PDA

View Full Version : Will Paladins ever be known as "Sir" or wear "shiny" armor?

Darchang
12-23-2004, 03:35 AM
I am so curious about this. EQ2 did great by giving us horses at level 20, cheap. But do we ever get to wear the title of, "Sir"? Does anyone know if this is in the mix for us? It is the most obvious thing to me for this to be part of our set, and it would be soooo easy to impliment.Also, what's with all the dull armor? What ever happend to the knights in shining armor of lore? After all, Sir Jeager has beautiful shining armor, so I know it is "possible" with the current color pallet and of course technology, but will we ever be able to wear any of it?Does anyone know if we get the "Sir" title and/or a chance to wear "shiny" armor at higher levels?Valoric Soulseer - Level 22 Human Paladin - Permafrost Server

jshari
12-23-2004, 03:52 AM
<DIV>SIR! that would would coolness x2441.6</DIV>

Bladezil
12-23-2004, 05:10 AM
<DIV>Look for that stuff in the second or third expansions.</DIV> <DIV> </DIV> <DIV><FONT face="Comic Sans MS" color=#330099 size=7>- Bladezilla Killa -</FONT></DIV>

Gilasil
12-23-2004, 09:30 AM
<DIV>Yes!</DIV> <DIV> </DIV> <DIV>I want to be a knight in shining armor!</DIV> <DIV> </DIV> <DIV>Any level 50 pallies yet?  What's available to them?</DIV> <DIV> </DIV> <DIV>I bet to get a title you have to do something to earn it.</DIV>

SK_Phantas
12-23-2004, 09:05 PM
<BR> <BLOCKQUOTE> <HR> Darchangel wrote:<BR>I am so curious about this. EQ2 did great by giving us horses at level 20, cheap. But do we ever get to wear the title of, "Sir"? Does anyone know if this is in the mix for us? It is the most obvious thing to me for this to be part of our set, and it would be soooo easy to impliment.<BR><BR>Also, what's with all the dull armor? What ever happend to the knights in shining armor of lore? After all, Sir Jeager has beautiful shining armor, so I know it is "possible" with the current color pallet and of course technology, but will we ever be able to wear any of it?<BR><BR>Does anyone know if we get the "Sir" title and/or a chance to wear "shiny" armor at higher levels?<BR><BR>Valoric Soulseer - Level 22 Human Paladin - Permafrost Server<BR> <HR> </BLOCKQUOTE> <P>While I dont know for sure, it wouldnt surprise me in the least to see Prefix's like "Sir" become avalible.</P> <P>As for the dull armor. Give it time. If they expect EQ2 to have anywhere near the life that EQ1 did, they will need to gcradually introduce new and "cool" things. If every paladin was running around in the best shiny armor at level 20 a month in, there wouldnt be much room for expansion. Theres a good thread somewhere else that explains this. The gear everyone wants right now will most likely be useless in a year or two.</P> <P><BR> </P>

GilfalasElaandrin
12-23-2004, 10:29 PM
<BR> <DIV>The honorific 'Sir' is definately available but not JUST to Paladins. It is one of the city titles you can buy with prestige points if your in a guild and work the city tasks.</DIV> <DIV> </DIV> <DIV>Your guild level needs to be high enough, as well as your personl prestige points, to buy/earn the title from he Royal Court.</DIV> <DIV> </DIV> <DIV>I saw at leas two players in Beta witht he title 'Sir' over their name. </DIV> <DIV> </DIV> <DIV>So work those city tasks and level up your guild.</DIV>

