EQ2 Forum Archive @ EQ2Wire

Go Back   EQ2 Forum Archive @ EQ2Wire > EverQuest II > General EverQuest II Discussion > General Gameplay Discussion
Members List Search Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 01-10-2012, 08:56 AM   #121
General_Info

Lord

Ogremindes wrote:

As far as I can tell, the game is essentially unplayable past level 20 without either a monthly sub or being constantly nickle-and-dimed. For me, at least, the former is not an option. The latter is unequivocally obnoxious. Disappointing, the game up to 20 was fun, but at least it came up before I bought any of the expansions.

Downloading LOTRO now, I've heard good things about it and its silver equivalent seems to be not obnoxious at all.

Bye. It was a fun 40-or-so hours, but it doesn't look like I'll be back.

first off the game isn't "unplayable past level 20" for free accounts first get yourself in a guild which is new player friendly second ask around and see if anyone can make you some handcrafted or mastercrafted armor/weapons. if you are lacking on crafter type or another then invest in it yourself.

with a guild it is very easy to level crafter and keep yourself high enough to keep crafting yourself equipment to use when you adventure.

I craft my own armor and shields and the only thing i need made seperately is the occasional sword. as for food/drink i dont need any since i have another toon as a woodworker so i can make myself health/power regen and other totems.

EQ2 is very playable for a free account if you bother to do your research on it.

Old 01-10-2012, 09:12 AM   #122
Ogremindes

Journeyman

General_Info wrote:

Ogremindes wrote:

As far as I can tell, the game is essentially unplayable past level 20 without either a monthly sub or being constantly nickle-and-dimed. For me, at least, the former is not an option. The latter is unequivocally obnoxious. Disappointing, the game up to 20 was fun, but at least it came up before I bought any of the expansions.

Downloading LOTRO now, I've heard good things about it and its silver equivalent seems to be not obnoxious at all.

first off the game isn't "unplayable past level 20" for free accounts first get yourself in a guild which is new player friendly second ask around and see if anyone can make you some handcrafted or mastercrafted armor/weapons. if you are lacking on crafter type or another then invest in it yourself.

with a guild it is very easy to level crafter and keep yourself high enough to keep crafting yourself equipment to use when you adventure.

I craft my own armor and shields and the only thing i need made seperately is the occasional sword. as for food/drink i dont need any since i have another toon as a woodworker so i can make myself health/power regen and other totems.

EQ2 is very playable for a free account if you bother to do your research on it.

Sounds like a giant PITA, and there's too many great games around to put up with any BS.

Ogremindes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 10:14 AM   #123
Griffildur
Server: Antonia Bayle
Guild: First Lords

Loremaster

Ogremindes wrote:

Sounds like a giant PITA, and there's too many great games around to put up with any BS.

actually there's nothing worth playing anywhere. don't kid yourself

Old 01-10-2012, 11:57 AM   #124
General_Info

Lord

[email protected] wrote:

Ogremindes wrote:

actually there's nothing worth playing anywhere. don't kid yourself

if he cant be bothered to get into a guild, craft some of his own stuff and ask someone else to craft him stuff then he probably wouldn't reach level 90 adventure anyway with or without gold.

being able to equip all kinds of rarity gear doesn't mean you'll always be running around in non-crafted armor. there are so many quests it is easy to loose track of which questlines you should be picking up on to get better quested gear.

Old 01-10-2012, 01:28 PM   #125
Enever

Loremaster

I am not trying ot stir the pot or anything I don't even want to insult the people who thought of this decision, it is feedback period. All I even asked for was the REVIEW THE GEAR LIMITATIONS. Not everything else. But alas, some people jump the gun.

I have a friend who used to play, coming back after a few months, and unable to pay the montly gold fee. They stopped playing two days after they came back citing they can't do anything they used to without payng money.

The entire idea of this trhead was for feedback reguarding the 'Free to play' gimmick. I hope a Dev can read this thread and see what people have to say about it.

I'm not saying get rid of -all- limitations, but the gear and other things that were brought ot my attention by an interesting player that had to send me a e-mail because they were unable to post on the actual forums due to them being free.

