EQ2 Forum Archive @ EQ2Wire

Go Back   EQ2 Forum Archive @ EQ2Wire > EverQuest II > The Development Corner > Developer Roundtable
Members List Search Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 06-30-2009, 04:25 PM   #31
feldon30

Fansite Staff

The issue is they don't want folks to login and have 200 of the 500 achievements already.
feldon30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2009, 04:37 PM   #32
Rashaak

Loremaster

Rothgar wrote:

The major questions I'm seeing so far are related to rewards and if the achievements will be retroactive.

Rewards

As far as rewards, please don't get hung up on them and if they'll be game-breaking or not.  We plan on giving rewards for achievements very sparingly.  The main reward of the achievement is the completion of the task.  We already have a quest system that is designed to reward you for specific deeds.  The achievement system is there to track the types of things you'd be doing anyway, like completing quests, killing mobs, clearing zones, etc.  So the reward *IS* is the achievement and the points you earn towards your total. 

Now, with that disclaimer out of the way, some achievements will offer you rewards.  And yes, some of them will be titles.  Whether you find titles pointless or not is up to you.  Some people like them and they are a nice way to show off something you've done.  However, some achievements might be appropriate for rewarding something else, especially if the achievement is difficult to complete.  You can most likely expect those rewards to be things such as house items and maybe appearance armor or fluff spells/pets.

Will achievements be retroactive?

Achievements will only be retroactive if you would otherwise not be able to complete that achievement.  So for example, all achievements related to quests will be retroactive because you cannot complete those quests again.  Slayer quests that are converted to achievements will also be retroactive because we're already tracking that data and we don't want you to lose your progress.  However, exploration events, boss mob kills, etc will require that you do them again.

How can you see the list of achievements?

The quest journal will have a new achievements tab that will display all achievements (completed and not completed) by category.  You will also be able to see your progress towards each achievement.  In addition, we are modifying the inspection window so you'll be able to see the achievements of other players when you inspect them.

Will you be doing a reset like when you released KoS and reset everyone to where they can rediscover lands they've already been in...not for AA, but for these Achievements?

Rashaak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2009, 04:39 PM   #33
Gortha

General

I like the idea, but as an avid explorer, I find it rather annoying to have to go back to every single location I've ever been to AGAIN for credit - I hope there is a list of every "dingable" location somewhere...thats a TON of grey zones to revisit.

I'll do it, but its annoying

Gortha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2009, 04:47 PM   #34
Deson

Loremaster

Whoa! You updated the OP! Thank you!
I will not let Domino break my doom and gloom. I will not let Domino break my doom and gloom.I will not let Domino break my doom and gloom.I will not let Domino break my doom and gloom.I will not let Domino break...
Deson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2009, 05:07 PM   #35
Xalmat

EQ2Achieve.com

Rashaak wrote:

Will you be doing a reset like when you released KoS and reset everyone to where they can rediscover lands they've already been in...not for AA, but for these Achievements?

They basically said Yes to this question.

Sess, Conjuror of PermafrostCyanide, Berserker of Permafrost
Xalmat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2009, 05:14 PM   #36
Rothgar

Developer

BCasto21 wrote:

Rothgar wrote:

... However, exploration events, boss mob kills, etc will require that you do them again.

Why is this exactly?  You know exactly which names we have killed and which locations we have visited as long as we have done them since the Achievement Alternate Advancement System was implemented. 

Because the point of the system is to give people something to go back and do.  Our intent is not to have you ding 400+ achievements on the day it comes out and then say "Ok, that was cool, now I'm bored again."

Rothgar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2009, 05:16 PM   #37
Bloodfa
Server: Nagafen

General

It's funny, but I see this as being more disruptive than anything remotely positive.  Went through it with BF2.  Went through it with BF2142.  Went through it with Left 4 Dead.  Call of Duty World at War and CoD4 Modern Warfare.  Got most of the bling, yay.  Also watched more rounds, more matches, wasted and lost because some schmuck needed to farm another 35 knife kills so he spawn-camped the revives, or teamkilled people waiting for aircraft (the FPS equivalent of cutting in line and flipping off everybody else), or would run in front of somebody else to get them kicked for teamkilling if they were in the vehicle desired.  Disruptive gameplay, with the goal being focused on the badge or promotion instead of the win.  Did any of you raiders ever play these games?  If so, did you not see this sort of disruptive gameplay?  I'm on Nagafen, where you kill the guy camping the named and then take it while they watch from the corpse view, to see what sort of loot you got.  We're kind of used to it.  However I don't see it as being a particularly positive thing for a blue server.  Instead, lots and lots of /petitions will be flowing for 'disruption of the zone'.  But hey, I could be wrong.  It's not like there's any pattern of people willing to act like a tool over personal accolades in a video game.  

