EQ2 Forum Archive @ EQ2Wire

Go Back   EQ2 Forum Archive @ EQ2Wire > EverQuest II > The Development Corner > Developer Roundtable
Members List Search Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 02-16-2010, 09:04 AM   #91
ShinGoku

Loremaster

Animul wrote:

ShinGoku wrote:

ebon hawk wrote:

Hello I am looking for a "What Bugs the most 2010" post? if there is one? if not please start one. thanks

Polls ftw!  In beta we testers were asked for our feedback regarding several things.  I will note the 2 most important ones.

One poll asked what did you enjoy the most.  There were 42 posted comments over 3 pages.

One poll asked what you liked the least and there were 100 posted comments over 7 pages.

What does this tell us peeps?

The reason it was like that is because of the selections we were given. They seemed to have purposely left out AA changes and Stat changes/mechanics, this was pointed out very early on when the poll started by many different people yet ignored completely.

What does that tell you?

It tells me the same thing it does you I would imagine.  I also agree that those feedback things were totally loaded.

ShinGoku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2010, 09:29 AM   #92
kcirrot

Loremaster

[email protected] DLere wrote:

[email protected] Bayle wrote:

Further, you're again either ignoring or not grasping why people are upset.  Let me say it, again:  People are upset because you all chose to include battlegrounds, rather than New Halas, and you waited until people were having a fit to say anything at all.  You guys have been having to beg and bribe people to help test your battlegrounds, which tells me and quite a few of my friends that very few people are interested in this colossal waste of time.  As has been said before, there wasn't enough interest in PvP to keep two servers open; you had to merge Venekor and Nagafen.  Yet, for some reason that even the most rational of us can't figure out, Brenlo and Co. decided to add more PvP to GU55!

Wonder of wonders, people are upset by this decision!  It's not so much that New Halas is delayed, it's that New Halas was delayed while you all work on this nonsense called Battlegrounds.  Sure, you'll get a few people on the forums who will reply and say that they're interested in battlegrounds.  But you're having to bribe people to help test them.  That's important, and that bears repeating.  You're having to bribe people to help test battlegrounds.  If battlegrounds become anything more than an occasional pastime for folks between groups or raids, then I'll be shocked.  I fully expect them to be barren and unused within a few weeks, just like the arenas have been for years. 

I completely understand the gripes about Halas.  It was one of the selling points of the expansion.  Let's go ahead and try to make a minimal effort to market EQ2 in the hopes of drawing in new players.  Going hand in hand with this, we're releasing a new starter area so that the new players can play with existing players who have made new alts.  Now we're going to delay Halas while having still made our vague marketing pitch.  Wait a minute...

Having said that, I've actually heard a lot of positive comments about the Battlegrounds.  Purely consentual PvP only when ever you're in the mood for it is an attractive thing.  Playing in a Battleground isn't anything like playing in a true PvP server.  In fact, many of the PvP'ers on the boards are hacked off about the Battlegrounds since they're yet another place for their server members to hide while avoiding over land PvP.  The main market share that this is being pitched to is the PvE crowd.  Many PvE'ers have expressed interest in the concept, but at the same time don't have any real knowledge about it.

So why did the Battlegrounds not get properly tested?  Let's see.  There was only a short time window for a rush job on the testing.  Many times the Battlegrounds were just down as the devs tried to iron out the numerous bugs.  (Therefore people on Test couldn't even test them a lot of the time.)  As if this isn't enough, you could only try them out on Test.  What the heck?  Most of us average players haven't downloaded the Test server and sacrificed another portion of our hard drives.  Then even once you've downloaded the Test server, you either have to make a new character or have to try and fiddle with the whole test copy system.  In previous times, getting a character added via test copy often takes 1-5 days.  So when a player has to keep all of this in mind, just how inclined are they going to be to go into the Battlegrounds?

If you added some way for Live servers to log into the Battlegrounds with minimal difficulty, then these would have seen a lot more traffic.  But under the current implimentation, it's not surprising that they were mostly ghost towns.

Even now, there's still some general confussion about them.  Do these instances actually use the PvP server rules set?  (I believe the answer if Yes.)  But if they are, then how could the capture the flag runners blur through the zone even when other people engaged them in combat?  (If I've understand correctly, the rules set is actually a hybrid between PvP and PvE.)  What kind of rewards are there from doing the Battlegrounds?  Is this new source of gear actually useful in PvE?  How often can a person participate in these Battlegrounds?  Etc etc.

People really just don't know what's going on.  While SOE has tried to include links on the start up EQ2 menu, people haven't read them.  Then even when they are read, there are still a lot of unanswered questions.  This is going to lead to a lot of confussion and chaos once they go Live.  But unless something radically changed, we've reached the point of no return and everyone is just going to have to deal with the fall out of the Battlegrounds.  Whatever it may be.