That's another example. Let me Copy my e-mail I got for all to read:

-------------------------------------------------------

Hi. I am sending this because apparently with Everquest II F2P one cannot even post to the forums. I have spent about 3-4 hours installing and trying out Everquest II, and will quit. I have played the excellent EVE Online (1 week F2P), LOTRO (1+ months F2P), Rift (2 weeks F2P), DeadFrontier (continued F2P) and other games before deciding to purchase/subscribe, and the F2P version of Everquest is such a joke. I don't want to subscribe.

• You can harvest all sorts of stuff that you can't sell, broker, craft with, or store.
  • There doesn't seem to be any way to make any money at the lowest levels - at level 5 or 6 I have managed a little over 1 gold, plus tons of stuff I cannot sell.
  • I don't see any of the early quests having any weapon upgrades at all, and the skills seem limited.
  • While I understand that fee to play requires restrictions (because money does need to be made), there are so many that the game is not fun or challenging (in a good way) and there is no reason to try to level up. It feels like you are required to at least purchase Silver to see what basics you can do.
  • I will say that I DO find the user interface flexibility excellent - the reason I took so long to get to level 5 was because I was setting up the hotkeys and such the way I like and those options were very good. The graphics are pretty, but the gameplay is just too limited to beanything other than intrusive and unenjoyable.

What a waste of a perfectly good evening and what looks like it could have been a great game.PLEASE feel free to post this on my behalf so that the mods or devs or whoever see another fresh opinion. I am not going to purchase game time just to ask questions on the forum or to post this. Thanks!!-- ________________________________________Have a great day!-- ljbnomad / Leanomaa, level 5 EQ II

Old 01-10-2012, 01:54 PM   #126
ashnolo

Champion

FYI, I missed this at first too... The forums have a 72 hour wait from when you sign up to when you can post. You can post as a free player, but not for 72 horus after you register.

ashnolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 03:01 PM   #127
Sedenten

Loremaster

I do not feel outright removing the gear restrictions to be the best suggestion here.  Rather, some of the content should be adjusted to take free-to-play into account.  Destiny of Velious basic quest gear really shouldn't all be legendary.  Yes, it is a significant step up from previous expansion but that has been the case for every single content expansion released to date.  Gear gets better, or people wouldn't play with the content.  That shouldn't be reason to completely do away with the treasured equipment tag in the later content.

Unfortunately, item tags have become less and less meaningful with each expansion.  Legendary gear used to mean the gear was exceptional.  It seems gear with a Treasured tag is currently the rarest type of item you find in the end game, which seems backwards.  

I would not be against simply changing the majority of Velious solo-quested gear from legendary tag to treasured tag.  The stats of that gear really isn't amazing when you consider the heroic instanced gear, so it shouldn't have the same quality tag for the same expansion.  Free-to-play folks would have a reason to actually purchase DoV and be able to enjoy some of the solo content.  If they delve into heroics, then they'll start getting gear that is worth purchasing unlockers for.  

For the record, I am not and never have been a free-to-play person.  I was against all RMT, but at this point understand that it is inevitable to keep today's MMO's floating.  The current restrictions make sense the way they are, but some of the itemization and content design choices do not.

Sedenten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 03:37 PM   #128
Felshades

Loremaster

Maybe they should only lock out fabled?

It would make it easier for the folks that bought DoV to not get the shock factor and such when quest rewards are only legendary and would allow people to use quest rewards before, like dungeon quest rewards and the end line for the zone rewards, and the cloud mount line.

Also, I'd like to see that cloud mount come "unlocked". You do a long quest series to get a cloud for a ground mount.. that's fabled and unusable.

Felshades is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 04:24 PM   #129
Peogia

Loremaster

[email protected] wrote:

I do not feel outright removing the gear restrictions to be the best suggestion here.  Rather, some of the content should be adjusted to take free-to-play into account.  Destiny of Velious basic quest gear really shouldn't all be legendary.  Yes, it is a significant step up from previous expansion but that has been the case for every single content expansion released to date.  Gear gets better, or people wouldn't play with the content.  That shouldn't be reason to completely do away with the treasured equipment tag in the later content.

Unfortunately, item tags have become less and less meaningful with each expansion.  Legendary gear used to mean the gear was exceptional.  It seems gear with a Treasured tag is currently the rarest type of item you find in the end game, which seems backwards.  

I would not be against simply changing the majority of Velious solo-quested gear from legendary tag to treasured tag.  The stats of that gear really isn't amazing when you consider the heroic instanced gear, so it shouldn't have the same quality tag for the same expansion.  Free-to-play folks would have a reason to actually purchase DoV and be able to enjoy some of the solo content.  If they delve into heroics, then they'll start getting gear that is worth purchasing unlockers for.  

