PDA

View Full Version : SK's and Area Taunts. Where are they?!

KobgagDainbrama
12-14-2004, 01:51 AM
<DIV>I'm a 35 SK on the Guk server and I'm having an awfully hard time keeping agro with an AE grp.  Since our AE tuant as an SK is replaced by a single target taunt + tap proc, my AE taunt has been grey for nearly 10 levels.  This is a major problem.  I'm wondering if anyone else is having the same trouble and if so, have you found a way to keep a group of mobs on you?  Perhaps we ought to start writting emails until sony gives us a better way to compete for group agro.</DIV> <DIV> </DIV> <DIV>Thanks alot,</DIV> <DIV>KG Dainbramage</DIV>

Snee
12-14-2004, 02:23 AM
35sk here as well, I'm having the same problem.When i'm in an AE group I tend to AE myself, Cruel Intent, Sorrow, and Death and Decay (or whatever that AE sword swing thing is called) helps with me grabbing and keeping the agro.

MF2K|Wh
12-14-2004, 04:44 AM
<DIV>same position as you, lvl 33, hard to hold aggro in a RE with large groups. I always start with a wheel taunt, and then use Decree of Decay, which is AE by the way, all the guys heads flame up and it seems to work better than shout.</DIV>

The_Pumpk
12-14-2004, 08:11 AM
<DIV>We can't hold aggro for [Removed for Content]..makes me sad.I thought devs said we'd all be fairly equal in our abilities as fighters.Guardians by FAR are the best aggro holder.I rarely see them lose aggro but with sk's we lose aggro in about 5 seconds even after a shout/decree and HO.And its not becuase others are nuking or healing too much I play with a good group usually.</DIV>

grypho
12-14-2004, 10:45 AM
<DIV>We'll im lvl 31 right now and I have little trouble with agro.</DIV> <DIV> </DIV> <DIV> </DIV> <DIV>For group mobs I usually warn everyone to go easy on aoe's for first 30 sec's. I then use decree of decay, unholy aura ( yeah the group buff, dont underestimate it, it generates alot of hate) then Cruel Intent, and disease could. When 30s is passed you can redo decau, aura and intent. After that holding hate should be a joke, just having to use your inflame or disease cloud.</DIV> <DIV> </DIV> <DIV>Now this is not full proof. If your party dont head your warning hate can be pulled.</DIV> <DIV> </DIV> <DIV>A big thing I noticed about this game, once you get a good base of hate its easy to keep. But when you lose agro, you gotta work 2x to get it back.</DIV> <DIV> </DIV> <DIV>Hope this helps.</DIV> <DIV> </DIV> <DIV>Sile</DIV>

Seolta
12-14-2004, 02:36 PM
<DIV> <DIV>Gryphonv wrote:</DIV> <DIV> </DIV> <DIV>  "A big thing I noticed about this game, once you get a good base of hate its easy to keep. But when you lose agro, you gotta work 2x to get it back."</DIV> <DIV> </DIV> <DIV>Mostly this is because when people other than the tank get aggro they tend to do things to increase their aggro (like self heals/mob root etc) or they do things that decrease your ability to regain aggro (like staying out of your ae taunt/melee range or simply running around like idiots).</DIV> <DIV> </DIV> <DIV>At 28 the only time I usually have trouble with AE taunting is with a lackluster mezer in group simply because the refresh on Decree is so long and I can't supplement it with my AE nukes because they would break mez. (thank goodness all the mezers in my guild are great so this only happens in pickup groups). </DIV> <DIV> </DIV> <DIV>With single targets I honestly only have problems with berzerkers cutting lose with all their offensive abilities. Other than that, it's taunt/ae taunt/dot/stun/taunt and the mob is stuck to me like glue. </DIV> <DIV> </DIV> <DIV>I'll be interested to see if the case is still the same at lvl30+ using the same tactics.</DIV></DIV>

MF2K|Wh
12-14-2004, 03:07 PM
<DIV>Been hunting in RE for the last 2 days starting at 31, I'm 33 now and I can tell a big difference in my ability to hold aggro when killing the same mobs.</DIV>

Anash
12-14-2004, 04:17 PM
<DIV>No problems here, might of been the people you were grouped with, believe me there are some level 35 noobs out there !</DIV> <DIV> </DIV>

