EQ2 Forum Archive @ EQ2Wire

Go Back   EQ2 Forum Archive @ EQ2Wire > EverQuest II > The Development Corner > Developer Roundtable
Members List Search Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 12-10-2008, 10:58 PM   #1
Rothgar

Developer

I'd like to hear your opinions on the current "Looking to group" window. 

Do you use it? 

What do you like about it? 

What do you NOT like about it? 

Do you have any suggestions for making it better?

Rothgar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2008, 11:01 PM   #2
Spyderbite
Server: Venekor
Guild: Dark Vengeance

Loremaster

Useless.

I have no problems finding a group. Never needed it. I use the guild chat to form groups and am usually up and running inside of 10 minutes.

Great thought when going from level 1-20 took a bit of time.. but these days people are in guilds by level 20.

Spyderbite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2008, 11:09 PM   #3
Eu
Server: Befallen
Guild: Blood Realm

General

It is not useless, it is however more complicated then the LFG window of the past. That said, the ability to specify the role you hope to play within a group is very helpful.

What bothers me, and this might have nothing to do with the LFG window and more with play style, but since the release of the new LFG window, there seems to be far fewer players utilizing the tag.

Eu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2008, 11:14 PM   #4
Xalmat

EQ2Achieve.com

Rarely if ever use it. It's easier to go into the server channels (level 70-79) and say "Level XX Soandso LFG"

Sess, Conjuror of PermafrostCyanide, Berserker of Permafrost
Xalmat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2008, 11:22 PM   #5
Eu
Server: Befallen
Guild: Blood Realm

General

Xalmat wrote:

Rarely if ever use it. It's easier to go into the server channels (level 70-79) and say "Level XX Soandso LFG"

There are times when broadcasting on the channels does bring a tad more interest. However, I have been able to find many groups by using the "Groups looking for more" option.

So overall, I both use and like the LFGwindow and have now suggestions as to how to improve it.

Eu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2008, 12:05 AM   #6
iceriven2

Loremaster

its a good window there just isnt much need for it with the chat channels. 

Biggest problems with grps is the lack of classes needed to do stuff... if a new lfg window can spawn a  tank for a grp then i am game!

iceriven2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2008, 12:33 AM   #7
Ashad

Loremaster

What if you could put all your alts up as well. Say you are on your level 20 tradeskiller alt, but you'd love to group with either your 80 Conjurer or your 50 Fury ... you can put all of them up for LFG. I know right now my main has little to do outside of groups, but its boring to sit being LFG for hours on end so I tradeskill or what have you until a group is found normally.

Webmaster of EQII Home & Garden, Norrath's premier housing resource and catalog

http://www.eq2hg.com
Ashad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2008, 12:55 AM   #8
Calthine

ZAM EQII

I never use it.  I'd like to see the "LFW" features given more flexibility, though.

Please visit my non-gaming Blog! or follow me on Twitter!

Calthine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2008, 01:01 AM   #9
Sykophrog

Loremaster

It's probly too late to change people's habits at this point but I remember before the new interface with LFG that there used to be a wider usage of the "LFG" tag.

When all you had to do for LFG was type in /lfg and it tagged you it seemed more folks showed up on a "/who all lfg" search than currently.  Now this could simply be my own experience with it, but I havent found much use for the new interface beyond the GFM (group looking for more) feature.

Personally, I'd much rather have /lfg just tag you "LFG" instead of opening up that window and having to use that interface for a simple status flag.  I'd prefer being able to do a simple tag with a 4-key combination, and then IF I wish to have a larger interface to search for others I could open it, or leave it be if I choose not to.

from Iconoclast (Permafrost)
Sykophrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2008, 01:17 AM   #10
Thundy

Loremaster

The window is just fine, but it's useless since everyone just uses the chat channels anyway.

Please don't waste development cycles revamping this thing (again) because people will just not use it.

Thundy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2008, 01:39 AM   #11
Brook

Tester

If you really want to add some functionality to the window have a tab to display full patch notes daily so we don't have to pull our hair out trying to figure out the stealth changes (fixes?) yall put in SMILEY

It would probably have found more use if you guys hadn't turned this into basically a solo game, otherwise its fine as it is.

