nightshade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2008, 11:47 PM   #22
Skivley101

Loremaster

Arielle Nightshade wrote:

And also backing up what others have said:  If you ask to join my level 80 guild to buy a horse, I'm going to either tell you 'no' or 'sure..20p'....so you really won't save any at all.   I earned my horse - that's kind of where that comes from.   Unless you find an exceedingly kind guild, you'll be better off to just go with runspeed.  If you REALLY want a mount just to have one, the Warg quest in Loping Plains is a good one..or you can even get a warg if you play LoN (ew). 

I can join your guild for 20 plat?

But as long as i dont buy a mount i can stay in?

SMILEY

Hehe ... I allready have a guld lvl 60 mount (earned)

Old 02-21-2008, 04:54 PM   #23
Arielle Nightshade

Loremaster

I'd make a special exception for you:   50p.
Old 02-22-2008, 03:51 PM   #24
Torri
Server: Lucan DLere
Guild: Lioncourt

Loremaster

A downside to horses I did not see anyone mention yet is the decrease in maneuverability. Sure, they are fine running forward, try backing up on one (Or any mount) The cost + loss of maneuvering for me is not worth the stat benefits. Plus I always hated people that sat around in groups on their mounts in EQ1 taking up space and blocking sightlines.
Torri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2008, 06:08 PM   #25
Arielle Nightshade

Loremaster

Oh, that's a really good point Torri, for sure.    Didn't think of that while giving advice.    The horses at higher guild levels are really nice for the buffs they give, but for us, that's about it.

That said, I don't think Wardens want to start playing the "Sight line" card - what with The Tree and all ::grin::

Old 02-22-2008, 06:41 PM   #26
Skivley101

Loremaster

[email protected] DLere wrote:
A downside to horses I did not see anyone mention yet is the decrease in maneuverability. Sure, they are fine running forward, try backing up on one (Or any mount) The cost + loss of maneuvering for me is not worth the stat benefits. Plus I always hated people that sat around in groups on their mounts in EQ1 taking up space and blocking sightlines.

Lol ya .... Horses need a flashing light with the ... Beep ... Beep ... Beep

The cool thing about the 5o/60 guild lvl & Rok mounts ... Is that you can cast it, enter a dungeon and still have the extra buff without the graphic & speed buff.  But of course you can cast your sow for speed.

Edit to add ... If you die, you couldnt cast your mount untill outside though.

Personally, I dont like the 45% Sow in dungeons , I have mine at 35% ... SMILEY