EQ2 Forum Archive @ EQ2Wire

Go Back   EQ2 Forum Archive @ EQ2Wire > EverQuest II > Support Forums > Tech Area > Voice Chat Support
Members List Search Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 08-02-2008, 06:33 AM   #1
Zargh
Server: Runnyeye
Guild: Nightfall

Loremaster

Been over the tutorial. Mic works, and incoming sound works as well.

Been using my headset for years with TS and it's always worked. I've opened up the suggested ports in my firewall but I'm still not able to talk or hear anyone.

I select a channel and I get "You are not in a channel" error messege when I press L Control. Same with guild, guild officer and all the custom channels I've joined. I can't see anyone online either, even when I know there are peeps in the channels.

My girlfriend, who sits next to me, has the same issue as me, so I'm guessing it's something network related. Anyone else experience this? We are running the internet through a router/Firewall, in which I opened the suggested ports.

Zargh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2008, 12:15 PM   #2
Baccalarium

Loremaster

They had a problem where some people could not join channels on the first day.   There was a post that they fixed it, but we saw it Friday night as well.   12 person raid.    Invariably 1 or 2 poeple could not join the voice channel.   Disband the raid and reform and again s10 or 11 poeple could join, but a couple of people would not be able to.   It wasn't always the same people that couldn't join the voice channel.    Those people that couldn't join would likewise be unable to join group and guild channels.    It seems like this occurs more often around peak times,  the server gets busy and though it will show you a list of channels,  you won't be able to join them.    A few seconds after you attempt to join,  there will be a message thatyou left the channel.    But you never really join, and even if you talk before you get the message that you left the channel,  you get a response that you aren't in a voice channel.
Baccalarium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2008, 06:38 PM   #3
kronik_migrai

General

I have had this problem since release. I was one of the first people to join after the servers came back up post patch.I cannot hear people in channels, but people can hear me. When I press push to talk, it says I am not in a channel, yet people can hear me. However after like 30 seconds I am kicked anyway, and people say they hear me leave channel. The voice users list thing is blank (says 0) for any channel I try to join.. If I go into the voice chat settings and test my mic I can hear myself. One thing to note is that under "Test Mic" in the voice chat options menu it says in red text "Could not discover Windows Mic settings." This may have something to do with it.I've tried enabling/disabling voice chat, enabling/disabling autojoin channels, deleting the file vivoxsdk.dll and repatching. No matter what I do voice chat will not work for me. I have heard of other people in my guild having the same problem. One guy had it work spontaneously one day without him doing anything to try to fix it. However I have never had voicechat working. Oh, I have tried turning off my firewall as well. No luck.My guild is starting to switch over from ventrilo to the in-game voice. If I can't get this working I'm out of luck. Has anyone had this problem and been able to resolve it? For what it's worth I am running Vista.
kronik_migrai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2008, 04:00 PM   #4
TSR-TrevorG

Tech Support

Try deleting your UI filesand then restart/patch the game.You want to delete the following files and folders:cache foldereq2_recent.inieq2_default.iniEverQuest2.exee q2.ini

As well as the character specific files, these will appear as such:Servername_CharacterName_EQ2_uisettings.iniSt ationname_characters.ini

EMAIL SUPPORT | IN GAME SUPPORT | CHAT SUPPORT | KNOWLEDGE BASE SEARCH
Phone Support 858-537-0898 Mon-Fri 10-7PM PST

TSR-TrevorG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2008, 10:26 PM   #5
Jehanne

Loremaster

So you want us to completely wipe our character settings and spend an hour setting up our UI's again for that character in the hope that it *may* fix a buggy raid chat feature?

Incidentally, I'm getting this error right now.  And what is happening is that people who join the raid after me are being loaded up correctly in the Voice User's window and I get the chat message "XXX is speaking" when they talk.  But people who joined the raid BEFORE ME aren't loading up.  Their names aren't listed in the voice users window and when they speak there's no chat message whatsoever.  However, I do hear them just fine and everyone hears me as well.

Sadly, the only reason this chat was preferable to Ventrilo was that we could see who was talking.  But this bug negates that benefit.