On another note, how bout fixing the low mem mode problem instead.. its really irritating.

But seriously, you're the kind of guy that zones into gears without a healer and spends the whole match talking about the fact there isn't a healer instead of contributing. I hate you, and everyone like you that plays this game. Please spend less time whining and more time winning, it contributes to the general growth of the game and makes gameplay more enjoyable for all.

Brook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2008, 03:29 AM   #12
xfres

General

The lfg tool is probably one of the best tools this game has to offer, the only problem is that hardly anyone uses it.  Here are some of my experiences with the lfg tool:

-If a player has set their default to "Anonymous" then they can't show up within the lfg tool.  When the tool was first introduced, a lot of people were asking, "why doesnt my name show up in the lfg window" when their default was anonymous.  In the past, players set their tag to Anonymous to avoid spam, "ninja" group invites, or to avoid from letting other players who have added them to their friends list to see what zone they are in.  I think the mindset of the general player base is that they need to be tagged as anonymous, because of past experiences.  Possible SOLUTION, re-introduce/advertise in game the usage and benefits of the lfg tool.

-Most people just post in chat windows that they are lfg.  I have no idea why this is the most accepted method for lfg in this game, personally I can't stand it.  Since the bulk of our community chose not to use this tool in the past, now many people dont even bother checking it for other players lfg.  Possible SOLUTION, provide a tracking system that displays how many groups a player has started and accepted to join.  Then offer rewards once they hit a certain mark, such as a useful item, nice looking cloak, item adornment, etc.  Yes people will abuse this system to get the reward, but they will have to use the tool to get the reward and hopefully this will create a new habit for them searching for things to do.

-It's not easy getting a group on the two servers that I play on, unless it's guildys.  There are a lot of reasons to blame for the lack of grouping, but to stay on topic a good reason is that many people don't like to start/lead a group.  Possible SOLUTION  A good way to bring more players together is to allow the lfg tool to display a players alts/main when just one of their characters are online.  The player can enter information about each of their characters in the lfg tool for what they prefer to do.  When a player is online and has multiple alts with their preferences set within the lfg tool, another player will see a lot more options for things to do and others to group with.  When another player searches the lfg tool, they can simply click on the alt or main charcter listed within the lfg tool, to send a tell directly to the character that is online.  I have 6 characters on my account and I do a lot of sitting around looking for people to hang out with.  If other players were able to see that I have other characters looking for things to do, I think there would be much more group opportunities for me.

I hope others can offer ideas as well, I'd love to see this tool be used more often as intended.

xfres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2008, 05:18 AM   #13
Besual

Loremaster

I don't use it.

I don't mind PUGs but typing /lfg and get annyoed by the window I turn LFG on less and less and just use the chat channels.

My suggestions:

/lfg should just toggle your LFG flag. Add a new command like /lfg_options to bring up the window. The window should add / show your timers and we should be able save some comments like zones we prefer / are not willing to do or quest steps we are working on. Enter such data every time... nope, better not to use the window at all and just use the chat channels.

Just my 2c.

Brigant 90 / Alchemist 90
Coercer 90 / Sage 90
Besual is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2008, 06:42 AM   #14
TheSpin

Loremaster

3 Pieces of feedback for you:

I would prefer if it was easier to turn on (LFG)  and I didn't have to use the window to do it.

Being able to display characters on your account that you aren't actively playing would be a good feature.  I would like to be able to look for a group on my 80 while solo questing on a lower level alt.

I think that the "willing to mentor" checkbox should be checked off by default.

TheSpin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2008, 07:41 AM   #15
KerowynnKaotic

Tormentor of Fae

Calthine wrote:

I never use it.  I'd like to see the "LFW" features given more flexibility, though.

QFE!!!   "LFW" Love Please!  ..

