EQ2 Forum Archive @ EQ2Wire

Go Back   EQ2 Forum Archive @ EQ2Wire > EverQuest II > Altar of Malice Beta > Class Discussion (AoM Beta) > Itemization (AoM Beta)
Members List Search Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 10-13-2014, 10:23 PM   #1
Crychtonn

Are there plans to add these to the daily and weekly quest crates and raid mobs loot tables?

I don't have the time to spend hours on end do mindless harvesting. My limited play time is spent either grouping or raiding. With occasional time on significant quest lines. I know I'm not alone in this.

I'm hoping I won't have to be dumping tons of plat to the bot harvesters.
Crychtonn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2014, 10:30 PM   #2
Arieste

Today was the first day i had off and without raids since this went live. I spent approx 7 hours harvesting a spot that has constant node respawns, so like zero travel downtime. I got not one of these stupid things. And yes, i understand RNG and i understand that i coulda just as easily got one off the first node.. but most people are reporting similar rates. This is brutal. And considering the (likely) absense of such abundant nodes in T11, plus the competition for them.. this is just ridiculous.

I mean, do you guys want to actually encourage botting?
Arieste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2014, 11:35 PM   #3
Soreneck Sarnak

They want to encourage SC.
Soreneck Sarnak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2014, 09:26 AM   #4
Stealthmode

They said at launch of the GM rares. That they are super rare events. If you could get them easily it would devalue their uniqueness.

That said. Maybe find one or 2 a week. That sounds about right. Considering you have what, only 20 ca's to upgrade?
Stealthmode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2014, 10:53 AM   #5
Milliebii

Not sure what class you are playing but a Shadowknight has about 20 spells and 16 CA's to upgrade, admittedly some of these are below level 85 (5 or 6) and then, of course, the level 85-90 CA/spells are about to be replaced and the new ones will require even rarer foundations to Grandmaster. But even so six to nine months should see the job done.
Milliebii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2014, 12:33 PM   #6
Stealthmode

I have about 35 ca's myself, plus a few older ca's that would be GMd IF I can find the masters (they werent in game last I checked) for the component. I was using 20 as a ballpark. Even so. The rare mats for GM are not supposed to drop quickly. You arent supposed to be GM within a few weeks. More like 6-9 months. So unless SoE decides that they want everybody GMd, dont expect them to drop fast, or anywhere near quick.

Thats just my opinion. Otherwise you would have everybody and their cousin fully grandmastered. Within weeks. And that just doesnt strike me as how the GM system was designed or intended to work. Then there is the fail possibility. That eats the master if you fail the combine. And I expect a few surprises and a lot of griefing when this actually starts to happen. I "think" thats why SoE raised the drop rate of masters. But dont quote me.

But um, yeah, I wouldnt get too down that you arent seeing a GM rare within 7 hours. Now if you dont have 1 or 2 by say 70 hours. Then Id /bug it.
Old 10-14-2014, 12:37 PM   #7
Stealthmode

In addition, you are on the beta server. So the nodes may not even have the components in place yet. And yes, hours on end of harvesting is what GM components were supposed to take. Its an investiture, and a timesink, to upgrade your combat arts to a level unattainable through no other method in game. Making you more lethal, holding better agro, or healing the bejesus out of something. *) That shouldnt just be handed to you in a small period of time.
Old 10-14-2014, 04:22 PM   #8
Arieste

Wasn't the uniqueness/rarity thing in reference to the Ancient Tier?

Also.. find 2 a week if you have 10-15 hours to spend harvesting. Which... nobody in their right mind does. For example, that's more hours than most guilds raid per week. Many people don't even play for 15 hours, much less harvest non-stop.
Old 10-14-2014, 04:53 PM   #9
arturos

ya i agree with this my RNG with harvesting is horrid.. so i have consoled myself with the fact that i will be basically raiding with experts compared to someone else's masters. Meh it is what it is.
arturos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2014, 05:40 PM   #10
Crychtonn

I think you and others misunderstood my initial post. My question was if there is a plan to add additional ways to get the items. Like adding them to the daily and weekly quest crates like the Ethereal items. Those are also extremely rare.

As I said if it stays as is and the only way to get the items is from mindless hours of harvesting let me know so I can save up and pay off the harvest bots. I guarantee I'm not the only one that sees it this way. There's a large section of the population that doesn't have the extra time to spend harvesting and find it tedious. I won't be dropping my limited play time to harvest vs running zones and raiding with friends. I find it poor design to have harvesting as the only way to obtain grandmasters.
Old 10-14-2014, 05:46 PM   #11
Stealthmode

Well then theres a market for us harvesters then. Im sorry but no these are gm upgrades. your dungeon/raid drop component is the master ability. the rare for the GM is a harvested super rare. I hope it remains that way, would be stupid to have all the rare components drop in a dungeon.
Old 10-14-2014, 05:48 PM   #12
Stealthmode

Grandmaster isnt for everyone. That was the point of the sink. Master+foundation/shard.

