EQ2 Forum Archive @ EQ2Wire

Go Back   EQ2 Forum Archive @ EQ2Wire > EverQuest II > The Development Corner > Developer Roundtable
Members List Search Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 04-22-2010, 09:16 PM   #61
Wrapye

Loremaster

Took me about a minute to zone into the Trial of the Hua Mein just now.  Not exactly a large or complex zone, and not likely to have too many people in it at once.

Old 04-23-2010, 11:40 AM   #62
Hajji2

Loremaster

Yes, performance has been much improved.  Interesting that since Battlegrounds has been down, zone times are normal.  /hint hint

Hajji2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2010, 12:27 PM   #63
Zoltaroth

Lead Programmer

[email protected] wrote:

Yes, performance has been much improved.  Interesting that since Battlegrounds has been down, zone times are normal.  /hint hint

... Battlegrounds are .. up SMILEY

Zoltaroth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2010, 01:42 PM   #64
Dollin
Server: Unrest
Guild: Vindication

Loremaster

Zoltaroth wrote:

[email protected] wrote:

... Battlegrounds are .. up

Zone times seemed to be ok lastnight after BG's were back up but Spell lag started becoming a big issue with our raid at about 11:30pm EST on Unrest. We were in Labs. It wasn't huge but it was noticable. Could have nothing to do with BG but just letting you know that it was an issue lastnight.

Dollin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2010, 03:36 PM   #65
Chryso

Lord

Also noticed spell lag later in the evening on the eastern side as well.

Chryso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2010, 09:07 PM   #66
threat111

Loremaster

Waiting for Zone server.  5+ mins...  Nagafen fails again.  Please remove the BG's from our server

edit:  looks like Labs (raid zone) is down.  all though i still blame the BG's for it

The above post is most likely cynical, sarcastic, offensive, rude, unnecessary, and informative. I apologize for any information gained from said post. It was meant purely to be cynical, sarcastic, offensive, rude, and unnecessary.
threat111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2010, 09:09 PM   #67
Cerie
Server: Nagafen
Guild: Decay

Loremaster

agree

Cerie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2010, 09:40 PM   #68
Notsovilepriest
Guild: Ill Gotten Gain

Loremaster

The zone and spell lag is and will be there with or without BG's up, Stop blaming them. It was there when they were down, and it's still there now with them up.

Old 04-24-2010, 11:51 PM   #69
Treuw

Lord

***********QUOTE*************

The zone and spell lag is and will be there with or without BG's up, Stop blaming them. It was there when they were down, and it's still there now with them up.

*********END QUOTE***********

Well it's funny that the lag didn't start until you introduced BG. I am not one to readily believe in coincidence.

Rumor has it that the problem is due to the database access, and I suspect THAT was caused by BG, but who knows at this point?? All I know is one thing... It's maybe not a developer's issue but if someone doesn't fix it SOON, a lot of people are going to sit out until it IS fixed, me being one of them. I have already made one account inactive, and plan to do the same with the second one in the next week or so. I just will move all my decent toons to one account, so for me, at least, instead of paying $45 a month to be annoyed almost every raid night, now I will only pay $15 a month for the same aggravation. I have no need to box now that most of my alts are in the endgame too.

If I were a dev I would sure start to worry if more people do the same, because with less money in they will cut jobs

Treuw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2010, 12:03 AM   #70
Notsovilepriest

Loremaster

Treuw wrote:

***********QUOTE*************

*********END QUOTE***********

Well it's funny that the lag didn't start until you introduced BG. I am not one to readily believe in coincidence.

Rumor has it that the problem is due to the database access, and I suspect THAT was caused by BG, but who knows at this point?? All I know is one thing... It's maybe not a developer's issue but if someone doesn't fix it SOON, a lot of people are going to sit out until it IS fixed, me being one of them. I have already made one account inactive, and plan to do the same with the second one in the next week or so. I just will move all my decent toons to one account, so for me, at least, instead of paying $45 a month to be annoyed almost every raid night, now I will only pay $15 a month for the same aggravation. I have no need to box now that most of my alts are in the endgame too.

