EQ2 Forum Archive @ EQ2Wire

Go Back   EQ2 Forum Archive @ EQ2Wire > EverQuest II > The Development Corner > Developer Roundtable
Members List Search Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 05-12-2010, 05:09 AM   #1
Rothgar

Developer

Tonight's hotfix introduced a few changes that have been on the test server for a few weeks.  I'd like to hear your feedback to see if any of these performance issues have gotten better after tonight.

First, we made a change to the zoning processes that should hopefully speed it up.  In addition we've extended our logging in this area to help us better troubleshoot long zoning times.  If you're someone who occasionally hits long zoning times, let us know if you see an improvement after tonight.

Second, we've made some changes to the game servers related to the spell system.  This should hopefully improve server lag but the amount can be difficult to quantify.  Let us know how your lag situation looks after tonight.

These are only the first changes to come.  We will continue to look at performance improvements over the next few updates.

Thanks!

Rothgar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2010, 05:22 AM   #2
Avianna
Server: Butcherblock
Guild: Ronin

Loremaster

Rothgar wrote:

Second, we've made some changes to the game servers related to the spell system.  This should hopefully improve server lag but the amount can be difficult to quantify.  Let us know how your lag situation looks after tonight.

How are these spell system changes to affect us? Are these the upcomming macro changes you refered to earlier this year? could you just expand on this a little bit for us please?

Old 05-12-2010, 06:35 AM   #3
Einadin

Loremaster

Sounds good!

Old 05-12-2010, 07:46 AM   #4
Fyzzl

Loremaster

Rothgar wrote:

In addition we've extended our logging in this area to help us better troubleshoot long zoning times. 

Thousands upon thousands of potential extra data writes.  Here is hoping they did this part right  or the logging ALONE will cause incredible amounts of lag.

Fyzzl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2010, 10:34 AM   #5
circusgirl

Loremaster

Rothgar wrote:

This.  More of this.  Long zone times may be unpleasant, but its casting/CA lag that makes it unplayable.

circusgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2010, 03:02 PM   #6
lollipop

Loremaster

Been going ld alot....keeps getting stuck at rcv zone info.

Tho to be fair I am playing 3 toons. Just never had an issue before.

lollipop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2010, 06:51 PM   #7
Rothgar

Developer

[email protected] wrote:

Rothgar wrote:

How are these spell system changes to affect us? Are these the upcomming macro changes you refered to earlier this year? could you just expand on this a little bit for us please?

The changes should not affect you at all.  We didn't change how anything works, we just optimized some code paths.

Old 05-12-2010, 08:25 PM   #8
Sydares

Loremaster

[email protected] Bayle wrote:

This.  More of this.  Long zone times may be unpleasant, but its casting/CA lag that makes it unplayable.

QFE. I would rather take 10 minutes to get into a zone than to have unplayable casting speeds.

Sydares is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2010, 09:48 PM   #9
Foolsfolly

Loremaster

After applying this patch, my hard drive now makes clicking noises every time I zone. The third time I tried to zone EQ2 froze up, and forced my to power cycle my computer. It couldn't boot from the disc...until I went into bios and redefined the boot order. Now I'm up and running again, but scared to play EQ2 again...

Whatever you did, please roll it back immediately!

Foolsfolly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2010, 10:20 PM   #10
Ksaun

Loremaster

Rothgar wrote:

Tonight's hotfix introduced a few changes that have been on the test server for a few weeks.  I'd like to hear your feedback to see if any of these performance issues have gotten better after tonight.

First, we made a change to the zoning processes that should hopefully speed it up.  In addition we've extended our logging in this area to help us better troubleshoot long zoning times.  If you're someone who occasionally hits long zoning times, let us know if you see an improvement after tonight.

These are only the first changes to come.  We will continue to look at performance improvements over the next few updates.

Thanks!

Very noticeable zone time improvement and didn't see anything wrong with casting speeds...ping seems a little higher but not enough to have any effect on performance.

I have to wonder though, was it necessary to take down Neriak on Naggy to get this?

Darklight woods is also buggy as all get out if you try and harvest something it lets you start and then tells you your too busy when the harvest bar is done.

