EQ2 Forum Archive @ EQ2Wire

Go Back   EQ2 Forum Archive @ EQ2Wire > EverQuest II > The Development Corner > Developer Roundtable
Members List Search Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 07-27-2010, 03:08 PM   #61
Barx
Server: Antonia Bayle
Guild: Mayhem

Loremaster

SmokeJumper wrote:

[email protected] wrote:

1. EQX is going to have their own servers? This does not help the population on the existing servers at all. Please look into integrating this on all servers.

We specifically separated the services because feedback from you folks has always been that the bulk of existing players would hate having the free-to-play marketplace items on their worlds. That they want players to have to earn everything in order to succeed.

I'm afraid we just have to leave them separate at this point.

We are going to be adding incentive programs to ensure the subscription service still stays attractive to players. We are leaving the Recruit a Friend functionality in place also.

I hope when you're talking about the bit I bolded that you consider the Station Access folks. The last thing I would want to see happen is bonuses for multi-month subs for regular EQ2 but no option for SA folks to do the same and end up not getting the same incentives.

Barx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2010, 03:08 PM   #62
NViDiaFReaK

Loremaster

We are soon to be the red headed step child.  Why do i fear we will slowly be phased out!

with that said.. Lets ask our selves, What good is F2P going to do for us.  I fear nothing.  As "he who must not be named" graciously put it, the people playing on the f2p servers can upgrade to a gold level membership to be able to get all the goodies.  Thats fine and dandy, but how exactly does it help the already established servers.

These new players are going to be on the f2p server, if they upgrade to the subscription model aka gold level they are still going to be on the f2p server.  Its not like the majority are going to say " I wanna move to the subscription based plan, so now i get to reroll and remake my toons on a completely new server"  not gonna happen.  They start on the f2p server 99% will stay on the f2p server.  And if the money rolls in and rolls in from f2p , it will just push us longtime subscribers further into the back closet.

This will just funnel all new blood to eq2x and the population on live will cease to grow.

I can see if it was going to be restricted to 1-50 but lets face it... this has ABSOLUTELY nothing to do with helping out the population or even so much as getting tons of new blood as it does with RTM.  Thats Mr. Gorgeson's specialty after all.  This move is all about getting RTM, REAL RTM, into the world of EQ2.

anyone see the correlation between EQ2X and EQ2 neXt

Old 07-27-2010, 03:08 PM   #63
Ristan
Server: Crushbone
Guild: Contempt

Loremaster

My only concern, since I have no interest in playing f2p, is this:

This is being done to generate revenue, bring in new players to the game, etc.  All good things but IMO we have to treat this as two separate games.  In essence this will bring new players to EQ2X, while EQ2 Live will continue to see population stagnation, and possible decline. I am assuming that EQ2X will be the advertised model "hey come play our game for free and try it out" well they are trying out eq2x not eq2 live, which means they will remain on the other servers...which is absolutely no help to us over in the old servers, unless us old subscribers decide to go play in EQ2X as well, which I'd quit the game before doing that.

I hope I am wrong, but I don't think I will be.  I think the next step in this chain will probably be server merges on the EQ2 live side, so that there will be enough people to populate the live servers.  I am not a sky is falling type, but with the string of new MMOs due out, and the eq2 team spreading our playerbase out over more servers with different rules ...just doesn't look like a good future ahead.

My 2cp, however, if it works, great.

Ristan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2010, 03:08 PM   #64
Kizee

Loremaster

So this is just a glorified exchange server.....we all know how well that server is doing...

Like the previous posters have said..... this will just dilute the population even more. I hope you are offering free transfers to other servers or at least merging them.

Kizee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2010, 03:08 PM   #65
awny

General

My concern is this will stop new blood from coming to our servers...  Everyone who is new will just be on a different one.  I foresee many server merges down the road.

awny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2010, 03:09 PM   #66
Vinyard

Loremaster

SmokeJumper wrote:

[email protected] wrote:

1. EQX is going to have their own servers? This does not help the population on the existing servers at all. Please look into integrating this on all servers.

We specifically separated the services because feedback from you folks has always been that the bulk of existing players would hate having the free-to-play marketplace items on their worlds. That they want players to have to earn everything in order to succeed.

