EQ2 Forum Archive @ EQ2Wire

Go Back   EQ2 Forum Archive @ EQ2Wire > EverQuest II > The Development Corner > Developer Roundtable
Members List Search Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 05-08-2007, 11:50 AM   #61
Metaphysix

Loremaster

Since I just started fairly recently, I've got tons of slots. ^^ Way to go SOE!
Metaphysix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2007, 11:58 AM   #62
swedago

Loremaster

Well, Captain Scott..  Thank you
Old 05-08-2007, 12:23 PM   #63
Catsy

Loremaster

Don't think that I'm not appreciative of the new character slots--because boy, am I ever. But I'd like to point out a problem with using extra character slots as an incentive for people to purchase Station Access. EverQuest II is $14.99 per month. Station Access is $29.99 per month. That makes Station Access roughly twice the cost of a regular account. A regular account has 6 character slots, 7 after GU35. Station Access has 10 character slots, 12 after the update. OTOH, if you buy two copies of EQ2, and pay for two accounts, you pay $29.98 per month, and get 12 character slots, 14 after GU35. For a penny less than Station Access, you get two more character slots, plus all the advantages that come with being able to duo your characters. The only extra cost is the up-front expense of buying the extra copy of EQ2 (and an extra copy of each expansion when they come out). Compared to the monthly cost over time, this expense is trivial. Yes, I realize that there are lots of other features that come along with SA accounts, but there is really no reason at all for someone who just wants more character slots to buy Station Access. I would recommend offering up extra character slots as an add-on feature that you can purchase separately, like the various guild and player stat tools.

Truancy: 70 Coercer / Sage

Old World Guardians @ Guk
Catsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2007, 01:01 PM   #64
R2D2s_Lovechild

Loremaster

A big BIGthankyou to the SOE team for these extra slots. I was wondering which one of my poor low level alts was gonna have to bite the big one to make way for a new Arasai (which by the way, are awesome on the test server!). Thanking ye kindly! SMILEY
R2D2s_Lovechild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2007, 01:12 PM   #65
LeonL

Loremaster

All I can say is "It's about time!" SMILEY

Being a veteran of this game since it's release, I would love to have the options to play a wide variety of characters on any number of servers that I have friends on. Instead, I must rely on using multiple accounts to do this. (Why pay the Station Pass for 4 more slots when a second account really isn't any more for more slots.) Is the limit of number of characters a technical issue? If so, I can understand that. Servers and the software that run on them can only hold so much data before it slows and eventually grinds to a halt. Is it the issue of many players leaving unplayed toons for long periods of time? I really don't see this being an issue because unused accounts don't have the characters wiped, although SOE offers no guarantees. (I've seen one account go nearly 2 years and be involved in server merges and still have the characters available when the account was reactivated.) Or is it just a financial issue? I can even understand this. We all have to make a living and would like to profit in the best way possible from our labors. 

If the reason for limited number of character slots is financial, then why not provide more options other than Station Pass or a second account? I don't have more than one system that will play EQ2, so there is really no real reason to have a second account. (Admittedly, if I did have two systems, I would probably make the most of Station Exchange to pay for it all.) Currently, characters are $2.50 each, 6 at a time ($15/month subscription) Why not just add something similar to this to the subscription options? Say charge about $2.00 each/month? Maybe (as another player suggested) those subscribing to the Station Players premiums get a couple extra characters?

In my opinion, the only advantages of having multiple accounts should be to 1) have store merchants going on each account, and 2) be able to play multiple characters simultaneously. I'm not an accountant or financial expert, but just playing with [I cannot control my vocabulary] charges in my head makes the expanded account services a better option for those that don't want to have to access multiple accounts for more than the basic number of characters.

I love this game, and I love the community. The limitation of character slots is the only thing I truly hate about this game.

Fumen Fromda'ears, Templar and Alchemist, The Bazaar

Ishuf, Conjuror and Provisioner, Test
LeonL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2007, 01:31 PM   #66
Lightstrider

Loremaster

Not to split hairs, but characters are not $2.50 each.  The cost of your subscription does not exclusively cover the costs of maintaining your characters--it goes to paying for all the costs associated with running the game, regardless of how many characters you have.  By your logic, the person playing only one character would only need to pay $2.50 per month.  You pay the $15.00 subscription, and for that SOE runs the servers, designs new quests, maintains this website, etc.  They also allow you to have 6 characters, but the number is arbitrary, and the fact that they are upping that number to seven (pause to celebrate--yay!) demonstrates this.  You can't do simple math like that when looking at things like this--that would mean that on WOW, characters "cost" 30 cents each, and probably even less on EQ1 (not sure how many servers they have these days, but multiply number of servers by 8, then divide 15 by that number...). 