Drax
12-14-2004, 06:23 PM
<DIV>I think the misconception that Decree of Decay is a single target taunt is incorrect. I currently only have it at App 3, but last night is an excellent example:</DIV> <DIV> </DIV> <DIV>One of my party members last night was not assisting properly. I was on Target A, he was on Target B. Target C and target D were properly wailing on me along with Target A. I used Decree of Decay, and the taunt graphic appeared properly on all four mobs, and even Target B turned its attention towards me and ignored the player wailing on him.</DIV> <DIV> </DIV> <DIV>Even when I pull with Fetid Grasp and - as we all know - the mobs like to go nuts and immediately attack the enchanter or cleric, one click of Decree of Decay puts them all back in like as an AE taunt should.</DIV> <DIV> </DIV> <DIV>I'm not sure what the problem some people are having with Decree of Decay is - but it operates correctly as an AE taunt for me. It functions properly, the "taunt" flame appears on all mobs properly, and everything works as an AE taunt should - with the added lifetap proc for me.</DIV>

Hagginsb
12-14-2004, 08:14 PM
I agree with Draxis, there is no way in hell that Decree isn't a AE taunt. I haven't used shout since I got decree and I haven't many problems with AE taunting.

Trebla
12-14-2004, 10:04 PM
<DIV>The fact that the spell has a green background in and of itself, means that it's AE.  The description doesn't say it's a taunt, but it is pretty obvious through use (same graphic on all mobs as Shout) and it's ability to draw aggro seems to imply that there's at least <EM>some</EM> taunt component to it.</DIV> <DIV> </DIV> <DIV>For those not familiar with the background color of spells, here's what they mean:</DIV> <DIV>Red - target</DIV> <DIV>Yellow - self only</DIV> <DIV>Purple - group</DIV> <DIV>Blue - Point Blank AE</DIV> <DIV>Green - target based AE</DIV> <DIV>Orange - target based pulse AE</DIV> <DIV> </DIV> <DIV>They have the exact same meaning as they did in EQ1.</DIV>

Drax
12-14-2004, 10:08 PM
<DIV>Another note on green AE's: They will only hit monsters in the encounter of the target. PB AE's, blue, will hit any monster - regardless if its in the targets encounter or not.</DIV> <DIV> </DIV> <DIV>Decree of Decay (and shout, for that matter) are green, meaning they will only taunt monsters inside the encounter of your target. If you have an add, using shout nor decree of decay will help you get agro on the add because its a seperate encounter. No AE taunt would. Your only choice is to switch targets and taunt or drop a blue PB AE. If everyone else is doing their job and assisting, that little bit of DMG is usually enough to draw agro. Obviously this is not an option if you have mez'ed targets nearby.</DIV> <DIV> </DIV> <DIV>No taunt, that i'm aware of, will PB AE and hit targets from seperate encounters. You have to physically switch to a target in that encounter and do your decree.</DIV>

DrAtla
12-15-2004, 12:43 PM
Lol, you are still using Shout at 35? Must be funny to watch that... Try decree... Notice how it taunts them all? Notice how when you use one of them, both darken? That means they don't want you to use both at the same time because they both do the same thing... Decree is meant to replace shout.Also someone was mentioning Unholy Aura? What is that? At 29 I don't have it yet... Do you mean Unholy Order? If so that's a great idea, didn't think of that.<p>Message Edited by DrAtlasX on <span class=date_text>12-14-2004</span> <span class=time_text>11:52 PM</span>

N7649U
12-16-2004, 08:49 PM
I cant speak for level 30ish, but i know at my level (25) that decree works well as an AoE taunt, My only question is whether it can ever break mez?? Would it ever lifetap a mezzed enemy and break it? This is important for me because I play every night with the same enchanter. Thanks!!Gorn25 sk

Burrebis
12-18-2004, 03:15 AM
<DIV>Decree of decay dont break mezz and works excellent replacing the shout but Ive seen, even I got adept 1 on it, ... still sometimes can be broken, and so I loose aggro, by 2 classes : Furies and Bruisers. I dont know if its something regarding those 2 particular classes or some bad spells used by some players by everytime I have one of those in the group I work a lot to get the agro back</DIV>

Kimkim Team`Zeb
12-18-2004, 03:41 AM
<DIV>Adept 3 decree of decay works for me ... but also Swarming spirts app2 atm seems to hold hate good on group mobs aswell... Lot of the time it isnt the SK's fault make sure no one is casting anything on the pulls.... Yes some people dont listen and your pull goes south and your scrambling through FD's and Rescues and spaming anything to get mobs off some noob that wont listen.. I also like to cast my group buff during the fight seems to help a bit aswell.. </DIV> <DIV> </DIV> <DIV>Game seems to get tricky and people get lazy with this auto assist feature... where you just click on there name.. I try to do it old eq style where i have them stay on the first mob I start to attack about 10 seconds into the fight and about one or 2 AE's from me also ae taunt i switch through the mobs quick building hate on all rarely loose aggro that way ever.. My group usaly has 2 wizards in it aswell they are known to pull hate.</DIV>

Ixnay
12-18-2004, 07:21 AM
<DIV>I'm only 26 but Shout still works as effectively for me as any other taunt, even though its greyed out.</DIV> <DIV> </DIV> <DIV>Let me get your opinion:  would it be a waste to get the Adept 3 version of shout, just to have more things to use along with everything else?</DIV>

