EQ2 Forum Archive @ EQ2Wire

Go Back   EQ2 Forum Archive @ EQ2Wire > EverQuest II > The Development Corner > Developer Roundtable
Members List Search Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 02-12-2010, 10:15 PM   #1
Kiara

Community Relations

New producer's letter!!

Please leave your feedback (constructive and polite) here!

Kiara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2010, 10:28 PM   #2
kcirrot

Loremaster

Well, I'm willing to wait for Halas, but I really feel that this Producer's Letter was a little light on what else we can expect over the next couple of months.  As you move into the post-expansion, what can we expect to see on the horizon during the time of Sentinel's Fate.

kcirrot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2010, 10:35 PM   #3
Kiara

Community Relations

kcirrot wrote:

Well, I'm willing to wait for Halas, but I really feel that this Producer's Letter was a little light on what else we can expect over the next couple of months.  As you move into the post-expansion, what can we expect to see on the horizon during the time of Sentinel's Fate.

Let's let the team get through launch first SMILEY  Then we'll push for info about what comes after.

Kiara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2010, 10:39 PM   #4
Dulissa
Server: Antonia Bayle

Loremaster

First of all, my apologies, I didn't see this thread when I posted that other one 

Now to repost what I said there...

A few questions arise.

No mention of Shaders 3.0?

Halas later this year... so GU56 or further now?

Battle Grounds Pre Season. So you are postponing Halas for the expansion and battlegrounds, thats cool. Not having Battle Grounds fully ready and using us payers to test it, not so cool. Personally, I'd delay BG as well until it's fully functioning as well.

I get that you want to make Halas a better experience, and I honestly can't wait for that. However, not having it ready to focus on something else, and then not even having that complete just boggles the mind. 

Dulissa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2010, 10:41 PM   #5
Vonotar
Server: Butcherblock

Loremaster

There are actually five newbie zones when you include Outpost of the Overlord and Queens Colony, these two zones have not had updates in years and make for very very poor new player experiences.

Vonotar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2010, 11:23 PM   #6
Rahatmattata

Loremaster

[email protected] Bayle wrote:

I get that you want to make Halas a better experience, and I honestly can't wait for that. However, not having it ready to focus on something else, and then not even having that complete just boggles the mind.

Please make a better game with a lite staff and never push back release, and I will eagerly pay you 15 dollars a month.

I don't really understand what he said about battlegrounds. What I got from it is it is being delayed but we can somehow still work towards earning PvP gear. That doesn't sound right and I must be interpreting it wrong. All-in-all I am excited about the new expansion, but I will probably be waiting a week after launch to get it. I don't have the money to buy it now, and that will give me a few days to learn about it online before I drop 40? bucks and commit. I also won't be caught up in the first rush and be interrupted by down-time for the first week.

A Cure For Cancer
Rahatmattata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2010, 11:35 PM   #7
ZexisStryfe

Loremaster

Battlegrounds are not being delayed. They are launching on the 16th. Basically Battlegrounds will be broken up into time periods called seasons. Each season will have it own equipment to work towards. This is similar to the way WoW works. Since the players didn't test as much as SoE hoped (considering they gave us like a week, that isn't surprising) instead of jumping into season 1 equipment, there will be a preseason period where the devs can work out all the kinks. Basically you can work towards the new equipment by competing (ie- get the tokens), however you won't be able to buy the goods until season 1 officially starts.

Get it? Got it? Good....

ZexisStryfe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2010, 11:40 PM   #8
NrthnStar5

Loremaster

I would also like to see clarification on the expectancy of Halas.... GU 56 or are we pretty much looking at beyond that?

I really would like word on the status of the 3.0 Shaders. We haven't heard any specifics for quite some time now, and I don't recall even hearing an official notice that it would not launch on the 16th, so I feel this is somewhat in limbo now and some communication would be greatly appreciated. 

NrthnStar5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2010, 11:41 PM   #9
Illmarr

Loremaster

Happy Valentine’s Day All!