If I were a dev I would sure start to worry if more people do the same, because with less money in they will cut jobs

Thats funny, Servers like Naggy had this aweful lag way before BGs were even announced. There were nights of 30 min zone times way before BGs. There were nights of 10+ Second CA/Spell Lag. Stop trying to place baseless arguements together without using some logic. again, The Lag and zone times were there before BGs and will be there after.

Old 04-25-2010, 08:13 PM   #71
Treuw

Lord

I can't help what happened on a server that was already underpowered, all I know is on Najena we never had lag like this, and if you read my post, I didn't put specific blame in any one place, I only said if it's not fixed soon, I for one am cutting back, and I hope others do the same to send a message to SOE that this problem should be fixed. It's called "voting with your feet". If you had the problem on Nagafen for a long time now, then all the more reason for them to be aware that people are unhappy about it.

If you choose to stay on a server that has 30 minute zoning lags, then you seem kind of silly if you accept that kind of performance, most people wouldn't like it

Treuw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2010, 08:17 PM   #72
Notsovilepriest

Loremaster

Treuw wrote:

I can't help what happened on a server that was already underpowered, all I know is on Najena we never had lag like this, and if you read my post, I didn't put specific blame in any one place, I only said if it's not fixed soon, I for one am cutting back, and I hope others do the same to send a message to SOE that this problem should be fixed. It's called "voting with your feet". If you had the problem on Nagafen for a long time now, then all the more reason for them to be aware that people are unhappy about it.

If you choose to stay on a server that has 30 minute zoning lags, then you seem kind of silly if you accept that kind of performance, most people wouldn't like it

It wasn't acceptable, don't get me wrong, but its a major Database issue IMO which makes it very ineffecient which in turn causes so much lag. They keep bloating the database with more and more things, but the lingering issue of its ineffeciency is amplifing while doing so. I mean, maybe BGs put strain on it too, but at the same time I feel the DB being over bloated and poorly coded is the major issue.

Old 04-25-2010, 10:20 PM   #73
Malicorp

Loremaster

Been zoning from our North Qeynos Guild Hall into North Qeynos on 2 different characters for over 5 minutes on Najena. "Fix" is still not addressing the problem in all zoning.

Old 04-26-2010, 07:07 AM   #74
g4nd4lf

Loremaster

Whenever an application shows performance issues there is a good chance to solve the problems with a combination of code and database optimization and upgrading/adding server hardware.

But in fact it's very hard to optimize an application on code level that nearly has reached the end of its life cycle with all those additions made over the years by different developers and teams. A few tweaks will help on certain issues, but they won't help with the overall performance in general.

I think it could be a decent strategy to merge some of the game servers with low population and build some new smart server clusters based on fast and modern hardware with lots of CPU-Power, fast RAM and neat stuff like SSD-Disks. Changing the database (version) could be another option, but this normally requires OS- and hardware upgrades too.

The same happened with the client, which was performing very poor when the game was released. 5 years later we have got the hardware running EQ2 in an acceptable way. Now it's about time to [Removed for Content] the servers to match the clients.

Maintaining performance issues seems to eat a good portion of the develepment time atm, which is not good for the advancement and progression of the game in general. Maybe we see a change on that issue with the new producer but in the end it all depends how the SOE management sees the future of the game within the next years.

g4nd4lf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2010, 09:16 AM   #75
Variand

Lord

Yesterday evening, bgs up, again long zoning times 5 or more min and lag too, hot fix crap...

Variand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2010, 11:22 AM   #76
Tenchisama
Server: Mistmoore
Guild: Yoricks Merry Men

Loremaster

observations

noticed some hesitation still when doing certain things - for example

1) when accessing banks there have been a few "pauses" for lack of a better word - noticeable delays of about 2 - 3 seconds but not all the time.  intermittent.

2) receiving zone info screens - intermittent but ZONE consistent delays still being seen between 30secs to 90secs longer than normal - not bad bad but noticeable.  over a 1hr timeframe confirmed relationship to zone - test users on PST timezone as well as EST reporting the same difference in recieving zone info to specific zone - tested zones this weekend when they occurred Tier2 Guildhall Qeynos, Stonebrunt Highlands, and a short event noticed in Nektulos. 