We are going to be adding incentive programs to ensure the subscription service still stays attractive to players. We are leaving the Recruit a Friend functionality in place also.

Do you have any more info on the "incentive programs"? What else do you have planned?

Vinyard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2010, 03:09 PM   #67
Finora

Tester

Once Extended launches, the 14-day trial will no longer be available to the general public. New players can try the Extended free adventure service instead. However, 14-day trial passes for the EQII subscription service will still be distributed by active players on the live subscription service via the Recruit-a-Friend program. This way, friends can play together on the same server and still enjoy free time. The RAF program will be updated at a later point in time to include Extended invitations and rewards.

I DO NOT like this bit at all. Not even a little bit. This funnels people to the 'extended' version, while limiting the new blood from trying out the real version of Eq2. I find this bit particularly unacceptable.

I love SOE's games, I really do but some of their moves leave me dumbfounded.

I'm fine that they'll offer this marketplace stuff on a seperate server set. That'll affect my gameplay about as much as livegamer did (which is to say not at all). However, the appearance given is that EXTENDED is going to be what you try to make any new players go to. That is just wrong.

The only real problem probably 99% of the current playerbase would have with this is the marketplace items. I'm willing to bet very few would be upset if there were lower tier memberships availble for the real servers. THAT would pull in some new players to our regular servers, giving a much needed population boost to the players on the slow servers.

If you think people are all just going to trickle over to the extended servers, I'm willing to bet you'd be really wrong. Many many would just quit and move on to another game that implimented things in a more sensible manner.

Finora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2010, 03:09 PM   #68
Duhana

Loremaster

Will they access the same Battlegrounds?  And have an edge there?

Personally, I don't want it on the live servers.  Period.  Marketplace, ugh, I rampaged against it in its early days, but in the end, I shut up and took it.

That being said -- how does adding an additional community help the current one?  If they are on different servers, what good will that do the live players?  None.

I admit fully and freely, I'm addicted to this game and the people.  Never pretended otherwise.  But, just because it's hard to quit smoking doesn't mean it isn't worth it.

Not a fan, either of being said, in essence...  No F2P...  Psyche!

( PS - the Subscription matrix, for those that haven't seen it yet:  here&nbspSMILEY

Duhana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2010, 03:11 PM   #69
Warpax

Loremaster

awnya2 wrote:

My concern is this will stop new blood from coming to our servers...  Everyone who is new will just be on a different one.  I foresee many server merges down the road.

thats probably the plan. Those of us on the regular monthly sub service will be forced pony up for server transfers or switch to the new f2p server which will make the original server even more less populated.

Warpax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2010, 03:11 PM   #70
Kordran

Loremaster

Grumble69 wrote:

Personally I think it's a great idea.  It makes it much easier for someone to try out EQ2.  You can muck around on the free side at your own pace and get a good taste of the game.

EDIT:  This has the potential to bring some long needed new blood to the game.

I'm not really sure how this will bring new blood to our (version) of the game. The concern is that it's going to have a significantly negative impact on raiding because you're going to see population drift to the EQ2X servers. And personally I'm concerned, despite assurances otherwise, that players on the standard servers will become second-class citizens if EQ2X becomes very popular. Businesses naturally go where the money is, and it's not hard to imagine their limited development resources are going to be focused on what improves their bottom line the most.

My other concern is that this push to "simplify" the game is also only going to accelerate in an attempt to attract more EQ2X players. Since the core game mechanics are the same, if they keep making changes that are designed to be more "casual friendly" then we're going to automatically inherit whatever those changes may be.

I see a lot of potential for unintended consequences here, both in terms of gameplay and population.

Old 07-27-2010, 03:12 PM   #71
irish

Tester

Any word on how the new bonuses coming for doing multi-month subscriptions will effect station acess,since we can only pay by the month?

irish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2010, 03:13 PM   #72
SmokeJumper

DoD

TalisX1 wrote:

SmokeJumper wrote:

Gaige wrote:

2) We'll see less content, because it won't be as profitable.

1, 2, and 3 = no, that's not true.