Old 08-06-2008, 10:48 PM   #6
TSR-TrevorG

Tech Support

If your UI.ini file is corrupt and it is not allowing the voice chat channels to work, then yes i would like you to do that.  We are still testing out the issues you folks are having, as we did not get these errors while testing. Replicating the issue is the hardest part.If you are having this issue, feel free to PM me so I can try to log onto your account and verfiy if it is an account issue or not.

Old 08-07-2008, 05:05 PM   #7
kronik_migrai

General

TSR-TrevorG wrote:
Try deleting your UI filesand then restart/patch the game.You want to delete the following files and folders:cache foldereq2_recent.inieq2_default.iniEverQuest2.exee q2.ini

As well as the character specific files, these will appear as such:Servername_CharacterName_EQ2_uisettings.iniSt ationname_characters.ini

Okay, this worked! But not directly. The point is it's working!1. I moved these files as instructed to a backup folder. Of note, I deleted the vivoxsdk.dll file as well.2. After starting the game and repatching, things got worse. I couldn't hear myself in the Mic Test area. It wouldn't even let me half-way join a channel anymore. Before I would join Guild and the color of my thing would change and people could hear me, but I couldn't hear them and I would get that "You are not in a channel" message. But after this I couldn't even get that far, my icon just stayed grayed.3. I noted an error code in my voice chat bar, 10006.4. Frustrated, I exited EQ2 and copied and pasted all of my backup files over the new repatched ones.5. I couldn't start the game. The patch froze at the "Preparing Files" part. Great, I thought. So I started the game from the Everquest2.exe circumnavigating the patcher. Whenever I tried to change anything related to the voice interface the game would "catch" or freeze for like 10 seconds. This included changing my in-bound or out-bound devices. I still couldn't join any channels. 6. I gave up. I started running to join a group. Then it happened. Like 10 minutes after starting the game, it started working. I autojoined group, heard people talking, and they could hear me. I did absolutely nothing directly before it started working. Something must have trigggered it to start working on a delay. Also, the patcher works again.So in conclusion, I'm not sure exactly what did it to make it work, but it was something in one of these 6 steps (in my case). Thank you so much for giving me the instructions to try this. I don't know why it worked, I don't know how it worked, but eventually it did work!*edit* I just remembered, one thing I *didn't* do was in Step 4. I did NOT copy the cache folder or the vivoxdsk file, just the other files.
kronik_migrai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2008, 06:20 PM   #8
TSR-TrevorG

Tech Support

I'm glad its working for you now!

Old 08-08-2008, 01:54 PM   #9
caewen

Loremaster

I was having this issue as well and just resolved it by upgradeing the firmware on my router, we have a D-Link Gamelounge router, had version 1.4 firmware upgraded to 1.7. easy to do log into router put ip in address bar 192.168.0.1, user is admin no password by default click tools tab, on left side is a list click  firmware then follow directions from there pretty simple to do just make sure you arent doing anythin with internet as will reset the connection etc, good luck to all this was an easy fix and had nothing to do with ui files so try this before deleting anything from eq2 file
Old 08-08-2008, 02:40 PM   #10
TSR-TrevorG

Tech Support

Caewen woot!  Good Info!

Old 08-08-2008, 04:27 PM   #11
urgatorbait

Loremaster

caewen wrote:
I was having this issue as well and just resolved it by upgradeing the firmware on my router, we have a D-Link Gamelounge router, had version 1.4 firmware upgraded to 1.7. easy to do log into router put ip in address bar 192.168.0.1, user is admin no password by default click tools tab, on left side is a list click  firmware then follow directions from there pretty simple to do just make sure you arent doing anythin with internet as will reset the connection etc, good luck to all this was an easy fix and had nothing to do with ui files so try this before deleting anything from eq2 file
Woot! I am so glad to read this right now. I am having this very same problem and have not yet been able to figure out how to get it to work.  I, too, have this same exact router.  Not sure what version firmware I am on but I was going to update it last night but then shied away not wanting to potentially screw my whole connection up moments before a big raid.  Having heard your success story, I will definitely do this tonight.... and hopefully with the same excellent results.  I'll post my results soon.  Thanks very much for posting this Caewen!
urgatorbait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2008, 10:34 PM   #12
urgatorbait

Loremaster

A hearty thanks to Caewen!  Updating the firmware on my router fixed the issue completely and quickly.  For anyone with a D-Link gaming router who is having issues with in-game voice.... this is your fix.  SMILEY
urgatorbait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2008, 01:10 AM   #13
YersisII

Loremaster

I had tried all the suggestions on this forum without any result - deleting ini files...updating router firmware. I even updated alll the device drivers.