Bloodfa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2009, 05:18 PM   #38
thecynic315

Loremaster

Will this system replace the Slayer Stats system? If it does is there a way that the Slayer Stat Guild Hall amenity could be changed to show the Achivements/Badges/Thingys that everyone in the guild has earned?

It seems like the Slayer Stats and the titles from HQs would be moved into this system along with things like the hidden titles from the Erollis day quest. Sounds like a fun new fluff system.

Old 06-30-2009, 05:19 PM   #39
Alienor

Loremaster

Still would like to see the bounty list (list of already killed/missing nameds)

Beside that I think it is a neat thing, surely not the one I am missing most, but certainly something good and for rounding up the already good experience. I like the idea.

Alienor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2009, 05:19 PM   #40
ArivenGemini

Loremaster

Rothgar wrote:

The quest journal will have a new achievements tab that will display all achievements (completed and not completed) by category.  You will also be able to see your progress towards each achievement.  In addition, we are modifying the inspection window so you'll be able to see the achievements of other players when you inspect them.

Please give me the option to not show this on examine.

Also, please give me the option to not announce to other players when I get an achievement.

Old 06-30-2009, 05:23 PM   #41
ArivenGemini

Loremaster

Gorthaur wrote:

I like the idea, but as an avid explorer, I find it rather annoying to have to go back to every single location I've ever been to AGAIN for credit - I hope there is a list of every "dingable" location somewhere...thats a TON of grey zones to revisit.

I'll do it, but its annoying

I wouldnt mind going back if they reset the discovery for those areas and I could get the XP again SMILEY

Old 06-30-2009, 05:24 PM   #42
Rothgar

Developer

Xalmat wrote:

Rashaak wrote:

They basically said Yes to this question.

There is no reset required.  The server knows whenever you enter a trigger volume.  The only difference is that you only get "AA XP" for it the first time you enter.  Each subsequent time you enter, you still get the yellow on-screen message informing you that you just entered the area.

When the achievement system goes live, you'll need to enter the area again to update the achievement.  But you should not be earning "AA XP" for it a second time if you've already been there.

We are aware that there will be more than a few people that don't like the idea of going back and killing a mob again, or exploring an area again.  Unfortunately this is one of those situations where no matter how we decide to do it, someone will prefer it the other way.  We think that most people will have no problems doing those again since everyone will be on an equal playing field when the system launches.  It gives new players a chance to compete with the veteran players in most areas except for retroactive achievements.  So you vets with 3000+ quests will still have a big jumpstart.  SMILEY  And for those of you that might be starting to get a little bored, this is another area of progression that can be very rewarding. 

I know that personally, achievements on Xbox Live often keep me playing a game much longer than I normally would (and enjoying it).  If you enjoy playing EverQuest II and seeing those old zones, this system can give you another feeling of accomplishment and something fun you can do with your friends.  I certainly look forward to grouping with my guildmates, mentoring down and going back to complete some of the old dungeons again.

Blackburrow here I come!  SMILEY

Old 06-30-2009, 05:29 PM   #43
Kordran

Loremaster

ArivenGemini wrote:

Rothgar wrote:

Also, please give me the option to not announce to other players when I get an achievement.

Just out of curiousity, why? I don't see this being any more "sensitive" than what your current stats, health, power and resists are, and what gear you're wearing. So everyone sees that you've mindlessly slaughtered 10,000 brownies... how does that impact your gameplay in any fashion?

Old 06-30-2009, 05:32 PM   #44
Rothgar

Developer

ArivenGemini wrote:

Rothgar wrote:

I'll certainly add an option to hide YOUR achievements when someone inspects you, but not the other way around.  Achievements are on their own tab, so if you don't want to see them when you inspect someone, just don't click the tab.