Great post.  Despite a lot of the posts here, I think Battlegrounds will be a good addition and will see use from a decent segment of the PvE community.  There much more interest in this type of casual PvP than a lot of people here seem to suggest.

In addition, I would further quarrel with folks who believe that if they hadn't done BGs, they would have had resources to do something else.  It's pretty clear they have staff dedicated to PvP.  As for the art assets, the art team did a bang up job on Odus and I don't think creating three small maps took that much time from the PvE game. 

My concern with this Producer's Letter is that most of those look forward, telling us what's to come and giving some teasers.  This letter didn't give us any information we didn't already know.

kcirrot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2010, 10:30 AM   #93
Nolrog

Loremaster

[email protected] Bayle wrote:

Have to say Im extremely disapointed in both the brevity of the letter and in Brenlo overall as producer. We are what? 15  months into the development cycle of this expansion and again we are told we are getting less than expected. Wasnt the additional SIX MONTHS of development announced at Fan Faire enough time to complete the work?

Go look at the previous producer's communications to the community - they are often lengthy and while not always full of highly detailed information - they at least contain something more than this subpar effort .

Brenlo - with all due respect, while I am sure you are busy with the day to day buisness of running the game's development, it is not too much to ask to have our Producer offer a bit more than this .  177 posts in 6 YEARS? really?

As the game ages - no doubt SOE is allocating fewer resources to it, and I suspect that, more than anything else, is the reason for the delay. But Brenlo - you stood in front of us at Fan Faire and told us the move from November to Feb was to be 100% sure youd be ready and launch it complete and on time. Now you're pushing the city back til "later this year"

Cmon willya? a little more info please.

At least EQ2 is getting producer letters.  EQ hasn't had one in maybe a year (perhaps longer.)

Nolrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2010, 10:47 AM   #94
Oneeyejackcb

Loremaster

This is your player base talking to you Brenlo..care to comment back? You like to change things for a select few of our player base and leave the larger percentage out or screw em around. This is why I have not even wanted to do a fan faire...all you do is fill peeps bellies with hopes of a nice exspansion only to screw it all up and basically become a liar about what will come on launch date. I really like how the player base is considered so dumb you got to dumb stuff down for em. WTG welcome to KOS 2.0 where even more peeps get to fight for raid patterns and you get to fly around and fall off islands all the time.

BG..lol You want pve to want to play against pvp players in a area that a single pvp player can go around and slaughter pve? roflmao GL with that going over good. Get a clue...pve is not pvp and your core pvp base is dwendling. You guys have wasted soooo much time on BG and it will be worthless in the long run. The only thing I like about BG is the appearance of the armor that is lvl 90 crafted which I bet you will see alot of peeps waering it in app slots but never do BG zones. Now that was worth all your troubles of making BG I bet.

Oneeyejackcb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2010, 12:26 PM   #95
Elepian
Server: Kithicor
Guild: Arcane Dawn

Loremaster

I myself have done the BGs, and while they yes may have some bugs that can get annoying, (Ganak CTF the flag runner while running just all of a sudden drops flag for no apparent reason.  UGH.  SMILEY  .. They have put time and effort into this content coming out for people who have asked for there to be a pvp option.  Several players numerous times before BGs were even thought up attempted to get a pvp fix without going to pvp servers by doing the DoF Arenas.  Well since these became ghost towns after 2 weeks playing them, noone wants to do them or come out to battle player against player in the DoF arena.  I myself have maybe done a DoF Player vs Player arena oh... once, in the entire 5 years I have played this game.  and that was a spur of the moment thing with some kith members , (our server rocks btw.. hehe ).  

To see everyone whining about how unfair its going to be going up against Naggy/Vox players in a serverwide Battleground... what the hell is your problem?  If you would take 10-15 minutes on a nooby character you would find out what really makes those PvP players tick. What makes them so talented at demolishing an entire overland zone full of unsuspecting players? Not because PvP classes are slightly more powerful than PvE classes.. No.  If anything PVP class system is weaker in the fact that EVERY SPELL , is nerfed to not be so much more powerful against your opponent and offer more of a challenge as you grind them mercilessly! < cough cough>. ahem.  Anyhow, it is their AA setup, and gear.  No not PvP gear, I have played on Nagafen server here and there and have seen pvp toons stats on their gear.  in lower levels and low 70s its MC gear.  Yep thats right Mastercrafted Gear.  yes there are the select few that locked combat exp and got to 200 AAs before hitting 80, but they also can be killed. Noone is a God.  The Battlegrounds offer players a chance to see how well they know their class and its strong points.  Don't knock it till you try it , nuff said and no arguement necessary as 85% of the complaining in this thread has been about why Battlegrounds are coming into Live servers incomplete and Halas is getting pushed back until a later patch release.   Trust me I know what your reasoning is and it won't be necessary for you to waste your time reiterating it.  