I raid with guild m, t, w 3 hrs a night (9hrs). I play on fri/sat/sun varying hours. So I will prolly have grandmaster abilities. And theres a good many who do play the same way. Im sorry if you only play 5-6 hours an entire week. Masters sound more up your ally if you cant take the time required to farm mats to make a GM.

I am sorry but what Im hearing is we want it handed to us, dont wanna work for it. Its a GM, even adept 3 arent handed to you. Masters arent handed to you. Did you expect GM was gonna be? It takes time. You dont master an ability every day, you dont ad3 an ability every day. Rares take time, and coin for those of you who dont harvest, to acquire. And not everyone is going to find a GM rare very often. Not everyone is intended to be GM, unlike now with masters. Thats why SoE made GM to set a new level to the field to distinguish yourself from others. To be more ubertastic. For those that take the time to farm the mats, or pay the cost to those who do (which I dont think very many are going to be brokering the GM rares, no one in a guild is. Need to upgrade the guild first.

Think of it as a personal challenge thing. Thats how I see it. You have master? Want to be better? Going to have to invest time in that. And not gonna happen overnight, or even more then once or twice a week.
Old 10-14-2014, 05:55 PM   #13
Crychtonn

There fixed that for ya.
Old 10-14-2014, 06:04 PM   #14
Stealthmode

lol. Ok. I think even the botters will be hit in t10. But thats just me thinking out loud. Unless they are following the forums (which they usually dont) they prolly dont even know what a GM rare is.
Old 10-14-2014, 07:11 PM   #15
Crychtonn

By the way I have nothing against botters. I just think it's bad game design to keep adding things that favor botters over normal day to day players. HKC was made as a botters dream zone and this harvest only grandmaster is ideal for botters. If there are no plans to add alternate ways to get these items I personally hope more and more people use harvest bot programs so it's faster and cheaper for me to buy the items off them Wink
Old 10-14-2014, 07:13 PM   #16
Tasburath

As long as raid content is tuned towards masters and doesn't require grandmasters to do the content, then I don't care if they are ultra rare.
Tasburath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2014, 07:30 PM   #17
Arieste

I raid 12 hours a week. 14 if you include pre-post raid prep. I probably play an additional 10-20 hours outside of raids. That 30-35 hours of playtime per week. Almost as much as i work. It's not super hardcore, but I'm thinking it's well above average. I don't have any more time beyond that. So my choices are either to give up raiding, or give up all other play in favour of doing nothing but harvesting. Pretty horrible.

If that's what you're hearing, then you're just projecting your own prejudices. I've no problem working for things, earning things. If every Grandmaster required me to complete a different challenge duo zone, i would embrace it with open arms. Or (if we want to take combat out of it) if i had to do 10 rounds of experimentation on a crafting item. Despite it likely taking longer than the harvesting and being undoable for like 95% of the populace. I would think that to be pretty awesome.

I have no objection to working for stuff and completing difficult challenges to progress. What i have objection to is being subjected to a mindnumbing, simple, challenge-less task for the majority of my playtime just to keep my character current.

Well that's the difference between you and I, i don't find the process of double-clicking for 7 hours straight to be challenging. Just stupid and boring (and possible detrimental to RL health). It's not a challenge, it's a brainless chore that quite literally can be done by a monkey. And can probably done half-decently by one of those bobbing bird thingies that goes up and down and presses the same button for you. I did it yesterday to try it out. Nope, not challenging at all. It's a task tailor-made for botting and farmer sweatshops.

Make it challenging and fun and I'll happily do it for 20 hours per GM instead of 5-10. The problem is not how long it takes. The problem is that's not fun. And spending 10-15 hours a week in a video game NOT having fun is a bad idea.

And btw, these estimates are all low. Because 7 hours i spent was a quick-respawning area, where i had no competition and where i could one-shot the occasional heroic mob that wandered my way. If we're talking competition, hostile area and node scarcity, we're talking like 20 hours per GM.

