EQ2 Forum Archive @ EQ2Wire

Go Back   EQ2 Forum Archive @ EQ2Wire > EverQuest II > The Development Corner > Developer Roundtable
Members List Search Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 02-01-2012, 02:18 PM   #1
SmokeJumper

DoD

***This change is now on Test***

We’ve listened to all of your conversations since Critical Mitigation was originally introduced. The dev team has extensively debated about it internally. (Very extensively.) But ultimately, we decided that the right move for EQII is to remove Critical Mitigation entirely from the game. Critical Mitigation initially seemed to do what it was designed for, but it has always suffered from a complete lack of intuitiveness for players, and it’s not a forward-extensible system. Ultimately, it doesn’t add any fun factor to the game.  So we’ve decided that a complete removal of it is by far the best solution for all concerned. Here are the details:

• Critical Mitigation (the stat) has been removed from the game.
  • Critical Mitigation no longer displays on the Character pane (for obvious reasons, since it’s no longer in the game).
  • NPCs no longer use Critical Bonus to add to critical damage.
  • Buffs and debuffs that have Critical Mitigation elements to them will have those elements replaced with other elements instead, so that those buffs/debuffs do not lose effectiveness.
  • Critical Mitigation values on adornments will be replaced with hit point values instead.

NOTE: This change has no effect on PvP game play. The “PvP Critical Mitigation” stat is still useful for game balance in PvP play and is not being changed.

EverQuest Franchise (EQ, EQII, EQN)
SmokeJumper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 02:30 PM   #2
Rageincarnate
Server: Unrest
Guild: Vindication

Loremaster

YAY!!!!     /blinks..  we can actually choose to put adorns on other then cm!!   We don't need a second set of gear just for crit mit!?!?!   pushing farming times even longer ?!?!

/faints  I have choices again! 

It's not april fools is it?

Rageincarnate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 02:34 PM   #3
Foretold
Server: Unrest_old
Guild: Rage

Loremaster

Wow!

Wish I could get back all those shards I spent on red crit mit adorns, but I still have enough to do plenty of new red adorn shopping

Foretold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 02:36 PM   #4
Rageincarnate

Loremaster

wait a sec :/   the crit mit values on gear current gear?  what are you doing with that? 

I'm thinking let us reforge them ourselves.. just open reforging a little more to have more options.

I don't think i'll be happy long if i see my crit mit changed to wisdom or something crazy on my fighter bp.

Old 02-01-2012, 02:40 PM   #5
Lader

Loremaster

love this announcement. now we dont have to go back to older raids to gear up recruits.

Old 02-01-2012, 02:40 PM   #6
Vitriol
Server: Splitpaw
Guild: Knights of the White Shield

Loremaster

SmokeJumper wrote:

• Buffs and debuffs that have Critical Mitigation elements to them will have those elements replaced with other elements instead, so that those buffs/debuffs do not lose effectiveness.

Please, from a warden's point of view, don't mess up the buff you give us instead of Critical Debilitation.

Vitriol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 02:43 PM   #7
Jrel
Server: Butcherblock
Guild: Blackstar Rising

Loremaster

OMG!  

Wait, is it April 1?  

Jrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 02:43 PM   #8
Mystfit

Loremaster

I'm curious, How will this affect *the little guy*. As in, non-radier, non-mega geared person. We are basically trolling in the easier beginning DOV instances, but mostly because we want to run 3 people, 3 mercs and scripting is too heavy in many zones to not have 6 real people and not, I assume, because of crit mit. Will we see any progression in our eq2 experience. I'd love it, we've felt so down-trodden for so long, but am not clear enough on crit mit to know it it affected our progression.

Old 02-01-2012, 02:46 PM   #9
Lempo

Loremaster

Sounds like a quick fix to get Plane of War opened up.

Those details are not really details, they are short little blurbs, if this has been debated extensively internally there must be more information than this.

