EQ2 Forum Archive @ EQ2Wire

 

Go Back   EQ2 Forum Archive @ EQ2Wire > EverQuest II > General EverQuest II Discussion > Zones and Population
Members List Search Mark Forums Read

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 08-17-2005, 02:01 PM   #1
demolition tank

Loremaster
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 99
Default

Merge Some Servers Please, population is sad.

I am totally in love with Everquest 2. I love the crafting, harvesting, questing, teaming, even the grinding is fun in this game. My problem is I can’t find teams, and I rarely see people teaming or at all for that matter. I quit EQ2 a while ago and started back at the beginning of the month, during that time I managed to level a Berserker to level 28 on one of the higher population servers, fun, managed to get some stuff done, the population on my current server is “ok” during the day time, I can generally find teams during week days in a 2-3 hour window during peak time, and it’s great on weekends, but this server is how a “light” population server was at launch, if that many. The servers that were “light” to “medium” during launch, man, the population is like a ghost town.

Games like “world war 2 online” and “anarchy online” with tiny subscriber bases, 30,000 or less v.s. EQ2’s 350,000 or more, have better populations per server. I can sign on just about anytime of the day and find a team with in an hour or less. In EQ2.. Finding a team doesn’t come quickly, some times not at all. I personally have been spoiled by allot of the great features of EverQuest 2, and really can’t see my self playing another mmo, so when my account runs out at the end of the moth I will probably just be with out a MMO.  I’m seeing threads about this pop up every where and I hope SOE sees it’s a problem.

SOE! Please merge some servers!!

P.S.

I know people are going to have allot of “omg population is greatzor loerz n00b!!!11oneonenoe” post, but it’s honestly not. If you played at launch, just think back to when you would see 5+ instances of some zones, and now try to remember if you’ve seen 5 instances of any zones in the last month…or when you've seen a server say "heavy" when makeing an alt.

Message Edited by demolition tank on 08-17-2005 03:06 AM

demolition tank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2005, 03:21 PM   #2
Batez

Loremaster
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 44
Default

"

I know people are going to have allot of “omg population is greatzor loerz n00b!!!11oneonenoe” post, but it’s honestly not. If you played at launch, just think back to when you would see 5+ instances of some zones, and now try to remember if you’ve seen 5 instances of any zones in the last month…or when you've seen a server say "heavy" when makeing an alt.

"

 

You had 5 instances because you had 250000 people on 24 servers all in antonica / commons. and most of those 250000 people leveled at sort of the same rate so that led to TS / Nek  and still more to EL and Zek  now most of the people are 50  and they raid in instances that dont get numbered and they appear to be gone.  Untill the game is reset (not like that will happen) i doubt that we will see 5 instances again unless the 3.5 million WOW children decide to be EQ2 players in blocks of 250000 people and i would hate to have to deal with them.

Batez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2005, 04:02 PM   #3
Solaran_X

Loremaster
Solaran_X's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Posts: 396
Default



demolition tank wrote:

Merge Some Servers Please, population is sad.

 

I am totally in love with Everquest 2. I love the crafting, harvesting, questing, teaming, even the grinding is fun in this game. My problem is I can’t find teams, and I rarely see people teaming or at all for that matter. I quit EQ2 a while ago and started back at the beginning of the month, during that time I managed to level a Berserker to level 28 on one of the higher population servers, fun, managed to get some stuff done, the population on my current server is “ok” during the day time, I can generally find teams during week days in a 2-3 hour window during peak time, and it’s great on weekends, but this server is how a “light” population server was at launch, if that many. The servers that were “light” to “medium” during launch, man, the population is like a ghost town.

 

Games like “world war 2 online” and “anarchy online” with tiny subscriber bases, 30,000 or less v.s. EQ2’s 350,000 or more, have better populations per server. I can sign on just about anytime of the day and find a team with in an hour or less. In EQ2.. Finding a team doesn’t come quickly, some times not at all. I personally have been spoiled by allot of the great features of EverQuest 2, and really can’t see my self playing another mmo, so when my account runs out at the end of the moth I will probably just be with out a MMO.  I’m seeing threads about this pop up every where and I hope SOE sees it’s a problem.

 

SOE! Please merge some servers!!

P.S.