Darchang
12-23-2004, 10:54 PM
So, as a Paladin, I can never obtain the "Sir" title unless I join a guild and work the City Guild Quests???That just doesn't seem right considering Paladins are supposed to be "Knights"! The most logical thing to me is maybe at level 30, Paladins would have to go thru a trial (quest) to receive the title, but it should, without argument, be part of the Paladin set. Period.Personally, I don't care for guilds, and if this is the restriction for obtaining the "Sir" title, then I think that is utterly rediculous. I don't mind having to "work" for the title, but to give it to "anyone" in the game that does the City Quests, in my opinion, is wrong, because that should be reserved for Paladins/Shadow Knights. This is part of what makes our Paladins, well, Paladins. Maybe the City Quest should render a "Nobleman" title for all characters OTHER THAN Paladins.And if you argue this point, then you really don't understand WHAT a Paladin is supposed to be. In fact, from reading the boards, it seems that a lot of people really don't understand what Paladins are and how allowing other characters to reflect "Paladin" traits is no different than giving everyone "Wolf Form" (even though that is obviously a Druidic trait or skill - no argument).To "blur" the lines between character "personas" like this does nothing but serve to "water down" the character class that is affected - in this case, Paladins. Let's face it, the "Sir" title is an honorary title for "Lords" and "Land Owners", which in those days were knights. Second only to the king in power and prestige. For "anyone" to be able to receive this title is silly and unreasonable.Why can't people realize that you can't have everything for every character. We don't expect to get "Wolf Form", so don't expect to get the "Sir" title. That should be reserved for the Paladin/Shadow Knight set (same with the Holy Steed). End of story.Valoric Soulseer - Level 22 Human Paladin - Permafrost Server

GilfalasElaandrin
12-23-2004, 11:18 PM
<BR> <BLOCKQUOTE> <HR> Darchangel wrote:<BR>So, as a Paladin, I can never obtain the "Sir" title unless I join a guild and work the City Guild Quests???<BR><BR>That just doesn't seem right considering Paladins are supposed to be "Knights"! <HR> </BLOCKQUOTE> <P><BR>It seems totally right. KNIGHTING is a title of honorific bestowed by the peerage if memeory serves me correctly.</P> <P>Lancelot was a Paladin but he was not SIR Lancelot until King Arthur made him a knight. SIR Alec Guiness the actor was just Alec until the Queen made him a knight. </FONT></P> <P>It holds purely to logic that unless and until you prove yourself as a valuable servant of the crown and an asset to Qeynos, one that is socially aware and active enough to do tasks for the city to keep it safe and make it prosper, that you should most definately NOT become a sir.</FONT></P> <P>Paladin? Sure. Feel free to wander the land and do good. But if you wish to truly be knigted by the queen and earn the right to be a SIR then you need to prove your worth to the city and to the people of that city by service.</P> <P>And don't start screaming that it is too hard. Guilds can have as few as 6 members and the entire guild level system is balanced so that tiny guilds can advance as easily as large guilds for the same effort and have access to the same erwards should they wish to work for it.</P> <P>Feeling the call to dury personally is easy. Persuing good in an grand scale and in an organized fashion is the hard part. Prove your worth and dedication! Serve Qeynos and the Queen!</P> <P> </P> <P>**And if you argue this point, then you really don't understand WHAT a Paladin is supposed to be.** </P> <P>Oh I don't eh? I find that rather amusing given my personal history with the EQ Paladin hehehe. Maybe it is  YOU who are confusing Paladins from OTHER games with Paladins in NORRATH? Norrathian Paladins are a bit different than Paladins from say Dungeons and Dragons or other games. Quite a bit different in reality as a matter of fact.</P> <P><SPAN class=time_text>**To "blur" the lines between character "personas" like this does nothing but serve to "water down" the character class that is affected - in this case, Paladins. Let's face it, the "Sir" title is an honorary title for "Lords" and "Land Owners", which in those days were knights. **</SPAN> <P><SPAN class=time_text>1) Not every knight is a Paladin. Far from it, rather most knigths are men, some few men are called by a higher power and are moved by faith and duty to answer the call of Paladin. Not every Paladin is even a knight.</SPAN> <P><SPAN class=time_text>2) Most LORDS and land owneres may have been knights or titled sir in position but not ALL of them were combatants and quite surely most were NOT Paladins.</SPAN> <P><SPAN class=time_text>I am not saying that Sir is not a great and inspiring title for a Paladin to have. I AM saying in the world of NORRATH, similar to medieval europe, there is a queen and royal peerage who givesout titles for service to the throne and that is how one obtains the title Sir in EQ II.</SPAN> <P><SPAN class=time_text>If you cannot be bothered to serve the good of Qeynos and it citizenry then answer me why you deserve the honorific 'Sir'? A title if honor is EARNED not a right. Simply swinging a sword and killing monsters is not enough, even if you do feel moved by the proper reasons.</SPAN> <P><SPAN class=time_text>Deeds not words are the rule of the day. Deeds not words. If you do not feel motivated enough to earn the title then you don't deserve to have it.</SPAN></P><p>Message Edited by GilfalasElaandrin on <span class=date_text>12-23-2004</span> <span class=time_text>12:29 PM</span>

