EQ2 Forum Archive @ EQ2Wire

Go Back   EQ2 Forum Archive @ EQ2Wire > Station Forums > Player Studio Discussion
Members List Search Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 11-06-2012, 04:10 PM   #1
Kurogo

The Quiet Type

Some questions I had while designing my submission are:

1. What unit scale should I set 3dsMax to when designing my model? I tried to compare to what I estimated the distillery to be, but when using Max Units, it didn't seem correct. Does the Distillery represent a 6 foot high object?

Official Respone is:

1.  We set our units in Maya to Centimeters and still work assuming humanoid scale from there (we setup our grids on a meter scale and roughly assume 2 meters is a human, etc when working on environments).

Scale is the easiest thing for us to massage internally if it's incorrect. I wouldn't stress too much on this, but very much appreciate you're interested in getting your work to come in at an expected scale right off the bat! -HaohmaruEQ2

With that being said, this is how I set my scale in 3DS Max 8:

So I have set the Max Unit (MU) to Feet (Ft) to a custom 1:0.01. This seems to be comparable to the distillary which is approx. 5' high at this scale.

To get this custom scale go to:

Customize>Unit Setup>System Unit Setup

Then set 1 Unit = 0.01 Feet

This should enable comparable scaling to the example distillary.

2. I would like to eventually create animated furniture, will that be possible in the future? And if so, will it use bone animation, key frames, or something else?

2. At this time, we aren't looking to complicate the pipeline with animations - reason is due to how much we would have to touch it up on our end to get it through our in house export pipeline. It doesn't just translate like that and if we ever did allow something like this, it would need to be created in the same version of Maya we are using at the time to minimize issues and follow every convention we have in place (explaining that alone would be rough!) -HaohmaruEQ2

3. How would I be able to submit a model with transparent/semi-transparent textures? I would really love to submit some plants.

3. Currently, Alpha is not allowed per our texture guidelines. We are thinking about this one, primarily due to plants. -HaohmaruEQ2

4. Is it possible to have house items display guild heraldry, and how would we implement this? 

4. Internally, we have created a few items that can take on heraldry (one of our more recent backpacks as an example) but the system is incredibly strict and updated almost on a per item basis. It would also require our toolset to implement as it's heavily dependant on our shader and UV setup to work. Not likely. -HaohmaruEQ2

5. I have several items that fit together as a theme, or are too small to sell individually. Can I group them together as seperate models and files, but as a single SC package for sale?

5. Great question and something we've lightly talked about given some submissions we've seen. I don't have an answer but think there's merit in 'bundles' versus multiple small item releases (players would prefer this too) -HaohmaruEQ2

If anyone else has questions they want to add, I'll update the OP along with any answers we get so that it will be easy to find them.

Kurogo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 07:56 PM   #2
Kur0

removed.

Kur0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 01:35 AM   #3
Shylaria

The Quiet Type

Hi everyone!  I'm really excited about the chance to actually create and submit items for EQ2.  I would like to know, what would be the easiest and best item creation program for someone who is a total noob at creating custom content? 

I was a bit disappointed to find that the Player Studio was not an actually SOE created program that would allow you to load in an existing item and recolor it.  I play the Sims 3 too and in that program there is an editor that allows you to recolor everything from clothing to furniture to walls and floor tiles. 

If anyone can please suggest a good program, I really want to learn to make things, I have some really great ideas!  You can email me at [email protected]  Id really appreciate any help!  Thanks!!

Shylaria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 12:52 AM   #4
feldon30

SOE Community Council

Shylaria wrote:

Hi everyone!  I'm really excited about the chance to actually create and submit items for EQ2.  I would like to know, what would be the easiest and best item creation program for someone who is a total noob at creating custom content? 

I was a bit disappointed to find that the Player Studio was not an actually SOE created program that would allow you to load in an existing item and recolor it.  I play the Sims 3 too and in that program there is an editor that allows you to recolor everything from clothing to furniture to walls and floor tiles. 

If anyone can please suggest a good program, I really want to learn to make things, I have some really great ideas!  You can email me at [email protected]  Id really appreciate any help!  Thanks!!