I know people are going to have allot of “omg population is greatzor loerz n00b!!!11oneonenoe” post, but it’s honestly not. If you played at launch, just think back to when you would see 5+ instances of some zones, and now try to remember if you’ve seen 5 instances of any zones in the last month…or when you've seen a server say "heavy" when makeing an alt.

Message Edited by demolition tank on 08-17-2005 03:06 AM



Instead of five instances of the newbie zones and CL/Antonica...I now see two or three instances of CL and Antonica, two instances of TS and Nek, and occassionally two instances of EL or Zek. Last time I was in Feerrott, we had close to 100 people and were probably about to get a Feerrott 2. Haven't done alot in Lavastorm or Everfrost yet.

If this is a "Light" population - I'm happy.

Solaran_X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2005, 04:07 PM   #4
Amise

Loremaster
Amise's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 473
Default

They do feel emptier I agree, I only have to compare the ease of getting a group six months ago to getting one now with an alt.  It's more difficult now for sure.  But that's not solely due to decreasing populations (although that is a factor), it is also because there are more people in other level ranges (just from doing basic counts on my server it seems that most people are 35+, which is several levels higher  than my alt).    My server is a very small one anyway, it was one of the last created and I've never seen more than three instances of any zone available (and three was extremely rare, only ever saw it happen a few times).  Still get two instances of TS/Ant most of the time, but of course it's rare that it ever happens in Nek or CL. I would say stick it out for another month and see what the revamp and expansion brings.   Maybe it'll bring servers back to "medium/heavy" status, who knows.

Message Edited by Amise on 08-17-2005 05:11 AM

Amise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2005, 04:11 PM   #5
Kyin

Loremaster
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 101
Default

Must be nice, I am from Nekulos, and 2 instances of anything but TS, CL, and Ant was something to be amazed at back when their were alot of people.  Sadly today we hardly ever see a 2 of anything.  With a LFG for all level ranges at any given time during the week you will get from 3-15 people of which maybe 2 migh be in the right level ranges.  For my last 3 levels 47-50 if i wanted a group I would have to do a search who all 45-49 and just ask everyone regardless of if they were lfg.  It is sad, I really would love some server merges.  The problem is SoE had the right amount of servers at first, but because the game hit and a ton of people played it they had to make more servers.  Now the people that wanted to free month or short time period are gone leaving you with your base players spread out over too many servers.  This gives the feel of emptyness which is something you do not want for a MMO game.  Combineing the servers would be wonderful.  I know its got its pros and cons but the pros i think are more important.  The biggest con I know of is the few big guilds on the mergered server would suddely have alittle more competition.  (to me a good thing)
__________________
Gustave 70 Mystic of Nektulos
Kyin 55 Conj
Kyan 55 Necro
Kyin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2005, 09:39 PM   #6
Tar~Palantir

Loremaster
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 328
Default

My server once had 2+ instances across the board of EL, Zek, Ant, Cl, Ts, nek, now...even antonica is dead and pfft, my server stopped having double instances of zek/el by march.
__________________
Echoes of Fadywer: Finally an expansion that doesn't create a rat race for max level.
Tar~Palantir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2005, 11:48 PM   #7
OperationsX

Loremaster
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 214
Default

Hmm, where's Caswydian   :smileysurprised:

 

Message Edited by OperationsX on 08-17-2005 12:49 PM

OperationsX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2005, 12:09 AM   #8
demolition tank

Loremaster
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 99
Default


Batez wrote:
"

I know people are going to have allot of “omg population is greatzor loerz n00b!!!11oneonenoe” post, but it’s honestly not. If you played at launch, just think back to when you would see 5+ instances of some zones, and now try to remember if you’ve seen 5 instances of any zones in the last month…or when you've seen a server say "heavy" when makeing an alt.

"

You had 5 instances because you had 250000 people on 24 servers all in antonica / commons. and most of those 250000 people leveled at sort of the same rate so that led to TS / Nek  and still more to EL and Zek  now most of the people are 50  and they raid in instances that dont get numbered and they appear to be gone.  Untill the game is reset (not like that will happen) i doubt that we will see 5 instances again unless the 3.5 million WOW children decide to be EQ2 players in blocks of 250000 people and i would hate to have to deal with them.


