EQ2 Forum Archive @ EQ2Wire

Go Back   EQ2 Forum Archive @ EQ2Wire > EverQuest II > Class Discussion > Mage's Arcanum > Wizard
Members List Search Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 11-22-2004, 09:39 PM   #1
j

General

Just to let everyone know what PoV im coming from (Point of View) I'm a level 22 Wizard on the Oasis Server.

Ok lets start by saying, Yes.. Now i don't mean level 27 Mobs in the TS but you can Solo level 20's (Single) at certain level's and hold your own pretty much all the way up. The thing Wizards are known for are, c'mon i know you know it... *NUKES* <---Don't you love it :smileytongue: Now if your not familer with the Phrase "Nuke" It is a massive damage magical attack bestowed apon a enemy Causeing a large lumpsome of damage. In short terms, we hit fast and very very hard. Not to mention the DoT's we have (Damage over Time) (I'm Explaining the terms for players who are new no biggy for seasoned vets at EQ) Anyhow I'll now tell you how I like to Solo and give you some pointers. First thing to becoming a good wizard is = Inteligence the more the marrier. So when ever you have the choice to have that increased make sure to do it. Now at level's such as 22, with Adept 1 Breath of Tyrant, and Blaze Adept 1-3 you can do excess of 170+ damage easy, if combined with the right spells. Now what i mean by that is EX - if you cast Freezing Whorl the creature attacking you will have a DoT on him and be vunrable to elemental attacks, So once you have that on a enemy you can nuke for bout 1/2 times more then without it on (This applys for Blaze and Breath of the Tyrant). This is more of a walk through for 18-22 players but same rules apply to the newer ones as well so here it goes. P.S - Make sure painfull meditation is atleast app. III

I like to start by useing Gift Of Magi on myself then Accord = (You gain Power Over time.)
Then i like to put burning radience on myself to kinda give me that warm feeling inside :smileytongue: J/p it's to give me a chance of hitting extra fire damage, remeber what ever you can do to give yourself the edge, do it we are not tanks and we need everything we can to kill a enemy with a minimal loss of life. Ok with the self buff's outta the way lets start the Attack.

1. I like to cast a root first to keep the enemy as far from me as physicly possible, lower levels can use arcane bindings, higher levels can use Frozen Manacles. Like i said before try these to have at Adept I or App. III if not they will break and the creature will probably chase you to the Zone SMILEY.
2. DoT, DoT, DoT!!!! I can't exagerate this anymore. Ok I could but you get the idea. I like to start with  Freezeing Whorl ( This is one of the most important it makes your flame hits hit for about 20-30 some times 40 more points of damage to have this and ice  blast stacked your nukes can hit for the large ammounts i was talking about earlier ), Then Ice Blast ( This is a AoE (Area of Effect) but never the less its a dot and helps increase Dps) and last but not least Incenerate to add to the Dps.
3.After all this i would recomend a re-root, you do not want a level 20 or any type of creature breaking loose and beating you silly. Ok now the creature is locked down like mad, DoT'ed like no other and Vunrable to You Blaze and Breath Of the Tyrant. Time to have some fun.
4. Nuke Nuke Nuke. Hit it and hit it hard with Breath of the Tyrant, Then blaze then Breath Of the Tyrant, Rinse and repeat.
5. If you start to run low on Power use Painfull Meditation. It gives you power in exchange for some health. This is used some times as a last ditch effort and has saved me nurmerous ammounts of times. Make sure if you use it you will kill the creature with the last attack, or else you'll be outta mana to sprint to the zone with SMILEY.
6. You can apply more roots, the spell Freeze to stun and cause ice damage. But from here on out your free to experment and do what you feel is best for that kinda mob.
I really hope this helped all you Upcoming Wizards and Current Wizards. Thats my 2 cents. SMILEY

-Orangejoos
Level 22 Wizard
Level 10 Inchanter
Oasis
Feel Free to post Questions, Comments and anything else you see fit, ill be glad to help you out no matter what level SMILEY

P.S- If you like the guide go ahead and rate it how you feel SMILEY so other people know to check it out. Thanks a bunch.

