View Single Post
Old 03-13-2008, 10:19 PM   #9
LightCC

Loremaster

This is a very excellent guide, and pretty much mimics what I did with my warlock from 10-70+ (She's 80 now).  I have a few comments to add to the guide. First of all, with the AAs, consider getting the removals line on the warlock page.  The STR/INT debuff helps to reduce their damage (lower INT), and casting it twice as fast and adding 40% more debuff has a noticable effect.  The same is true of the Max health/power debuff.  It's difficult to tell because it doesn't change the percentage of health/power, only the total health/power pool of the mob.  But after casting this the mob will die with less total damage.  Cutting it's casting time from 2 s to 1 s and adding 40% more debuff is very useful (not to mention if you cast these 2 debuffs every time you will be literally overflowing with void crystals and find yourself deleting stacks of them instead of complaining about them all the time). In addition, the great thing about debuffs is they they will not break root.  So you can start off with 2 spells that are guaranteed to not break it on the initial attack.  I really noticed the effect of this when I first started RoK and all the mobs were very difficult (before I started getting all the quest reward equipment).  The STR/INT debuff meant that if they did break root and hit me, it wasn't for as much damage. That brings us to the final for removals - add 20% range and remove 20% range from the mob.  Most folks would consider this a raid ability, but the most difficult mobs I found to solo were named that have range magic attacks (you avoid auto-attack with root, but they still do a lot of damage).  By using the final ability, you can step back out of range and still land your spells - although you need to have some space available to make this work (most spells have a 35m range so it lowers the mobs range to 28 m and increases yours to 42 m. --------- Now then, what about equipment?  You covered specific items, let's talk general equipment.  Most sorcerers go for INT over all else - this is bad mojo as a solo or tanking warlock.  Make sure you always get the STA/INT versions of crafted or mastercrafted armor (some of the earliest tiers this isn't always available).  The tranquil MC armor, for example, only has +INT and only +power - that's crazy!  You need STA and especially +health to survive.  Also, try to avoid the INT/WIS/STA versions - while WIS adds a bit to your resists, it's not worth the loss in INT and STA compared to the STA/INT only versions.  Although look at all the pieces if you can, in a few tiers I mixed an matched a bit because some of the crafted pieces have higher resists than others.  Also, note that some of the pieces may have limited possibilities (I think the hats are always only STA/INT/WIS version). With the STA line and STR lines and all mastercrafted STA/INT equipment, you can get mitigations AND avoidances in the 40-45% range, which will actually make you a BETTER tank than poorly equipped plate classes (those in only treasured, etc.).  There were several groups I was in on my way up where I was better stats than secondary tanks and certainly scouts.  I'd be on par or better than decently equipped tanks who were in offensive too. --------- Now then, let's broach the subject of a warlock actually tanking for a group.  It is certainly doable if you have MC or better equipment and are spec'd right (once you can get to 40-45% mit and avoid self-buffed - you can be 45-50% with healer buffs).  Duo'ing or trio'ing with a healer and another dps works famously well on up to even con mobs.  Basically go for mobs about 2 levels or one color less than you would with a *good* plate tank. I had several healers on my journey from 10-70 that after duoing or trio'ing with me told me to give them a shout any time to do it again  SMILEY Most people, for some odd reason, are against a warlock tanking for the group.  So it can be hard to get a group of 5 or 6 together that will actually let you tank.  But when you do, you will change some minds - if you are good.  My only real full group I tanked for was a Deathfist Citadel group.  We had a druid healer, 4 other dps, and myself.  We were all about levels 40-42 so most of the mobs were blue (I was 42 I think.  The important part here is to make sure you have adept 3s and masters on the spells - if you do, and you have worked hard questing to have plenty of AAs, you will outdamage everyone and keep aggro without any taunts.  I was able to use manashield a few times to save a wipe when a plate tank couldn't have (too many adds, etc.), and we only wiped a few times - mostly from the group getting separated.  The only wipe we had on an intentional pull was on Fyst when his knockback blew me off the top of the building.  SMILEY  But again, most of the mobs were only blue.  And with 5 DPS in the group we really tore through things. ---------- Finally, what order should you get your AAs in, if you are working your way up? I started with the STA line, and then went for focused casting.  I think these 2 are the keys for solo'ing for all the reasons mentioned in the original article.  Manashield can be cast while running, so don't forget to use this if you are fleeing a battle and low on health.  The key here is to *not* sprint, which will deplete your power pool and reduce the damage you can take with manashield.  If you turn off autoattack and 'yell' for help, you should be able to jump back up to mount speed for running away (if you have been able to get one!).  Add manashield and there were very few times I died running away, unless I was already low on power from the fight (or in the middle of a dungeon). After those two, I would go with the STR line to get the +parry.  As far as the final STR ability, it is not very useful in solo, because it only works for crit on one spell and costs too much health to make it worth it.  It is nice for raiding since you will normally be healed during the battle anyway, but I still chose a different final over it once I had 70 AAs available for that page.  (also, at 80 with good equipment, you will have a 30-50% crit ability anyway raid buffed - so getting 100% for one spell isn't that big an improvement - average increase in damage for a crit is about 40%). After this it's really just what you want to do.  Your style of play will dictate. If you group a lot, the Protection line is nice (+25% to your tanks taunts and your deaggros).  Put that with INT if you do a lot of pickup groups (with bad tanks with poor equipment that don't hold aggro well), and when you do pull aggro you will lose it very quickly...  If you are set up as a battlemage you will probably survive as well as the tank did anyway. I loved being in a group with my battlemage setup when we would get adds... I would preemptively start chaostorm or equivalent (the quick blue aoe) and pull an add or two just to make sure they didn't go for the healer.  I could take hits ok, had manashield for an emergency, and often the tank couldn't have taken all the adds at once anyway.  It worked beautifully and the funny thing is, most groups had no clue that you were the one really saving the group.  You could always tell them if you wanted, but no guarantee anyone would believe it.  SMILEY  I always did use a macro to tell the group when I hit manashield - mainly so the healer would know they needed to heal me even though my health wasn't dropping.  If I remember right, when manashield is up heals will actually increase your power, heh.  Maybe your health has to be max before it will do that, but I remember it happening.  SMILEY I do need to get one of those AA mirrors.  This post has reminded me how fun tanking as a warlock can be.  It's been a few months - I did respec when RoK came out and got my tanking self back out for a while.  It would be nice to be able to do that any time I want to go out soloing  SMILEY
LightCC is offline   Reply With Quote