Here we are, perched on the precipice of another big launch for our beloved game, EQII.  Next week is a big week for us and for you, the players of this grand game.  You will finally be able to log into the new areas of Odus and explore, level and play in the new area that the team has spent nearly a year putting together.  Characters can now advance to level 90 as adventurers and tradeskillers.  More items, more spells, more AA’s and we hope lots more fun.

As many have noticed, Halas is not going out with the expansion, many have asked why and the reasoning is twofold.  We have three pretty decent starting areas already.  Darklight, Greater Faydark and Timorous Deep.  We know they are not perfect and so the team has done considerable work in reworking those areas, streamlining the progress path to make for a better experience.  We believe that you will find the experience in those zones to be far better than it had been.  So, we went to work on higher level content for this launch, which we have with the expansion content and the new Battlegrounds. 

Ok, as far as streamlined/hand leading the order least to most is GFay/Darklight/TD. Both Darklight and TD are very streamlined. The TD rewards may be 10-15% ish better, but with the speed of leveling you can get by in the revamped Island gear and only notice a slight difference. GFay is much larger and a bit less localized than Darklight and TD. If you think those last two need streamlining I'm almost afraid of the quicksilver speed Halas will have. When you say streamlining the progression path for a better experience and we should find the exp far better than before, please say you're not just boosting the rediculously high experience level even more. With no modifications to any experience sliders you will grey out quests in TD if you do them all. I'm trying not to let my bias against PvP in general overwhelm my thoughts omn Battlegrounds, but your PR handling of the delay of Halas but look..here are Battlegrounds seemed to take much of your customers by surprise since Halas was trumpeted back at FF and Battlegrounds were under the radar until approx. 3 weeks ago.

Additionally we really want new Halas to be something special.  We want more time to polish the area and make sure the progression path is fun and smooth.  We also hope to get kilts in there.  Currently we are looking to have Halas out with the Halas Reborn update later in the year. 

No one with a sane mind would want content sooner and of lesser quality, but with all the build up and let down and delay, make [Removed for Content] sure you deliver on the above statement!

With this release, we are proud to open up the Pre-Season of EQII Battlegrounds.  Three zones will be available, each with a different playstyle.  They will have progression and items and we hope add a whole new element of fun to the game.   Unfortunately we didn’t quite get as many players as we had hoped on the server to give it a proper test, so we are going to use this pre-season phase to iron out any kinks and tweak the balance a bit more beyond the testing phase.  When we are ready, we will begin Season 1 and the mayhem will begin in earnest.  You will be able to work towards the new Chaos Armor during the pre-season, which might be the best looking armor we have added to the game. 

With a game like EQII, it is evergrowing and everchanging, on occasion we find the need to adjust items, spells etc. . . and some mythicals had their power reduced with the release of the expansion.  With each launch, we have to look at the items released previously and decide if they are perhaps too high to encourage players to look for upgrades.  EQII is, at its core, a game driven by itemization.  The constant desire to get the next biggest, baddest piece of gear.   So on occasion we have to make some difficult decisions.  This was one of them.  For those who feel their mythical was devalued, I offer my apologies. 

It's not like the Myth nerf to certain classes was anything new. That's the problem in a nutshell. When the majority of your expansion releases come out with signifigantly altered game mechanics something isn't right. I don't pretend to know the why's of all the changes that the overseers of EQ2 have felt needed to be made...put a personal stamp on things and make it their own. Correct short-sighted decisions made in the rush to meet the deadline of a previous expansion/update? Consolidate stats to ease the workload on already stretched-thin Devs? The speculation can go on and on and I don't expect any kind of a personal answer or anything. I'm the one member of my Guild that has not left at some point since we migrated from EQ1 around KoS launch. I'm not leaving in 4 days, but even a loyal subscriber who always tries to give the benefit of the doubt is questioning what direction is coming from the top.

Next Tuesday is the retail head start, so to get you all ready, we are turning on Bonus XP from now until the servers come down for the update Tuesday morning.   I hope you all login and enjoy.  We look forward to seeing you on the Battlegrounds and running around Odus.  Mostly, we thank you for playing EQII.

