EQ2 Forum Archive @ EQ2Wire

Go Back   EQ2 Forum Archive @ EQ2Wire > EverQuest II > The Development Corner > Developer Roundtable
Members List Search Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 02-09-2009, 07:50 PM   #1
Rothgar

Developer

If you're still experiencing a crash that you suspect occurs when casting a single or group ward, please respond with as much information as possible.

At a minimum I need to know:

Character NameServerZoneDate and Time (As accurate as possible)

If on the other hand you were experiencing this problem but it seems to have gone away, please let me know.

Rothgar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2009, 08:09 AM   #2
Verrie77

Loremaster

Character Name : VelinaServer: SplitpawZone: Can be any zone in the gameTime (As accurate as possible): Usually evenings, cause thats when you play most.

I have tried for about 1 week now to NOT have The Arm of Erollisi equiped.And I havnt crashed 1 single time.I started out by restarting my PC just befoer the raid would start...and thought it might have an impact.Later I tested to just let the PC be and not restart. I still didnt crash.* touch wood* Im hoping i will stay this way.

Old 02-10-2009, 02:43 PM   #3
Malacha

General

Not sure if its related to ward casting, but crashed last night during Xebnok, but my whole raid crashed. Not sure if anyone else had a client crash or they just crashed to char select/desktop, but I did have a client error, so you might as well look =)

Char Name: Maelani

Server: Unrest

Zone: Tomb of the Mad Crusader

Time: 6:39pm PST... or thereabouts =P

This was the first time I've experienced client crashing when casting.

Maewyn | Maelya | Alania | Maehymn | Maelani (Account Canceled)
Malacha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2009, 03:34 PM   #4
Cragger

Loremaster

I've personally not had it happen in a very long time ever since I started using a Audigy sound card. But back when I was using onboard sound I would get crashes or more precisely game lockups when the reverb of the group ward having been cast occured at the same time as the reverb of one of the druid spell sounds.

Its been a long time though, like over a year.

Old 02-12-2009, 05:29 AM   #5
Tehom

Loremaster

Chath

Antonia Bayle

Tomb of the Mad Crusader

Monday night, around midnight eastern

Froze up while casting a group ward. Most of my freezes are on casting group ward, and I also have an arm of erollisi like the first poster if that could be related. This has been a very long-term problem for me, occurring for years. I've also had occasional freezes on an illusionist, particularly when casting chronosiphon, though it's much more rare than on my defiler.

Tehom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2009, 07:08 PM   #6
Merissa
Server: Venekor
Guild: Highkeep Heros

Loremaster

Merissa

Venekor

It can happen in any zone at anytime of day.  I play both during the day and evening, everyday PST.

This started happening to me just a few months ago, but it was right around the time that I started raiding with this toon and getting more gear that have procs on them.  Most the time it happens at the end of casting my group ward just before the spell finishes.  It has happend with other spells as well though.  When it happens the game just freezes.  I can still hear voice chat, but can say anything.  I don't run game music, I play in windows mode, and have other programs like ACT, Vent, and internet explorer up in the background.  When it happens I am able to use the task manager to exit the game.

I would really apprieciate this being looked into much further then it has been.  Though there are other mystic I know that aren't having issues.  I don't understand why there are so many of us from many different servers who are having the same issue.

Merissa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2009, 11:33 PM   #7
Verrie77

Loremaster

I just crashed 03:31 CET in KC...just 4 ppl in group. I crashed on single target ward. And didnt have arm of erollisi equpied.

EDIT: sry forgot this info..

Character Name : VelinaServer: SplitpawZone: Karnors CastleTime (As accurate as possible): 03:31 CET , feb. 13- 2009 ( 4 ppl in group, ShadowKnight, Necro, Swashy, Mystic&nbspSMILEY

Old 02-14-2009, 11:32 AM   #8
mikeyswizz

Loremaster

Character Name: KriksServer: NektulosZone: AllDate and Time (As accurate as possible): Everynight at least once for the past 6+ months. Always during raids, sometimes during groups.

Old 02-16-2009, 06:33 PM   #9
ecoskii

Loremaster

ecoskii, mystic, splitpaw

Tomb of Mad Crusader

9.03pm GMT

Casting grp ward, Xebnok 10% from dead and in a tank group... woop woop

ecoskii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2009, 07:59 AM   #10
ecoskii

Loremaster

and again at 11.03 GMT... this time i waited until Abstalius in Palace was 10% from dead before crashing

Old 02-18-2009, 09:51 PM   #11
Verrie77

Loremaster

Crashed again and on singletarget ward .

Character Name : VelinaServer: SplitpawZone: SebilisTime (As accurate as possible): 19 febr. - 01:50 CET 3 ppl in group ( SHadowknight, Swashy, Mystic)

Old 02-22-2009, 11:42 PM   #12
Dukie

Loremaster

Character Name : DukienaServer: NagafenZone: Kylong PlainsTime (As accurate as possible): 21 Feb - 13:00 PST 6 ppl in group and also 20 Feb 1930 PST

Whats odd about this is that its always during a PVP battle in Kylong Plains.  and Both DPS in the my group get knocked to desktop.  Never had it happen anywhere else.  Jut during a battle when EQ will screen of death and close out to desktop immediately.  Might i state that it happened twice in 2 days and both times myself (assassin) and our troub got booted at the exact same second.

