EQ2 Forum Archive @ EQ2Wire

Go Back   EQ2 Forum Archive @ EQ2Wire > EverQuest II > The Development Corner > Developer Roundtable
Members List Search Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 02-28-2012, 03:31 PM   #1
Windstalker

Senior Staff

Hey Norrathians,

It’s been (too) many weeks since you last heard from me.  I have been watching the forums and been eager to post as these are very exciting times for us. And here I am. I’ve come up for air!

In the past month, I’ve been in the trenches with the team reviewing the state of the game and having loads of meetings about our plans as we move forward.  I’m fully absorbed in EQII-ness. 

As you can imagine, the design and art teams continue to be hard at work developing the latest Game Update.  The content is really coming together and the art is also – as usual – amazing. The Velious story is being well-served and we’re jazzed. We’ll start giving more details in the coming days.

At the same time, engineers are hammering out bugs and refining the features we already have (designers are too).  For our engineers, that is their focus for the foreseeable future.  You see some of the results in the updates already, but there is a lot being worked on.  And while we are looking into several issues, we are still chasing the Quest feather/book graphic issue. It is one of those bugs that makes me fully appreciate how complex game programming and art is.

On the subject, I have spent time with various divisions here recently, like Customer Service and Community, to identify concerns and the big hot-button issues with the game and I feel I’m getting my feet wet on that front.  These teams forget nothing and have a very good detailed list we will continue to review and respond to.

We are about to post our March Update plans for the month, and you may have see the February Update message too.  Our plan is to package up what we are doing over the month and share it with you.  When you see it all in one fell swoop, there’s a lot of live content and improvements that are planned and ongoing as we toil away here.

And for what it’s worth for those who asked about my Dev name..."Windstalker" has an obvious connection to Holly Windstalker which is a wood elf druid character who exists in both EQ and EQII.  She’s very protective to put it mildly.  The name felt appropriate. For those who are interested, Vahlar was my EQ Dev name for my Vah Shir though I’m sure that’s old news by now.  I thought about hyphenating...

I plan to communicate regularly, ideally with something interesting to say.  Or I may just report the weather.  (It’s still raining...)

My best to all of you intrepid gamers. Until next time (which will not be another month away)...sigh. SMILEY

Holly "Windstalker" LongdaleProud ProducerEverQuest II

Producer

EverQuest II
Windstalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 03:39 PM   #2
Dyaon

Scholar

Sounds good! Can't wait to see what March's plans are. SMILEY

Dyaon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 03:47 PM   #3
Yimway

Loremaster

I look forward to seeing this list.

Old 02-28-2012, 03:48 PM   #4
agentsix

Loremaster

Thanks for the post.

If I might make a suggestion, SmokeJumper seemed to have a practice, whether it was intentional or not, or posting on the forums around the same time each day. I'm guessing that near the end of the day in the office, or out at the pub drinking a beer after work, he'd chime in one a few posts on many days.

As a forum reader I recognized that and I would check the forums late in the evening to 'see what Smokey posted.

I'm not saying you have to do the same but semi-regular posts by the boss helped me to know that someone was on the case.

Cheers,

agentsix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 03:50 PM   #5
agentsix

Loremaster

Just to add, one of the things I really appreciate is when the lead person offers up a roadmap of the upcoming 12 months. As a player, I like to know whats on the horizon.

agentsix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 04:10 PM   #6
Nrgy

Lord

[email protected] Bazaar wrote:

Just to add, one of the things I really appreciate is when the lead person offers up a roadmap of the upcoming 12 months. As a player, I like to know whats on the horizon.

They (SOE) doesn't do that becasue they say roadmap and we (the community) hear blood-contract.

I would be most interested in hearing about what the Dev's plan is on the announced CM removal and how removing the one major item which identified gear tiers now being removed will make Heroic gear 99.5% as good as hard mode raid gear?

Additionaly, why ANYONE would think something as trivial as 1000 to 1500 health (3% to 5%) thru the forced use of +health adornments would be attractive for ANYONE to use when many of those toons already are beyond 50k health now, while not returning the original cost or removing the adornments from the gear which is no longer going to be used due to item #1?

Please include with the CM reversal the unadornment and unattunment process which you misrepresented a year ago and thousands of people believed.

Nrgy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 04:12 PM   #7
Neskonlith

Loremaster

Thanks for the post, it's always nice to hear something from SOE!

The SOE forums seems too quiet these days, especially with highly visible SOE members who used to regularly interact with the forum community having left.

...after all, if you keep the piranhas well fed, they will not be starved and looking to tear stuff apart!