( .. I don't use the LFG window either .. but that's cause I'm either solo'g with myself (alt box) or grouping with my hubby .. or grouping with friends .. Don't need to find more weirdos to hang with .. I have enough of them .. )

KerowynnKaotic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2008, 07:57 AM   #16
Calain80

Loremaster

I really like the enhanced LFG Window, but do I use it? very seldom. Here is why: 1st It came to late. The really old LFG window was useless so all people started to search for groups in the level channels. After doing so for two years? the new window was implemented. While it is great almost everybody was accustomed to lfg / lfm in the level channels which works quite well most of the time. So they stayed with this. Old habits die hard. 2nd, as far as I know the default UI still shows the old lfg window first with the need to press the advanced button to get to the "real" lfg window. So even if one wants to try out the ingame lfg functionality they see the basic window and how bad it is and stop there going to the channel. It would be a lot better if the advanced window would pop up directly. 3rd due to the first two reasons there are seldom more then 5 people lfg (whole server). So using this tool does not help much. It's the old "the chicken or the egg" problem. 'Cause almost no one uses it, you will not find a group / player by it. And 'cause you won't find a player / group most of the time, almost no one uses it. 4th I have the luxury of having a lot of IG friends. Often I get an invitation for a group just after saying hello in guild / raid ally channels. As I already know these people it makes grouping easier, 'cause I know how they will react to certain situations. If you are able to build a whole group with friends, it reduces the need of the LFG window. All in all I think the advanced LFG / LFM window is well done. It is only underused due to coming to late. :-/ I have still a few suggestions: Add a way to lfg with you alts. I have seen people withe all there alts in the lfg text line. But as far as I know this text is lost every time you log. Also if you filter, 'cause you only need special roles filled up, these people will show as "no not fit" even if they are also LFG with an alt that may fit perfectly. This would also be the greatest bonus of the lfg window, as you can't read the level 70-79 chat if you are leveling a lower level twink while you are waiting for a group. If this would be implemented and communicated, it may help the lfg to catch up on the "channel search". Remove the basic lfg window completely. If you type /lfg /lfm ot open the LFG window through the menu it should directly start with the advanced window. Set the "I will Mentor" option to "off" by default. It would be nice if double clicking a name in the search result would start a tell to the player. (May be an other char if it is an alt showing up). if you set an LFG / LFG filter and a new player / group is added that fits that filter (full stars only) some kind of notification without the need to refresh the search every 30s or so would be nice. (Maybe even a big (optional) on screen message.) This is all I can think of now. SMILEY
Calain80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2008, 08:01 AM   #17
Sinder65

Loremaster

The window is useless, players would rather use a channel and /who commands to create groups themselves.

Also when you type /LFG it brings up that window, would be easier for it just to flag you LFG. You should be able to put a default list of content or roles your class performs and it flags as that every time. It should also kick you out of anon.

Old 12-11-2008, 09:31 AM   #18
chily

Loremaster

xfreshx wrote:

-If a player has set their default to "Anonymous" then they can't show up within the lfg tool.  When the tool was first introduced, a lot of people were asking, "why doesnt my name show up in the lfg window" when their default was anonymous.  In the past, players set their tag to Anonymous to avoid spam, "ninja" group invites, or to avoid from letting other players who have added them to their friends list to see what zone they are in.  I think the mindset of the general player base is that they need to be tagged as anonymous, because of past experiences.  Possible SOLUTION, re-introduce/advertise in game the usage and benefits of the lfg tool.

If someone is anon the most time ok, but when he/she starts to look for a group it there should be a warning box or so that reminds about anon or role on.

Some ppl think that they get asked about class and level if they show up in the lfg window but i doubt any of em get asked unless they know each other but for that they don't need lfg.

the spamming in channels is defo more common, and those *shouts* are either in the 70-79 channel or in the 1 - 9 channel to grab ppl from alts too.

Chillispike 80 SK, Guildleader of Boogie Knights @ Splitpaw and EQ2iAdmin

Sanji 80 Coercer @ Splitpaw

I just don't use Station Cash.

chily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2008, 10:21 AM   #19
Quicksilver74

Loremaster

Never use it.   I've tried a few times, nobody is ever there. 