-Sage

Message Edited by jo0 on 12-01-2004 07:36 AM

j is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2004, 08:18 PM   #2
AbrahamFortitu

NiceSMILEY....i didnt find incinerate as spell in your advice.

I always use freezing whorl, then incinerate before i start nuking, theyre both nice Dots.

But otherwise id agree.

Abe
AbrahamFortitu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2004, 10:34 PM   #3
j

General

Not sure what ya mean, I had Incenerate up there SMILEY, like i said the more DoT's the marrier. If you have any Stratagy's you guys use post them here i'll be glad to hear how ya guys do things and what works for you.

-Orangejoos
Level 23 Wizard
Level 11 Inchanter

Message Edited by jo0 on 12-01-2004 07:33 AM

Old 11-25-2004, 01:53 PM   #4
Vampy

Very good guide. I use some of these strategies myself, but at lvl 13, I don't have that much spells. I wonder about one thing though. When using Freezing Whorl, it increases the damage of elemental attacks as you stated, so my question is : Are lightning and chain Lightning counted as elemental attacks ?

It could be so, but experimentation tought me there is no difference if FW is on or not.

Arkanos - Wizzard - Najena
Wolfspirit - Fighter - Najena
Sinfuryon - Priest - Najena
Vampy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2004, 11:38 PM   #5
j

General

Hey Vamp, through the experiences i have had it seems the FW does absolutly nothing towords increasing Lightning Damage. Sucks cause it should but then again fire makes ice melt so it kinda still makes sense.-OrangejoosLevel 23 WizardLevel 13 EnchanterOasis Server

Message Edited by jo0 on 11-25-2004 10:39 AM

Old 11-28-2004, 08:09 AM   #6
Baalzev

I disagree.

You need to nuke hard, and nuke fast.  The only DoT worth casting is Freezing Whorl, and that is only because it lowers the mob's elemental resistance.  Also, you don't want to waste time casting unnecessary spells due to the fact that if you run out of power, you're dead.  You cannot run and you cannot cast without power.

Here's my uninterrupted casting order:

Frozen Manacles, Freezing Whorl, (Initiate Heroic opportunity), Ball of Fire, Breath of Tyrant, Blaze, Breath of Tyrant, Blaze (repeat)

When attacked, I just make sure to cast Freeze then Frozen Manacles and run back.  When your Freezing Whorl is castable again, that's a good time to recast.  Freezing Whorl is one of the most important spells in the game at the beginning as it raises your nuke's damage upwards of 40%. 

I like to kill oranges without ever being hit SMILEY  Although, rule of thumb, if you get resisted twice, then just run SMILEY

Baalzevuv

edit:  Also, you should never get in the position to have to cast Painful Meditation while solo'ing.  Never initiate combat with anything less than 75% power except oranges.  When solo'ing oranges, never initiate combat with less than 100%. 

Message Edited by Baalzevuv on 11-27-2004 07:13 PM

Baalzev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2004, 04:08 AM   #7
Rod

If you guys arent using HO's you are wasting ALOT of time!!!
Rod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2004, 06:45 AM   #8
bmlava

Roder wrote:
If you guys arent using HO's you are wasting ALOT of time!!!

I agree.  I pull with frozen manacles, add DoTs (if the root doesnt break, I let the DoTs tick for a bit instead of using more power), use my adept 1 Breath of Tyrant, then HO.  Repeat Nukes and HOs as needed.

If I need some time, like those fights when you keep getting interrupts/fizzles/resists, I will Freeze them and drop root on them again to buy enough time to decide to finish the fight or run like the wind.

bmlava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2004, 08:58 PM   #9
j

General

All good posts guys everyone of you has what works for you best and thats what counts. The reason i like to use dots is cause it add's to the DPS while im recasting Ball of Fire or BoT or Blaze Adept I Just keep Rooting them inbetween if you feel its gonna break. Wizards are mana gimped in this game in a way, what ever damage you can get on the enemy to put you over the edge is a good mana investment so if you cast your dots and its adding say 28+ damage every second between all 3 then your in good hands. Painfull meditaion as i said before is a "last ditch" effort if you get in trouble, you shouldent have to use it unless you run outta mana, like i said it can happen do to the fact they really Downsized us wizard in this game, once were outta mana it takes a very long time to get a full bar back, we use wayyy to much etc. i could go on but you get the idea. Great post's tho guys keep um coming everyone has their own style and each and everyone is respected by me so feel free to post um. One last thing, HO's are huge, and your right use them and re use them they will save your butt and some mana and not to mention a whole lotta time, good point i forgot to add that to the orginal post SMILEY thanks.
-Orangejoos
Level 24 Wizard
Level 16 Enchanter
Oasis