All updates and all content will go out to both services at the same time.

When the new expansion becomes available, it becomes available to both services at the same time. When new game updates come out, they go to both services at the same time.

If 2 is false then any items with stats that are added to the extended marketplace will be able to be found/quested for on live? Or is that content we will not be getting?

Silat

There are certain items and equipment that will be Extended-only. That's true. But the vast majority of those are being offered now and most of them are items that already existed in the game, but are being sold in the free-to-play marketplace as convenience items.

Most items that go into the Marketplace from now on will be available on both sides of the fence, and the ones that take the greatest amount of effort are almost always Appearance items that do not have stats. (Like the new racial heritage armor sets that will be coming out soon.)

EverQuest Franchise (EQ, EQII, EQN)
SmokeJumper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2010, 03:13 PM   #73
Brildean

Loremaster

so how does this development time solve the other issues.. like server mergers which really needs to happen.. sooner the better. sitting around friday night at prime time and only 10 people talking in 80-89 is a joke in an mmo world. its more like we are playing a single player game with an irc chat program. 

Also will there be any transfers available from extended servers to live servers.. like say a gold account is sitting at lvl 80 bored to death wants new things to do, Will he have the option to transfer to a live server or will this be out of the question and keep influx of new players out of the live server community.

Brildean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2010, 03:14 PM   #74
SmokeJumper

DoD

Gaige wrote:

SmokeJumper wrote:

You said a month ago EQ2 wasn't going F2P.  Why would I believe you now?

I didn't say that. I never said "EQII wasn't going F2P". What I said was that we wouldn't change your existing subscription service. And we didn't. We added a new one.

Old 07-27-2010, 03:14 PM   #75
Andu

General

SmokeJumper wrote:

[email protected] wrote:

You said you weren't putting ftp in EQ2. You have now put ftp in EQ2 but contrived to remove any of the positive benefits of it from the live players.

Not only have you angered the people who are against ftp, who will now paint you as the biggest liar in existence since Smedley, you have annoyed the pro-ftp people like myself who have seen the huge benefits the model has brought to other games such as DDO.

Unless you can somehow get the players who want to go subscription off the extended servers and onto live, this is just bad news for the existing players. All we can now see is the slow decline of the live servers.

Old 07-27-2010, 03:15 PM   #76
Warpax

Loremaster

SmokeJumper wrote:

Gaige wrote:

SmokeJumper wrote:

I didn't say that. I never said "EQII wasn't going F2P". What I said was that we wouldn't change your existing subscription service. And we didn't. We added a new one.

yeah but you added a new one that will eventually kill the old one.

Warpax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2010, 03:15 PM   #77
Rageincarnate
Server: Unrest
Guild: Vindication

Loremaster

i would pay a crapton for a increase odds of rare drop potion.

Rageincarnate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2010, 03:17 PM   #78
Iamken

Tester

I realize a bulk of the players said no F2P on live servers, but there has to be some sort of compromise must exist. Just don't sell appropriate level armor/weapons in the SC store. I'm fine with temp buffs, character slots, storage limits, etc being available.

Quinleigh - 90 Fury - Unrest

Rylaar - 90 Ranger - Unrest

Fife - 60 Troubador - Test
Iamken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2010, 03:18 PM   #79
SmokeJumper

DoD

[email protected] wrote:

We are soon to be the red headed step child.  Why do i fear we will slowly be phased out!

Absolutely not true. If we didn't care about the players in the current worlds and subscription plan, then we would have just rolled F2P into the existing servers.

Instead, we've gone to significant effort to separate the worlds so that player types don't have to intermix...but still setting things up so that all content upgrades and improvements go to both services at the same time.

Old 07-27-2010, 03:18 PM   #80
Malicorp

Loremaster

The elimination of the free trial on subscription servers combined with the leveling bonuses gained on Extended will greatly reduce the number of new players entering the Subscription model servers. I'd imagine we're looking at merging the existing Subscription model servers down in a nd year or 2 when the populations continue to dwindle.

I can't blame SOE though. How can you? This is a business for them and a hobby for us. They are required to do what increases their profit margain the most lest they be the next one on the list for layoffs.