Somewhere in Norrath a guild is about to dissolve.
Lempo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 02:46 PM   #10
Keelinn
Guild: Rift

Loremaster

Do I get all my plat/shards refunded for all the adorns I had to buy :p

Keelinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 02:46 PM   #11
Madie

Loremaster

Three cheers for making it so any noob can have the stats to raid yet again..    You basically  handed them Rygor gear, that many of us worked very hard to earn.. Now we can't even check CM as a way to know if people "actually" know how to set their toon up.. and  Live..  Wooooo Hooo    /rolls eyes

Madie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 02:49 PM   #12
Coniaric

Loremaster

[email protected] wrote:

wait a sec :/   the crit mit values on gear current gear?  what are you doing with that? 

I'm thinking let us reforge them ourselves.. just open reforging a little more to have more options.

I don't think i'll be happy long if i see my crit mit changed to wisdom or something crazy on my fighter bp.

Reread the post again.

• Critical Mitigation values on adornments will be replaced with hit point values instead.
  • I don't think you'll need to worry about having wisdom showing up on your fighter gear, or anything else, at this point.

Old 02-01-2012, 02:49 PM   #13
    Lempo

Loremaster

Mystfit wrote:

I'm curious, How will this affect *the little guy*. As in, non-radier, non-mega geared person. We are basically trolling in the easier beginning DOV instances, but mostly because we want to run 3 people, 3 mercs and scripting is too heavy in many zones to not have 6 real people and not, I assume, because of crit mit. Will we see any progression in our eq2 experience. I'd love it, we've felt so down-trodden for so long, but am not clear enough on crit mit to know it it affected our progression.

If you want to run 3 people and 3 mercs then run easy zones, I don't see the point here beyond you saying "Make the zones easy enough so we can do it with 3 people and 3 mercs, because we don't want to run with 6 people we want the extra gear that the mercs do not take any part of."

Old 02-01-2012, 02:50 PM   #14
    Gravy

Lord

[email protected] wrote:

Sounds like a quick fix to get Plane of War opened up.

Yep. More evidence of what I posted earlier:

Don't think the game is broken? Ask yourself, how come nearly update post DoV included a nerf of DoV zones? Because they were broken and rather than fix them, SoE just made them a bit easier. Then a bit more easier. Then a bit more easier....

Crit Mit was a broken mechanic from the start. They tried to compensate by nerfing DoV zones from almost day 1. They got to the point where they couldn't nerf much more so they had to pull it.

Gravy is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 02-01-2012, 02:50 PM   #15
    Madie

Loremaster

Why not refund the plat/shards that was spent on CM adorns...  I'd be less inclined to put HP adorns on my healer then I was CM... sooooo If I could kindly just get my raid shards and plat back to pick what I want? Thank you 

Madie is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 02-01-2012, 02:51 PM   #16
    Hanonu

Loremaster

Why not, instead of removing it completely, just lower the needed amounts necessary for zones? Or increase the amounts on adorns and gear and make some of it slightly more accessable for the guilds/people who dont raid 4-6 times a week?

Just a suggestion *shrug*

Hanonu is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 02-01-2012, 02:52 PM   #17
    Sedenten

Loremaster

SmokeJumper wrote:

Remember to change item procs that buffed critical migitation during this sweep, too! (specifically, Sentinel's Fate items)

Sedenten is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 02-01-2012, 02:52 PM   #18
    Wanic
    Server: Runnyeye
    Guild: Slayer of dreams

Loremaster

I liked the idea of critical mitigation, it allowed me to aim for something before i entered a new dungeon. 

So what happens now? In the form of dungeon progression i mean, can we literally wander into drunder zones of the bat? 

Old 02-01-2012, 02:52 PM   #19
    Iskandar

Loremaster

Mystfit wrote:

Basically, it means that crit mit requirements will no longer be a barrier to casual players for accessing the Kael or Drunder instances -- which will be more heroic choices for your 3-man/3-merc group. It also means that raids will have a much easier time of gearing up new members who begin with heroic/crafted gear -- no more farming EM!

I'm glad I checked the forums today -- my "to do" list for today included buying 7 crit mit adorns for a new Warden alt!

Iskandar is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 02-01-2012, 02:52 PM   #20
    Zergosch

Loremaster

i dont see a prob if it would be removed for heroic content, but for raid? oO there are some items that only have a use for having high critmit on them....

Zergosch is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 02-01-2012, 02:53 PM   #21
    Cyliena
    Server: Everfrost
    Guild: Crusaders of Neriak

Fansite Staff

It's about time. I can't recall any players thinking this was a great idea even back during DoV beta.