Suggestions to making it better:

1) It'd be nice to be able to inspect a player through the window- see if they have good gear or if they have their epic...  could be helpfull if you want to find the best fit for your group; and vice versa,  the LFG player can check out the group that wants him BEFORE accepting the invite.

2) Maybe some way of a group summoning you to them through the LFG window, or at least into the same zone that the group is in.   in TSO, groups might be doing everfrost, and you might be in moors.   Not all players have a guild hall yet, and maybe if at least 3-4 people are in a zone, you can pull new people through the LFG window to the entrance of the proper zone?  Would be different than call of the hero, but still usefull. 

3) Spell Quality - it'd be nice to know if a potential group mate is running apprentice 1 spells, adepts, or masters before inviting them.  Maybe give the option to allow or disallow potential players through LFG window to see your spell quality. 

Quicksilver74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2008, 10:34 AM   #20
Shikome
Server: Storms

Loremaster

[email protected] Bazaar wrote:

1) It'd be nice to be able to inspect a player through the window- see if they have good gear or if they have their epic...  could be helpfull if you want to find the best fit for your group; and vice versa,  the LFG player can check out the group that wants him BEFORE accepting the invite.

Do you thing a good geared player is a good group player? i'm on a raiding guild and have seen a lot of people well geared with mastercrafted, TSO, fabled  that play as a bunny rabbit. I have on my friend list a lot of not ubber megazor suited guy who play pretty well. This is a mentality i hate so much "only ubber to make my group".

2) Maybe some way of a group summoning you to them through the LFG window, or at least into the same zone that the group is in.   in TSO, groups might be doing everfrost, and you might be in moors.   Not all players have a guild hall yet, and maybe if at least 3-4 people are in a zone, you can pull new people through the LFG window to the entrance of the proper zone?  Would be different than call of the hero, but still usefull. 

And used so much to teleport friend, dudes to make a named, camp a monster, this was the same idea when i was on eq1 to make manaburn team, teleport kill and byebye.

3) Spell Quality - it'd be nice to know if a potential group mate is running apprentice 1 spells, adepts, or masters before inviting them.  Maybe give the option to allow or disallow potential players through LFG window to see your spell quality. 

Do you think spell make all ? how you manage a necro or an assassin ? it's not depending on adept 1 or 3 spell or gear but selection of bonus stats, quality of weapon and CO (Casting Order) not for a spell quality.

By the way, i used before this LFG window but i think it's too complicated, a good way to improve it will be to make a version of this LFG for quest. A lot of people have heroic quest sleeping on our quest journal just because it's boring to run everywhere finding people interested making it. Why not having a button or something in front of quest saying "Search Quest Member" to find people who are interested grouping to make it ?

Shikome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2008, 10:40 AM   #21
Powers

Loremaster

The LFG window is great.  The problem is that not enough people use it.  There needs to be some sort of concrete incentive for using the tool, in order to acheive a critical mass of users.  After that critical mass is acheived, it should be self-sustaining.

An LFW tool similar to the LFG tool would be fantastic, and I think potentially it would get a lot of use -- especially if you had thought to include one when the Master crafting quests went live, or when the group crafting quests went live.

(While you're looking at related topics, though, can I please reiterate that the /roleplay switch should not hide class and level?  Just because we're roleplayers doesn't mean we want people to skip over us on a "/who all lfw" search because they can't see our class and level.)

Powers  &8^]

Powers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2008, 10:57 AM   #22
Hollyf
Server: Blackburrow
Guild: Guardians of the Light

General

My opinion re this, if I may -

1. There was a time when I used it often but I do not any longer.

2. I like everything about it; it is fine the way it is without considering any possible changes to it.

3. I do not have any dislikes about it, save for the fact that, along with some of the op's thoughts, it is not used enough by others.

4. I am sure there are some suggestions I may have to help make it better but I would need to think on it more. What it all comes down to is that a certain aspect of the game may be fine the way it is but if no one is making use of it, what difference would it make to make changes to it? This reminds me of the phrase, "If it's not broken, don't .... with it."