3) slightly noticeable spell lag - this problem is actually VERY mild in our experiences and only noted because of other problem reports.

Overall the zone time experience is MUCH better - but I suspect there are still changes needed.

Tenchisama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2010, 01:49 PM   #77
Zoltaroth

Lead Programmer

[email protected] wrote:

observations

noticed some hesitation still when doing certain things - for example

1) when accessing banks there have been a few "pauses" for lack of a better word - noticeable delays of about 2 - 3 seconds but not all the time.  intermittent.

2) receiving zone info screens - intermittent but ZONE consistent delays still being seen between 30secs to 90secs longer than normal - not bad bad but noticeable.  over a 1hr timeframe confirmed relationship to zone - test users on PST timezone as well as EST reporting the same difference in recieving zone info to specific zone - tested zones this weekend when they occurred Tier2 Guildhall Qeynos, Stonebrunt Highlands, and a short event noticed in Nektulos. 

3) slightly noticeable spell lag - this problem is actually VERY mild in our experiences and only noted because of other problem reports.

Overall the zone time experience is MUCH better - but I suspect there are still changes needed.

We are still making changes.  Some of them should be in the hotfix this week.  There are somethings we can change on the fly and some things that require lots of testing both internally and on test server (and even then we can miss issues).  We are rolling out updates for both zoning and spell lag with every update and will continue to do so.

Old 04-26-2010, 01:51 PM   #78
thecynic315

Loremaster

4/25 9pm eastern Took 10 min + for the raid to zone from Ant guild hall to SF infront of Tox mound, took rais 10+ min to zone into Lair of the Dragon Queen. Had spell lag/general lag in the zone. Took 10 min + to call back to Guild hall. Took 10 min + to zone from Guild hall to Stonebrunt  by Euridin zones. Took 5min+ to zone into Palace of Rohen. Took guild leader 5 min to zone out when he hit wrong button on CoV then 5min to zone back using CoV. Took 5 min to zone back to guild hall at end of night.

Raid called early last night cause it took us longer to zone around then to do anything.

see sig for server info.

Old 04-26-2010, 04:39 PM   #79
Tenchisama

Loremaster

several guilds were sending raid forces to Labs of Paracelsus (whatever) Palace of the Ancient One, Tomb of the Mad Crusader, and the new Palace raid zone.  Mild to moderate lag times were reported during MASS zoning (worst case I heard of was ~5minutes in Receiving zone info)

There has ALWAYS been a problem with in mass zoning - when the guild strategist was introduced we learned quickly to not all hit the guy at the same time.  Usually this slowdown is measured in seconds on average to a minute or two at worst - lately it has been worse.

Another interesting observation is how the guild hall harvest minions seem to be quirky - sometimes they give you a consolidated list of resources snagged (65x 82y 34z) other times you get 15 minutes of 3x 2x 3y 4z 2x spam which can conflict with raid scripts if you are silly enough to do that just before hitting a raid or group zone (example the red text msgs that tell you to do something are on the same timer)

No known reports of toon ghosting that I have heard of in the last few days - that beast seems to be defeated for now.

All reports from - Mistmoore server.  Testers and reporters spread across the US from PST to EST with a few as far as Hawaii and a few more in the UK and even a few Aussies.

Old 04-27-2010, 12:22 AM   #80
Blambil
Guild: Truculent Brew

Loremaster

Nasty problems with the broker today 4/26/2010. Items you drop in a sales display disappear from the mouse and don't show up in the box.. this is new... not sure where they're going.....

Blambil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2010, 10:35 PM   #81
Barx
Server: Antonia Bayle
Guild: Mayhem

Loremaster

Zoning wasn't too bad, but Palace of Roehn Theer is lagging like a SOB tonight for my guild. 1s+ spell lag, very ugly.