Cyliena is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 02-01-2012, 02:53 PM   #22
    MystsofLedge12

Lord

well...... then what magic stat will we need? if Crit Mit is no longer an issue........ ok so rather than fix the crit hits that mobs pop you just remove it...... I hate to say it but EQ2 with this will take a step towards some other game that has been sold by Shatner, Ozzy and now Chuck Norris.

Why not let us keep the crit mit.... just weaken some of the mob's ability to crit, there has to be some challenge and strat to these dungeons.... tank n spank gets a bit old.

Edit: and WAAIIIIIITTTT i dont have as much Crit Mit as other but well I EARNED WHAT I GOT!

Old 02-01-2012, 02:53 PM   #23
    Lempo

Loremaster

Madie wrote:

Three cheers for making it so any noob can have the stats to raid yet again..    You basically  handed them Rygor gear, that many of us worked very hard to earn.. Now we can't even check CM as a way to know if people "actually" know how to set their toon up.. and  Live..  Wooooo Hooo    /rolls eyes

Within 2 weeks of this going live the board is going to be flooded with demands that the mobs not have crit avoidance because people will think that they have business in HM Drunder, but can't get down the first hallway because heals are not critting and one group of trash mobs will take and hour to kill.

This is not going to be a good move, because it is going to lead to more demands for this and that to be removed.

Old 02-01-2012, 02:53 PM   #24
    Zahk
    Server: Crushbone
    Guild: Liquid

Loremaster

Wow.  Looks like you found another easy button.  Just how many more drastic changes are going to be implemented in the next month or 2?  Sure plenty of people will cheer this decision and rush to the zones they didn't have the crit mit for before now... and then complain it's still to hard and beg for more nerfs... Kinda ruins the whole sense of accomplishment for getting through something that was a challenge.  Honestly, it's not even the same game it was a few months ago anymore.  Some of us do actually like a challenge, at least it means something when you finally beat it.

Sorry to be critical, I agree crit mit is a pain, but for something that we've had to work with for so long to be suddenly just taken out of the picture, that's pretty drastic.  I suppose the next step will be removing critical avoidance too?  I shouldn't be surprised at this... but I am.

Zahk is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 02-01-2012, 02:54 PM   #25
    Oadin
    Guild: Handle It

Loremaster

bah this means i wont die as much now SMILEY

will have to find other ways to die in raids SMILEY

Oadin is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 02-01-2012, 02:54 PM   #26
    Loric
    Guild: Draco Mortis

Loremaster

How soon is soon? Should I not bother wearing or adorning any new raid armour I get because I'll be wasting cash and shards on cm adorns?

Or is this the same soon as in 'EQ2players site coming soon'? If so then it will be a few months so I can carry on buying cm adorns for now.

Loric is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 02-01-2012, 02:56 PM   #27
    Vixey

Loremaster

I don't want more hit points if i did I would have done so. Put an npc to give us our money and shards back for our crit mit adorns or change them all to crit bonus adorns.

Vixey is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 02-01-2012, 02:56 PM   #28
    Lempo

Loremaster

Iskandar wrote:

Basically, it means that crit mit requirements will no longer be a barrier to casual players for accessing the Kael or Drunder instances -- which will be more heroic choices for your 3-man/3-merc group. It also means that raids will have a much easier time of gearing up new members who begin with heroic/crafted gear -- no more farming EM!

I'm glad I checked the forums today -- my "to do" list for today included buying 7 crit mit adorns for a new Warden alt!

See, and this guy will be one of the first ones asking why they can't do HM drunder in the Ry'Gorr gear.

Old 02-01-2012, 02:56 PM   #29
    Xenxex
    Server: Antonia Bayle
    Guild: Azure Skies

Loremaster

Confused a bit,...so mobs can crit us again?

Xenxex is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 02-01-2012, 02:56 PM   #30
    Rageincarnate

Loremaster

Coniaric wrote:

[email protected] wrote:

Reread the post again.

• I don't think you'll need to worry about having wisdom showing up on your fighter gear, or anything else, at this point.

that .. says.. adorns.. what about the natural crit mit values .. on gear..  /yikes..