I played to level 40 in the two months or so, I saw 5 instances of TS and Nek, and 3 instances of EnchantedLands and Zeck, and this is back when you had to do an access quest. Also, while your "you don't see them because their all in instances!" argument might shine some light on not seeing people very often in the main areas, however, you totally ignore that the fact there has not been a "heavy" in months. This in it's self kind of tells me how poorly populated the game has become. However, if you meant "numbered" as in counted by the population counter, I’m afraid your wrong, do a population of your server and you will find they are counted in the "other" category.

Look at games, small games, like “World War 2 Online”, “Anarchy Online”, “Endless Ages”, ect.. the list goes on, there are allot of little games out there with maybe 20-50k subscribers, yet their servers are always bustling and alive 24/7, there are “peak hours”, but you don’t “have to” play peak hours to find a team with in a reasonable amount of time. These games have been around allot longer then EQ2, meaning more time for people to level to max level ect.. yet that doesn’t effect their populations at all, never even mind severely effecting it as many of the people here suggest it’s effecting the EQ2 populations. I’m sure I’ll get “WELL WHY DON”T YOU GO PLAY ONE OF THOES GAMES n00B!!!111oneoeno lolzer”, I already stated earlier I am spoiled by EQ2 and can’t play other mmo’s, it’s like having your lap top taken away and told you will now have to chisel all lecture notes into stone tablets.

The servers as-is, are setup for probably 1.5 - 2 million players. While I wish there were 2million + mature adults who wanted to play EQ2, there just aren’t. As it stands the only answer to the population problem, is to merge some servers. I say they should be merged based on how they used to be populated. I.E. all the servers that were heavy should be merged into one “heavy” server, all the mediums, until you get several medium servers, and the lights until you get some light serves that are more in-line with what decently populated light server should resemble, solaran_x I’m sure will agree, Antonia Bayle is a good example of a well populated light server. This would allow people who picked their server based on the population (back before they were all light) to once again enjoy said population. 

They should atleast make some new population counts, like "ultra light", and "sparsely populated".

Message Edited by demolition tank on 08-17-2005 01:19 PM

demolition tank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2005, 04:58 AM   #9
Tar~Palantir

Loremaster
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 328
Default



demolition tank wrote:


Batez wrote:
"

I know people are going to have allot of “omg population is greatzor loerz n00b!!!11oneonenoe” post, but it’s honestly not. If you played at launch, just think back to when you would see 5+ instances of some zones, and now try to remember if you’ve seen 5 instances of any zones in the last month…or when you've seen a server say "heavy" when makeing an alt.

"

 

You had 5 instances because you had 250000 people on 24 servers all in antonica / commons. and most of those 250000 people leveled at sort of the same rate so that led to TS / Nek  and still more to EL and Zek  now most of the people are 50  and they raid in instances that dont get numbered and they appear to be gone.  Untill the game is reset (not like that will happen) i doubt that we will see 5 instances again unless the 3.5 million WOW children decide to be EQ2 players in blocks of 250000 people and i would hate to have to deal with them.




I played to level 40 in the two months or so, I saw 5 instances of TS and Nek, and 3 instances of EnchantedLands and Zeck, and this is back when you had to do an access quest. Also, while your "you don't see them because their all in instances!" argument might shine some light on not seeing people very often in the main areas, however, you totally ignore that the fact there has not been a "heavy" in months. This in it's self kind of tells me how poorly populated the game has become. However, if you meant "numbered" as in counted by the population counter, I’m afraid your wrong, do a population of your server and you will find they are counted in the "other" category.

Look at games, small games, like “World War 2 Online”, “Anarchy Online”, “Endless Ages”, ect.. the list goes on, there are allot of little games out there with maybe 20-50k subscribers, yet their servers are always bustling and alive 24/7, there are “peak hours”, but you don’t “have to” play peak hours to find a team with in a reasonable amount of time. These games have been around allot longer then EQ2, meaning more time for people to level to max level ect.. yet that doesn’t effect their populations at all, never even mind severely effecting it as many of the people here suggest it’s effecting the EQ2 populations. I’m sure I’ll get “WELL WHY DON”T YOU GO PLAY ONE OF THOES GAMES n00B!!!111oneoeno lolzer”, I already stated earlier I am spoiled by EQ2 and can’t play other mmo’s, it’s like having your lap top taken away and told you will now have to chisel all lecture notes into stone tablets.