I'm pretty sure the items in The Sims 3 were created to be customized. EverQuest II began development in 2000 and is now 12 years old. If SOE were to limit PlayerStudio to recoloring existing items, it would prevent the creative freedom players have been asking for.

PlayerStudio right now allows two types of items in EQ2:

• Cloaks -- This doesn't require any special software or skills, just painting a texture in a program like Photoshop or Paint.NET.
  • Furniture -- This requires both 3D modeling ability and Texturing ability.

Head to Everquest2.com, click PlayerStudio, and then READ EVERYTHING you can find under FAQ, Getting Started, Style Guide, etc. Only then should you download the toolkit and get started.

What would be really nice to see is partnerships form between people who create the 3D models, and people who want to paint (texture) them. Some people are really good at one or the other but not both.

feldon30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 08:03 PM   #5
Kurogo

The Quiet Type

@Shylaria: What you use really depends on your abilities and resources. I use Max8 and Photoshop CS3 as my primary modelling and texture-making programs. After that it's a blend of Windows Paint, Corel Draw, DXT-BMP, Maya, etc. To my knowledge, Blender is still free and there is A LOT of support for it, both in developers and in technical assistance. I would begin your search there.

@Feldon: That would indeed be awesome, but the principle flaw is that someone gets paid. As it is now, submissions appear to only be capable of being made by individuals, and this isn't conducive to partnerships unless they know each other in person. Eventually perhaps people will be able to trade amongst themselves, but I don't see modelers/texture artists selling their skills on a one-time basis, or on an honor system.

Old 11-25-2012, 04:35 PM   #6
feldon30

SOE Community Council

Kurogo wrote:

@Feldon: That would indeed be awesome, but the principle flaw is that someone gets paid. As it is now, submissions appear to only be capable of being made by individuals, and this isn't conducive to partnerships unless they know each other in person. Eventually perhaps people will be able to trade amongst themselves, but I don't see modelers/texture artists selling their skills on a one-time basis, or on an honor system.

That is a bummer. Either it would have to be on the honor system, or each player submits the same item in different colors to roughly balance out the income.

feldon30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 12:44 AM   #7
Lianya

Happy Camper

Has anyone found a place that has good tutorials for the "normal" map?

I'm used to DAZ/Poser, where two different greyscale maps are used to achieve the same effect (bump and displacement). That format also prefers large texture maps... 3000x3000 or so... this makes an interesting challenge, learning to do things in detail on a much smaller scale.

At least the color and specular parts are familiar. 

I'm a bit surprised this forum is so slow and quiet... is everyone else either too shy to try, or already a pro game content creator?

*peers about curiously* There simply must be more people around, are they hiding in the woodwork? *snicker*

Lianya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 10:56 AM   #8
Slokia

The Quiet Type

Lianya wrote:

I'm used to DAZ/Poser, where two different greyscale maps are used to achieve the same effect (bump and displacement). That format also prefers large texture maps... 3000x3000 or so... this makes an interesting challenge, learning to do things in detail on a much smaller scale.

I'm a bit surprised this forum is so slow and quiet... is everyone else either too shy to try, or already a pro game content creator?

*peers about curiously* There simply must be more people around, are they hiding in the woodwork? *snicker*

Haha Lianya, i'm a little confused by the lack of people as well as, the lack of content in the shop already.  Hopefully, everyone is just acting like me and waiting to get an idea of what is accepted before they submit something.

As for your normal map question.  3000 x 3000 seems extremely large for game design but that would make since because "I believe" DAZ/Poser is more designed for CG shots.  I may be wrong though since I haven't really used them.  You might do a search for Creating Normal Maps in Maya and Zbrush.  These are the two programs of choice for me and there are tons of tutorials from video to pdf to whatever.  Hope this helps.

Slokia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 04:04 PM   #9
Eden_Evergreen

Happy Camper

They said at SOElive in the webcasts about PlayerStudio (which I think are still viewable) that it takes months to produce any single new item to a point of it being ready to appear in-game.