Barx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2010, 11:57 PM   #82
Morghus

Loremaster

Honestly, when isnt it lagging in a raid zone? It sure is fun doing hard modes with recurring slow casting effects and interrupts combined with the spell delay that are part of the encounter. This is honestly beginning to be really, really annoying. It's ridiculous that a .25 second casting spell can take around 3 seconds for the server to realize I clicked the button before it starts to cast and then gets interrupted by the many raid mob aoes with interrupts or 'no hostile spells' while casting slower than normal which is also caused by the server side lag.

Morghus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2010, 11:37 PM   #83
Geothe

Loremaster

So. spending more of my raid night looking at "receiving Zone Info" than actually raiding.you actually going to fix this anytime soon? or going to continue letting the game rot away?

Smed: 5) This [LoN] is not some slippery slope towards selling items directly in EQ & EQ II.

Lie #3: Station Cash. Enough Said.

Geothe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2010, 10:56 AM   #84
Tenchisama

Loremaster

Last night I noticed some visible spell lag, confirmed similar experiences with

player from CST time zone in group

guildmate EST time zone

friends in PST and Hawaii.

it was not consistent in behavior as some folks said it came and went - but for me it was pretty much my entire time online last night (albeit not that long only a few hours)

fyi

Old 05-05-2010, 11:07 AM   #85
Rakna
Server: Oasis
Guild: Recon

Loremaster

Last night I was doing the lead-in to Halas quest, I think it's Visions of Valor.  I sprinkled the water on the tree and proceeded to be zoned in.  After 10 Minutes of staring at the zone-in screen, I tabbed out.  Twenty minutes later, I wasn't zoned in, and, on top of that, was worried that if I disconnected, my quest would screw up (it didn't).  After ONE HOUR total, I pulled the plug.  I loaded back into game, sprinkled the water again, and zoned in normally.

Other zones were loading slowly (from my guild hall into the commonlands, for example), but I had never been zoning for an entire hour.

Who knows how long it would have been if I hadn't hit disconnect.

Rakna, Sulik, Penvarien, Razithe, Vecks

Antonia Bayle:

Reixis

Crushbone:

Levit

RES GESTAE:

Judgement (The Interno)

Cave of Caviness

Rome and Her Enemies

Sulik's House
Rakna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2010, 02:55 PM   #86
Darkonx

Loremaster

I've had absolutely no long load times. Whatever was done fixed the problem completely for me. Great work!

Darkonx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2010, 01:24 PM   #87
Tenchisama

Loremaster

Zone times are getting bad again this morning - its been decent last few days (little slow) but this morning we are back to 2 - 5 minute zone times

on Mistmoore confirmed the following zones bad

Large Guild Hall South Qeynos

Commonlands

one friend complained about 12 minute load time for guild hall in South Qeynos

Please check - this early it is unusual for it to be this bad

Old 05-16-2010, 05:14 PM   #88
Arbreth

Loremaster

On AB yesterday I had one character held hostage by the servers twice, once to Commonlands, another to a house in SQ.  Both times I needed a GM to free her.  Another player in my guild lost two toons to the servers trying to get into houses needing GM help.  A third was stuck between another set of zones, the first time he managed to get free after 7 tries, the second time he needed help.  I have heard of other players stating they were stuck out of the game entirely.

Arbreth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2010, 03:41 AM   #89
Zoltaroth

Lead Programmer

[email protected] wrote:

Zone times are getting bad again this morning - its been decent last few days (little slow) but this morning we are back to 2 - 5 minute zone times

on Mistmoore confirmed the following zones bad

Large Guild Hall South Qeynos

Commonlands

one friend complained about 12 minute load time for guild hall in South Qeynos

Please check - this early it is unusual for it to be this bad

Please PM me the character names / approximate times (please include time zones or convert to Pacific) and we will look into it.

Old 03-09-2011, 12:21 PM   #90
hangingout77

Loremaster

The ring war and battle of the gorge are very heavey on the servers, and when you have [Removed for Content] 3 and 4 and sometimes 5 a 10 min fight becomes 45 min since the lag is so great. Each server only has the capablity to do so much we all understand. A way to easy the load of the main servers would be to run a sub server for instances. At any rate something needs to be done about the public quests lag.

hangingout77 is offline   Reply With Quote