EQ2 Forum Archive @ EQ2Wire

Go Back   EQ2 Forum Archive @ EQ2Wire > Station Forums > Player Studio Discussion
Members List Search Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 12-17-2012, 06:14 PM   #1
rollenzekson

Happy Camper

I know it says polygons for what we are limited to, but I have been told by industry artists that polys means Tri's and not polygons. I have been sticking to using Tri's for my poly counts so far, but if I could get away with actual poly's I could add a ton more resolution on some models.

Also would submitting a model that has been multi-res'd be kosher?

rollenzekson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 03:11 PM   #2
Syrah

Player Studio Program Manager

rollenzekson wrote:

I know it says polygons for what we are limited to, but I have been told by industry artists that polys means Tri's and not polygons. I have been sticking to using Tri's for my poly counts so far, but if I could get away with actual poly's I could add a ton more resolution on some models.

Also would submitting a model that has been multi-res'd be kosher?

Correct.  Faces and polys are technically triangles.  I believe most obj exporters output tris.  Hence the value of double checking face counts by re-importing objs prior to submission.

I'm still working on the second question. The first guy I asked wasn't completely sure what “multi-res’” means.  There is a multi-res modifier in 3DS Max.  As long as the exported obj meets requirements, he didn't see a problem with it. Is this the right "multi-res"?

Another piece of advice was to export your model, then re-import it. See if it still meets your intended target. Apparently there are a number of potential issues which can be identified through this practice.

Syrah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 03:27 PM   #3
rollenzekson

Happy Camper

Yes multi-res is a 3ds_max mod that keeps the same shape, but can drastically reduce the poly count. One can use a few iterations of mesh smooth and get things looking really nice and then use multi-res to bring the poly count down, but the resulting geometry is ugly at best. With something that does not get animated it should not be a problem.

I wanted to get a general idea if I could get away with this before I potentially tortured one or more of your artists.

Old 12-20-2012, 01:39 AM   #4
floydbishop

Developer

I know that on Free Realms, a four vert face (polygon) gets converted to two tris (triangles) upon conversion to the in engine model. I would suggest sticking to tris if you can.

floydbishop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 03:06 PM   #5
HaohmaruEQ2

Developer

floydbishop wrote:

I know that on Free Realms, a four vert face (polygon) gets converted to two tris (triangles) upon conversion to the in engine model. I would suggest sticking to tris if you can.

Same thing happens in EQ2. No matter the face vert count, it ultimately gets broken down into triangles in game which is what our limit is based on.Also, rezing up (particularly via things like mesh smooth) to use a reduction tool to bring it down doesn't often work as well as it sounds on paper for reasons you mentioned and just maintaining a clean model. It reduces alright, but the reduction isn't always pretty and you immediately feel compelled to clean up the mesh. I'd recommend building and adding resolution where needed - with the poly limits we have in place, it's just wise particularly if you're planning your mapping approach as you build already (pinning UV borders prior to reduction/etc).Also, if we see models with unclean boolean intersections (loads of tiny tri's leftover usually) and lots of excess tri's as a result of procedural methods, we may decline it and ask for it to be cleaned up. The thinking overall is, is that the lower anything can be, the more anyone can use in their home!

HaohmaruEQ2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 09:44 PM   #6
Cakvala

Happy Camper

What i usually do in 3D Studio max for Everquest weapon ornaments, is keep the poly at 200 or lower, so when it is coverted to triangles (via OBJ export) it right at 400 or lower.
Cakvala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 02:34 AM   #7
rollenzekson

Happy Camper

Can just display the tri count in Max as well. I just wanted clarification just in case SOE operated differently than what I was taught. As far as the tri count goes I was taught to be as close to the max count as possible as long as it makes sense.

Old 02-17-2013, 07:48 PM   #8
Reliquary

Happy Camper

Syrah wrote:

I'm still working on the second question. The first guy I asked wasn't completely sure what “multi-res’” means.  There is a multi-res modifier in 3DS Max.  As long as the exported obj meets requirements, he didn't see a problem with it. Is this the right "multi-res"?

Another piece of advice was to export your model, then re-import it. See if it still meets your intended target. Apparently there are a number of potential issues which can be identified through this practice.

I assumed the OP meant N-gons (N sided polygons)  At least that is what the blender community calls it.

An 8 sided poly in traditional tri-fan fill = 8 faces. In N-gon mode, it is 1 face, like if you drew it in illustrator.

You (the Royal "SoE" You) did answer the question in so far as OBJ only supports tri's, so whilst n-gons might help the workflow, it is the output that counts.  So each N-gon side = 1 tri on output.  

TL;DR = use tri fan fill on polys with more than 4 sides.  all 4 sided polys = 2 tri's.

Reliquary is offline   Reply With Quote