LOL I'd love to log in, but my server is locked at the moment. But it gave me the chance to leave you this feedback that I've tried hard to make polite and constructive. Thanks to all the Devs for the hard work they do put in. See you in Odus Tuesday

Illmarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2010, 12:09 AM   #10
obikenkenobi

Loremaster

This was probably one of the most vague producers letters I've ever read, but with the expansion only a few days away, I can understand the brevity.  Not pushing the team (bet they can't wait for a break ) but would love a little clarification on the whole Halas thing and think it would be a good idea to give a loose timeframe on it as so many people have the same question.  Without a doubt can't wait to see Odus.  From what I've seen of it so far it looks amazing and I believe that the eq2 devs deserve a nice round of applause for putting so much effort into such a cool looking expansion (not to mention the lore behind it so far is totally sweet   Also, if Sigra see's this....did you read what he said about the Kilts?!?!?   hehehehehehehehehe

obikenkenobi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2010, 12:38 AM   #11
Hamervelder

Loremaster

As many have noticed, Halas is not going out with the expansion, many have asked why and the reasoning is twofold.  We have three pretty decent starting areas already.  Darklight, Greater Faydark and Timorous Deep.  We know they are not perfect and so the team has done considerable work in reworking those areas, streamlining the progress path to make for a better experience.  We believe that you will find the experience in those zones to be far better than it had been.  So, we went to work on higher level content for this launch, which we have with the expansion content and the new Battlegrounds.

We have three 'decent' starting areas, and two completely horrible starting areas.  Horrible.  The battlegrounds are buggy, incomplete, and not ready for launch.  My constructive feedback here is that you should have left them for later.  I honestly think that they're going to be hot for about two or three weeks, and then when people get tired of the bad experience and the bugginess, they're going to be ghost towns, just like the arena is.

Additionally we really want new Halas to be something special.  We want more time to polish the area and make sure the progression path is fun and smooth.  We also hope to get kilts in there.  Currently we are looking to have Halas out with the Halas Reborn update later in the year.

In all honesty, you should have done this in the first place, rather than lead folks to believe that Halas was coming out with GU55.  In the future, you should also not leave Kiara out to dry like you did with this.  Bruce, you made a mess out of Halas's delay.  Kiara spent a lot of time assuring people that Halas was not being delayed, only to have you say something completely different a couple of days later.  You took away some of her credibility, and some more of your own, by the way that you've handled this delay.

With a game like EQII, it is evergrowing and everchanging, on occasion we find the need to adjust items, spells etc. . . and some mythicals had their power reduced with the release of the expansion.  With each launch, we have to look at the items released previously and decide if they are perhaps too high to encourage players to look for upgrades.  EQII is, at its core, a game driven by itemization.  The constant desire to get the next biggest, baddest piece of gear.   So on occasion we have to make some difficult decisions.  This was one of them.  For those who feel their mythical was devalued, I offer my apologies.

Then you should have nerfed ALL of the mythicals.  What about making the other classes that didn't get nerfed, have to upgrade their gear?  What are classes like wardens supposed to do in the mean time?  Where's the encouragement for the other 20 or so classes to look for upgrades?  There isn't any.  I honestly don't have ANYTHING good to tell you about how I feel about the nerfs that wardens especially have gotten in this expansion.  I'm not really interested in apologies, I'm interested in you listening to your players, and undoing this senseless change.  That would be my feedback:  Start listening to your players again, with regards to the overall direction of the game.  Some of your developers, like Domino and Rothgar, honestly listen and communicate.  How about doing the same for the big picture?

Warden of Mayhem, Antonia Bayle
Hamervelder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2010, 12:45 AM   #12
Lader

Loremaster

you said not enough people are testing the battlegrounds...this tells you something, yes? perhaps you should allocate more resources to your itemization and mechanics departments, since that is where youre having the most trouble.

Old 02-13-2010, 01:14 AM   #13
Arno24

Loremaster

Posted by Brenlo: Unfortunately we didn’t quite get as many players as we had hoped on the server to give it a proper test, so we are going to use this pre-season phase to iron out any kinks and tweak the balance a bit more beyond the testing phase.