For the record, I am not and never have been a free-to-play person.  I was against all RMT, but at this point understand that it is inevitable to keep today's MMO's floating.  The current restrictions make sense the way they are, but some of the itemization and content design choices do not.

Felshades wrote:

Maybe they should only lock out fabled?

It would make it easier for the folks that bought DoV to not get the shock factor and such when quest rewards are only legendary and would allow people to use quest rewards before, like dungeon quest rewards and the end line for the zone rewards, and the cloud mount line.

Also, I'd like to see that cloud mount come "unlocked". You do a long quest series to get a cloud for a ground mount.. that's fabled and unusable.

Why is this game Advertised free to play because you can play it like a bad trial? for free and not have any fun at all

You cannot play in DOV unless you purchase DOV, you cannot use anything in DOV unless you buy a trillion unlockers after forking out over $10,000 in order to play the game that was suppose to be free to play?

has anyone els ever heard of another company implementing free to play so stupidly

I have heard of unlocking bag slots and bank slots and a ton of merchandise in cash shops in free to plays, but nickel and dimming the players to buy an unlocker for each spell or piece of gear in game to progress and play the game is far below the belt and isn't free to play

This free to play model would make a funny simpsons christmas special with scroog theme

If they wanna call this free to play then we shouldn't have to pay money in order to ware the clothes on our back that are required to play the game, that we either won in game a contest or looted quested ect in order to progress through game, fabled legendary ect shouldn't matter

If this is free to play why do we have to repurchase every single class and race in the game after purchasing the original Everquest II game to unlock these

If this is free to play why do we have to repurchase the fae and arasai races again after purchasing EOF exspasion

If this is free to play why do we have to repurchase Sarnak after buying kunark expansion

and the pop up browser every time when logging out of game is Intrusive

The FBI is encouraging users to visit a website run by its security partner, http://www.dcwg.org , that will inform them whether they're infected and explain how to fix the problem. After July 9, infected users won't be able to connect to the Internet.
Peogia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 04:32 PM   #130
Crismorn

Loremaster

Crismorn wrote:

Why would anyone pay $15 a month when you could have paid $30 for an entire year.

SoE should just forget about subs altogether, remove restritions altogether and just add tons of useful items to the cash store and make their money that way, relying on subs when a large portion of your playerbase is currently paying $3 per months is not going to cut it.

Crismorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 04:34 PM   #131
Crismorn

Loremaster

Lthena wrote:

As others have already stated, it costs money to run a MMO.

The idea is that free players WILL end up spending some money if they continue playing the game. Why? People who continue playing will feel that they like the game and are willing to unlock some of the features by paying extra.

The free to play system also allows players looking for a new MMO to test out the game without a lot of the limitations other 'free trials' have.

Lastly, many players will not understand the limitations of being a free player until they have played too long, to realize 'uh oh, I think I DO need to unlock this and this to have a more enjoyable time."

Dozens of players I have met tried the game under Free to Play and then decided to go Gold later on. I have also seen many players create 2nd (or 3rd) accounts and then later pay to make them gold.

Not if SoE puts useful items on the SC store like every single other proper ftp game, but how can we expect such intelligent decisions in a 7 year old game that recently moved over to ftp?

Old 01-10-2012, 04:43 PM   #132
Crismorn

Loremaster

[email protected] wrote:

Ogremindes wrote:

If you expect to play for free, any game then good luck with that wherever you go.

F2p does not exist unless you're happy killing your lvl 20 frogs until your game time is over.

Completely untrue, many ftp games allow you to play the entire game for free without any restrictions, subs or penalties, these companies make their money from selling useful cash shop items ingame while also allowing their playerbase to trade the ingame currency as if it were plat to other players, all of their cash shop items can also be traded or sold ingame for ingame currency as well.