Old 07-27-2010, 03:19 PM   #81
Vortexelemental
Server: The Bazaar
Guild: Wherever the Wind May Blow

Loremaster

SmokeJumper wrote:

[email protected] wrote:

Absolutely not true. If we didn't care about the players in the current worlds and subscription plan, then we would have just rolled F2P into the existing servers.

Instead, we've gone to significant effort to separate the worlds so that player types don't have to intermix...but still setting things up so that all content upgrades and improvements go to both services at the same time.

You really can't see why this is a bad idea? Really?

Ah, you went and made me giggle.

There goes my sandwich.
Vortexelemental is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2010, 03:19 PM   #82
Indabuff

Loremaster

I also hope that it brings in new players, I am fairly new myself been playing EQ2 for only 9 months, but

loving it. The only thing it lacks is a bigger player base. I agree with others that we should get some extra slots

we are the ones after all funding the free play...SMILEY

Indabuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2010, 03:19 PM   #83
Gaige

Loremaster

Anduri wrote:

Unless you can somehow get the players who want to go subscription off the extended servers and onto live, this is just bad news for the existing players. All we can now see is the slow decline of the live servers.

Which is EXACTLY what they want.

Twofold:

First they can say its our fault.  Smokejumper has already done so in this thread:

"Unfortunately you guys wanted it to be seperate, I didn't lie its A NEW SERVICE."

Second, they'll convert everyone left playing EQ2 to EQ2x, making them a lot more money and forcing RMT on the players who didn't want it because the alternative will be playing on Live servers full of lag with less developmental focus and about 8 other players.

Win/Win for SOE, lose for its veteran players.

Old 07-27-2010, 03:19 PM   #84
Rageincarnate
Server: Unrest
Guild: Vindication

Loremaster

ohh or a potion to decrease leather drop rate...

Rageincarnate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2010, 03:19 PM   #85
SmokeJumper

DoD

[email protected] wrote:

Will they access the same Battlegrounds?  And have an edge there?

EQ2X servers have completely separate Battlegrounds. EQII and EQ2X do not play on the same Battlegrounds servers, nor do they share leaderboards or discovery boards.

Old 07-27-2010, 03:19 PM   #86
Vinyard

Loremaster

SmokeJumper wrote:

[email protected] wrote:

Do you have any more info on what us playing on the subscription servers will get?

Vinyard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2010, 03:20 PM   #87
Frametree

Loremaster

So when you carefully chose your words back then, you knew this was coming?  Is that the idea?  You figured it was ok to mislead, so long as, strictly speaking, you didn't say anything false?  Really?  That's not good.

Now I suppose we have to very, very careful when we interpret what you say, huh? 

SmokeJumper wrote:

Gaige wrote:

SmokeJumper wrote:

Frametree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2010, 03:22 PM   #88
NViDiaFReaK

Loremaster

SmokeJumper wrote:

Gaige wrote:

SmokeJumper wrote:

So essentially you deceived everyone by carefully wording your response in a way that made us all feel warm and snuggly and think of sugar cookies.  All the while your in the kitchen pouring poison in those cookies..  Where you ever in politics?

Old 07-27-2010, 03:22 PM   #89
Zaldor

Loremaster

"But the free-to-play concept is a strong way to expose the world of Norrath to hordes of new players." - SmokeJumper

Looks like you are now seeing the alliance of old players who don't see the benefits of this new scheme.

But hey, at least there aren't any BFRs on the horizon for EQ2.    yet

Zaldor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2010, 03:23 PM   #90
NViDiaFReaK

Loremaster

Gaige wrote:

Anduri wrote:

Which is EXACTLY what they want.

Twofold:

First they can say its our fault.  Smokejumper has already done so in this thread:

"Unfortunately you guys wanted it to be seperate, I didn't lie its A NEW SERVICE."

Second, they'll convert everyone left playing EQ2 to EQ2x, making them a lot more money and forcing RMT on the players who didn't want it because the alternative will be playing on Live servers full of lag with less developmental focus and about 8 other players.

Win/Win for SOE, lose for its veteran players.

QFE... QFE!!!!