The servers as-is, are setup for probably 1.5 - 2 million players. While I wish there were 2million + mature adults who wanted to play EQ2, there just aren’t. As it stands the only answer to the population problem, is to merge some servers. I say they should be merged based on how they used to be populated. I.E. all the servers that were heavy should be merged into one “heavy” server, all the mediums, until you get several medium servers, and the lights until you get some light serves that are more in-line with what decently populated light server should resemble, solaran_x I’m sure will agree, Antonia Bayle is a good example of a well populated light server. This would allow people who picked their server based on the population (back before they were all light) to once again enjoy said population. 

They should atleast make some new population counts, like "ultra light", and "sparsely populated".

Message Edited by demolition tank on 08-17-2005 01:19 PM


How about "please for the love of god, LIFE SUPPORT!"

I agree that we should not have to plat at "peak hours"  to find other humans to play.  In horizons, sure at 3 am finding a group may take awhile, but pretty much from 9am till midnight EST time you could find a group.

This game is dying much quicker than it should be.

Enter Casywdian to fervently deny everything. 

__________________
Echoes of Fadywer: Finally an expansion that doesn't create a rat race for max level.
Tar~Palantir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2005, 09:35 AM   #10
Dasein

Loremaster
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 2,847
Default

1. EQ2, by design, keeps people tucked away in their own instances, so the game feels empty. Splitpaw has only exacerbated this effect. However, this doesn't mean people are not playing, just that the game is focused around instanced zones for the individual, group or raid.

2. Server load can mean any number of things, and as we do not know the current capacity of a server, relative terms like light or heavy are useless. If a server at launch could only handle 5000 people online at once, and there are 4000 people online, the server is running at 80% capacity, which would likely be heavy. Now, if the server capacity is 20,000 people and 5000 are online, there are more people actually on, but the server could easily show as only having a light load.

The fact is, we do not have any firm indicators of what the population is, either in terms of typical online figures or total subscriber counts.

__________________
Troll Lord Casywdian
Dasein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2005, 09:04 PM   #11
Uba

 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 24
Default

It's more than instanced zones that makes the servers look empty...

Consider that many people "jump on the bandwagon" to try this new game out, and leave as it's not their style or they become bored. If you can recall when creating new characters at the beginning of last winter, many servers had heavy loads on them. Now creating a new character details every server as being light population. The servers have "settled in" now.
 
Over time this will even out as less people are jumping in / jumping out as when this game was newly introduced and most that are in now are staying.
 
Once expansion comes out, expect loads to increase considerably.
Uba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2005, 02:30 AM   #12
OperationsX

Loremaster
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 214
Default



OperationsX wrote:

Hmm, where's Caswydian   :smileysurprised:

 





Caswydian wrote:

1. EQ2, by design, keeps people tucked away in their own instances, so the game feels empty. Splitpaw has only exacerbated this effect. However, this doesn't mean people are not playing, just that the game is focused around instanced zones for the individual, group or raid.

2. Server load can mean any number of things, and as we do not know the current capacity of a server, relative terms like light or heavy are useless. If a server at launch could only handle 5000 people online at once, and there are 4000 people online, the server is running at 80% capacity, which would likely be heavy. Now, if the server capacity is 20,000 people and 5000 are online, there are more people actually on, but the server could easily show as only having a light load.

The fact is, we do not have any firm indicators of what the population is, either in terms of typical online figures or total subscriber counts.




I knew you wouldn't let me down! :smileyvery-happy: :smileyvery-happy: :smileywink:

Message Edited by OperationsX on 08-18-2005 03:31 PM

OperationsX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2005, 04:15 AM   #13
demolition tank

Loremaster
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 99
Default


Caswydian wrote:

1. EQ2, by design, keeps people tucked away in their own instances, so the game feels empty. Splitpaw has only exacerbated this effect. However, this doesn't mean people are not playing, just that the game is focused around instanced zones for the individual, group or raid.