As far as the announcements, its really just a chat message to those in your vicinity and a guild event.

Old 06-30-2009, 05:32 PM   #45
ke'la

Loremaster

Noaani wrote:

Deson wrote:

Dig it as long as the rewards stay fluff.

Since it is a representation of a players actions in game, and is only able to be completed once, assuming appropriate tasks are required I see no issue with providing a real reward.

I mean, clearing PoF with no deaths for the first time on a toon is an appropriate task for having a spell upgraded to master level, imo.

It tracks it on a Per account basis and unlocks the reward for every toon on the account, so I would rather it stay fluff or atleast fluffish.

That is also what Rothgar really wants, cause players kept pushing him for some small bonus for larger achivments but he kept saying he doesn't want it to be a major thing, or something you would be virually required to do... and this was to a question asking if we say killed like 20k spiders could we get like +250 to poision.

ke'la is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2009, 05:41 PM   #46
Araxes

Loremaster

Rothgar,

I would like to see an achievement for X Number of Hours Played on any given character (you guys can set the levels at which new things would be granted).  I think many other veteran players would enjoy this, too.

Not the generic "days" that is tracked in the Persona -- but actual hours logged in and played by that character.

Yes, I know that those who pay for EQ2players can see this information (albeit rarely updated) ...

... but it would be pretty cool to actually be rewarded as a literal "long-time" player with some form of in-game coolness that OTHER players can see to know you're dedicated.

And also, I have a question.

Araxes has slain over 110,000 NPC's.   Can there be an achievement notice for the 100k mark, please?    And don't you dare tell me I have to slay 100,000 all over again! 

Ara

Old 06-30-2009, 05:41 PM   #47
Xalmat

EQ2Achieve.com

Are you guys taking ideas on what achievements we'd like to see? I have a few hundred ideas, some of them ranging from really easy to rediculously evil.

Old 06-30-2009, 05:46 PM   #48
Sharakari
Server: Unrest
Guild: Shadovar

Loremaster

I love the idea.  I may have missed it but is this something that you expect to come out with the xpac in Feb or with a GU between now and then?  I need to know how fast I need to get to the 4000 quest mark! 

I also like the idea of house/fluff items and not awards that would affect gameplay in any way.  Just my preference so no need to flame.  I also love the idea that someone made about making Stations Cash or LoN loot as some of the rewards.

If possible, it would be great to start officially soliciting ideas for the Achievements.  I've seen some unique ideas that I love and hate.  Getting some early feedback on your initial ideas might prove helpful.

Old 06-30-2009, 05:46 PM   #49
ke'la

Loremaster

ArivenGemini wrote:

Rothgar wrote:

This was asked for in the panel that they anounced it in, and I think they are going to look into adding that option.

This option also makes sence, if you don't want it in exsamine why would you want others to hear you get it...that said being able to turn this off might be a harder thing to do.

ke'la is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2009, 05:52 PM   #50
Rothgar

Developer

Xalmat wrote:

Are you guys taking ideas on what achievements we'd like to see? I have a few hundred ideas, some of them ranging from really easy to rediculously evil.

Certainly.  We have a pretty big list already that we're trying to whittle down, but we're always looking for more ideas for "fun" achievements as well.

If you're going to suggest some achievements, please follow these guidelines to make them easy for us to spot later on.

Limit the text to 1 line per achievement and put them in a bulleted list.  Use a light-blue color to separate them from the rest of your text.  For Example:

• Kill 10,000 gnolls
  • Complete every 'daily double' mission in The Shadow Odyssey.
  • Craft 10,000 items
Old 06-30-2009, 05:56 PM   #51
Sharakari

Loremaster

Removed post because I didn't want to start a trend with questioning each persons ideas because they are just that..... ideas/suggestions.

Old 06-30-2009, 06:00 PM   #52
Sharakari

Loremaster

Rothgar wrote:

Xalmat wrote:

Certainly.  We have a pretty big list already that we're trying to whittle down, but we're always looking for more ideas for "fun" achievements as well.

If you're going to suggest some achievements, please follow these guidelines to make them easy for us to spot later on.

