EQ2 Forum Archive @ EQ2Wire

Go Back   EQ2 Forum Archive @ EQ2Wire > EverQuest II > The Development Corner > Developer Roundtable
Members List Search Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 07-27-2010, 02:53 PM   #31
kcirrot

Loremaster

Going out to buy a big bag of popcorn, because this thread is going to be epic.

As for the idea, good idea SOE!

kcirrot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2010, 02:54 PM   #32
Vinyard
Server: Antonia Bayle

Loremaster

Well, let's say this feature DOES make a lot of money.

Will that money be used to give more support to the F2P servers, or the current subscriber servers, or both?

Vinyard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2010, 02:55 PM   #33
Lantis

Loremaster

Looking at this subscription matrix, I can see it already in level chat on the Extended servers:

"Palace group LFM, must be subscribed Gold subscriber or better because Adept spells won't be good enough for us, PST"

This will make PUGging a pretty exclusive thing on these servers I fear.

Otherwise, yeah, I'm a bit worried too as a long-time regular subscriber.  Worried at the unforeseen impact this will have on us.

Lantis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2010, 02:56 PM   #34
Ohsiak
Server: Befallen
Guild: Devoted

Lord

Only four free player races for Gold and Platinum memberships??  If I am paying $15 per month or $200 per year, should I not have access to all of the current player races currently available?? 

Ohsiak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2010, 02:57 PM   #35
Gaige

Loremaster

[email protected] Bayle wrote:

Will that money be used to give more support to the F2P servers, or the current subscriber servers, or both?

What do you think?

Old 07-27-2010, 02:58 PM   #36
Jaremai

Loremaster

BearClaw wrote:

P.S. This thread will be heavily moderated, Please keep it civil and PG rated or risk having your posting privileges suspended.

I'm all for moderation.. but will it be heavily responded to as well? 

If I posted my question earlier (about paying $20 extra on EQX to get +3 character slots) to another forum so it got attention, it would be closed and I'd be pointed here where it gets buried among the thousands of other responses.

So I went ahead and I've posted in this thread like I'm supposed to.. and I am not expecting it to be answered.  How sad is that?

Jaremai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2010, 02:58 PM   #37
SmokeJumper

DoD

We did not change your subscription service. Everquest II Extended (EQ2X) is a completely separate service.

Different forums. Different servers. If you want to keep playing the way you wish to play, then there is no difference whatsoever. You don't even have to be aware of it (well...after today anyway).

We're not changing the existing EQII Live subscription service at all.

EverQuest Franchise (EQ, EQII, EQN)
SmokeJumper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2010, 02:59 PM   #38
kiyokobabygirl

Beckett MOG

My main concern is what about those of us on already thinning populated servers. Instead of opening even MORE servers, and thinning the population even further..... Why not give those of us who have been begging for server merges for quite some time a bone so we have a reason to keep playing.

Old 07-27-2010, 02:59 PM   #39
Raknid

Loremaster

Anduri wrote:

I'm actually disappointed this isn't being put onto the current servers, albeit without the ability to buy equipment.

As it stands, I can't see many new players on the extended servers coming over to ours.

They CANNOT transfer, so they would have to start over. IMHO that means practically zero bleedover to the existing game.

For $35 bucks though you can copy your live character over to extended. So I do see some bleed the other way.

I don't see this as a good thing for the people on the existing servers in any regard.

Sure, people will say more subs = more money for development, but we have already been down that path with exchange, LoN, and the market place. Refreseh my memory, but didn't live just lose a dev?

Yeah...place your bets that this will help the live game...and then soon part with that money.

Raknid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2010, 02:59 PM   #40
Vinyard

Loremaster

SmokeJumper wrote:

We did not change your subscription service. Everquest II Extended (EQ2X) is a completely separate service.

Different forums. Different servers. If you want to keep playing the way you wish to play, then there is no difference whatsoever. You don't even have to be aware of it (well...after today anyway).

Good to know. EQ2 is the only MMO I find entertaining right now, and I really want to stay hooked playing it.

Vinyard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2010, 03:00 PM   #41
Kain-UK

Loremaster

The sub levels are pretty [Removed for Content] poor.

If SOE want to go down this route, they really need to look at the model Turbine is using for DDO. That actually allows you to play and experience most of the game, without being severely crippled (2 bag slots??? Adept max???) and it's done wonders for their population.

Elnan Tarmikos: 90/250 Shadowknight

Teion Orval: 90/250 Guardian
Kain-UK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2010, 03:00 PM   #42
Zaldor

Loremaster

I am soooo looking forward to the EQ2 panel at Dragon Con.

