PDA

View Full Version : War Horse Skills and suggestions from a horse owner

jef
01-07-2005, 08:23 PM
<DIV>Paladins would train their horses to be useful in battle.</DIV> <DIV> </DIV> <DIV>The major software and artwork is already done for two horse related combat arts:</DIV> <DIV> </DIV> <DIV>-I suggest that the whirl and kick of the Oakmyst unicorn be added to warhorse skills and granted to Paladins as a combat art at some point.</DIV> <DIV> </DIV> <DIV>-I suggest that the Steelhoof foreleg strike movement also become a combat art that is added to Paladins.</DIV> <DIV> </DIV> <DIV>Frankly so much of the Paladin combat arts are duplicates to a large degree, I'd not mind if some of the overlap would be replaced by these.</DIV> <DIV> </DIV> <DIV>And bite!  A war horse would bite when he could.  Horse bites hurt, a lot.</DIV> <DIV> </DIV> <DIV>The present horse speed is a canter.  But, horses can gallop when necessary.  This would equate to a sprint while on horseback.</DIV> <DIV> </DIV> <DIV>And, of course, war horses wore armor.  It's a bit silly to have a heavily armored paladin riding and fighting from a bare horse.  An unarmored horse is by far the weak link in a knight's survival.  Especially one also untrained in how to use his feet and teeth to fight.</DIV>

jimmyjoe1
01-07-2005, 08:30 PM
<DIV>I doubt they would do this as the horse is suppose to be a fun spell and have no combat related uses. While it is faster than running, etc. It would [Removed for Content] the entire playerbase off if we did get attacks that catered to the fact we have a horse that was suppose to be nothing more than a fluff spell.</DIV>

Gilasil
01-07-2005, 11:32 PM
<DIV>I really like these suggestions and I really like the idea of a class built around mounted combat and designed to be as much like the historical knights (who were primarily MOUNTED warriors) as is possible in a fantasy setting.  Obviously some of these skills would be advantages and the class would have to be balanced with that in mind.   Such a knight class would be weaker on foot and a high priority for anyone playing that class class would be to get the best mount possible, just like a priority for any tank is to get the best possible armor and weapons.  That's no big deal in my book since a horse would just be one more item.  Such a knight class could have a whole set of special moves to be used while mounted. </DIV> <DIV> </DIV> <DIV>Alas, that doesn't appear to be SoE's approach.  Whether it's ignorance (which I suspect it is) or any other reason they've decided to dumb down mounts until they're nothing but a speed buff with a graphic.  I suspect that making  major changes now would throw class balance too far out of kilter for them to cope.</DIV>

So
01-08-2005, 02:58 AM
<DIV>Let's face a simple fact...the only thing that is seriously jacked up about pallies is the inability to use a [Removed for Content] spear/lance.</DIV> <DIV> </DIV> <DIV>That's our HALLMARK WEAPON.</DIV> <DIV> </DIV> <DIV>If there was one thing I'd be willing to push hard for, it's that.</DIV> <DIV> </DIV> <DIV>What's cooler?  Riding on a horse and it does a spin and kick.  Or charging in on a horse carring a big honkin lance?  </DIV> <DIV> </DIV> <DIV>Don't ge me wrong it would be neat to have horse abilities but I don't see the devs doing it and besides all those skills would be limited to outdoor zones which would decrease our capacity in dungeons...which I'm not in favor of.</DIV> <DIV> </DIV> <DIV>~Soly</DIV>

Gilasil
01-08-2005, 03:48 AM
<BR> <BLOCKQUOTE> <HR> Soly wrote:<BR> <DIV>Let's face a simple fact...the only thing that is seriously jacked up about pallies is the inability to use a [Removed for Content] spear/lance.</DIV> <DIV> </DIV> <DIV>That's our HALLMARK WEAPON.</DIV> <DIV> </DIV><BR> <HR> </BLOCKQUOTE>But only while on a horse charging into battle.<BR>