I am thrilled that they are adding a new character slot.  It's very exciting, and I have to decide now what class to fill that slot with.  It's great to be able to think about it!  However, I would still like to see more slots...I realize that after all this, it may sound ungrateful, but it still appear to me that we lag behind most of the other games in terms of character slots.  Yes, yes, I know, the graphics, the storage, etc....well, this is a step in the right direction at any rate.

On a separate note, I think the poster who suggested slots be added to Station Players--wow, your argument makes perfect sense to me!  I know I used to have Station Access (when I could afford it) exclusively for the character slots, not for the other games, so I think you're right, I would have rather paid for Station Players since I would have gotten some use out of that beyond the slots themselves.

Old 05-08-2007, 01:59 PM   #67
Amocus

Loremaster

Though I agree this is good new, I have to wonder about all you alt-o-holics. I barely find the time to play my one main, and baby alt, let alone more than  that! Where would I find time to eat and sleep?
Old 05-08-2007, 02:40 PM   #68
Wingrider01

Loremaster

LeonL wrote:

All I can say is "It's about time!" SMILEY

Being a veteran of this game since it's release, I would love to have the options to play a wide variety of characters on any number of servers that I have friends on. Instead, I must rely on using multiple accounts to do this. (Why pay the Station Pass for 4 more slots when a second account really isn't any more for more slots.) Is the limit of number of characters a technical issue? If so, I can understand that. Servers and the software that run on them can only hold so much data before it slows and eventually grinds to a halt. Is it the issue of many players leaving unplayed toons for long periods of time? I really don't see this being an issue because unused accounts don't have the characters wiped, although SOE offers no guarantees. (I've seen one account go nearly 2 years and be involved in server merges and still have the characters available when the account was reactivated.) Or is it just a financial issue? I can even understand this. We all have to make a living and would like to profit in the best way possible from our labors. 

If the reason for limited number of character slots is financial, then why not provide more options other than Station Pass or a second account? I don't have more than one system that will play EQ2, so there is really no real reason to have a second account. (Admittedly, if I did have two systems, I would probably make the most of Station Exchange to pay for it all.) Currently, characters are $2.50 each, 6 at a time ($15/month subscription) Why not just add something similar to this to the subscription options? Say charge about $2.00 each/month? Maybe (as another player suggested) those subscribing to the Station Players premiums get a couple extra characters?

In my opinion, the only advantages of having multiple accounts should be to 1) have store merchants going on each account, and 2) be able to play multiple characters simultaneously. I'm not an accountant or financial expert, but just playing with [I cannot control my vocabulary] charges in my head makes the expanded account services a better option for those that don't want to have to access multiple accounts for more than the basic number of characters.

I love this game, and I love the community. The limitation of character slots is the only thing I truly hate about this game.

You monthly reoccurring is mainly used for other minor incidentals - like electricity, salaries, server farm equipment monthly lease, employee benefits, monthly re-occurring bandwith costs, network hardware, router hardware to mention a few - oh yes, stock holder income from profits. Station Players subscription pay for the upkeep of the servers the application runs on, the web designer costs, electricty for that server farm, bandwidth for the server, etc. Makes zero sense to add the additional slots to that. Best bet would be a additional monthly re-occurring charge per character slot to pay for the additional resources, say 2.50 a character a month, since that is the number that you came up with.

Yes Jim, the user has experienced the dreaded PICNIC error

Wingrider01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2007, 03:56 PM   #69
Greenion

Loremaster

"and because they plan on expanding the set of stuffs available per that subscription type. i also think they will be offering other alternatives...just my opinion, and likely before schools let out for summer vacation...also just my opinion."

"time is an illusion, lunchtime, doubly so."

link

==================

"although i dont think the increase in price should be termed "stupid" as much as it could be coined (pardon the pun) "necessary" or "needed", i think your proposal an interesting proposition to them that could possibly prove pleasing to a wide range of the eqii playerbase specifically."

link

==================

/checks calender....

mmmmyep.

thx for the slots.

Old 05-08-2007, 04:53 PM   #70
msheaf

Tester

Grimwell wrote:
EQ2Playa432 wrote:
This is great news - thank you!!! How will this affect those of us on the pvp servers that have extra slots due to the merge?
Good question. Your exception cap will still remain fixed at 12. So if you have more than seven characters on a normal account, you won't see a change or new slot in line.
So I guess these really aren't bonus slots after all. All we got was an early upgrade. Can't say that I am happy with this answer, bonus slots should be permanate slots (unless we delete the toons). We should still get our extra slots in addition to the new ones. After all we weren't the ones who got rid of a server that we were playing on forcing some of us to still delete toons (even with bonus slots I had to delete two toons).
msheaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2007, 05:41 PM   #71
Aera

Loremaster

Thank you!
Old 05-08-2007, 06:07 PM   #72
Raveller

Loremaster

[email protected] wrote:
Raveller wrote:
This is great news. Do you know what would be even better than extra character slots? If the servers could actually stay up rather than crashing several times a day. That would be awesome.

