View Single Post
Old 04-14-2005, 11:53 PM   #8
LobaLobaLo

Fennir wrote:
Low expectations for game quality?  Sorry, we can't possibly be playing the same game if you honestly think of EQ2 as a low quality.

Look, it's hard enough to make a good computer game for ONE person to play at a time, let alone 5, 10, 20, or thousands, and sometimes I just don't know how they do it.

What I DO know, however, is that I would never, in a million years, want to be a MMOG developer, especially one obviously under pressure from the producers to release an unfinished game in time to fare well against its upcoming competition (something that happens to many game developers, including most of the online games I've played recently).

All I can do is read what the developers have to say, and pay attention to the changes they make.  The only feeling I get from doing that, is that these devs care very much about their game and the enjoyment we get from playing it.  And every single time they patch, they fix something I consider broken.  Do they sometimes break other things or fail to fix the original problem?  Yes, but what do you expect when you have a game running on the sheer amount of code this one has to?

No MMOG will ever turn out in practice the way it did in the developers minds when they came up with it and started coding it.  The people who play them are just too resourceful for that to ever happen. If people figure out ways to exploit the current system beyond the devs intentions (as they have), you can bet your *$%#&! it will be changed.  At least this time they've admitted they need a total revamp instead of just trying to throw bandaids at the problem, which they've done some of in the past.

Let me put it this way:  IMO, this game is well worth what I paid up front, and what I pay monthly.  If I ever think it's not, I'll stop paying for it.  No one is forcing you to pay or play.

Message Edited by Fennir on 04-14-2005 03:13 PM

You give way too much credit way too easily.  Not sure what generation you're part of, but it used to be that developers could make a combat system that would work without chronic patching.  It really wouldn't be hard to extrapolate from an old Wizardy combat system, for example.  MMORPGs are just hybrid MUD-FPSs -- nothing new, really.

But your last point is right.  No one forces anyone to play.  Only thing that kinda sucks is that, if you dig the concept of the genre, no one is offering better at the moment.

LobaLobaLo is offline   Reply With Quote