Dukiena McNarrin

80 Assassin

Nagafen Server

Stranglehold Guild 

Dukie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2009, 03:03 PM   #13
Trandom

Loremaster

Still crashing many times a week.  Always while casting a ward, either group or single target.  Usually in a Raid, in MT group.  Last night on single target ward during Nexona fight.  Nexona was at about 35%.  Total game freeze.  Have to use task manager to close the program. 

Please fix this fast, many people in the game, and in our raid force, don't understand that this is a game issue, and not an issue with my PC.  I am tired of the rest of my raid force suffering from LD's cause by an issue of yours and thinking it is my computer. 

If there is more info you need from us to help you find the problem then plz contact those of us that are having this problem.  Stop keeping us in the dark and at least let us know that you are trying to figure it out.  It is just getting very frustrating.

Merissa

80 Mystic

Venekor Server

Trandom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2009, 06:15 PM   #14
ecoskii

Loremaster

9:02pm GMT on Pentaclypse - another 20 minutes of raiding wasted for 24 peeps - many thanks

9:58pm GMT on Pentaclypse - 5% - many thanks

Old 02-25-2009, 07:19 PM   #15
Motzi
Guild: Inner Circle

Loremaster

Rothgar,

Hate to say it after reading others, it hasn't happened to me for a few weeks now atleast.

However, it previously  happened at 99% casting progress of group ward, about a 1:1000 chance would be my guess.

I will however throw together a g15 macro tonight to recast carrion ward for 12-18 hours and let you know the name/zone/time if I get a crash.

Motzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2009, 05:24 PM   #16
Trandom

Loremaster

Why are we not getting any feed back on this issue.  At this point I am not even sure it is still being looked into.  This is still happening many times a week.  I stand to loose my spot in the mt group on our raids becuase it happens too much on hard name mobs. 

Could you please at least respond to us and let us know that you are looking in to a cause and fix.  Don't just leave us hanging.

Old 02-28-2009, 08:56 PM   #17
keninem2k4

Loremaster

I have been freezing up every day that I raid for about 2 years now. Thinking that it was on my end I never pursued a fix until I got a completely new computer and it is still happening.

Character Name: KyndallServer: CrushboneZone: ALL raid zones, dating back to EoF.Date and Time (As accurate as possible): This happens EVERY time I raid. I can't give you dates and a time. The last time it happened was about1AM EST this past thursday. I raid Monday-Thursday. On Monday it will happen again about 3 hours into my raid. I have been attempting to keep track of what I am casting and this past week it has always happened right after or right at the end of my group ward cast.

Old 03-02-2009, 03:47 PM   #18
Rothgar

Developer

keninem2k4 wrote:

I have been freezing up every day that I raid for about 2 years now. Thinking that it was on my end I never pursued a fix until I got a completely new computer and it is still happening.

Character Name: KyndallServer: CrushboneZone: ALL raid zones, dating back to EoF.Date and Time (As accurate as possible): This happens EVERY time I raid. I can't give you dates and a time. The last time it happened was about1AM EST this past thursday. I raid Monday-Thursday. On Monday it will happen again about 3 hours into my raid. I have been attempting to keep track of what I am casting and this past week it has always happened right after or right at the end of my group ward cast.

If it happens tonight on your Monday night raid, please PM me with the zone and time that it occurred.

Old 03-02-2009, 04:33 PM   #19
Aven Elonis

Loremaster

Hmm, this got me thinking, I've joked for maybe 3 years now how Defiler in the MT group (me being the MT) have LD'ed during raids. This is happened to multiple Defilers over that time.

I'll start collecting data as it happens going foward.

Aven Elonis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2009, 02:18 AM   #20
keninem2k4

Loremaster

Quoted from the other thread.. "Please contribute your info to the thread linked above.  I need exact times as close as you can get so I can dig through the logs.  Telling me "it happens every time I raid" does not help me get any closer to a fix for this problem."

No but maybe the 3 week long petition I have clearly documenting the information would. Or the petition from a year ago when I was having the same problem and was told it was on my end.

There is no "if" I freeze btw, It happened, just like it does every night, anywhere from 11:30PM EST- 2AM EST, just like it says in my petition. I pm'ed you the info.

Old 03-04-2009, 09:22 PM   #21
Rothgar

Developer

Is anyone still experiencing this problem while casting wards?  And if so, I need to find someone who is getting a true crash of their client where the client shuts down.  Unfortunately if you're freezing up, crash logs are not generated and there's very little for us to go on.

So if you're experiencing a crash, not a freeze, please PM me your server name, character name, zone you were in and the exact time (as close as possible) that the crash happened.

Thanks!