Darchang
12-24-2004, 12:01 AM
I never said I wasn't motivated enough to "do my duty for the city", but to require that you belong to a guild in order to even be able to receieve this title is wrong. I dispise guilds and crafting. For EQ2 to "require" you to do either to prove your worth for the "Sir" title or any other objective of this sort is unfair and wrong.I will conceed your point on the "Sir" title (I feel the monarchies gave these out too freely anyway, especially in modern day), however, even though many folks actually did receive the "Sir" title during the middle ages, those that were not Lords rarely were refered to as "Sir" but more as "Nobleman", whereas the Lords (with armies to back them up) were openly refered to as "Sir".Also, granted, Lancelot wasn't a Knight until knighted by King Arthur, he was a Paladin on his way to become a "sanctified knight" - a holy warrior in training to become a knight (which is basically the top rung of being a Paladin). And my point is this...In those days (contrary to what we are used to in this century), the Church and State were inseparable. You did not rule a country or have the backing of an army, unless you had the blessing of the church. Yes, there are a few exceptions, but for all intent and purpose, a Knight and a Paladin were basically one and the same. Paladins are great warriors who are knighted by their King (and Church - since they were inseprable). Certainly, there we those Paladins/Knights that rejected their faith, which is where we get the representation of the Shadow Knight.Now, in a GAME, the Paladin spells represent the faith and backing of their church. They really weren't able to "cast spells". This is just a way to "represent" their faith and support from the church in a GAME. Just because a warrior wore plate mail and road a horse AND received the "Sir" title, doesn't mean that he is considered a "Knight or Paladin". Knights (Paladins) are defined by their faith to their church and to their king. So, yes, there were many others that wore the "Sir" title in the middle ages, but those that did not defend their country or church with their lives and their property were not considered "Kights". So, as I understand it, Knights and Paladins are one and the same. You may agrue this if you like, but for a GAME, it would seem more logical and respectful to have Paladins be the only class to wear the title of "Sir" whereas others who do a great service for their Queen but are not Paladins, should be able to receive the "Nobleman" title.Just my point of view. And I never said I wasn't willing to do the "service" for the Queen. You said that.

TormEQ2
12-24-2004, 01:09 AM
<P>Gilfalas, truer words have not been spoken in while. Enough with the petty "but I'm a paladin so I'm a knight!" sayings. A paladin is first and foremost hard work, duty above all and the willingness to lay down your life for a cause. It's not at all about almost free horses (Which IMO should not have happened, the paladin steed should have been a quest around level 35) or access to old heritage weapons to brag about!</P> <P>Duty my fellow sirs, not pancing around in fine armour to impress the ladies. Let the bards do that!</P>

Darchang
12-24-2004, 02:08 AM
<blockquote><hr>TormEQ2 wrote:<P>Gilfalas, truer words have not been spoken in while. Enough with the petty "but I'm a paladin so I'm a knight!" sayings. A paladin is first and foremost hard work, duty above all and the willingness to lay down your life for a cause. It's not at all about almost free horses (Which IMO should not have happened, the paladin steed should have been a quest around level 35) or access to old heritage weapons to brag about!</P><P>Duty my fellow sirs, not pancing around in fine armour to impress the ladies. Let the bards do that!</P><hr></blockquote>Obviously you missed my point entirely. I won't waste my breath here anymore. Good Luck!

TormEQ2
12-24-2004, 02:13 AM
<DIV>I did, since I did not respond to your post, in fact I did not see your post till I reread the thread, but since my post was more a responce to the "Oh, that would be cool!!111!! if we got lewtz and r0xx0rz" crowd I did not feel a need to edit it. So no need with the harsh tone.</DIV>