Halas not coming with expansion... Am I upset about it? Yes, greatly.  Were it to have been boiled to a choice and both were at same level of completion however, I'd agree with the thread and say hold off on them both coming to Live servers.  Anything that has bugs in it, will be tossed to the junk heap and disregarded for years to come.  I am a lore [Removed for Content] and love storylines and such in EQ2.  One of the zones I constantly explained lore about to my guildies has been Halas over the years, as its been a peak of interest that a civilization can just disappear.    But it will come when they are ready.  I just hope that it comes sooner rather than later as I will agree that Gfay is a large zone and so can be hard to progress through questlines as so many can be missed out there, Darklight and Tim deep however are very easy to nav and show alot of promise but are strangling the life out of Outpost and Queen's Colony.    We could've really used Halas with expansion release but do what you feel is the best thing to do.  I learned a long time ago that nothing is solved by complaining SMILEY So i just state my 2cp and go about my way.   

Would say more but being called away to get expansion. keep doing what you do SOE and don't let us down.  

-Signed ,

your Veterans 

Old 02-16-2010, 01:33 PM   #96
Terron

Loremaster

[email protected] wrote:

Brook wrote:

[email protected] wrote:

[email protected] wrote:

Teron wrote:

Leveling characters is much fun, as long as you feel you're actually making progress. The part I don't like is when you're stuck with doing bad quest A or bad quest B, and you have to do them in order to progress the questlines. This is why I would like to see some more revamps, to get rid of these bottleneck quests that take much time and are neither hard nor interesting.

I can't think of any bad quest. Just because a quest can not be finished quickly does not make it bad.

You can always go and do a different quest to keep progressing.

Getting rid of quests is a bad idea. Some quests take a long time. That makes the feeling you get when you complete them all the better. If would be horrible if all quests were short.

RoK could have done with more long quests.

You can't think of any bad quests?  Okay, I'll help you.

I just recently pushed my way through to gain the Eidolon achievement (all areas explored, all quest amounts met) for all the zones in Norrath.  The quests in Antonica and the Thundering Steppes made me want to throw my computer off my balcony.

I'm not arguing with you here, I'm serious.  Go do 50 quests in Antonica, even at 80 with a mount, and then come back and tell me there are no bad quests.

I suppose it would get boring as hell doing that at level 80 considering how trivialized the content is then. That's not a game design fault, that's a players choice. Try doing it at level instead and see if the experience is the same.

Grats btw on the cloak, its quite an accomplishment.

Thanks!  I was quite proud of myself, actually.   And I guess I should explain a bit more...

I love doing quests.  LOVE them.  However, I found the ones in Antonica specifically very poorly crafted.  You basically had to traverse the whole zone (sometimes several times a quest) which just felt like a time sink rather than part of the quest itself.  Maybe it was because I was doing more recent ones compared to some of the very first ones, but the older zone quests just felt outdated and forced.  Like they had to keep us busy for a long time because there wasn't much else.

Congrats.

I have done a lot more than 50 quests in Antonica on my main (and on some alts) though I haven't done the newer quests there. It is true that older quests tended to involve more running around (though some newer ones also do). That is why I would get a bunch of them and do the updates when I got to the right area. I remember a progression across the zone with the easier quests near Qeynos and the harder ones further away, and the hardest sending you to SH, BB or TS. The quests did tend to be longer than is the standard for more recent zones, but I preferred that. Some have been made easier. There used to be a set of ring events near blackburrow that were needed to pop a particular type of gnoll needed for ones quest. On my guard at the time I was doing them I could not solo them before the mobs would repop - but that was more of a class problem than a quest one.

Traversing the zone is not a problem if that is what you would be doing anyway.

IMO a quest being hard or time consuming does not make it bad. I don't like to rush when I play.

I did most of the Antonica and TS quests without a mount, and many before the griffind were added to TS.

Terron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2010, 12:32 PM   #97
Michayla
Server: Najena
Guild: Valhallas Guard

Loremaster

If the producer writing this letter isn't even going to address the concerns of the community, why even bother writing the letter in the first place?

Stop writing stupid BS on your Twitter and address the concerns of the community already. We don't care about your stupid double milestone, what time you log in, or how many server firsts you can steal from the community.