2. Server load can mean any number of things, and as we do not know the current capacity of a server, relative terms like light or heavy are useless. If a server at launch could only handle 5000 people online at once, and there are 4000 people online, the server is running at 80% capacity, which would likely be heavy. Now, if the server capacity is 20,000 people and 5000 are online, there are more people actually on, but the server could easily show as only having a light load.

The fact is, we do not have any firm indicators of what the population is, either in terms of typical online figures or total subscriber counts.


The key word here is “if”, you, as far as I know, have absolutely no evidence to support they have increased the server capacity by 4x it’s original size. This is random conjecture on your part in a desprate attempt to take away from the hard facts that there are no heavy servers any more and the population is non-existant. The nature of EQ2 is not instance based, the only thing instance based are raids and split paw, both of which have long lock out times, not to mention the XP is much better when teaming and questing in dungeons and world zones.   

 Please come up with something factual rather then some fantastical conjecture you pulled out of thin air.  

Message Edited by demolition tank on 08-18-2005 05:19 PM

demolition tank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2005, 05:45 AM   #14
luciu

 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 25
Default

Not to say anything against the opinion of the OP, who has his own reasons for wanting server mergers, can I just say that I do not want my server merged (Toxx).

I have no problems finding groups when I want them, and it is nice to get out of the situation in the first few months where every named had a stack of people wainting in line to kill them.

luciu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2005, 07:07 AM   #15
Tar~Palantir

Loremaster
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 328
Default



demolition tank wrote:


Caswydian wrote:

1. EQ2, by design, keeps people tucked away in their own instances, so the game feels empty. Splitpaw has only exacerbated this effect. However, this doesn't mean people are not playing, just that the game is focused around instanced zones for the individual, group or raid.

2. Server load can mean any number of things, and as we do not know the current capacity of a server, relative terms like light or heavy are useless. If a server at launch could only handle 5000 people online at once, and there are 4000 people online, the server is running at 80% capacity, which would likely be heavy. Now, if the server capacity is 20,000 people and 5000 are online, there are more people actually on, but the server could easily show as only having a light load.

The fact is, we do not have any firm indicators of what the population is, either in terms of typical online figures or total subscriber counts.



The key word here is “if”, you, as far as I know, have absolutely no evidence to support they have increased the server capacity by 4x it’s original size. This is random conjecture on your part in a desprate attempt to take away from the hard facts that there are no heavy servers any more and the population is non-existant. The nature of EQ2 is not instance based, the only thing instance based are raids and split paw, both of which have long lock out times, not to mention the XP is much better when teaming and questing in dungeons and world zones.   

 Please come up with something factual rather then some fantastical conjecture you pulled out of thin air.  

Message Edited by demolition tank on 08-18-2005 05:19 PM



I would prefer to name these arguementive points analy extracted.
__________________
Echoes of Fadywer: Finally an expansion that doesn't create a rat race for max level.
Tar~Palantir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2005, 07:35 AM   #16
demolition tank

Loremaster
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 99
Default

There are lots of people who attack the core elements of EQ2. I personally like all elements of EQ2, I've not found anything I don't like about this game. The problem is I can't play this game because I can't find teams consistently, I've got a level 40, 33 and 28 all on differnt servers. I keep switching servers hopeing to find one with a good population, no such luck, with the population as-is, the game is not playable unless you find a static team in your time zone that has the same playing habbits. I've got several friends in my time zone, but I alwayse end up out leveling them, when I out level them there are no teams, something needs to be done. I am a "returning" player who is about to leave again. I think SOE did a great job on the game, they just have to many servers!
demolition tank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2005, 10:04 AM   #17
Dasein

Loremaster
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 2,847
Default


The key word here is “if”, you, as far as I know, have absolutely no evidence to support they have increased the server capacity by 4x it’s original size. This is random conjecture on your part in a desprate attempt to take away from the hard facts that there are no heavy servers any more and the population is non-existant.

There is also no evidence to support your claim that server load directly refers to the server population, nor is there any dispute that terms like light and heavy are relative, not absolute terms, meaning that unless we know what the actual and current loads are, light and heavy are meaningless terms.