I can count on one finger the number of times I have seen my server crash in the past year. Are you sure we're playing the same game here?

Thank you for the additional slot(s). I'm firing up my test account again to get ready for what I want to fill that slot up with.

You're either not playing, or you are playing on one of the few servers that aren't crashing multiple times everyday now. Oh, i get it, you play on one of the many servers that everyone is fleeing with free transfers onto AB or Najena.
Raveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2007, 06:11 PM   #73
Raveller

Loremaster

Fatkiddown wrote:
Raveller wrote:
This is great news. Do you know what would be even better than extra character slots? If the servers could actually stay up rather than crashing several times a day. That would be awesome.
What server are you on?  Crushbone almost never crashes,  at least not in the 7pm-1amEST timeframe I usually play.   It was down for a little bit this past weekend on Saturday night but that was the first time in forever that I can remember it going down.

Antonia Bayle has been crashing at least half a dozen times a day beginning Friday, May 4, 2007 right up through last night. Haven't logged in today yet.

I've joined the band wagon of folks who say NO new content and NO game changes until they figure out how to stabilize the game.

Raveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2007, 06:19 PM   #74
Greenion

Loremaster

[email protected] wrote:
Grimwell wrote:
EQ2Playa432 wrote:
This is great news - thank you!!! How will this affect those of us on the pvp servers that have extra slots due to the merge?
Good question. Your exception cap will still remain fixed at 12. So if you have more than seven characters on a normal account, you won't see a change or new slot in line.
So I guess these really aren't bonus slots after all. All we got was an early upgrade. Can't say that I am happy with this answer, bonus slots should be permanate slots (unless we delete the toons). We should still get our extra slots in addition to the new ones. After all we weren't the ones who got rid of a server that we were playing on forcing some of us to still delete toons (even with bonus slots I had to delete two toons).

the server they got rid of was a pvp server.

they also added a pvp server that every subscriber will at the time GU 35 goes live either 7 or 12 slots available on, as well as their regular slots...

so actually not only did you get either 1 or 2 slots for regular live pvp servers, you got 7 or 12 slots that you can even copy a character to, and if you dont want a duped copy, you can delete either one...and still have a copy...

so...a single all access subscription now (after gu 35 oops) has a total of 24 character slots available on pvp servers.

Old 05-08-2007, 06:24 PM   #75
msheaf

Tester

They did not add a new PVP server when they moved us. They moved us to an existing PVP on the US side. The move has already happened and has nothing to do with GU 35. I'm guessing what you are talking about is the test PVP server. If that is the case you still only get 10 slots (currently under station pass) between the regular test server and the PVP test server. Still no help for me as I have test maxed out at 10 alts (no really I can quit making alts any time I want). SMILEY
Old 05-08-2007, 06:25 PM   #76
Greenion

Loremaster

they added the pvp test server...you have as many slots available on that server as your account is enabled for.
Old 05-08-2007, 06:27 PM   #77
msheaf

Tester

See my previous post which I edited while you typed your last one. SMILEY
Old 05-08-2007, 06:31 PM   #78
Greenion

Loremaster

atm if you have an all access account you have 10 slots for whatever live servers you want, and i think 10 for test, im not sure whether you have 10 pve test and 10 pvp test...i dunno...

all im trying to say is after gu 35 i'll be able to have 12 chars on live pvp servers and 12 chars on pvp test which is a total of 24 chars on pvp servers for a single subscription in eqii...

1 for each class...which i believe is actually what i'd wanted when the game launched...24 eqii pvp slots, 1 for each class...and now i got them.

Old 05-08-2007, 07:08 PM   #79
Kamimura

Loremaster

Well, I'm pretty excited! Alts are better than crack. SMILEY
Kamimura is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2007, 07:24 PM   #80
Thantoes

Loremaster

/target Scott   /bow    /thank     SMILEY

/target Grimwell  /grin    /em looks for the key to %T room again   SMILEY

Now what to do What to do    I have a 70 Gnome conj-70 sage-136 Tinkerer(ancester of my EQ1 main that I had to leave 5? or so years ago- 56 Magician/Master Tinkerer)SMILEY   ,,, 63 DE Necro-48 Tailor,,,43 Barb Pally-47 Armorer,,,,41 Kitty Warlock-42 Jeweler,,,,40 Orge Bruiser-42 Alchy,,,,and 37 Human Temp-41 Carpenter