Limit the text to 1 line per achievement and put them in a bulleted list.  Use a light-blue color to separate them from the rest of your text.  For Example:

• Kill 10,000 gnolls
  • Complete every 'daily double' mission in The Shadow Odyssey.
  • Craft 10,000 items

This thread is going to get real big, real fast! 

Old 06-30-2009, 06:05 PM   #53
Sharakari

Loremaster

Was wondering if the Achievement system could be taken one step further to "Guild Achievements"?  Like raid zones cleared, raid mobs killed, avatars killed, trophies collected, total rares harvested, total items crafted....... things like that (and many of them already tracked).  And the reward might be some cool banner or trophy for the guild hall... or an additional amenity.... or something..... just thinking out loud here.

Old 06-30-2009, 06:07 PM   #54
Maroger

Loremaster

Rothgar wrote:

BCasto21 wrote:

Rothgar wrote:

... However, exploration events, boss mob kills, etc will require that you do them again.

Why is this exactly?  You know exactly which names we have killed and which locations we have visited as long as we have done them since the Achievement Alternate Advancement System was implemented. 

Because the point of the system is to give people something to go back and do.  Our intent is not to have you ding 400+ achievements on the day it comes out and then say "Ok, that was cool, now I'm bored again."

GOING FORWARD - WILL NEW EXPLORATIONS GIVE AAXP??????

Maroger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2009, 06:08 PM   #55
Yimway

Loremaster

Rothgar wrote:

Rewards

As far as rewards, please don't get hung up on them and if they'll be game-breaking or not.  We plan on giving rewards for achievements very sparingly.  The main reward of the achievement is the completion of the task.  We already have a quest system that is designed to reward you for specific deeds.  The achievement system is there to track the types of things you'd be doing anyway, like completing quests, killing mobs, clearing zones, etc.  So the reward *IS* is the achievement and the points you earn towards your total. 

Now, with that disclaimer out of the way, some achievements will offer you rewards.  And yes, some of them will be titles.  Whether you find titles pointless or not is up to you.  Some people like them and they are a nice way to show off something you've done.  However, some achievements might be appropriate for rewarding something else, especially if the achievement is difficult to complete.  You can most likely expect those rewards to be things such as house items and maybe appearance armor or fluff spells/pets.

I would suggest you do some research in LOTRO and see how such a system can have real, useful, desired rewards and not be game breaking.

Adding a fluff meter to track my fluff isn't so exciting.

Old 06-30-2009, 06:12 PM   #56
ArivenGemini

Loremaster

Rothgar wrote:

ArivenGemini wrote:

Rothgar wrote:

I'll certainly add an option to hide YOUR achievements when someone inspects you, but not the other way around.  Achievements are on their own tab, so if you don't want to see them when you inspect someone, just don't click the tab.

As far as the announcements, its really just a chat message to those in your vicinity and a guild event.

Yeah, I meant hide -my- achievements on inspect.   If I dont want to see something that I have to make an effort to see, I don't mind not making the effort SMILEY

If it is a guild event, I -definately- would love the option to disable it, knowing of course that it most likely would also get disabled if I turned off guild events entirely makes me ask for more granularity of what does get piped to the guild event notification system, but thats an entirely different kettle of fish.

Sometimes, being antisocial as I can get, I dont -want- to broadcast what I am doing to every joe roleplayer.. but I am more willing to have selective things pass through into the system rather than others...

SMILEY

Old 06-30-2009, 06:22 PM   #57
Eriol

Loremaster

Well I'm definitely in the "please give us all of what we've already done" from the AA standpoint at the least.  Your system knows which locations I've explored, and mobs killed.  And with MANY of those mobs, I will never kill them again either (most raid mobs, as I'm no longer a raider).  Sure having my claymore on display shows that I've killed Tarinax, but I'd like that Achievement too.  The same goes for location updates, as then I can actually go and get what I haven't already.  So I'm definitely on the "give us everything we already deserve" standpoint, since it's WAY less fun to go over what you've already done than to try and complete the last few parts of something already mostly-done in terms of exploration.