The nature of EQ2 is not instance based, the only thing instance based are raids and split paw, both of which have long lock out times, not to mention the XP is much better when teaming and questing in dungeons and world zones.   
Crafting is practically all instanced, as is housing. There are instanced dungeons like Nek Castle and a number of small, instanced sub-zones like Chamber of Immortality or Bastion of Flames. There are also many zones with multiple versions, like Maiden's Gulch or Permafrost/Icy Dig.
 
demolition tank, how many chat channels are you a member of? Are you ina  guild? Is your guild in any alliances with other guilds? It sounds to me like your problem is finding groups, and you are assuming the trouble is due to server population. Are you playing during a popular time, or do you play during off-hours?
__________________
Troll Lord Casywdian
Dasein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2005, 10:34 AM   #18
noogabooga

Loremaster
noogabooga's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 48
Default

I dont have figures but I do `feel` that the server populations have been declining and have reached a stage where it is affecting group play. I play on Crushbone and am proactive in forming groups (not just go lfg and wait for a tell) but I have noticed that it is getting harder to get a group going. And this is my experience with two characters between level 40 and 50, supposedly the range where many characters have attained.

Weekends are fine, but on the other days there are just insufficient numbers of players lfg to do much worthwhile. The Splitpaw saga has also had the effect of draining the number of lfgs and making the situation even worse. People logon during these times and cant find a group within 15 mins so they head for Splitpaw, or the lure of it is just so great that they rather spend hours soloing that place.

Sure, at high levels, players are more likely to group with guildmates and friends but I can remember a time when there were many  more lfgs btn 40 and 50. I have guildies who logon and expect to get a group going for one quest or another and usually we find a couple of lfgs to make up the numbers. But lately, we are not able to easily find lfgs and as a result my guildmates have spent more time playing their low-level alts instead (easier to complete quests and advance their char).

As for the timing of server merges, I dont expect SoE to consider it before the DoF expansion. But it is something they should monitor a few months after its released and review.

Message Edited by noogabooga on 08-19-2005 05:37 PM

__________________
----------------------------------------
A boy's will is the wind's will, and the thoughts of youth are long long thoughts...
noogabooga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2005, 07:11 PM   #19
Zolg

Loremaster
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 68
Default

I think most of the down turn is due to the fact that it is summertime. I think once the weather starts turning bad that they populations will start to climb back up. RIght now most people don't want to be indoors.
__________________
Riticky's Signature
Keji's Signature
Zolg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2005, 08:11 PM   #20
Dasein

Loremaster
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 2,847
Default

Unguilded players in the 40-50 range will be heavily recruited by many guilds looking for more high level players to fill out their numbers for raiding.
 
Further, people seem to think that people need to be LFG to actually be looking for a group - the only time I use LFG is when we're setting up raid groups. Beyond that, I have not set the LFG flag since I was on IoR. I find groups through my friends list, through my guild and through a number of regular chat channels on my server. I think that the biggest problem people have finding groups is not population, but socialization. Servers are establishing their own communities, and if you are not part of those communities, then it will be difficult to find a group. Now, at least on my server, these communities are pretty open - it's not like we're forming cliques to exlude people, but just that over time new methods of communicating have developed and if you don't know about them, things will seem a lot less active.
__________________
Troll Lord Casywdian
Dasein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2005, 11:34 PM   #21
Wryth

General
Wryth's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 27
Default

The topic says it all really. It's about 10 months after release and EQ2 seems to finally be hitting it's stride. The only issue I see is the fact that even at peek times the server loads are only "Light". I think a server consolidation about 2-3weeks before the expansion comes out would be a great way to rectify the emptiness that now seems to plague the servers. The new expansion will bring back some old players as well as some new ones, but I doubt it will be enough to fill the servers up again.
 
Just a thought..thanks for your time.
Wryth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2005, 11:47 PM   #22
demolition tank

Loremaster
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 99
Default

The fact remains we have not had a heavy server for a very long time, never mind a medium. This needs to be fixed or they will start looseing subcribers again. Hopefully SOE will be smart, as they have in the past, and try to correct this problem.
demolition tank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2005, 12:37 AM   #23
Dasein

Loremaster
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 2,847
Default


The fact remains we have not had a heavy server for a very long time, never mind a medium. This needs to be fixed or they will start looseing subcribers again. Hopefully SOE will be smart, as they have in the past, and try to correct this problem.

