View Single Post
Old 05-21-2007, 10:58 AM   #25
Firam

General

shaunfletcher wrote:

I dont favour anything which allows players to effectively hide who they are in a way that differentiates them from most others.

Level locking at least has a justification, but its COST is the fact it hides real strength from other players. This change regards that "lie" as a benefit, whereas to me its all cost.

I would envisage its primary use in practice (I am not doubting the OPs good intention) being in letting the player pretend to be somewhat noobish, while being in fact of a high standard. Boomz and Bangz wandering around without titles? I dont like that idea at all. They ARE tough killers with a huge reputation, why should they not be evidently that? Whats the bad side?

I dont see it reducing the problems with PVP at all, because the sort of players who would use it honestly arent the sort who play unfairly anyway.

A good player's reputation preceeds them. And if you're unguilded, or mostly solo, and don't experience enough PvP to know who's good and who's not... then why do you deserve to know at a glance who is better than another person? And of course this all assumes that a high title equates to skill.  Which we all know not to be true.  There are very mediocre rangers, swashbucklers, and brigands walking around with Dreadnaught (or higher, depending on how much of a weasel they want to be), and exceptional coercers who will never see anything higher than Destroyer just due to the reality of their class. This is the Information Age, my friend, there are plenty of sources of "research" available to lay down a good groundwork of who's skilled and who's not.  Or, *gasp*, we can go out and fight one another and figure it out for ourselves... ...and for once, not care about dying while we do it.