Zaldor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2010, 03:01 PM   #43
SmokeJumper

DoD

Gaige wrote:

This will end badly for subscription players.

1) We'll see less support, because we'll be generating less revenue.

2) We'll see less content, because it won't be as profitable.

3) We'll get things last.

I know they'll come here and say this isn't true, but it IS true.  Look at the items that get put on the SC store vs the items we get in game.  What is better?  Oh the stuff people pay more for.

That is how this "service" will work.

1, 2, and 3 = no, that's not true.

All updates and all content will go out to both services at the same time.

When the new expansion becomes available, it becomes available to both services at the same time. When new game updates come out, they go to both services at the same time.

Old 07-27-2010, 03:01 PM   #44
Avianna
Server: Butcherblock
Guild: Ronin

Loremaster

I have mixed feelings about this. I am so very glad they are not on the same servers! I like the idea of being able to mess around with new classes and races for free to see what I want to roll in the real game. But I also fear that this will cause the real game to recieve less attention.

I have to admit I have lost a little respect for Smokejumper for his play on words about the F2P. However I am still optomistic that he is a good communicator who wants his customers happy; and that he is a good leader to the team that he employs to assure that the issues of the player base are being met.

So, for future referance please do not try to beat around the bush, I am sure that most of the player base would rather have bad news straight up then to think we are in the clear and then poof. I doubt this was your intention here Smokejumper but it could be percieved by some as just that so please be aware.

Thank you for making the F2P portion completely seperate from the eq2 paid subscription.

That means to me that you are trying to do what is best for both the company by offering the game for free and getting it out there a bit more readilly available but also you have listened to your existing customers that we do not want F2P so I feel this was a good compromise and nicely done.

Thank you,

-Avianna

P.S. Please speak with your fighter balance team and explain to them that a class wide nerf does not balance out the class. Thank you SMILEY

Old 07-27-2010, 03:02 PM   #45
Hirofortis

Loremaster

SmokeJumper wrote:

Well I like the idea. Heck, I am even open to allowing them to f2p on current servers just without the ability to buy stuff, but I understand the model.  

As far as the not changing anything on current servers, maybe you wouldn't mind a little extra character slot on current servers. SMILEY

Hirofortis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2010, 03:02 PM   #46
EQPrime

Loremaster

Smokejumper wrote:

Want to shortcut your research time? ... Do we sell the very best items and equipment? Nope. Legendary and Fabled gear are better than what you can buy in the marketplace.

He can't even keep his story straight in his announcement.  If I can pay to cut research time it's the same thing as paying for a master.

I'm guessing the AB and Naggy hardware that was recently replaced isn't going to get repurposed to beef up existing servers like you promised either.

Arbre - Warden/Sage
Flippyfloppies - OP SK
Amplify - Troubadour

Slege
Mistmoore
EQPrime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2010, 03:03 PM   #47
Barx
Guild: Mayhem

Loremaster

Anduri wrote:

I'm actually disappointed this isn't being put onto the current servers, albeit without the ability to buy equipment.

As it stands, I can't see many new players on the extended servers coming over to ours.

Why would they? As I understand it, there's no way from extended to regular servers. I'm not a doom-and-gloom person, but I have a bad feeling that we'll watch as the regular servers get smaller, merge a few together, get smaller, merge a few more, until eventually the regular population is rolled in to the free-to-play world in 1-2 years.

The trial and RAF are key to getting new players to play, and those are all going to be on the F2P side now. There's going to be little incentive for new players to play on the regular servers.

Barx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2010, 03:03 PM   #48
TalisX1

Loremaster

SmokeJumper wrote:

Gaige wrote:

I know they'll come here and say this isn't true, but it IS true.  Look at the items that get put on the SC store vs the items we get in game.  What is better?  Oh the stuff people pay more for.

When the new expansion becomes available, it becomes available to both services at the same time. When new game updates come out, they go to both services at the same time.

If 2 is false then any items with stats that are added to the extended marketplace will be able to be found/quested for on live? Or is that content we will not be getting?

Silat

TalisX1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2010, 03:03 PM   #49
Iamken

Tester

My main concern is what about those of us on already thinning populated servers. Instead of opening even MORE servers, and thinning the population even further..... Why not give those of us who have been begging for server merges for quite some time a bone so we have a reason to keep playing.

I agree. The only reason why I wanted to see F2P come to life was to help out the population of existing services. F2P being a seperate service does nothing for me. I guess that is the point.

Quinleigh - 90 Fury - Unrest

Rylaar - 90 Ranger - Unrest

Fife - 60 Troubador - Test
Iamken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2010, 03:04 PM   #50
Andu

General

Raknid wrote:

Anduri wrote:

They CANNOT transfer, so they would have to start over. IMHO that means practically zero bleedover to the existing game.