I'm sure if they ripped out some RAM and maybe downgraded their processors, the servers would run at heavy load again.
__________________
Troll Lord Casywdian
Dasein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2005, 05:07 AM   #24
Tar~Palantir

Loremaster
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 328
Default



Caswydian wrote:

The fact remains we have not had a heavy server for a very long time, never mind a medium. This needs to be fixed or they will start looseing subcribers again. Hopefully SOE will be smart, as they have in the past, and try to correct this problem.

I'm sure if they ripped out some RAM and maybe downgraded their processors, the servers would run at heavy load again.



And you elude to the statement that Sony upgraded the EQ2 servers.  Please prove it.

 

For now, the "Population is going down" thoery works best rather than a major server capacity upgrade.

Also someone mentioned this game has gotten its stride. Wel guess what, that is a downhill stride. SMILEY

__________________
Echoes of Fadywer: Finally an expansion that doesn't create a rat race for max level.
Tar~Palantir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2005, 07:31 AM   #25
Iseabeil

Loremaster
Iseabeil's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Sweden
Posts: 661
Default

Keep in mind that offline selling did not exist back when server load was higher.
I know that i had atleast one account active 23/7 to be able to sell and many other did too, that makes a huge difference in load.
 
 
 
__________________
Iseabeil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2005, 07:48 PM   #26
OperationsX

Loremaster
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 214
Default



Iseabeil wrote:
Keep in mind that offline selling did not exist back when server load was higher.
I know that i had atleast one account active 23/7 to be able to sell and many other did too, that makes a huge difference in load.
 
 
 



If any of you were actual artisans and actually made stuff for the community on broker instead of your guildies or actually stepped out of your 'group of friends' to go find groups you would feel the population has decreased. I don't give a rats [expletive ninja'd by Faarbot] about subscription numbers, I care about active playing base, which unless you got your  head so far up your [expletive ninja'd by Faarbot] you can see and feel it has actually declined.
OperationsX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2005, 11:16 PM   #27
Tar~Palantir

Loremaster
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 328
Default

The people who deny the server populations are declining are the ones who raid or have a group of old faithful friends who are on at the exact same time.
__________________
Echoes of Fadywer: Finally an expansion that doesn't create a rat race for max level.
Tar~Palantir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2005, 11:44 PM   #28
Dasein

Loremaster
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 2,847
Default

So the ones who are most concerned about this alleged population decrease are the ones who have not managed to really involve themselves in their server community? Again, it seems more and more like people are blaming some external factor for their own failings.
__________________
Troll Lord Casywdian
Dasein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2005, 07:48 PM   #29
Tar~Palantir

Loremaster
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 328
Default



Caswydian wrote:
So the ones who are most concerned about this alleged population decrease are the ones who have not managed to really involve themselves in their server community? Again, it seems more and more like people are blaming some external factor for their own failings.


I have my guild in alliance with 4 others, I am in the heritage chat channel(toxx's worldwide chat channel), and i am a friend of a raiding guild leader(one of the top 3 raiding guilds), and members in the most affluent raiding guild.
 
I believe that is more community than your static group or the 11-23 other people you raid with.
 
I was talking with a member Vindicate(top raiding guild on server) and we got into server populations and he said that if you raid, the population doesn't matter too much.  I told him that when you are with a set group of people, that is so. If you raid at 50, or are XP'ing from lvl 3-49, you're playing 2 different games.....
 
I can't wait for the day Caswydian where you get the swift kick in the [expletive ninja'd by Faarbot] and finally realize something is wrong.
 
__________________
Echoes of Fadywer: Finally an expansion that doesn't create a rat race for max level.
Tar~Palantir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2005, 12:03 AM   #30
Dasein

Loremaster
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 2,847
Default

Again, the issue seems not to be actual populations, but rather people's perception of that population and access to it at different levels. The only argument I hear people making is that because they have trouble finding a group on their server, therefore, game-wide, populations are dropping. I've not seen anyone present any hard evidence of game-wide population.

If you want to discuss the social dynamics of EQ2 with regards to finding groups, fine, but that is a different issue than server population or subscriber numbers.

__________________
Troll Lord Casywdian
Dasein is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 09:58 AM.

vBulletin skin by: CompleteGFX.com
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
All threads and posts originally from the EQ2 and Station forums operated by Sony Online Entertainment. Their use is by express written permission.