Old 01-10-2012, 05:05 PM   #133
yohann koldheart

Loremaster

the freeport server was up for a year, and had guilds that required you to be silver or bronze and they flourished. the limitations aren't bad at all. if you cant afford 1.50 for a 5 charge unlocker then you need to go play cards or something because your obviously to poor to be playing a mmo.

the unlocks are cheap as dirt, you can level to 90 and not use a single unlocker easily. when you buy dov then you will need to buy the unlocks.

its funny how all these returning players and new players think free to play means they should get everything free, you get up to  SF for free which is more then enough content to keep you busy .  my 13 year old has his own silver account with a 90 on it and can afford the unlocks with his 15 dollar a week allowance.  so really  claiming the restriction are to strict is just asinine.

yohann koldheart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 05:16 PM   #134
Griffildur

Loremaster

Crismorn wrote:

[email protected] wrote:

Ogremindes wrote:

If you expect to play for free, any game then good luck with that wherever you go.

F2p does not exist unless you're happy killing your lvl 20 frogs until your game time is over.

Completely untrue, many ftp games allow you to play the entire game for free without any restrictions, subs or penalties, these companies make their money from selling useful cash shop items ingame while also allowing their playerbase to trade the ingame currency as if it were plat to other players, all of their cash shop items can also be traded or sold ingame for ingame currency as well.

bs, there is not a single game where you can play for free, unless you're happy doing irrelevant content.

Please do tell one game where you can truly play for free.

Old 01-10-2012, 05:16 PM   #135
Crismorn

Loremaster

I like how people who have never played a ftp game try to discuss ftp payment structures.

You should do what I do when discussing topics I have zero knowledge of, don't do it~

Old 01-10-2012, 05:19 PM   #136
Griffildur

Loremaster

yohann koldheart wrote:

the freeport server was up for a year, and had guilds that required you to be silver or bronze and they flourished. the limitations aren't bad at all. if you cant afford 1.50 for a 5 charge unlocker then you need to go play cards or something because your obviously to poor to be playing a mmo.

the unlocks are cheap as dirt, you can level to 90 and not use a single unlocker easily. when you buy dov then you will need to buy the unlocks.

its funny how all these returning players and new players think free to play means they should get everything free, you get up to  SF for free which is more then enough content to keep you busy .  my 13 year old has his own silver account with a 90 on it and can afford the unlocks with his 15 dollar a week allowance.  so really  claiming the restriction are to strict is just asinine.

Instead of trying to be judgemental towards the vets who actually supported this game for years, perhaps you should try and understand our point of view. 

*let's keep insults out of the forums please*

Old 01-10-2012, 05:20 PM   #137
Griffildur

Loremaster

Crismorn wrote:

I like how people who have never played a ftp game try to discuss ftp payment structures.

You should do what I do when discussing topics I have zero knowledge of, don't do it~

I actually played several f2p games and I am not impressed by any of them : lotro, atlantica online, rom does that count as having knowledge ?

How about you shut it or answer the question I asked you above ?

Old 01-10-2012, 05:37 PM   #138
yohann koldheart

Loremaster

Crismorn wrote:

who cares if i ever played a ft2 game, they are all not the same . this is how soe does this one and nothing is wrong with it.

this whole thread is nothing but a  "ur F2P isnt good enough i want MOAR MOAR free stuffs " thread

Old 01-10-2012, 05:39 PM   #139
yohann koldheart

Loremaster

[email protected] wrote:

yohann koldheart wrote:

Instead of trying to be judgemental towards the vets who actually supported this game for years, perhaps you should try and understand our point of view. 

who cares how long ago people supported the game , i do understand the point of veiw and its nothing but a soe's free is not good enough point of veiw. 

can you honestly sit there and say that 1.50 is to much for 5 unlockers ?   LOL

Old 01-10-2012, 05:47 PM   #140
Nrgy

Lord

I don't know why anyone is defending EQ2 and SOE's discision to move to this F2P model.  SOE, SJ and the EQ2 dev team have done a lot of bonehead things in the past year+, but this F2P model is by far the best thing they all have accomplished.  Defending this obviously good move for the game to people that can't be bothered to understand even the simplest of the basic concepts really don't need to stick around anyway.

EQ2 F2P model is by far the best F2P model out of any other mmo platform, beyond that the game content remains strong and fluid.  We, the players, don't always agree with the changes, but to be sure there is more and newer content ever time you turn around.  Cheers to SJ, SOQ and the Dev team.

This F2P model is the ONLY one that offers 90% of the gaming content at an exact cost of zero dollars.  I find it laughable that someone cannot make gold in the low levels, when I personally know people making plats, in the hundreds, in those same levels.  Gear restrictions might "seem" restrictive, but the game has recently been adjusted in the vast majority of that F2P content to allow even the lowest geared lowest DPS classes to excel in.