Dur? Battlegrounds have been down most nights. Doesn't give us much of a chance to test them SMILEY

Old 02-13-2010, 01:41 AM   #14
Kaalenarc
Guild: Blackhawks

Loremaster

Have to say Im extremely disapointed in both the brevity of the letter and in Brenlo overall as producer. We are what? 15  months into the development cycle of this expansion and again we are told we are getting less than expected. Wasnt the additional SIX MONTHS of development announced at Fan Faire enough time to complete the work?

Go look at the previous producer's communications to the community - they are often lengthy and while not always full of highly detailed information - they at least contain something more than this subpar effort .

Brenlo - with all due respect, while I am sure you are busy with the day to day buisness of running the game's development, it is not too much to ask to have our Producer offer a bit more than this .  177 posts in 6 YEARS? really?

As the game ages - no doubt SOE is allocating fewer resources to it, and I suspect that, more than anything else, is the reason for the delay. But Brenlo - you stood in front of us at Fan Faire and told us the move from November to Feb was to be 100% sure youd be ready and launch it complete and on time. Now you're pushing the city back til "later this year"

Cmon willya? a little more info please.

"Games give you a chance to excel, and if you're playing in good company you don't even mind if you lose because you had the enjoyment of the company during the course of the game." - Gary Gygax

Kaalenarc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2010, 01:56 AM   #15
Hamervelder

Loremaster

Lader wrote:

you said not enough people are testing the battlegrounds...this tells you something, yes? perhaps you should allocate more resources to your itemization and mechanics departments, since that is where youre having the most trouble.

Excellent point, and I'd like to echo this sentiment.

Warden of Mayhem, Antonia Bayle
Hamervelder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2010, 02:13 AM   #16
denmom

Loremaster

Location: Paradigm Clutch: Never shift reality without one...

obikenkenobi wrote:

Also, if Sigra see's this....did you read what he said about the Kilts?!?!?   hehehehehehehehehe

Kilts...

Troll males in regulation...poor short races...I'm glad my Paladin Ratonga has her Frost Horse and my Swash Ratonga has her rhino...

/SHUDDER

Old 02-13-2010, 02:35 AM   #17
Vonotar

Loremaster

Lader wrote:

It may also be an indicator that many are simply not that interested.  Personally I will try them when they are added to live, however as somebody who is more interested in the story than fighting for the sake of fighting, a PvP addition is not exciting enough to make me want to log on Test.

One day the higher management will get a reality check and realise how their playerbase is more diverse than they imagine, however for now they will continue to chase the raid-pvp players at the expense of looking after those of us who are willing to pay $15 a month just to enjoy the world of Norrath.

Old 02-13-2010, 02:58 AM   #18
Gaige

Loremaster

I just wonder what the 3 month delay was for when tons of things were cut, Halas is delayed even more and BGs still aren't tested or ready.

What did you guys do in that additional 3 months?  It wasn't an extra GU, I mean the last GU was barely anything.

Old 02-13-2010, 04:07 AM   #19
Chakos

Loremaster

One day the higher management will get a reality check and realise how their playerbase is more diverse than they imagine, however for now they will continue to chase the raid-pvp players at the expense of looking after those of us who are willing to pay $15 a month just to enjoy the world of Norrath.

Battlegrounds does nothing for the raid-pvp players at all -- try reading the pvp forums, see for yourself. We already have pvp, we don't need / want BGs, by and large. The commenter who mentioned the devs change their focus to the real concerns of the community nailed it on the head.

Chakos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2010, 07:26 AM   #20
Mustang8259

Loremaster

So yah here's some feedback and i'll try really, really hard to be as nice as I can cause I have to say as a veteran of EQII from the start and of EQI before that, and having been in SF beta myself i'm very pessimistic on how this is all gonna play out, but anyway time to pick this apart...

Happy Valentine’s Day All!

Happy Valentines to SOE as well! (i'm not completely heartless although this post is gonna be a bit critical of you guys =P Sorry in advance)

Here we are, perched on the precipice of another big launch for our beloved game, EQII.  Next week is a big week for us and for you, the players of this grand game.  You will finally be able to log into the new areas of Odus and explore, level and play in the new area that the team has spent nearly a year putting together.  Characters can now advance to level 90 as adventurers and tradeskillers.  More items, more spells, more AA’s and we hope lots more fun.