Eriol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2009, 06:33 PM   #58
Rashaak

Loremaster

Some ideas:

• Has 5, 6, 7 characters at level 50, 60, 70, etc
  • Highest hitpoint loss after taking falling damage
  • Flirted with 1000 NPC's
  • Joined X amount of guilds
  • Betrayed X amount

SMILEY

Rashaak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2009, 06:33 PM   #59
Xalmat

EQ2Achieve.com

Some of the obvious ones, ranging from easy to hard:

• Adventure Levels
  • Artisan Levels
  • Tinkering Levels
  • Transmuting Levels
  • Complete Prismatic Quest
  • Complete the Bloodline Chronicles Quest Series
  • Complete the Splitpaw Saga Quest Series
  • Complete Peacock Quest Series
  • Complete Qeynos Claymore Series
  • Complete Sword of Destiny Series
  • Complete Fabled Epic Quest (one class)
  • Complete Mythical Epic Quest (one class)
  • Complete The Shadow Odyssey Series
  • Complete the Earring of the Solstice
  • Complete "The Secret of the Stone" quest series
  • Kill Boss Mobs in dungeons
  • Kill Raid Boss Mobs
  • Kill Contested Raid Bosses
  • Finish every Lore and Legend quest
  • Finish every Catalog quest
  • Finish every Heritage quest
  • Complete a Deity Quest series
  • Learn every language
  • Max city writ faction in one city (The Qeynos Guard, The Concordium, The Freeport Militia, etc)
  • Rescue Najena in the Ward of Elements
  • Complete "Hook, Line, and... Anchor?" quest
  • Max your Alcohol Tolerance
  • Complete an armor set (EoF Legendary, EoF Fabled, RoK Legendary, RoK Fabled, TSO T3, TSO T4)
  • Harvest one of every tradeskill rare
  • Win the Gigglegibber Goblin Gamblin' Game jackpot!

Limited/seasonal ones:

• Participate in Erollisi Marr Day quests
  • Participate in Brew Day quests
  • Participate in Bristlebane Day quests
  • Participate in Nights of the Dead quests
  • Participate in Frostfell quests
  • Participate in other holiday quests (I know I'm forgetting some)
  • Participate in the moonlight enchantment (mushroom) monthly events
  • Participate in Tinkerfest (when it goes live)

Very limited ones, would have to be retroactive:

• Completed old betrayal quest.
  • Completed old class Hallmark quests
  • Unlocked Frogloks in 2005
  • Helped complete the Griffon Towers in Thundering Steppes and Nektulos Forest
  • Constructed the Ulteran Spires
  • Defeated the Ulteran Spire dragons
  • Helped construct Guild Halls
  • Participated in the "Return of the Gods" quests just prior to EoF
  • Participated in the world events leading up to The Shadow Odyssey
  • Participated in the D.I.R.T.Y. events
  • Loot an artifact weapon, armor, or item

Some evil ones. You would have to be a major masochist to finish these:

• Reach max level artisan for every artisan class...on the same character!
  • Have every tradeskill epic cloak...on the same character! (Is this possible? I can't remember)
  • Complete both Mythicals for your class...on the same character! (ie: Complete Necromancer and Conjuror Mythical on the same character)
  • Every spell in your spellbook is Master rank or better. Can divide up by tiers.
  • Complete every deity quest line...on the same character!
  • Max every city writ faction...on the same character!
  • Reach +50,000 natural faction to Clan Brokenskull
  • Reach +50,000 natural faction to The Sandscrawlers
  • Complete every collection quest (excluding collections that no longer drop)
  • Kill every city guard in Qeynos, Freeport, Neriak, Gorowyn, Kelethin, New Halas, and The Village of Shin
  • Reach +50,000 faction with each Deity...on the same character! (Does not have to be at the same time)
  • Become a citizen of every city...on the same character!
  • Reach max level adventurer, artisan, and max AAs with 5 characters on the same account!
  • Kill 50,000 player race NPCs.
  • Kill 50,000 halflings (a separate achievement than the above)
  • Earn 100 million status points across all characters on your account
  • Harvest 10, 100, and 1000 of every tradeskill rare!
  • Be killed by a crafting device
  • Be killed by a treasure chest
  • Reach 200 AAs...at level 10!

Old 06-30-2009, 06:34 PM   #60
Xalmat

EQ2Achieve.com

I believe they said there would not be Guild Achievements, simply because guilds are currently tied to players and aren't treated as separate entities. If things change as far as guilds go, they would consider it.