What seemed to work for me was completely uninstalling my firewall and swapping back to Windows firewall with everquest2.exe as a recognised executable. I was using Comodo Pro v3 with XP SP2/Pro. Simply opening ports or shutting down the firewall didnt seem to work.

As far as firewalls go I've tried a number with eq2. I'd say NOD32 if u want to pay is best, followed by the Comodo firewall. I'd not probelms with the Comodo Pro v2 release. V3.0 seems to have serious issues.

TSRs - any way of testing Voice chat with the major firewalls, and compiling a config list for Voice as u have done in the past? 

YersisII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2008, 10:40 AM   #14
jay74

Loremaster

Found the cause of my issue with Voice and Comodo - my MTU was set too low, fragmenting the data packets, and Comodo is designed to block these fragmented data packets by default. 

I wanted to get Comodo firewall working again. I re-installed Comodo version 2.4 (I had other issues with 3.0), and enabled the ports in the sticky on this forum. Initially I was getting the errors shown below.

To Fix, I ran TCPOptimizer from Speedguide.net and set the default MTU back to 1500.

Originally, I had set my MTU at 600 - some time in the past I'd set this MTU to reduce lag. Basically what was happening is that Vivox uses fairly large data packet sizes. Comodo under its Advanced Attack Detection default options blocks both fragmented data packets and badly formed messages. To get Voice to work with Comodo, you need to set MTU to 1000 at least and uncheck the Block Fragmented IP Datagrams and Do Protocol Analysis options, or leave them both checked and set MTU to 1500.

Date/Time :2008-08-10 08:50:22Severity :HighReporter :Network MonitorDescription: Blocked by Protocol Analysis (Fragmented IP Packet)Direction: IP Outgoing Source: 192.168.1.3 Destination: 70.42.62.15 Protocol : UDP Reason: Fragmented IP packets are not allowed

Date/Time :2008-08-10 08:50:22Severity :HighReporter :Network MonitorDescription: Blocked by Protocol Analysis (Fake or Malformed UDP Packet)Direction: UDP Outgoing Source: 192.168.1.3:26743 Destination: 70.42.62.15:5062 Reason: UDP packet length and the size on the wire(983 bytes) do not match 

jay74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2008, 07:09 PM   #15
t'zadin

Loremaster

TSR-TrevorG wrote:

I have done this plus a number of other troubleshooting steps offered to me through live chat support.  Nothing is working thus far, I am still showing 0 users.  I can create a channel, join the channel, invite someone else to the channel, but I do not show as being in the channel, do not hear anything from the channel, am not heard by anyone else in the channel.  The game options shows "Windows shows your mic to be configured properly" and I have no problems using Ventrilo/Teamspeak.  I get this issue with every character so I am doubtful my UI files have had any influence on this issue (kinda hard to believe every UI file was corrupt).  Thus far, nothing has affected this issue.

I am not using a specialized firewall.  In fact, this issue has not changed even if I disable Windows firewall.  I do have a D-Link wireless router but it's old enough it's not even supported so upgrading the firmware is proving problematic at the moment.

t'zadin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2008, 02:36 AM   #16
YersisII

Loremaster

Sounds similar to the issue I had with packet fragmentation. Try this:1. Download Tcpoptimizer from http://www.speedguide.net/files/TCPOptimizer.exe

2. Click on Largest MTU tab and hit start. (Measure Maximum Transmission Unit/packet size)

3. If largest MTU is < 1500, then your PC, router or ISP may be fragmenting packets and Voice will not work

4. Change your MTU to 1500 on the PC using TCPOptimizer if needed.

5. Change your router MTU 1500 if you can - typically you can access by typing  192.168.0.1 or 192.168.1.1 in your web browser.

Re-run Largest MTU and if still below 1500 - you may have an ISP issue - contact your service provider. If you need to upgrade your wireless router, I'd recommend Netgear over D-link - personally I seem to have better luck with Netgear, and can easily swap channels if conflicts with other signals and users. 