N7649U
12-18-2004, 07:07 PM
Dont get adept3 of shout, Decree works better if you ask me.Gorn25 sk

Coter
12-27-2004, 08:50 PM
Well, I'm still low level here, but I've not had a problem with area taunting. The other thing I've notice too is that Assault and Cry of Conviction do not seem to break mezzes. I've been in a couple groups in FG that have had mezzers, the only thing that seems to break mezzes is targeting the mob and using a single target or default attack. At least, that's been my experience so far. Currently I use Cry and Assault to gain aggro on any adds, and usually holds them on me until they can get mezzed, sometimes I've been a bit late on Cry (Due to refresh) and the Mezzer already has them undercontrol, when it pops because it was qued, and they still stand there mezzed.One of the things I have noticed though, and the only time I seem to lose aggro is when I get an overzealous nuker, or a healer who is spamming large heals, or a rogue type not assisting. The only other time I have aggro issues is when people are staying in the camp, or try to follow me out on pulls, I usually pull a group of 2 - 4 mobs, and if someone isn't in the camp they get aggro when I run past them on the way back. Now I'm usually in a group with 2 healers pulling things that when they are single group ^^ can beat me for 1/5 to 1/4 of my HP in one round of combat, so those people that don't stay in the camp usually wind up face first in the dirt before I get back to camp and get my aggro built.Another thing I've notice is that mobs in this game seem to riposte all around, which might be a bug, and may make it seem like you are losing aggro. I had a meleeing mage in a group with me a couple days ago, and every pull it seemed like I was losing aggro and they were getting smacked down, so I watched a couple encounters closely, and watched the combat log, indeed they were getting riposted standing directly behind the mob I was tanking. I warned them that it seemed like they were getting riposted, and they didn't listen to me, I never lost aggro once during the fight, yet they yelled at me because they had gotten killed, and said I didn't know how to hold aggro, when I said to look at their combat log, and tell me if they were getting hit or riposted, they shut up after that and stopped meleeing.

Os
01-03-2005, 11:42 PM
<DIV>For those not familiar with the background color of spells, here's what they mean:</DIV> <DIV>Red - target</DIV> <DIV>Yellow - self only</DIV> <DIV>Purple - group</DIV> <DIV>Blue - Point Blank AE</DIV> <DIV>Green - target based AE</DIV> <DIV>Orange - target based pulse AE</DIV> <DIV> </DIV> <DIV>They have the exact same meaning as they did in EQ1.</DIV> <DIV> </DIV> <DIV><FONT color=#ffff00>This information is partly incorrect.</FONT></DIV> <DIV><FONT color=#ffff00></FONT> </DIV> <DIV><FONT color=#ffff00>Green is 1 encounter only specific AE. It will only effect mobs of the same group.</FONT></DIV> <DIV><FONT color=#ffff00>Blue is a non-encounter specific AE.</FONT></DIV> <DIV><FONT color=#ffff00></FONT> </DIV> <DIV><FONT color=#ffff00>The biggest noticable difference... to help prove my point. Is that a Green AE will NOT agro mobs that aren't actively engaged in combat, while BLUE backgrounds can and will agro everything whether or not they were attacking your previously. Watch when you ae taunt or nuke animations when you have multiple encounters.</FONT></DIV> <DIV><FONT color=#ffff00></FONT> </DIV> <DIV><FONT color=#ffff00>This is a VERY important point when holding agro. If you pull a group of skelies, and then a bear adds, and you use "shout"  green ae taunt on the skelies, it will NOT add hate to the bear at ALL. If you have 2 different groups of skelies, it becomes then very important to move between encounters when using your shout to make sure both groups are getting taunted.</FONT></DIV> <DIV><FONT color=#ffff00></FONT> </DIV> <DIV><FONT color=#ffff00>So again. GREEN = 1 encounter specific (NOT target based AE ala EQ1)</FONT></DIV> <DIV><FONT color=#ffff00>BLUE = all mobs in range of you (non-encounter specific, similiar to EQ1 point blank AE)</FONT></DIV> <P> </P> <DIV>BTW can you give me an example of an orange background spell in EQ2? I haven't seen any AE rains in this game yet.<BR></DIV>

WuphonsReach
01-04-2005, 12:22 AM
Also, the max targets that a blue AoE spell will hit is (6) mobs. So if you have 6 mobs engaged, the AoE will hit only those mobs (I think... it may be a bit random if there are less then 6 mobs in the targeted encounter).I was out playing around with killing off 12+ gnolls at a time in Antonica yesterday. I could get 12-15 aggro'd, before it wouldn't let me aggro anymore before I killed some off.