Water interaction animations don't work at all anymore on any setting I can find.

What else did you remove this time?

Ksaun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2010, 10:36 PM   #11
Sydares

Loremaster

Foolsfolly wrote:

After applying this patch, my hard drive now makes clicking noises every time I zone. The third time I tried to zone EQ2 froze up, and forced my to power cycle my computer. It couldn't boot from the disc...until I went into bios and redefined the boot order. Now I'm up and running again, but scared to play EQ2 again...

That's really not going to be a software issue. That sounds more like a failing hard drive. Back up immediately.

Sydares is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2010, 10:54 PM   #12
Avianna
Server: Butcherblock
Guild: Ronin

Loremaster

So far I have noticed some slight improvements to lag and load times but not really enought to go OH WOW that was fast. But perhaps a few milisecs of improvement. But when in long battles and raids those milisecs add up fast so a good improvement.

Thanks Rothgar SMILEY

-Avi

Old 05-13-2010, 12:00 AM   #13
Rothgar

Developer

Foolsfolly wrote:

Simply a coincidence.  There's no possible way our zoning changes would have done that.  These changes were server-side only.  As far as the game client is concerned, everything works 100% the same as before.

Old 05-13-2010, 12:24 AM   #14
Foolsfolly

Loremaster

Yeah, I was able to go back in and finish the night's raids without further issues. I guess the problems were/are local. Sorry for freaking out like that.

Foolsfolly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2010, 12:48 AM   #15
Rocc

Loremaster

My mustang smelled of burning rubber today. I think the hotfix is to blame. Maybe the air conditioner is freezing up and the belt keeps turning. Not sure but it started when this went live last night! Rothgar what did you do to my new car???

Rocc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2010, 01:49 AM   #16
Lader

Loremaster

i know oasis is your special short bus server, but your zoning fix didnt do anything. 10 min zoning into lair of toxx tonight.

Old 05-13-2010, 02:00 AM   #17
Tehom

Loremaster

Could be coincidence, but command/spell lag seemed to be a lot better on Antonia Bayle tonight. It was pretty nice.

Tehom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2010, 02:01 AM   #18
circusgirl

Loremaster

Minimal lag on AB raiding tonight.  Our raidwide parses increased by about 100K without the spell lag.

*hugs for Rothgar!*

circusgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2010, 07:54 AM   #19
Ksaun

Loremaster

[email protected] wrote:

My mustang smelled of burning rubber today. I think the hotfix is to blame. Maybe the air conditioner is freezing up and the belt keeps turning. Not sure but it started when this went live last night! Rothgar what did you do to my new car???

Meh, drive a Ford and thats what you get.

You should really think about buying a good car and stop blaming others for your poor choices. SMILEY

Ksaun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2010, 08:30 AM   #20
Kaarim

Loremaster

Rothgar wrote:

Thanks!

Thanks for the patch Rothgar! Okay this is what me and my raiding guild experienced last night. Zoning was better, still had a few sluggish moments..that was expected..however it is currently better than before and we were able to raid on time. Second the spell lag issue. Again much better...much much better...but there were times there was a slow down again. We raided SF Labs twice last night and experienced the issues multiple times within that instance. Thanks for the update and the team on helping improve this issue..I can assume you all will look more into the code to make it run more flawlessly then it's current upgrade. At least the game from a raiding point to zoning and spell lag..seems to be toning nicely. Good work guys keep it coming! 

Kaarim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2010, 12:20 PM   #21
Anastasie

Loremaster

Zone times into raid zones were still rather long last night. There was also a very noticable amount of spell lag during encounters. It was by far the worst in the room with Xilaxis the Explorer.

Anastasie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2010, 02:23 PM   #22
Rothgar

Developer

If any of you noticed a long zone time, please send me your server and character name and roughly the time that this occurred.  With our new logging in place I should be able to see exactly where the delay was.  Also, make sure that this wasn't due to the fact that you were running the streaming client and zoning into a zone for the first time.  SMILEY

Old 05-13-2010, 03:39 PM   #23
denmom

Loremaster

Location: Paradigm Clutch: Never shift reality without one...