YersisII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2008, 02:46 PM   #17
Fineo
Server: Butcherblock
Guild: Moonlight Raiders

General

I'm running into this bug specifically when switching to alt characters via the "/camp " command.  It happens at random, so I can't figure out what exactly is causing it.When I first login to EQ, voice chat works fine.  Once I switch to another character, it may work or not.  I do have characters in two different guilds on the same server, and with officer level in one guild, and normal rank in the other.  It seems like the voice chat can get confused with what character is logged on.When voice chat stops working, I get the message that the chat channel is available, but if I select it, the Talk button turns green, but my name never shows in the Voice Users window, and pressing the push-to-talk key makes the "you are not in a chat channel" message appear.  Sometimes disabling and re-enabling voice chat makes it come back, but usually it stays broken.  At that point I must logg off and back on, then voice chat will work perfectly again.I've tried checking my network settings and updating my router firmware, but it makes no difference.
Old 08-27-2008, 09:19 AM   #18
ranga

Loremaster

I get the same problem and symptoms as all the posters in this threade except that my in game voice chat has NEVER worked - I ALWAYS get the message You are not in a chat channel.

This happens with my desktop under XP and my laptop under Vista Premium.

I have tried about 20 times to follow the delete files in the list above and repatch and stil no luck

Sony has even stopped answering my /petition.

I am at work atm so I cant post driver details but I will do that later today.

I really can't believe that with this many users having the same difficulties, that these issues didnt show up in testing and i would be grateful for any further information on the problem or potential solutions.

arrrrrgh

We do not think about a transfer of US server chars from EU costumers in Eq2. That should solve the biggest worries the EQ2 community has at the moment. We do not want to interfere with long build ingame relationships. This is the current way we think about it.

ranga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2008, 04:58 PM   #19
TSR-TrevorG

Tech Support

[email protected] wrote:
I'm running into this bug specifically when switching to alt characters via the "/camp " command.  It happens at random, so I can't figure out what exactly is causing it.When I first login to EQ, voice chat works fine.  Once I switch to another character, it may work or not.  I do have characters in two different guilds on the same server, and with officer level in one guild, and normal rank in the other.  It seems like the voice chat can get confused with what character is logged on.When voice chat stops working, I get the message that the chat channel is available, but if I select it, the Talk button turns green, but my name never shows in the Voice Users window, and pressing the push-to-talk key makes the "you are not in a chat channel" message appear.  Sometimes disabling and re-enabling voice chat makes it come back, but usually it stays broken.  At that point I must logg off and back on, then voice chat will work perfectly again.I've tried checking my network settings and updating my router firmware, but it makes no difference.
Do you get the error if you log to chacrter select and then choose a character?

Old 08-28-2008, 06:56 PM   #20
Fineo
Server: Butcherblock
Guild: Moonlight Raiders

General

TSR-TrevorG wrote:
[email protected] wrote:
Do you get the error if you log to chacrter select and then choose a character?
Hmm, I've been switching alts around with the /camp command, and the voice chat is apparently working fine now on all characters (no problems switching channels, no "not in a channel" msgs).  I did submit a /bug in-game before posting here, so maybe it got squashed on the backend.  SMILEY  If it does happen again, I'll try the character select screen trick to see if it fixes it.  Hopefully the problem is gone for good.EDIT:  OK, guess I spoke too soon.  The problem came back tonight, when I switched characters, I couldn't join any chat channels afteward.  However. camping to the character select screen, and selecting a different character seemed to fix the problem, and I could join chat channels again.  I'll play with it furthe to see if I can figure out what's going on.
Old 08-29-2008, 03:33 PM   #21
Antipalad

General

None of these steps do anything whatsoever, so thanks a lot for having me waste an hour setting up my UI again. Voice chat still not working by the by.
Antipalad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2008, 09:07 AM   #22
salle

Loremaster

TSR-TrevorG wrote:

Did all of these things, restarted the computer. even did the thing with MTU. Still not working.

For me voice has been running mostly smoothly one night it was a bit of a stutte making so I couldn't hear nor talk to people in a channel after a bit so I had to rejoin the channel to hear and speak again. other than that happenign twice it's been running well.

