EQ2 Forum Archive @ EQ2Wire

Go Back   EQ2 Forum Archive @ EQ2Wire > EverQuest II > Planes of Prophecy Beta > Tradeskill Discussion
Members List Search Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 11-08-2017, 11:53 PM   #121
Alenna

exactly
Alenna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2017, 12:12 AM   #122
Mermut

From various comments from the devs.. it feels like the whole point of not upgrading the ponies and guild harveters is explicitly to make the basic mats 'worth something'... and 'something' in this case seems to be plat..
I do not understand why 'encouraging' crafters to spend plat to be able to level is a good or even desirable thing, but that seems to be at least part of the goal.
Mermut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2017, 12:21 AM   #123
Scrappyz

Because it'll encourage more Kronos to be bought and sold for plat so said crafters can afford broker prices.. thus filling DB's pockets
Old 11-09-2017, 12:22 AM   #124
Sejreia

Yep, sorry about the cnidcara hide comment. I didn't realize I'd done my harvest test after I read the update notes but just before the update went in, so I did that before the recent addition of nodes too! I was up too late BigGrin Glad to see this node system implemented, Thank You!
Old 11-09-2017, 12:29 AM   #125
Mermut

I doubt they're going to get many people who are primarily crafters buying krono to afford mats... it's far more likely they'll wait to buy PoP, not buy PoP, or something more drastic Frown
Old 11-09-2017, 12:34 AM   #126
Whilhelmina

I used the pakiat area port, went to the Drukyna Marsh and harvested along the way, in the marsh, then went into the water surrounding the isle and back to the marsh. At that time, somebody else was harvesting so the area was bare (but for a couple fungus).
The whole Drukyna Marsh harvesting tour is pretty long, so I was surprised to not get back some harvests when I finished.

Impressions:
  • too low number of fish nodes
  • fish nodes too far from the shore
  • surprised to not see a couple of fishes in said marsh
  • node spawn coverage is fine in this area (and everything spawns)
  • node respawn was way too low (for the amount of node harvested, if I had been on my harvest route above Paineel which I grinded for years and am very familiar with [including a couple months ago with same stats], it should have started respawning when I went back to my starting point)
Total for 1 hour (went from 500 base skill to 535 along the way):

Total : 1629
Celestial Spellshard - 1
cnidcara hide - 3
darkstone - 2
deadly mushroom - 64
etherium - 205
gnarled entwood - 354
golden ember - 183
greatmole meat - 173
nightmare cichlid - 99
Planar Energy - 1
plumewit hide - 165
rock fern - 66
rubicite ore - 2
storm ent heartwood - 8
storm stalk - 301
strand of ether - 2

great, I have now enough wood to do 14 carpenter writs (and didn't managed to max out my skill, go figure)

skills (started with 703)
fishing 732
Foresting : 730
Gathering : 738
Mining : 738
Trapping : 738
Bountiful Harvest : 64%
Rare harvest chance : 6%
(sumac kit and overclocked combine harvester)
Old 11-09-2017, 02:47 AM   #127
Alenna

or they are being told to do this so the mats on the marketplace you get for DBC will sell.
Old 11-09-2017, 02:55 AM   #128
Mermut

An interesting side effect of this change... there are going to be waaaaay more rares floating around. Crafters are going to have to do SOO much harvesting to level their toons, that they will be pulling way more rares out of nodes then the ponies would have brought back in the same time.

Soo.. regular mats might be 'worth something' with this change, but rares will, ironically, be worth LESS.
Old 11-09-2017, 03:12 AM   #129
Shmogre

That makes me afraid that they will simply lower the rare harvest chance. I hope not, as it would be nice to have something in exchange for changing the way the game has worked for years.

I think what non-tradeskillers don’t realize is that, yes, we used the ponies and harvesters, but we did actually venture out into the world to harvest for rares and special harvests. A lot. Often for hours at a time. And those that didn’t want to made it worthwhile for those who did, to the tune of hundreds of thousands to millions of plat.

With luck, our patience will pay off and we’ll get a kick-butt quest line, our ponies will learn to help us in PoP, and we’ll have something to offer the adventuring toons (many of us have those, too). I’m trying to be a positive ogre...after many years in Norrath in many roles, I’m hoping I can keep the streak going.
Shmogre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2017, 06:17 AM   #130
Lateana

Using my best harvester with nearly all gear and maxed skills (I know, its not a fair test)

One hour 10:52 PM CST until 11:52 PM CST 11/9/2017
Rare Harvest Chance 14%
Bountiful Harvest 75%
Harvesting Skills all at 760
No competition
Clear-Cut Harvesting
Rares:
Celestial Spellshard 2
Matron's Heart 1
Rubicite 16
Strand of Ether 23
Cnidcara Hide 7
Storm Ent Heartwood 8
Commons:
Plumewit Hide 269
Golden Ember 455
Rock Fern 163
Deadly Mushroom 152
Gnarled Entwood 463
Storm Stalk 512
Etherium 563
Nightmare Cichlid 22
Greatmole Meat 356
Notes:
Too few fish nodes
Total Harvests 3,012
Lateana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2017, 10:56 AM   #131
Whilhelmina

I realized afterwards, but I had already shut down the computer for the night, that this isn't 14 writs, but 14 combines, so 2 writs... AKA enough mats for 3 minutes of crafting (with a progress potion) or 10 minutes without.
Skills not maxed out and competition of a single harvester (who grabbed the whole respawn of the area I was in). And I was greatly slowed down by trying to gather some fish nodes at the same time.

The harvest session of Lateana above (with skills maxed out so no 5 tries per node) yielded enough wood for 18.52 carpenter combines, so 3 writs. For 1h of harvesting.
Old 11-09-2017, 12:43 PM   #132
jbc1948

Testing how much you can get harvesting in beta does give an idea what you could get over a set period. The main problem is Live will be way tougher as the amount of people trying to harvest will be huge--especially early on. The amounts you harvested in beta in 1 hour may take several hours on live. There will be a bit of relief early when there are multiple copies of Planes due to the early mad rush when an Xpac opens. Then it'll start going downhill. I hope we all enjoy searching for nodes on tracking and trying to win the race to it--then hoping you don't harvest a lot of 2's
jbc1948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2017, 04:14 PM   #133
Alenna

we harvesters need to get together and show them how it will be when the nodes are contested. then maybe they will understand why we need the ponies and guild harvesters.
Old 11-09-2017, 04:17 PM   #134
Alenna

that is why we need to get together as harvesters and show them what happens when all crafters have ot go and harvest for thier mats. I have a feeling we wont' even get enough after 1 hour to do one combine much less one writ.
Old 11-09-2017, 05:32 PM   #135
Stach

Wow this is awesome, back to the way EQ2 started out harvesting. I think this and the tithe changes are probably the two best things for the new expansion.
Old 11-09-2017, 05:54 PM   #136
knine

Sure, let’s go back to collecting spirit shards and no flying mounts. Take away familiars, etc. Take away things that you accomplished doing quest lines. The pack pony was a quest line reward and upgraded via another quest to sometimes get rares. You just don’t take that away lol. If you never did the line then so be it, but to the ones that have done it we are being told to p*** off so that we can experience the xpac lol. Chances are, and I’m going out on a limb here, that most people who have the pack pony are questers and get out in the overland anyway.
knine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2017, 06:19 PM   #137
Kander

Developer

We've already stated that there will be an upgrade for the pack pony when we release the signature line content after the expansion. No one is being told to piss off.

Locking this thread as it has become arguing and name calling.
Kander is offline   Reply With Quote