EVE Online (1 week F2P), LOTRO (1+ months F2P), Rift (2 weeks F2P), DeadFrontier (continued F2P)  Really?!? Comparing a 1 week, 2 week or 4 week trial is a weak Ssa argument when comparing to a 24/7/365 free gaming environment and what the heck is DeadFrontier, I'm less than impressed.

Playing a Trial of anything for 4 or 5 hours is immedaitely whinning rather than learning about it is troubling.  These are not the players we want to attract to this game anyways.

Nrgy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 05:57 PM   #141
Griffildur

Loremaster

yohann koldheart wrote:

[email protected] wrote:

yohann koldheart wrote:

who cares how long ago people supported the game , i do understand the point of veiw and its nothing but a soe's free is not good enough point of veiw. 

can you honestly sit there and say that 1.50 is to much for 5 unlockers ?   LOL

you obviously don't have a clue about dov *let's keep insults out of the forums please*

Old 01-10-2012, 06:02 PM   #142
Griffildur

Loremaster

yohann koldheart wrote:

Crismorn wrote:

who cares if i ever played a ft2 game, they are all not the same . this is how soe does this one and nothing is wrong with it.

this whole thread is nothing but a  "ur F2P isnt good enough i want MOAR MOAR free stuffs " thread

What on earth are you arguing here ? You are trying to sell f2p to someone who was perfectly happy to continue on a sub and not have to deal with the bunch of whinning freeloaders ?

Think again.

Old 01-10-2012, 06:41 PM   #143
Crismorn

Loremaster

I'm at a disadvantage since I've actually played ftp games before and seen how its done properly.

One of you guys should create a thread on something you know about that I do not such as crafting, I'll play your role of discussing something I know nothing about while you try to explain to me something that I could not possibly understand without any firsthand knowledge.

Old 01-10-2012, 06:42 PM   #144
willnotuse

Loremaster

[email protected] wrote:

yohann koldheart wrote:

Instead of trying to be judgemental towards the vets who actually supported this game for years, perhaps you should try and understand our point of view. Making judgements like that is a bit stupid.

As is yours.

willnotuse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 06:43 PM   #145
willnotuse

Loremaster

[email protected] wrote:

yohann koldheart wrote:

Crismorn wrote:

What on earth are you arguing here ? You are trying to sell f2p to someone who was perfectly happy to continue on a sub and not have to deal with the bunch of whinning freeloaders ?

Think again.

I seem to remember you stating before it was announced that we would all go F2P that you would cancel your account and leave the game if it did.  Still waiting.

Old 01-10-2012, 07:52 PM   #146
Griffildur

Loremaster

willnotuse wrote:

[email protected] wrote:

yohann koldheart wrote:

Crismorn wrote:

Think again.

I seem to remember you stating before it was announced that we would all go F2P that you would cancel your account and leave the game if it did.  Still waiting.

I did, the bought aod for 8 pounds.

not that is any of your concern . Anything else you'd like to know ?

Old 01-10-2012, 08:45 PM   #147
Michayla
Server: Najena
Guild: Valhallas Guard

Loremaster

Ogremindes wrote:

General_Info wrote:

Ogremindes wrote:

Which part is a PITA? Joining a guild, making a few friends, crafting or D) All of the above?

Welcome to MMORPGs. Enjoy your stay.

Michayla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 08:48 PM   #148
Michayla
Server: Najena
Guild: Valhallas Guard

Loremaster

[email protected] wrote:

yohann koldheart wrote:

Are those vets still supporting the game? If not, why should their opinion matter? They quit.

Michayla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 09:03 PM   #149
willnotuse

Loremaster

[email protected] wrote:

willnotuse wrote:

[email protected] wrote:

yohann koldheart wrote:

Crismorn wrote:

Think again.

I did, the bought aod for 8 pounds.

not that is any of your concern . Anything else you'd like to know ?

You waffle a lot.  Which means that your statements don't hold any weight.

Old 01-10-2012, 09:07 PM   #150
Odys
Server: Storms
Guild: Eternitalis

Loremaster

Cannot count how many veterans willing to test the game again left when the found out that they were naked.

A good option could be to allow ex live customers to keep their attuned gear. Further attuning will be done with unlockers or by going gold.

Another possibility would be a 1-2 monthes free gold subscription.