Untill yesterday. I go afk because of the only real camping zone left in the game (OoLS) didn't wanna give me the spawn I needed for access. So went afk and went into the channel. when I get back and try and join other channels I don't see even myself in the list and after a minute or 2 get kicked back into the channel, I take this as just being something for the evening and seeing as I didn't really need voice I ignore it. Logging on later in the evening and this morning and the problem is still there. I've really tried everything that has been suggested, except router firmware as I don't have such a thing. 

Old 08-30-2008, 01:49 PM   #23
Antipalad

General

build="SOEBuild=5064L" version="SOEVersionString=2008/8/27 11:39:00" build_type="USER OPTIMIZED" ls_address="none" zone="fprt_hood02" loc=" 12.88 -2.82 -84.94" performance="7" alert="e:liveeq2gameclientincVivox.inl(3117): Error while processing Response type 75: 1004/"eXosip_call_send_request() failed."" ^^^ This is what I get from time to time in my alertlog, usually followed up by a crash.
Antipalad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2008, 07:14 AM   #24
salle

Loremaster

Ok, now logged on this morning and things are working again. (I logged onto a different character, but I had restored all the files except for the cashe.
Old 09-04-2008, 04:09 PM   #25
Ikode

caewen wrote:
I was having this issue as well and just resolved it by upgradeing the firmware on my router, we have a D-Link Gamelounge router, had version 1.4 firmware upgraded to 1.7. easy to do log into router put ip in address bar 192.168.0.1, user is admin no password by default click tools tab, on left side is a list click firmware then follow directions from there pretty simple to do just make sure you arent doing anythin with internet as will reset the connection etc, good luck to all this was an easy fix and had nothing to do with ui files so try this before deleting anything from eq2 file
Thank you VERY VERY MUCH.  I did the same thing for my router and now voice chat works.  I think that's the main issue is that the router firmware must be upgraded.
Old 09-17-2008, 01:14 AM   #26
bowhunter008

Loremaster

I'm having this problem as well.   At first all channels worked well.   After a week or so I began to get messages saying "You are not in a chat channel" after logging one character out and another in.   Usually exiting the game and coming back in cleared it up and I could chat again.   A couple weeks after that it got to the point that everytime I attempted to use voice chat, no matter what, I got a message stating that I was not in a channel. 

I've tried restoring my system to a time that I know voice chat was working just in case something changed that caused the problem, but that has done nothing at all to help the situation.

bowhunter008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2008, 08:59 PM   #27
thial

Loremaster

im having issues with voice chat since day one some times it works some times it does not i have deleted all files(not folders) that are in the everquest 2 folder minus the eq2.exe and the .vpk let the game patch changed nothing mic tests fine but i can not join channels If i enable and disable chat over and over and over again eventually something clicks and it works but not always.....If i select different chat channels I do not get the msg you have joined blah chat but if i choose none it tells me i left the last channel i chose even though i was never in the channel....how could it be an issue on my side if it sometimes works and sometimes does not? we should have a website we can go to and log into voice chat. my whole raid has to use the old vent server because I the MT can not acces the ingame voice chat........Editwell now its not working for the guild but i still get this issue everyday
Old 11-02-2008, 11:59 PM   #28
mekibilis

Loremaster

I fix this by logging all the way out of EQ2 and restarting...

Logging to char select does NOT work.

mekibilis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2008, 12:18 PM   #29
G-4

General

I am having the exact same problem as described by t'zadin

I can record my voice and play it back in EQ II so I know it is not an issue of my sound card or Mic not working.

I have no problems using either TS (Team Speak) or Ventrilo. But now my guild wants to use in game voice... and in game voice sure would be nice for pick up groups.

As with t'zadin I am using a D-Link router it is also old... D-Link DI-634M, and my modem was provided by my camle internet provider. RCA Digital Broadband (dont see model # on it)

G-4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2008, 09:43 PM   #30
mekibilis

Loremaster

Update.   I deleted the following files (bugger of a job redoing my windows)

eq2_recent.inieq2_default.iniEverQuest2.exeeq2.ini Servername_CharacterName_EQ2_uisettings.iniStation name_characters.ini

After 4 hours of raid, it seems to be fine.   I would have had an issue by now.

I'll post if it comes back

Update

well.. sorry.. it only lasted for 8 hours..

light is back and the raid is complaining

mekibilis is offline   Reply With Quote