"...Gibbets, son. Nothing else in the world smells like that. I love the smell of carrion in the morning. You know, one time we had Freeport TG defended, pvp for 12 hours. When it was all over, I walked to their revive spot. We didn't find one of 'em, not one stinkin' QQ body. The smell, you know that putrescent smell, the whole writ house. Smelled like… victory..."

- Apocalypse Gnome
Neskonlith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 04:34 PM   #8
interstellarmatter

Loremaster

Thanks for the post!   Looking forwarding to hearing more.

Old 02-28-2012, 04:39 PM   #9
Nrgy

Lord

interstellarmatter wrote:

The word "More" implies you hear something in the first place.

Nrgy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 04:46 PM   #10
Freejazzlive

Loremaster

Windstalker wrote:

I plan to communicate regularly

Communicate ... or post?

There's a BIG difference between the two, as we've all long experienced with this company.

Golgi Apparati, Swashbuckler of Freeport

Aheedi Adaephon, Warlock of Freeport
Freejazzlive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 04:50 PM   #11
Lempo

Loremaster

Nrgy wrote:

Not to mention the difference between hearing and listening.

Summary:

1.Hearing and Listening uses both your ears.2.Hearing is receiving sound waves through your ears, while listening means hearing and understanding what you’ve heard.3.Hearing is part of the five senses, while listening is a choice to hear and analyze what you hear.4.Hearing is using your ears only, while listening is using your body’s other senses.5.Listening is observing other’s behavior that can add meaning to the message, while hearing is simply receiving sound vibrations.6.Listening can build better relationships with others, while hearing cannot.7.Take good care of your ears; you cannot listen when you cannot hear.

Of course we are talking about TEXT here and not soundwaves however it still applies. 

Somewhere in Norrath a guild is about to dissolve.
Lempo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 05:00 PM   #12
Windstalker

Senior Staff

I should have added that I'll Tweet (@WindstalkerEQ2) from time to time, hopefully with embarrassing pictures of other people.  Those will likely end up on the forums too, but I thought I'd mention that it exists!

Producer

EverQuest II
Windstalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 05:07 PM   #13
Onorem

Loremaster

Windstalker wrote:

I should have added that I'll Tweet (@WindstalkerEQ2) from time to time, hopefully with embarrassing pictures of other people.  Those will likely end up on the forums too, but I thought I'd mention that it exists!

Please try to be sure they do also end up on the forums. Facebook and Twitter are annoying. I hate having to make extra accounts and keep up with extra tabs to see what other media might have new information that has been made available when everyone in the game has access to these forums through their existing accounts. If @WindstalkerEQ2 is simply for posting embarrassing pics, fine...but it shouldn't be where announcements that matter to the game itself are made. It was a tough time to take the position you have...but I hope it all gets better.

Old 02-28-2012, 05:14 PM   #14
LardLord

Loremaster

Hey Windstalker, one of your predecessors, Smokejumper, had a huge impact on the game (both positive and negative), but he clearly valued quantity over quality.  I know that it is the producer's job to get stuff done, but many of the projects completed under Smokejumper were so rushed and "half-baked" that they are now given as examples of wasted development time (such as the Dungeon Finder).

Please be careful to avoid this pitfall.  While developers will never be 100% satisfied with their work, we have clearly seen that rushing to complete a plethora of projects can be wasteful in EQ2.

LardLord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 05:16 PM   #15
Calthine

ZAM EQII

[email protected] Bayle wrote:

Hey Windstalker, one of your predecessors, Smokejumper,

Heh, you're aware that SJ is Windstalker's boss?

Please visit my non-gaming Blog! or follow me on Twitter!

Calthine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 05:17 PM   #16
Onorem

Loremaster

Calthine wrote:

Hey Windstalker, one of your predecessors, Smokejumper,

Heh, you're aware that SJ is Windstalker's boss?

It's still a very reasonable post...

Old 02-28-2012, 05:20 PM   #17
Evyn

Loremaster

I have a problem with this post.

Holly Windstalker wasn't a wood elf in EQ1 

... I revenge murdered her enough times to know a human when I see one!

Evyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 05:47 PM   #18
Calthine

ZAM EQII

Onorem wrote:

It's still a very reasonable post...

True!

Please visit my non-gaming Blog! or follow me on Twitter!

Calthine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 06:04 PM   #19
SOE-MOD-08

Community Moderator

This post has moved: /eq2/posts/preList.m?topic_id=50009...post_id=5725772 Trolling SOE employee.
SOE-MOD-08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 06:17 PM   #20
interstellarmatter

Loremaster

Nrgy wrote:

Maybe it's not exactly what you wanted to hear right now but it was something..more than we've been hearing.