Nearly a year and i'm dumbfounded by the lack of Overland area (and yes I know Odus was never big even in EQI) that you find yourself going through.  I know Kunark is a larger continent to begin with, but trying to keep in the general idea of how smooth progression and leveling was through Kunark I was really expecting something more along the lines of its size and progression with some more group content (which Kunark lacked between Karnor's and Sebilis) added in...  It seems like the greater majority of time was spent on group content, raid area, and the battlegrounds, with less emphasis on actually getting from 80-90, this expo almost gives me the feel of treadmilling similar to the off-expansions (the ones where our adventurer level doesn't increase) like TSO, and less like the spacious expansions we've come to know, where the level caps have increased =/

I have to agree with a prior poster that if you really want to tweak starting areas you need to go back to the Island Outposts for FP and Q rather than making more and messing with the new(er) ones.  I have 24 toons, one of each class, and never have I found a problem with progression through DL, GF, TD, or even the Butcherblock area, why mess with BB?  And it's sad that release was pushed back to get MORE in, and it seems like we're getting LESS out of it...

Is New Halas, not to even mention shaders 3.0, gonna turn into another Kurn's Tower? Where we read its coming with or around the release of the expansion and yet we never see it until a year or so later?

With this release, we are proud to open up the Pre-Season of EQII Battlegrounds.  Three zones will be available, each with a different playstyle.  They will have progression and items and we hope add a whole new element of fun to the game.   Unfortunately we didn’t quite get as many players as we had hoped on the server to give it a proper test, so we are going to use this pre-season phase to iron out any kinks and tweak the balance a bit more beyond the testing phase.  When we are ready, we will begin Season 1 and the mayhem will begin in earnest.  You will be able to work towards the new Chaos Armor during the pre-season, which might be the best looking armor we have added to the game. 

Sorry man, this "Pre-season" to me sounds more along the lines of "Sorry we didn't get it fully tested" and now we expect you to PAY to test our new stuff out for us till we get it right and "iron out any kinks and tweak the balance".  Not to mention AGAIN that this expansion should be more about the leveling and should have left the new AA, Battleground, etc. things for the NEXT expansion where we won't see a level increase (assuming things go along their current routine of course) and just more treadmilling. Not to mention by adding PvP into the non-PvP servers in this way means that the team now has even more to do on a regular basis by having to worry about class balance for both PvE and PvP.  PvP class balance was only really scrutinized by the PvP serves (obviously) before, now you're handing every player that even wants to try it on a normal server a microscope to try and find problems with their class, and I garuntee you most will... 

Next Tuesday is the retail head start, so to get you all ready, we are turning on Bonus XP from now until the servers come down for the update Tuesday morning.   I hope you all login and enjoy.  We look forward to seeing you on the Battlegrounds and running around Odus.  Mostly, we thank you for playing EQII.

Alan “Brenlo” Crosby

Senior Producer EQII

I just hope you guys have a LOT of servers ready to go with Odus instances with these areas seeming so small it looks to me like everyone is gonna be on top of eachother trying to get through the same questlines and such...  And sorry to beat an undead horse but I still haven't seen a red-name mention ANYTHING about the removal of the ability to do grey-shard runs, firgured it woulda been mentioned here somewhere, or is it something SOE hopes we'll just not notice and it'll blow over...

Overall I think the priorities of this expansion were sadly misplaced, Battlgrounds would have been an awesome feature for the NEXT expansion with no level-cap increase. A lackluster attempt at maintaing a solo/duo-able "timeline" to use an EQ2i phrase,  And many, many more dungeons to run over and over and over again which seems to be the "new" way to hit the next level cap.

As for positive comments, Cudos to the AMAZING art depratment, you guys really made everything look phenomenal AGAIN just like you have for every expansion (and doubly kudos for the new armor/weapon models), and especially to Domino for doing (another) fantastic job with the crafting!  My poor carpenter won't know where to start lol.  And the whole team does deserve a round of applause for making everything fit as well as it does, even if I don't agree with everything or see eye to eye on what time was spent on, it's just my point of view perhaps...