Michayla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2010, 02:05 PM   #98
Nolrog

Loremaster

[email protected] wrote:

If the producer writing this letter isn't even going to address the concerns of the community, why even bother writing the letter in the first place?

Stop writing stupid BS on your Twitter and address the concerns of the community already. We don't care about your stupid double milestone, what time you log in, or how many server firsts you can steal from the community.

With all the wonderful feedback like this, you may not have to worry about another producer letter anytime soon.  At that time, I'm sure you will complain that there's absolutely no communication from SOE at all.

Old 02-18-2010, 11:53 PM   #99
Michayla
Server: Najena
Guild: Valhallas Guard

Loremaster

Nolrog wrote:

[email protected] wrote:

With all the wonderful feedback like this, you may not have to worry about another producer letter anytime soon.  At that time, I'm sure you will complain that there's absolutely no communication from SOE at all.

Communication works both ways, smart guy. You can't communicate with someone effectively unless they respond. This producer's letter is nothing but smoke and mirrors to try to get everyone to shut up. You might be gullible enough to buy into it, but I'm not. It's kind of hard to believe a producer is looking out for the best interests of the community when he spends more time on his Twitter account BSing about stupid stuff than responding to customers genuinely concerned about the game they are paying for. (Remember, without our monthly subscription, they don't have a job. So you DO have a say in what happens, or at least you should.)

Feedback doesn't mean "positive comments only plz!"

Michayla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2010, 10:59 AM   #100
Nolrog

Loremaster

[email protected] wrote:

Feedback doesn't mean "positive comments only plz!"

Feedback from the community doesn't only mean negative comments either.  Works both ways as you say.  There are plenty of ways that tou can express your disappointment, frustration and even anger without being a jerk about it. 

Old 02-25-2010, 11:32 AM   #101
hatname

Loremaster

I beleive the gear in sentinels fate is garbage...worthless...why is that? why did you waste your time on it? nobody is excited about it..Who is in charge with this stuff? What were they thinkin? why would i want to leave my tso gear? Why did you rush it? why didnt you guys just concentrate on sentinels fate rather than focusing on battlegrounds which looks like sentinels fate gear? so many questions

hatname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2010, 03:35 AM   #102
Squoosh
Server: Guk
Guild: Adventure Inc

Hero

Ok you guys REALLY need to start optimizing your engine to work with multi core processors and new 3D technology (i.e. physX) I built a new kick A** system and this game runs like crap on it. My multi core CPU is useless and my geforce 250 1 GB card doen't do much for performance either. It seems when people upgrade their machines this game runs worse for them. Shaders 3.0 is a step in the right direction I suggest multi core support next that would help a lot of people considering most people have multi core CPU's now. Also I dont know what you did with SF but my frame rates suck there it does look any differant but it sure runs differant. If you want to get new players this is a must if they load up the trial and it runs like a slide show they are not going to want to play. I know I consider cancelling my account everytime my framrate drops to un acceptable levels. I read somewhere on these forums that this game is supposed to run better the older it gets this is sooooo not the case. I understance you could not have forseen multi core processors but now is the time to fix that.

Squoosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2010, 09:32 AM   #103
Wingrider01

Loremaster

[email protected] wrote:

Ok you guys REALLY need to start optimizing your engine to work with multi core processors and new 3D technology (i.e. physX) I built a new kick A** system and this game runs like crap on it. My multi core CPU is useless and my geforce 250 1 GB card doen't do much for performance either. It seems when people upgrade their machines this game runs worse for them. Shaders 3.0 is a step in the right direction I suggest multi core support next that would help a lot of people considering most people have multi core CPU's now. Also I dont know what you did with SF but my frame rates suck there it does look any differant but it sure runs differant. If you want to get new players this is a must if they load up the trial and it runs like a slide show they are not going to want to play. I know I consider cancelling my account everytime my framrate drops to un acceptable levels. I read somewhere on these forums that this game is supposed to run better the older it gets this is sooooo not the case. I understance you could not have forseen multi core processors but now is the time to fix that.

might be a good idea to understand SMP coding before you post, they have already have coding in place in the client and started moving threads around between cores, add to the fact the 250 is the very bottom line 2xx series card, not much better then a older 9000 series card. Get 70+ FPS in extremene quality with a I7-980x and Nvidia 295's, drop about 20 FPS in raid. Will be curious to see what I get when I drop the 480's in the box

As far as not seeing multi-core, quess they left their crystal ball in the other set of pants, back when the game came out the processor roadmap detailed out faster single core processors, SMP processors staying in the physical CPU model where the motherboard had multiple physical sockets for procesors, and hyper-threading was the watch word.

Yes Jim, the user has experienced the dreaded PICNIC error

Wingrider01 is offline   Reply With Quote