Message Edited by jo0 on 11-29-2004 08:00 AM

Old 11-29-2004, 10:13 PM   #10
Crono1321

Loremaster

Baalzevuv wrote:
I disagree.

I like to kill oranges without ever being hit SMILEY  Although, rule of thumb, if you get resisted twice, then just run SMILEY

Baalzevuv

HAHAHAHA Yes, I know what it is like to be fizzling and resisting all over the place when I am lvl 21 soloing a 23, and I can't do anything but wait for the chains to break!  Haha many fun times.

I do not like Incinerate as it does only 15damage a tick, and never seems to last that long for me.  When you are soloing you want to kill the enemy as fast as possible; you don't know if your root is going to last one second or one minute (Wiz's you know what I mean!)!!  What I do at lvl 21 is:

Frozen Manacles

Freezing Whorl

Chilling Storm (whatever that's called, teh AE DOT)

Frozen Manacles

Blaze

Breath of Tyrant

By the time you cast your first Blaze, the monster should already be missing 1/8 to 1/4 of its life depending on your skill levels.  My blaze at adept one does between 100-130 damage with this combo.  I don't really like soloing unless its necessary because at this level, it gets more dangerous; when a mob breaks free and hits me, I can lose my life in 5-6 hits!

BTW- I can never recommend using Painful Med when you are soloing anything; the only exception would be if you have the monster rooted and it was almost dead. 

Old 11-29-2004, 10:49 PM   #11
IllusiveThoughts

Loremaster

only way to take down double up greenies is root/doting

and then theres a secret that you must use to keep your mana higher than mobs health bar.  I'll leave it up to you all to figure out.

btw a lvl 20-21 wizard can solo rotstuffed crows, effectively.
IllusiveThoughts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2004, 12:38 AM   #12
EnchanterB

Loremaster

Baalzevuv wrote:
Although, rule of thumb, if you get resisted twice, then just run SMILEY

Message Edited by Baalzevuv on 11-27-2004 07:13 PM

*giggles*Oh man! Did I ever learn this the hard way.*Bear escapes Frozen Manacles 2x in a row*A Big Orange Bear: Sliver of red HPBold Brash Korina: Low end of Orange HP*bear mauls me and tweety birds fly around my head*Fizzled!Interrupted!Resisted!No, no, no! You won't...You have died!*fume* You stay right there! I'll get you next time! *revive*That happened twice yesterday. Now I have that rule too.
EnchanterB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2004, 05:08 AM   #13
Wizer

Why do you use Chilling Wind if you're soloing? Just curious, as if you're fighting just one mob the AoE factor is useless. Isn't the spell kinda mana inefficient in that siutation? Does the elemental debuff that the spell has stack with Freezing Whorl's therefore making your existing fire and ice nukes hit harder?I just want to know why people seem to use these AoE spells on solo mobs.
Wizer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2004, 01:16 PM   #14
Aras

Is there someplace that has a better chance of dropping Adepts for Sorcery/Wizard? Done most my hunting in Antonica and mostly received adept 1 for other classes then Sorecery/Wizard...

Thanks
Unrest
Aras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2004, 08:59 PM   #15
j

General

Wasup fellas, Why i like dots so much is mine stick at 24 for a tad longer then a few levels lower. My mana do to gear is quite high so i can afford to do it, like i said if your gonna solo you gotta do it the way it works best for your situation I.E - Gear,Mana,Mob,Damage You can do etc. Trust me i only dot when it's needed, and Painfull Med when the mobs really near death and that mana is gimped down to near nothing, (This goes for level 20 mobs it can take alotta mana to take a 20+ mob down solo, gotta pray those roots stick SMILEY.
The place i have seen alot of my Adept I spells drop Is the Thundering Steppes I got Breath Of Tyrant there Ice spike and a couple others, i also hear alot like to drop in Black Burrow get a nice group and kill gnolls and crows , centars in TS. In BB get a group or just solo and kill those dumb gnolls till they drop ya an adept spell you need.) Wizard Drops are scarse very very scarse, but every now and then they drop, i have a 18 enchanter as well and i have almost all my adept I spells for it, they drop like mad all over the place, SoE making it tough on us wizards tho SMILEY Keep the post's coming good ammount of Info building up here for New and Experienced players.