PlayerStudio first started taking submissions on October 20, and it is now only December. So it is very likely that this was the soonest that SOE could produce any items that were submitted to them on that first day that both passed inspection *and* that they received all the financial paperwork for.

For those reasons, I wasn't surprised that only a few things have so far reached the SC market. Instead, I was surprised to see anything before the end of the year!

I'm looking forward to more coming.

PS - like Lianya, I'm also most familiar with DAZ/ Poser format. That has a *very* different image-size preference. If curious, my free work in that format can be seen at the following link:  --> ClickMe <-- 

SMILEY

Eden_Evergreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 05:23 PM   #10
rollenzekson

Happy Camper

Lianya wrote:

The more experienced people are probably using Photoshop for textures and modeling they will be using Max, Maya and or ZBrush. For photoshop making a normal and spec maps are pretty easy. For normal maps you will want to download the free plugin from NVIDIA. Also there is a way to create your own normal map in Max (and I assume Maya), but it's more complicated. In ZBrush normal maps are integrated so if you can get a copy and learn to use it you would be golden.

For the record I do not claim to be an expert so take my info as such. SMILEY

rollenzekson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 03:34 PM   #11
HaohmaruEQ2

Developer

Kurogo wrote:

Some questions I had while designing my submission are:

1. What unit scale should I set 3dsMax to when designing my model? I tried to compare to what I estimated the distillery to be, but when using Max Units, it didn't seem correct. Does the Distillery represent a 6 foot high object? So I have set the Max Unit (MU) to Feet (Ft) to a custom 1:0.01. This seems to be comparable to the distillary which is approx. 5' high at this scale.

To get this custom scale go to:

Customize>Unit Setup>System Unit Setup

Then set 1 Unit = 0.01 Feet

This should enable comparable scaling to the example distillary.

2. I would like to eventually create animated furniture, will that be possible in the future? And if so, will it use bone animation, key frames, or something else?

3. How would I be able to submit a model with transparent/semi-transparent textures? I would really love to submit some plants.

4. Is it possible to have house items display guild heraldry, and how would we implement this? 

5. I have several items that fit together as a theme, or are too small to sell individually. Can I group them together as seperate models and files, but as a single SC package for sale?

If anyone else has questions they want to add, I'll update the OP along with any answers we get so that it will be easy to find them.

Heya Kurogo - here's a few belated responses from us on EQ2

1. We set our units in Maya to Centimeters and still work assuming humanoid scale from there (we setup our grids on a meter scale and roughly assume 2 meters is a human, etc when working on environments).

Scale is the easiest thing for us to massage internally if it's incorrect. I wouldn't stress too much on this, but very much appreciate you're interested in getting your work to come in at an expected scale right off the bat!

2. At this time, we aren't looking to complicate the pipeline with animations - reason is due to how much we would have to touch it up on our end to get it through our in house export pipeline. It doesn't just translate like that and if we ever did allow something like this, it would need to be created in the same version of Maya we are using at the time to minimize issues and follow every convention we have in place (explaining that alone would be rough!)

3. Currently, Alpha is not allowed per our texture guidelines. We are thinking about this one, primarily due to plants.

4. Internally, we have created a few items that can take on heraldry (one of our more recent backpacks as an example) but the system is incredibly strict and updated almost on a per item basis. It would also require our toolset to implement as it's heavily dependant on our shader and UV setup to work. Not likely.

5. Great question and something we've lightly talked about given some submissions we've seen. I don't have an answer but think there's merit in 'bundles' versus multiple small item releases (players would prefer this too)

HaohmaruEQ2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 12:17 AM   #12
Kurogo

The Quiet Type

For normal maps, I primarily use the Nvidia Normal Map Filter for Photoshop. It only takes a little bit of playing around to figure out how you can manipulate it to get the effects you want.

As far as lack of content, it is slow for now as people are testing the water so to speak. I have a lot to submit, but would like to streamline the process by only submitting a few items until one gets published, then I will have a better idea of what styles and techniques work and can start converting the rest of my submissions appropriately.

HaohmaruEQ2: Thank you for your responses. This definately gives me something to look forward to.