P.S: As a side-note I agree whole-heartedly with Elhonas... Shame on you Brenlo for leaving your Community Manager out to dry like that while she reassured us New Halas was coming, you owe her a personal apology as far as I see it =/  And the rest of your loyal fan-base some better communication with both us AND her, obviously someone got left out of "the loop" somewhere along here...

Old 02-13-2010, 08:47 AM   #21
Kerrserk

General

bah, nothing about shader 3.0, feels like SOE have scrapped the project

Old 02-13-2010, 08:52 AM   #22
Wingrider01

Loremaster

"

With this release, we are proud to open up the Pre-Season of EQII Battlegrounds.  Three zones will be available, each with a different playstyle.  They will have progression and items and we hope add a whole new element of fun to the game.   Unfortunately we didn’t quite get as many players as we had hoped on the server to give it a proper test, so we are going to use this pre-season phase to iron out any kinks and tweak the balance a bit more beyond the testing phase.  When we are ready, we will begin Season 1 and the mayhem will begin in earnest.  You will be able to work towards the new Chaos Armor during the pre-season, which might be the best looking armor we have added to the game. "

Ok, these two highlighted phrases pretty much indicate that PVP will now affect the pve environment in multiple facets - at this point it appears it is time to leave the game.

Maybe you did not get many people because the majority of players in the pve environment have 0 desire to have anything to do with PVP. Here is to hoping it falls flat on it's face

Yes Jim, the user has experienced the dreaded PICNIC error

Wingrider01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2010, 09:22 AM   #23
Spryt

Loremaster

With a game like EQII, it is evergrowing and everchanging, on occasion we find the need to adjust items, spells etc. . . and some mythicals had their power reduced with the release of the expansion. With each launch, we have to look at the items released previously and decide if they are perhaps too high to encourage players to look for upgrades. EQII is, at its core, a game driven by itemization. The constant desire to get the next biggest, baddest piece of gear. So on occasion we have to make some difficult decisions. This was one of them. For those who feel their mythical was devalued, I offer my apologies.

OK I understand some things need balancing to make room for new gear. Why add gear in a new expansion that sky rockets things so much you have to nerf them later? Do you not plan ahead? Is the current expansion always considered to be the last?

Players want to see progression in a new expansion. Reducing current gear to make players "want" new gear is not the kind of progression most people enjoy.

Easy way to have to stop making the same apologies every new expansion is to think ahead. If a item can't really get upgraded later (Najena ring example) then don't add it to the game.

Regarding mythicals, if they are being made into spells anyway they won't be in the main hand slot so looking for a upgrade will be inevitable. Why would anyone want to use a old weapon if they could still keep the effects and use something else? So imo you are not reducing a piece of gear any more,  you are reducing a class specific skill. Are the classes getting this reduction getting something to compensate in the way of new AA? I can only speak for illusionist and that is a definite no. So what will I need to do to get back the same standard as before? I want progression not going back 2 expansions to some kind of pre myth state.

Spryt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2010, 09:58 AM   #24
kartikeya

Loremaster

I worry about the 'later this year' as it refers to Halas. The realization that I'd have to wait until May was disappointing enough, but this suggests it may come even later, or worse, be backburnered until further notice. Being as Halas was, admittedly, the thing I was most looking forward to when it came to expansion release, this makes me frown (my ranger needs a house!).

The biggest thing that bothers me about the new delays is how all of this longer development time was meant to make sure things were finished and put out on time, and yet it seems as though these have only led to more and more delays of promised content. Three months is a very long time to wait for significant updates. This beta was extraordinarily behind schedule in almost everything, which has surely led to long, long  hours for the development team. I get the impression that there are a lot of messes the team is struggling to keep up with, and I know there were some, ahem, untimely departures, so I can't lay complete blame at the feet of folks currently on board the project, but I do have to say it does worry me a great deal.