I haven't done the calculations, but i'm pretty sure it would actually be more practical to farm plat for 5-10 hours, sell the plat, buy the station cash and upgrade your spell to GM. Aside from the fact that the gain rate would be guaranteed (vs. RNG on nodes), i think it might actually take less time. This is an absolutely terrible "optimal gameplay" concept to encourage.
Old 10-14-2014, 07:41 PM   #18
Crychtonn

I would so do this if I could find people that sold SC cards for plat. Almost all the people that used to sell SC card are gone and I can't remember the last time I saw someone trying to sell one Frown
Old 10-14-2014, 07:53 PM   #19
Stealthmode

Btw Arieste. Shame on you for double clicking your mouse on harvest nodes. If you are this is why you arent getting GM rares.

The "f" key (use) is your friend. Hover the node, and F. I usually double tap it, once at start, and once near end, just cause, I like to.

The "delay" in harvesting using a mouse double click versus using the f key, I dont know why, but I ding back to back t9 rares *black sapphire diamonds* at times like this from same node. And I have 2 GM rares. But no recipes yet. Thats why I was saying about 2 a week. Since GM went live. Ive found 2.

You play more then me btw. Those fri/sat/sun are grouping, quest clearing, building my home back up, and when I get bored with the other stuff, a few hours harvesting.

And I am assuming you are using the pegasus flyer mount for far seas (bonus stats to harvest), cloak, earring, chestpiece, etc. to boost your harvesting skills and stats? Thats what Im doing. Macrod crafting, macrod harvesting, macrod raid gear.
Old 10-14-2014, 09:09 PM   #20
Atan

Again, they should be available via salvaging just like other TS rares. So you can get what you need adventuring, just not as fast or reliably as harvest grinding.
Atan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2014, 10:56 PM   #21
Laita

You call harvest grinding fast an reliable?! I've spent over 20 hours harvesting, have obtained over 500 rares but only a single spellshard and no foundations... I hardly call that fast or reliable...
Laita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2014, 01:11 AM   #22
Stealthmode

Omg that is priceless!
Old 10-15-2014, 08:06 AM   #23
Arieste

I'm aware, that's what i meant by getting one of these:

[IMG]
Old 10-15-2014, 03:09 PM   #24
Arieste

to get the full effect, you need to chant along outloud every time "y..y..y..y..y" (feel free to throw an "SOE" in between too!)

BigGrin
Old 10-15-2014, 03:20 PM   #25
Foretold

I'll admit, I was really motivated to get out there and harvest these rares. After close to 30 hours of harvesting, with little to show for it, I'm over it. I'm going to part with some of my "plat savings" and buy them.

I've put off doing NOTD to harvest. I've put off earning quad etyma to harvest. I've put off grouping with friends to harvest. I'm done not having fun. Screw this.
Foretold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2014, 03:28 PM   #26
Arieste

uhm.. totally unrelated, but just noticed your sig and your Rat Warlock has (almost) the same last name as my Rat Warlock! zomg! Rat powa! Smile (http://u.eq2wire.com/soe/character_detail/871881501753)

now back to your regularly scheduled itching
Old 10-15-2014, 03:29 PM   #27
Foretold

Heheh now that is awesome BigGrin

Still not harvesting any more... Tongue
Foretold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2014, 05:19 PM   #28
Stealthmode

On a lighter note, today on AB one of the crafters/harvesters went out for 2 hours. And got a GM rare. And average price for 90-95 foundations? Auctions starting at 1000pp on AB.
Old 10-17-2014, 03:53 PM   #29
bakataumana

Personally i have yet to see a logical complaint here... for xpac after xpac SOE has talked about making things crafter oriented...i personally spend 18 hours a week raiding or more and find profit in raiding (whether we sell gear and split or my gear allows me to run harder zones faster and sell gear). This being said i get frustrated harvesting and getting nothing but hey aside from the botters there are non raiders out there who enjoy crafting and making their plat that way so let them have it. anyone raiding and playing the game near 30-50 hours a week should easily be able to farm the plat (assuming they arent already hording it) to buy either the ultra rares or the actual GM's off the broker.... I could be mistaken but im fairly sure SOE doesnt look to kindly on the bot farmers.....there might just be a command for that but hey im a raider what do i know Smile
bakataumana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2014, 05:45 PM   #30
Arieste

There are also plenty of raiders that enjoy crafting and making plat from it. But NO ONE i know - crafter, raider, casual, hardcore, etc - ENJOYS harvesting for 20+ hours a week. That has very little to do with crafting anything. Maybe there are a few people that do, after all I've not met everyone that plays. But even for crafters - one the biggest crafter complaints over the years has been the non-stop harvesting questline. No one likes THAT MUCH harvesting. Not fun, not challenging.

Even for a hardcore crafter, I'm fairly sure that you can make more money doing other crafting for 20 hours.