Maladjusted
12-24-2004, 09:11 PM
<BR> <BLOCKQUOTE> <P> <HR> Darchangel wrote:<BR>Also, what's with all the dull armor? What ever happend to the knights in shining armor of lore? After all, Sir Jeager has beautiful shining armor, so I know it is "possible" with the current color pallet and of course technology, but will we ever be able to wear any of it?<BR><BR>Does anyone know if we get the "Sir" title and/or a chance to wear "shiny" armor at higher levels?<BR><BR>Valoric Soulseer - Level 22 Human Paladin - Permafrost Server <HR> </P> <P> <HR> Darchangel wrote:<BR>As for the dull armor. Give it time. If they expect EQ2 to have anywhere near the life that EQ1 did, they will need to gcradually introduce new and "cool" things. If every paladin was running around in the best shiny armor at level 20 a month in, there wouldnt be much room for expansion. Theres a good thread somewhere else that explains this. The gear everyone wants right now will most likely be useless in a year or two.<BR> <HR> </P> <P> </P></BLOCKQUOTE> <P><BR> The armor is shiny already.  From level 10, the crusader breastplate, and chain armor is quite shiny.  The plate and vanguard stuff is very shiny.</P> <P>You have to tweak up the graphics settings, and is pretty heavy on the performance.  As per a post somewhere on these EQ2 boards re: fine tuning your graphics settings, for most systems it would only be recommended for screen shots.  The default and performance type settings won't show shiny. </P> <P> I think you have to turn on Specular? I can't remember all the settings off hand, but if you go somewhere quiet and change the options to their highest settings, and take a look at yourself, you'll be very shiny :smileyhappy:  Even more so if it happens to be raining (which seems to be a rare event, I only remember it raining once so far).  It does depend on your graphics card though.</P>

Reev
12-24-2004, 11:47 PM
<DIV>I think what Darchangel is trying to say is that the requirement of being in a guild seems to be "unfair" to people who prefer not to be in a guild.  I also prefer not to be in a guild for various reasons (all of which would make another thread, but suffice it say, the myriad reasons negates the general "just make up a guild, it can be small" or "just join one" responses).  I however, understand that there are benefits that I lose out on by not being in a guild.  That's just life, those are just the rules of the particular game I may be playing.  I think maybe Darchangel is trying to ask for a compromise for people who prefer not to be guilded, an alternate means that is harder and longer could be devised so that any Palladin who aspires to titles could do so guild or no guild.  An individual can still serve queen and country without having to be in a guild.</DIV> <DIV> </DIV> <DIV>If Darchangel I'm putting words in your mouth, please excuse me.</DIV> <DIV> </DIV> <DIV>As for myself, I would be very happy if they came up with an alternate means of earning a title even if it were a long and arduous task for people who prefer not to be in a guild.  However, if that never comes, I'm ok with that also, it's a choice I'm making.</DIV>

asteldian
12-26-2004, 03:15 AM
<DIV>I agree, titles should be able to be earned by those unguilded.  As for shiny armor...you need to give your squire a kick up the backside and get him working harder :smileywink:</DIV>

winddra
12-26-2004, 04:46 PM
<BR> <BLOCKQUOTE> <HR> That just doesn't seem right considering Paladins are supposed to be "Knights"! The most logical thing to me is maybe at level 30, Paladins would have to go thru a trial (quest) to receive the title, but it should, without argument, be part of the Paladin set. Period.<BR> <HR> </BLOCKQUOTE><BR> <DIV>I am not too sure that people understand the concept of a knight really. A knight is a noble warrior who historically gained his title from king or queen of whatever kingdom he was a citizen. The title 'Sir' was given to these lords of the land, who in turn had soldiers who worked for them to protect their charges. While most holy warriors in any reference you find are typically knights I think that the current system is pretty accurate. A knight is never a solitary soldier working on his own (thus the need for a guild), and he should always be given his title after serving the crown faithfully (thus doing city quests).</DIV> <DIV> </DIV> <DIV>The concept of what a knight is can vary greatly, but the title was never something they gave themselves.</DIV> <DIV> </DIV> <DIV> </DIV>

Bladezil
12-27-2004, 12:20 AM
<DIV>Which guild does "Sir Elton John" belong to then? I'm tellin ya, they ain't making Knights like they used to.... :robotwink:</DIV> <DIV> </DIV> <DIV><FONT face="Comic Sans MS" color=#330099 size=7>- Bladezilla Killa -</FONT></DIV>

12-29-2004, 12:35 PM
OH this would be ultra cool if we had that to look forward to, wearing the shiny plate armor Sir Jeager wears, its almost shiny white!DEVS, if you are reading this. This is a MUST patch in later on down the road. Say level 40-50 you get your chance at buying this kind of gear. Man that would be the ultimate for us Paladins!Can u imagine a Paladin on a black horse wearing that shiny plate armor? THAT would be super super cool.Also, the horse needs to look better. The tail needs to be let down instead of folded up like it is now,looks dorky like that. I know its a military horse but the tail folded up is too drastic.