I'm also disappointed not to hear anything about shader 3.0. I saw it briefly when I somehow accidentally got it to turn on, on beta, and the bits that weren't bugging out were absolutely gorgeous. Please don't let this be another scrapped project. Please don't toss things like this, significant game upgrades, into a bin in favor of the newest flavor of the month project like Battlegrounds.

The current timeline planning really seems to be suffering from a bit of ADHD, with how fast attention seems to leap from one promised project to the next, without finishing the first. Delays suggest budget cuts, and yet with every delay there seems to be a new thing promised, which strikes me as a very, very bad way to deal with a lack of funding. After all, how many man-hours were spent on the now entirely scrapped new skeletal system? That was something that was being promised for years. Sarnak were even supposedly built with it in mind. That's all money down the drain now. You really need to finish stuff before you start up new stuff. Player retention is important, and so is player word-of-mouth, as it's more likely to bring you customers than some shiny new PVP system only available to end game which most people outside of EQ2 will never hear about and many people INSIDE EQ2 don't care about. Friends of EQ2 players WILL hear about constant delays and empty promises, however. Hindsight and all, but introducing Battlegrounds at this point in time over Halas was a bad, bad idea, no matter how nifty Battlegrounds may or may not turn out to be.

Old 02-13-2010, 12:07 PM   #25
swampthing

Loremaster

perhaps you didn't get enough players testing your battlegrounds because eq2 players don't care about battlegrounds?  I left wow due to the constant balancing and rebalancing of classes due to pvp.  It got sickening to have a good class one day, the next day being a complete [Removed for Content].  And now i have that to look forward to in EQ.  Be totally honest with you, the first nerf any of my classes take for PVP and i'm hitting the cancel button.

You guys really need to learn why people play your game and realize that duplicating wow features isn't going to bring you wow players.  Make your own game and if it's good people will play it, but copying another one that's successful isn't going to bring that success here.

You guys REALLY need to update on SM3.0.  It was delayed numerous times and the last announcement was that it was delayed to launch with the expansion and it's gettting convienently ignored.

swampthing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2010, 12:38 PM   #26
Seolta

Loremaster

I'm trying hard to be nice.

I'm just gonna make one suggestion:

Please top communicating with us in cutesy PR speak and give us details. 

That is all.

Old 02-13-2010, 04:28 PM   #27
Anurra
Server: Permafrost

Loremaster

I am very disappointed by this letter. You have been given ample time to make sure you were able to deliver on the items stated back at the FF. Most of them have not materialized, and I doubt they will. The majority of this can be placed directly on you.

I can't rant for pages on pages about this, so I'll just keep it short with what I have said above.

Anurra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2010, 06:44 PM   #28
steelbadger

Loremaster

Kiara wrote:

kcirrot wrote:

Let's let the team get through launch first   Then we'll push for info about what comes after.

You mean to say that you don't even have a road-map for future development?  Even to the level of a hastily scrawled note in someone's desk drawer with things like:

Rangers------>OP-------->nerf

Fairies------->UP-------->Buff--------->Cutseycute Immunity to Incoming Damage?

Slated Additional Raid Content-------->Too much work-------->Don't bother.

No? 

steelbadger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2010, 07:11 PM   #29
ShinGoku

Loremaster

I'm not going to rant and rage about anything to be honest, I said at the time I thought battlegrounds were a lame idea and they are IMO.

There aren't a shortage of players testing them, there are a shortage of players who care about them.

I will never understand how the 2 official pvp servers get merged due to lack of players and then they put in a feature that is all about the pvp.  /boggles.

ShinGoku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2010, 07:30 PM   #30
Vonotar

Loremaster

Chakos wrote:

Battlegrounds does nothing for the raid-pvp players at all -- try reading the pvp forums, see for yourself. We already have pvp, we don't need / want BGs, by and large. The commenter who mentioned the devs change their focus to the real concerns of the community nailed it on the head.

I don't mean they are chasing existing players, that isn't Sony's way, I mean they are coming out with yet another thing to attempt to pull in the raid/pvp players from that other mmo.

Honestly, they should look at their playerbase and find out why we are here instead of playing other mmo's.  Then build on what makes EQ2 different.