Whats next?? Umm Druid for more ports then my War and a Provisioner oooorrrr weaponsmith ummmmmm but woodworker gets all the totems AND ARROWS hehehe dang it now I have to make a tough decision...:  SMILEY 

Old 05-08-2007, 08:09 PM   #81
OakravenDesade

Journeyman

Raveller wrote:
Fatkiddown wrote:

I've joined the band wagon of folks who say NO new content and NO game changes until they figure out how to stabilize the game.

ok we will get the zone designers to go over the Server code and hardware just for you, along with the Quest designers, SoundFX people, and Graphic artists, incidentaly None of whome know crap about how to design, mainting and tweek the servers (I would not be surprised to find out that some of them dont even know how to plug in a USB mouse without calling tec suport). . . Im sure by the end of the day we well be looking at flaming piles of scrap scattered around the hole where the servers used to be. But at least then you cant complain about the game crashing.

Seriously next time use your brain, theirs probably 2 people in the designe team who actualy know how to build and maintain a server and what they know how to maintain is the Test and development Servers, which frankly are not the live servers. And to be blunt the rest of development team clearly know more about how to maintain the servers than you do because they know they should not be allowed in the same room as the game servers.

OakravenDesade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2007, 08:19 PM   #82
OakravenDesade

Journeyman

Actualy that sounded a bit harsher (to the developers) than I ment it to be. but the sad reality is that when it comes to online games,

People who know how to get the most out of the computers < Coders who know how to create code < the "content developers" who use the code someone else created to populate the zones with art and story, a lot of the people in the last group nowdays probably know as mutch about codeing and hardware as the typical SIMS2 player.

OakravenDesade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2007, 08:31 PM   #83
msheaf

Tester

Greenion wrote:

atm if you have an all access account you have 10 slots for whatever live servers you want, and i think 10 for test, im not sure whether you have 10 pve test and 10 pvp test...i dunno...

all im trying to say is after gu 35 i'll be able to have 12 chars on live pvp servers and 12 chars on pvp test which is a total of 24 chars on pvp servers for a single subscription in eqii...

1 for each class...which i believe is actually what i'd wanted when the game launched...24 eqii pvp slots, 1 for each class...and now i got them.

You get 10 total between regular test and PVP test. They stated that when they first announced that PVP test was going out. All I want is my two extra slots on the US servers that they seemed to promise us that had toons that were moved from EU to US. So after 35 I would expect 14 slots on live US and 12 slots on test. But I guess I'm a bit screwed and whiney about it.
Old 05-08-2007, 10:04 PM   #84
dawy

Loremaster

Huzzah another character slot SMILEY more good news wont have to trashed one of my other toons now
dawy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2007, 01:04 AM   #85
Perzephone

Casters Realm

THANK YOU!!!! SMILEY THANK YOU Scott and the rest of the Team at Eq2 SMILEY you guys made my family of toons happy SMILEY

Perzephone Rocksdamic ~ Coercer

Proud member of Arion, Unrest

Staff Writer, Casters Realm
Perzephone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2007, 11:06 AM   #86
Death900

Loremaster

while i am gratful that the slots are to be increased finnally but wht only one and not two for the base eq2:idea: :thumbdown: with all the new races

and such i am sure alot of people have alot of 70 toons the only reason i dont is that i keep deleting and recreating toons because i dont want alot of 70 toons:-(

Death900 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2007, 11:56 AM   #87
shalom

Loremaster

So if I upgraded to Station Access today, I would go from 6 slots to 11?

And then after GU35 12 slots?

Old 05-09-2007, 12:01 PM   #88
DerykRenaln

Loremaster

shalom wrote:

So if I upgraded to Station Access today, I would go from 6 slots to 11?

And then after GU35 12 slots?

As of today you would have 10 character slots total (only with Station Access) to be divided amongst any servers you are on. Example I have 9 on Antonia Bayle and 1 on Befallen. Post GU35, you will have 2 additional character slots to use (again, only with Station Access). That's all there is to it. It's not that complicated really...

SMILEY

Old 05-10-2007, 05:47 AM   #89
BoriKitty

Loremaster

Yay!  With the announcement of the Kunark expansion I can now patiently wait (wait with my 1 slot ready) for the Sarnark (I already have a Fae and she's not going eville SMILEY )
Old 05-10-2007, 08:47 AM   #90
Wingrider01

Loremaster

BoriKitty wrote:
Yay!  With the announcement of the Kunark expansion I can now patiently wait (wait with my 1 slot ready) for the Sarnark (I already have a Fae and she's not going eville SMILEY )
Forgot about sarnak - oh well understand they taste like chicken

Yes Jim, the user has experienced the dreaded PICNIC error

Wingrider01 is offline   Reply With Quote