Old 03-04-2009, 10:11 PM   #22
Tehom

Loremaster

Unfortunately I'm freezing nearly every night I play, but it never generates an actual crash. The other night (march 2nd) it happened twice in Runnyeye: the Gathering when casting group ward seperated by about an hour (say around 6 and 7 pm est), once in Fens of Nathsar (maybe around 1 am est). I have noticed that turning off max number of spell results from 1 to 0 reduces the frequency of the freezes, but doesn't eliminate it.

Old 03-05-2009, 11:11 AM   #23
Banditman

Loremaster

Sadly, mine are all freezes as well, no crashes.  Always right as the casting bar nears completion, always a Ward.

Happens at least once per night.

*sigh*

Old 03-05-2009, 03:53 PM   #24
Trandom

Loremaster

Mine are not crashes either.  It is a game freeze,  everything eles that I am running still runs just fine.  When I use task manager to log out it just says EQ2 not responding.  I would say 95% or of my crashes are from casting group wards, in the MT group in any raid zone.  However I have had it freeze on single target ward and stoicism as well.

I raid Mon, Wed, Thurs. from 6pm pst, till 8pm, and Sun 4pm till 7 or 8 pm. 

It doesn't happen every raid, but it is to the point that I am holding my breath just waiting for it to happen.  The old thread mentioned something about gear that has procs possibly contributing to the issues.  Is this still a possiblity?  I have wondered if it had something to do with having everything procing at the same time along with the extreamly long cast time of the group ward.

It seems that many of us are freezing, not crashing.  So does this mean that there is nothing you can do?

Old 03-05-2009, 03:59 PM   #25
Rothgar

Developer

[email protected] wrote:

It seems that many of us are freezing, not crashing.  So does this mean that there is nothing you can do?

No, don't lose hope.  It just makes it MUCH more difficult to find the problem.  Unless I can reproduce it here, most of our fixes are limited to speculation.  Since this happens mainly in a group or raid setting, it might be very difficult for me to get it to happen here, but we are going to try our best. 

We have lots of stability fixes and optimizations going into GU51 that might eliminate the problem.

Old 03-06-2009, 04:40 AM   #26
Tehom

Loremaster

I thought I might throw out a few characteristics that I've noticed and see if it matches anything else people have noticed.

My freezes are almost all group ward, and like others have said, basically correspond with almost finishing the spell, which suggested procs. I use The Arm of Erollisi like other people have mentioned; I have other proc items, but most of them are relatively new compared to how long the freezes have been going on, while Arm's existed since Kingdom of Sky. It only tends to happen after at least an hour or two in a single zone - although it could just be simple probability, I've never frozen shortly after entering a zone - it's nearly always after an hour or two there. Reducing number of spell results per player to 0 greatly, greatly reduces the frequency of it happening - from nearly a guaranteed freeze or two a night to it being relatively infrequent, though still happening if I spend several hours in a given zone. Freezes are independent of combat itself - a good amount of my freezes were in casting group ward right before a pull, so if a culprit is a simultaneous sound/effect of other spells/procs, it may be more likely to be spells that can be cast before combat begins.

Old 03-06-2009, 04:56 AM   #27
Verrie77

Loremaster

Rothgar wrote:

No, don't lose hope.  

Those words meens alot, thankyou

Old 03-06-2009, 09:03 AM   #28
Thunderthyze

Loremaster

Rothgar wrote:

Is anyone still experiencing this problem while casting wards?  And if so, I need to find someone who is getting a true crash of their client where the client shuts down.  Unfortunately if you're freezing up, crash logs are not generated and there's very little for us to go on.

So if you're experiencing a crash, not a freeze, please PM me your server name, character name, zone you were in and the exact time (as close as possible) that the crash happened.

Thanks!

Never seen this personally on Runnyeye although I do notice occasionally my casting progress bar hesitates at 98/99%. I'll keep an eye out in the future though.

Not wishing to derail the thread but I had an issue with my Zerker a while ago (last year) when my pc actually used to power down when playing him. It never happened with any other character, it was never associated with a cpu heat spike and I have a voltage regulator on my power supply which I even replaced in an effort to track down the problem. Other people using the same power supply and playing at the same time were unaffected. Touch wood it hasn't happened for a few months now.

Thunderthyze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2009, 06:19 PM   #29
ecoskii

Loremaster

20:56 Palace on Splitpaw - healed a lot so crashed in 1 hr - many thanks... more posts to follow doubtless

Old 03-11-2009, 06:23 PM   #30
Motzi
Guild: Inner Circle

Loremaster

Rothgar wrote:

Thanks!

Yes.  I wrote down the zone and time, but my SO seems to have cleaned up my workspace =/

Server: UnrestToon: UlrichvonWard: Locked on last tick of casting single target ward.Zone/Time: shoot, it was between thrusday and sunday =/  I think it was in the only heroic tso instance I ran him on, I jsut can't remember which and when =/

I'll dig and see if i can find the zone/time for you.

Motzi is offline   Reply With Quote