p.s - Chilling Wind is a decent DoT also it seems to debuff a tad bit. Here do this, find a mob try a Feral Wolf in Antonica near the Steppes Station Tower, Go out here find one nuke it 1 time with Breath Of Tyrant or blaze wich ever you have and or prefer, then do chilling wind on it and re nuke it, you should see a diffrence in damage by a significant ammount not to mention it'll be taking 24+ damage every 2 seconds or so, do it a couple times till your convinced use freezeing whirl as well just test all the dots/elemental damage mitagation spells, freezeing whirl will make the biggest diffrence when useing BoT or Blaze or Fire Ball. Experment and have fun thats what it's all bout. If ya need any more info just post and ill help ya out SMILEY
Orangejoos level 24 Wizard
Trix Level 18 Enchanter
Oasis

Message Edited by jo0 on 12-01-2004 07:32 AM

Old 12-01-2004, 12:07 AM   #16
Thola

I believe that the most effecient technique is to find a method which kills the mob as quickly as possible, not the method which uses the least amount of power. The simple reason being is that your power regen is far far far greater outside of combat than it is inside of combat.So you may be able to kill a mob more power efficiently doing it one way (ie: loading up a ton of dots), but your kill rate (and thus exp rate) won't be as high as killing the mob as quickly as possible (ie: pure DDs).Thus, what I try and do is put just enough dots on it that would stay on the mob for as long as the mob lives. Whorl and incinerate seem to fit that criteria (at L22). These spells also debuff the mob. So I open with root, whorl, incinerate, HO trigger, ice spell (forget exact name but it continues the HO), blaze, ice spell (usually get HO completion on this), if root has broken I will throw in a freeze, blaze and by now it is dead SMILEY. I usually root only once since I can do enough damage to it that it will be dead before I take much damage in melee range. I am sure this will change at higher levels however.
Thola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2004, 01:07 AM   #17
IllusiveThoughts

Loremaster

Tholann wrote:
I believe that the most effecient technique is to find a method which kills the mob as quickly as possible, not the method which uses the least amount of power. The simple reason being is that your power regen is far far far greater outside of combat than it is inside of combat.

So you may be able to kill a mob more power efficiently doing it one way (ie: loading up a ton of dots), but your kill rate (and thus exp rate) won't be as high as killing the mob as quickly as possible (ie: pure DDs).

Thus, what I try and do is put just enough dots on it that would stay on the mob for as long as the mob lives. Whorl and incinerate seem to fit that criteria (at L22). These spells also debuff the mob. So I open with root, whorl, incinerate, HO trigger, ice spell (forget exact name but it continues the HO), blaze, ice spell (usually get HO completion on this), if root has broken I will throw in a freeze, blaze and by now it is dead SMILEY. I usually root only once since I can do enough damage to it that it will be dead before I take much damage in melee range. I am sure this will change at higher levels however.

yes it does, if you stand there and get beat on you will die very fast at anything over a white con lvl 20 +
IllusiveThoughts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2004, 08:19 PM   #18
j

General

Tholann in many cases you are very right, good post.
And yes mana regen outside of combat is 100 Times faster. Kill the mob heal the mana after. If it's one creature get the damage rolling kill it and take a seat afterwords.

Orangejoos - Level 24 Wizard
Trix -  Level 20 Illusionist
Both on Oasis

Message Edited by jo0 on 12-01-2004 07:34 AM

Old 12-02-2004, 05:47 AM   #19
SirCopenhag

how the heck are you all getting app 3 and adept spells when everyone wants 10 gold for them.   pfttt   I cant even buy one little long all of my spells.
SirCopenhag is offline   Reply With Quote