I play on Unrest server.

I didn't have a long zone time, but I was hit with nasty lag suddenly in Odus.

Since getting a new computer, I average 25-32 fps anywhere in game world.  Last night I dropped down to 8 then hit 12 then 18 where it stayed.

This hit about...10:50 pm Wed night, give or take.  We were in Deepwater Pavillion when this lag happened.

My husband has been having a slide show in Nek forest and Nek castle.  He has the same exact rig I do, yet I don't have the slide show.

There's been on and off lag of a few seconds, maybe 2-3, where the whole fight stops then suddenly blips forward and everything I had queued up on my toon had gone off.

The above lag spike and blipping happens at any time and anywhere on the game maps.

Old 05-13-2010, 05:31 PM   #24
Loendar

Loremaster

[email protected] wrote:

I play on Unrest server.

I didn't have a long zone time, but I was hit with nasty lag suddenly in Odus.

Since getting a new computer, I average 25-32 fps anywhere in game world.  Last night I dropped down to 8 then hit 12 then 18 where it stayed.

This hit about...10:50 pm Wed night, give or take.  We were in Deepwater Pavillion when this lag happened.

My husband has been having a slide show in Nek forest and Nek castle.  He has the same exact rig I do, yet I don't have the slide show.

There's been on and off lag of a few seconds, maybe 2-3, where the whole fight stops then suddenly blips forward and everything I had queued up on my toon had gone off.

The above lag spike and blipping happens at any time and anywhere on the game maps.

Hmm - I too was hit by extreme lag (CA's lagging, etc) on Unrest last night - though, unless you are EST time zone our times wouldn't align since it was closer to 8:45pm MST for me. ;p

Oh - and I was in Ravenscale Repository... it seemed to last maybe 15 minutes.

Old 05-14-2010, 07:49 AM   #25
Boli32

Loremaster

Runnyeye Server

Wednesday and Thursday evening 8pm --> 11pm GMT (more pronouced on thursday - and sunday evenings/days can almost be unplayable when its bad.)

Stuck on receiving info for 1-2min per person when zoninign to Lair/Palace/Labs and Qeynos T2 Guildhall.

Pretty much normal since the release of battlegrounds..... getting very tiresome.

Boli32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2010, 08:18 AM   #26
Shade Slayer

Loremaster

Ksaun wrote:

[email protected] wrote:

Meh, drive a Ford and thats what you get.

You should really think about buying a good car and stop blaming others for your poor choices.

I've driven the same Mustang for about 11 years. Fantastic car. Almost 200k miles and still very reliable. Here's to the stang!

Old 05-14-2010, 11:49 AM   #27
Thor71457

Loremaster

May13 2010

8pm est  to 11pm est

server Crushbone

Spell lag was bad North Freeport  ( Was killing Guards ) and SF just running quests

May 14 2010

8am est  to 10am est

server  Crushbone

Moors   Spell Lag again was bad  ( was just doing quests and killing mobs )

Old 05-31-2010, 02:16 PM   #28
Lunaris Illuminare

Loremaster

Rothgar,

I cannot zone into a guild hall without getting the following critical error, "Application ran out of memory when requesting # bytes (limit: 767 MB, current: 767 MB)."  This started the week of the Hotfix.  Prior to, I had no problem running EQ2 at High Quality.  The error ALWAYS happens when Loading entity resources.  Also, starting the game will SOMETIMES produce this error, while zoning back the guildhall from another zone ALWAYS produces this error.  As of Sunday, May 30, 2010 ~ 11:00PM CST I cannot load the game since Lunaris is parked in the guild hall.  Starting in Character Select and loading an alt works fine, so long as the alt is NOT in a guild hall.  I realize my system is not ideal for the beautiful graphics EQ2 is capable of, but the fact the game ran fine and runs fine out of a guild hall is most annoying.  Please, help me resolve this issue I have googled my brains out and need a fix.  This thread seemed most appropriate to post a plea for help.

Pentium4 3.00GHz/1GB RAM/WinXP PRO (32-bit)/ATI Radeon 9800 PRO (128MB)

Lunaris