Maybe you're having some problems with your hearing.

Old 02-28-2012, 07:00 PM   #21
Cloudrat

Tester

Windstalker wrote:

And for what it’s worth for those who asked about my Dev name..."Windstalker" has an obvious connection to Holly Windstalker which is a wood elf druid character who exists in both EQ and EQII.  She’s very protective to put it mildly. 

The Holly "Windstalker" LongdaleProud ProducerEverQuest II

Hmm from what I remember of my interactions with Holly Windstalker, the players were not the ones of whom she was protectiveSMILEY

Nice to hear from you!SMILEY

Old 02-28-2012, 07:05 PM   #22
Lempo

Loremaster

Nrgy wrote:

Maybe it's not exactly what you wanted to hear right now but it was something..more than we've been hearing.

Maybe you're having some problems with your hearing.

I heard what she said and I listened, there was nothing of substance whatsoever. Maybe you are hearing things?

Somewhere in Norrath a guild is about to dissolve.
Lempo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 08:17 PM   #23
Katz

Loremaster

Windstalker wrote:

Some of us don't tweet or even look at tweets and rarely facebook.  About the only time I check facebook is when the forums are down.

Katz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 08:20 PM   #24
TheGeneral

Loremaster

Thank you for reaching out.  I look forward to any information on the upcoming developments.

Old 02-28-2012, 10:42 PM   #25
Juravael

Loremaster

Onorem wrote:

Windstalker wrote:

Please try to be sure they do also end up on the forums. Facebook and Twitter are annoying. I hate having to make extra accounts and keep up with extra tabs to see what other media might have new information that has been made available when everyone in the game has access to these forums through their existing accounts. If @WindstalkerEQ2 is simply for posting embarrassing pics, fine...but it shouldn't be where announcements that matter to the game itself are made. It was a tough time to take the position you have...but I hope it all gets better.

I could not agree more. I do not use Twitter, Facebook or any other 'social media'. I come to the Official Game Forums for any information related the game that I am playing, whether it is this one or another. The Official Forums is where the information should be posted first.

Juravael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 02:53 AM   #26
GrunEQ

Tester

Onorem wrote:

Windstalker wrote:

I could not agree more. I do not use Twitter, Facebook or any other 'social media'. I come to the Official Game Forums for any information related the game that I am playing, whether it is this one or another. The Official Forums is where the information should be posted first.

IMO the Forums is where anything of import should be post first. 

"O to be a voyager and a yoyeur no longer."

GrunEQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 05:23 AM   #27
Bacci
Server: Runnyeye
Guild: Free Spirits

Loremaster

Hello Holly

Thank you for your nice and friendly post. Your plans to package up what you are doing over the month and share it with us is very, very welcome. Can't wait to see it.

(Especially since i got a sneak peek at Honvar or should i call him Lumpy?)

If you make this regulary and on THIS FORUMS - not facebook or twitter or any second hand media, it would be a huge positive step into a better relation between customers and SOE team.

This forums are the official SOE platform for EQ2. So this should be the first place where any news show up.

In the past we saw SOE people on facebook and twitter ( which is ok but not as 1st source of info)  and we simply did not get some IMPORTANT info about this game because of this. We cannot spot all existing media just in case....

So i ask you nicely to use this forums as your first tool to communicate to us.

I believe that you are a good producer and EQ2 will benefit from your work.

Bacci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 05:42 AM   #28
Elomort

Loremaster

Thanks for the post, looking forward to the March list.

Thousands of candles can be lighted from a single candle, and the life of the candle will not be shortened. Happiness never decreases by being shared.
Elomort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 07:59 PM   #29
Seffrid

Loremaster

I do not take part in any social networking, and expect the first place for any announcements or other communications with the players to be these forums. Putting something on Facebook or whatever is no different to posting it on a favoured guild's forum, it is making announcements to a select few away from the official board for the game and that in my view is wrong. If people want to know what is happening in the game this is the place they will come to.

If an announcement is particularly significant then the post here should be linked from the launcher so people's attention is drawn to it, and if it is as significant as, oh I don't know but let's say, hypothetically you understand, if my account was being sold off to another company, then I'd also expect that to be detailed in an email.

And as one who frequented the Qeynos Hills greatly in the old days, and more recently on the progression servers, I can confirm that Holly Windstalker was indeed not a wood elf!

Those points aside, welcome Holly SMILEY!

Seffrid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 08:33 PM   #30
Chronus1

Loremaster

Looking forward to this March list and really hope that certain issues that have been present as far back as GU60 are adressed properly with a good deal of thought.