Hollyf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2008, 11:28 AM   #23
Bratface

Loremaster

I have never needed to use it since I have a perma group I always play with, if I can't play with my group I tradeskill or do something non-group.

But now with TS missions it would be nice to have a mechanic to find other tradeskillers for missions.

For both adv and TS it would be great if we could list other toons on our accounts while not on them, giving us more flexibility in finding more groups for any of our characters, not just the one we are on at the moment.

OT but when you decide to upgrade the broker search I have a ton of things for that subject that could make it a much better tool for more people.

Bratface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2008, 11:39 AM   #24
Leucippus

Loremaster

I can not remember the last time I used this LFG window feature of the game.

Being able to list alts, even if they are on a different account, might help, a little.

However, here is the main problem I see with LFG in the game currently. Look at this situation in the context of the TSO instances.

(1) There is no way to judge player skill based on in information presented before you play with them a while.

(2) There is no way to know what classes and levels (skill) are in a group before joining a group.

(3) There is no way for players to judge their current skill in playing a class.

(4) Instances have far two few restrictions on who they allow to enter.

Point (1) results, partially, from have both character levels and AA points. You can see a toon is level 80, but there are 200 "levels" above level 80 now, the AA points. It would be nice to have some measure of a toons AA and equipment choices. Nothing can be done about weeding out slackers, unfortunately, but at least one could weed out those that leveled from 60 to 80 turning in collection quests.

On point (2) , a player looking to join a group should be able to see who is in the group before joining it. The anonymous and roleplaying flags are bad enough. Some of the instances are so rough, only very specific class setups have any chance of completing them.

Point (3) is a bit subtle. There are many toons who I am sure think they are doing their very best. However, their performance is far, far below the classes potential. There needs to be a way for each class to judge its performance, and improve it, in a solo setting. Training npcs would be good for helping to fix this situation. There should not be 500 dps level 80 wizards and rangers out there. Also, there needs to be a "dps meter" in the game. Having to rely on Advanced Combat Tracker is not acceptable. Such a meter should not be limited to dps either, various other metrics exists also.

Point (4) It is completely inexcusable that zones that required experienced raiders with 140+ AA points to even have a shot at completing allows any old toon into them in the first place! I am so tired at this situation that I cringe at the though of a pick up group at this point, and I usually group in pickup groups! In one group, the group's dps was an astounding 26K on on encounter for an 11 minute fight! The previous group's was peaking at 3.5K, if that; my wizard, alone, can come close to hitting that dps level; and the "tank", well, at least continuously bouncing aggro gave me lots of practice healing.

Well this post is running on and starting to ramble, so I should continue.

I think the developers point in starting this thread is to try to gather information on why pickup groups are all but dead now. I for one am an advocate of server mergers, but I am not sure server mergers would help, much, at this point.

Face it people, there have to be many, many more solo, yes solo, access quests in this game! No more pulling the slackers along. Remember those level 20 required class quests when the game was first released? Something along those lines needs to be reintroduced as access quests in the game.

DPS should be able to DPS before being allowed to enter a dungeon.

Healers should be able to heal before being allowed to enter a dungeon.

Tanks have it rough, then need to be able to soak up damage, hold aggro, and pull and position mobs before being allowed to enter a dungeon.

On to a different problem killing pickup groups. These encounters with increasing toughness the longer the encounter drags on have to stop. The mob Sandstorm in Maidens may have single handedly killed off pickup groups; I am not impressed how all the other mobs in the zone were "tweaked", but he was not. (I really should make a snide comment about scouts vs mages here btw). There should be no mobs that require the mob to be stun and stifled locked to defeat. (note: scouts and enchanters can acomplish this crippling of the mob but the other 4 dps classes.... well, no I am not bitter, not at all)

Despite my rant in the above, my point is: adds should trigger at percentage of health, not as time passes. Killing a mob fast should never prevent adds from popping. Adds should not be able to pile up over time. There should be nothing that causes a mob's damage output to increase without limit over time. There should be no encounter that is little more than a dps meter; i.e. there should not be an encounter with a minimum required dps to defeat; i.e. running out of mana and loosing is fine, not being able to sustain 26K dps over an 11 minute fight and loosing is not fine. Also, mobs that heal continously without being stifled / stunned are not acceptable either; having to click things to prevent heals is fine; not dying to prevent heals is fine, but having to stun and stifle lock a mob to prevent heals is not. Hmm, required mobs to be mezzed to successfully complete an encounter is not acceptable either.