For $35 bucks though you can copy your live character over to extended. So I do see some bleed the other way.

I don't see this as a good thing for the people on the existing servers in any regard.

Sure, people will say more subs = more money for development, but we have already been down that path with exchange, LoN, and the market place. Refreseh my memory, but didn't live just lose a dev?

Yeah...place your bets that this will help the live game...and then soon part with that money.

I know and therein lies the problem. The bleed will be all one way, both in terms of players and ultimately development time as the revenue for live goes down and extended goes up.

I'd rather they just had the balls to do it properly and go the whole hog on our servers. Or do nothing at all. This half-way house so that they can maintain "they will not put ftp in Everquest 2" while putting ftp in Everquest 2 will have absolutely no positive effects on existing members.

Old 07-27-2010, 03:04 PM   #51
EQPrime

Loremaster

SmokeJumper wrote:

Gaige wrote:

And I suppose all the development time you put into the junk to sell on the marketplace will not take away from development on the real game too...

Arbre - Warden/Sage
Flippyfloppies - OP SK
Amplify - Troubadour

Slege
Mistmoore
EQPrime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2010, 03:05 PM   #52
Carpediem
Guild: Azure Skies

Loremaster

Hahaha you have to pay more money if you want to play a ranger. Next will be "Would you like to increase ranger dps? Price is $399.99 and you can be a important class!"

Carpediem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2010, 03:05 PM   #53
Warpax

Loremaster

so how about a SERVER MERGE for those of us who stick with the original montly sub service?  Cause this is just going to split the already low population on the current servers even more.

Warpax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2010, 03:06 PM   #54
SmokeJumper

DoD

[email protected] wrote:

1. EQX is going to have their own servers? This does not help the population on the existing servers at all. Please look into integrating this on all servers.

We specifically separated the services because feedback from you folks has always been that the bulk of existing players would hate having the free-to-play marketplace items on their worlds. That they want players to have to earn everything in order to succeed.

I'm afraid we just have to leave them separate at this point.

We are going to be adding incentive programs to ensure the subscription service still stays attractive to players. We are leaving the Recruit a Friend functionality in place also.

Old 07-27-2010, 03:06 PM   #55
Warpax

Loremaster

[email protected] wrote:

SmokeJumper wrote:

Gaige wrote:

And I suppose all the development time you put into the junk to sell on the marketplace will not take away from development on the real game too...

I imagie theyll just be selling renamed quest rewards.

Warpax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2010, 03:07 PM   #56
Obscurum

Loremaster

Rothgar wrote:

First off, the new service will be using hardware that the company already owns.  The only NEW hardware that we purchased are for the two new server clusters that will replace Antonia Bayle and Nagafen. 

<3

Old 07-27-2010, 03:07 PM   #57
kiyokobabygirl

Beckett MOG

Warpax wrote:

so how about a SERVER MERGE for those of us who stick with the original montly sub service?  Cause this is just going to split the already low population on the current servers even more.

Exactly what I was concerned about on the previous page. We already have low populations, how is this going to help CURRENT subscribers on our CURRENT servers.

Old 07-27-2010, 03:07 PM   #58
SmokeJumper

DoD

Both.

Old 07-27-2010, 03:07 PM   #59
Gaige

Loremaster

SmokeJumper wrote:

You said a month ago EQ2 wasn't going F2P.  Why would I believe you now?

SmokeJumper wrote:

Both.

Which is what we were told when LoN launched and again when SC store was launched.  Despite the  SC store basically printing money out of nowhere for SOE in general EQ2 has seen what?  Layoffs, delayed expansions, smaller GUs, less content and outside of the AB/Nagafen servers nothing new hardware wise to combat the terrible 6+ months of lag and crazy zone times we've seen.

I don't discount the past when considering the future, which is something I realize SOE wishes we would all do.

The problem I have believing any of this is the fact we've been told it before and nothing happened.

EQ2x will substantially impact the live server populations, probably leading to players having to go to EQ2x in order to keep playing within a year or less. 

When that happens, you wouldn't have "lied" just like you didn't "lie" about EQ2 going F2P because the live service will no longer exist.

All I'm saying is the last two years SOE has hardly supported its paying subscribers and now with EQ2x they'll have even less incentive to do so.  The more of us you can get on EQ2x the more money you make.

Old 07-27-2010, 03:07 PM   #60
Zaldor

Loremaster

Since no new players will want to start on the regular servers ever again, any chance you can bring back those quests that were removed because they were killing your revenue growth?

Zaldor is offline   Reply With Quote