On to a different topic, I am not done yet. You know those pop-up message in green or red text? They have to be placed in the chat window so people can see them! Those popup messages are critically important to beating some encounters and need to be in the chat windows. And they absoultely must be presented immediately; not queued behind who know what other popup message.

Nope, not done yet! I suspect the overwhelming majority of players don't even know this feature of the game exists! All those detrimental effects that get put on you, they need to be put in the chat window too! Having to mouse over an icon that flashes on the screen for a second or two is unacceptable! For those that don't know, you can hover over most icons on the screen and get a description of the effect. This feature is most useful when targeting a mob (works on the mobs buffs too) or looking at your detrimental effects.

Still more: get rid of these "epic" heroics. These heroic mobs that are immune to control effects, just put the epic x1 flag on them and be done with it already.

Well, I am tired of rambling (and why is there and extra blank line between paragraphs anyway), and must stop.

-Leucippus

Old 12-11-2008, 11:49 AM   #25
Sharakari
Server: Unrest
Guild: Shadovar

Loremaster

Went to use it for the first time in a group a couple days ago.  Group leader went AFK and asked me to find someone.  When I tried, it said "Only the group leader can search for players"...... that's just dumb.

Old 12-11-2008, 12:00 PM   #26
Rhak
Server: Guk
Guild: Order of the Fox

General

Get more players into the game first (via advertising, putting copies of the game onto shelves, getting rid of SC, whatever), and then the LFG window might actually be used more. Until then, as already stated, nobody uses it because nobody uses it. And making the /lfg window better won't help any at all.

The Edge of Forever Bar and Grill - 2 Lucie Street, South Qeynos, Guk Server

Rhak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2008, 12:04 PM   #27
Morgonn

Loremaster

I don't use the window nearly as much as I used to since it seems to get few or no responses any more.  I don't think there's a problem with the window itself so much as that players tend to use the chat channels to LFG.  I would far prefer the window, especially for those times when channel chat degenerates (seems to do that a lot), but players just don't use it.

Morgonn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2008, 01:25 PM   #28
Naughtesn

General

Culture has it that 99% of the people use chat channels.  Make it easier to use--the huge window is a big pain.

Echoing a suggestion of others - being able to add your alts would be nice.

Hausbau, 80 Coercer
Naughtesn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2008, 01:31 PM   #29
Denon

Loremaster

This is the deal:

People are having problems getting Pick Up Groups for TSO instances.

It is not because of a lack of a good LFG system. It is because Pick Up Groups do not work well with TSO instances where everyone needs to know the strategies and get better gear, learn harder strategies to do the harder instances.

The concept behind the TSO instances is great if you already have a group of people you play with on a regular basis, but terrible for the type of groups you would use a LFG system for. So it does not matter how good you make the LFG window, the new content simply is bad for this type of grouping.

----------------------- [ Permafrost Server] -----------------
Thomm ... Qeynos 92/320 Troubador, 92 Carpenter, T9 (450) Transmuter
Denon ..... Qeynos 90/320 Warden, 90 Tailor
Draziw ..... Freeport 92/320 Wizard, 90 Sage
Jacuzzi .... Freeport 92/320 Necromancer, 90 Woodworker
Steab ...... Qeynos 92/320 Guardian, 90 Armorer, T9 (450) Tinker
----------------------------------------------------------------

.....(-.-).....

Denon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2008, 01:45 PM   #30
Dreyco

Archive of Ik

I actually think it functions great, if it does as it's supposed to, and displays all the information.

I've used it quite a bit since TSO came out.

Grand Historian of The Archive of Ik
Dreyco is offline   Reply With Quote