PDA

View Full Version : Dark Elfs?

EdKnap
11-10-2004, 06:36 AM
<DIV>Are Dark Elfs totaly useless as a shadow knight because of the low STR? or does the hi INT come in to use later? Also, in other games your base stats dont realy mean that much, its all about the high end armor and items with stat buffs. is this the case with EQ2?</DIV>

Zutan
11-10-2004, 11:00 AM
<DIV>When you become a Crusader and then a Shadowknight WIS is your "Power" stat but STR is still important for melee damage.</DIV> <DIV>AGI is always important for avoidance and chance to hit the enemy.</DIV> <DIV>STA is always important for Health</DIV> <DIV> </DIV> <DIV>INT isnt really important for us (this isnt EQLive, "crusaders" all use WIS now)</DIV> <DIV> </DIV> <DIV>Oh, Forgot to mention...</DIV> <DIV> </DIV> <DIV>Play the race you like, starting stats dont effect you enough to really matter.   The difference of 5 or 10 points is really minimal, especially by the time you get to level 20.</DIV><p>Message Edited by Zutan on <span class=date_text>11-09-2004</span> <span class=time_text>10:01 PM</span>

Shadame
11-10-2004, 11:36 AM
I've been playing a gnome fighter and as far as up to level 6 I function just fine as the solo tank for my group. I don't think you'll need to worry about it like do you in eqlive.

Dutroc
11-10-2004, 12:29 PM
also remember that as u lv up your skill bases raise in STR. i prefer to play a tank with good AGI for avoidance help and lands hits cause your str will increase a good ammount o make up for the Dark Elf low str.

Profe
11-10-2004, 06:17 PM
<DIV>I'm going Dark Elf as well, not really worried about the stats.  I figure what I'm lacking will eventually be compensated by gear, just how it was in EQ1 with STR and STA.</DIV>

Mana_Sto
11-10-2004, 08:18 PM
<DIV>I think DEs make cool Shadow Knights.</DIV> <DIV> </DIV> <DIV>I chose Troll this time around just to try it out since they have good STR and STA and well... it just looks cool to have nails stickin through my eyelids.</DIV> <DIV> </DIV> <DIV>"Hey kids, do you like violence?  Wanna see me stick nine inch nails through each one of my eyelids?"</DIV> <DIV> </DIV> <DIV>:smileyvery-happy:</DIV> <DIV> </DIV>

Tirsa
11-10-2004, 10:49 PM
The stat differences, while there, are no where near as extreme as they were in EQ1. Between a Troll and Dark Elf you'd see about 80 (out of 2400) hit point spread in the mid-30s. Stat differences seem to matter 3-5% statwise, at most.

Kh
11-11-2004, 04:20 PM
<DIV>Sweet, i was wondering this myself.</DIV> <DIV> </DIV> <DIV>Cheers for the info.</DIV> <DIV> </DIV>

FleshFlay
11-11-2004, 05:14 PM
As many said already, pick a race you think you would or your class would look the coolest with

Dhamp
11-11-2004, 06:32 PM
<DIV>I wouldn't say Dark Elves are worthless as Shadowknights.  I tested one to 32, and had a dev buff me to level 50 during beta.  The spells and abilities are very nice.</DIV> <DIV> </DIV> <DIV>Shadowknights in general are weak offensively and their ability to tank is definitely "2nd rate."  Higher level SKs will suffer a bit just as they did in EQ1.  Guardian's are much more desirable as tanks.  Berserkers seem to be everyone's 2nd choice for a tank since they can take a hit and deal significantly better damage than SKs.</DIV> <DIV> </DIV> <DIV>Our spell line is nice, a few "ok" DoT spells add to our ability to do damage, but our melee damage needs to be increased.  Shields are an absolute necessity for SKs.  The increased ability to block and the additional AC on shields becomes essential later on in the game.  2h weapons, while they would seem a viable option, there's a lack of good 2h'ers, and you're only going to use them when you are the secondary tank.  We have a few decent ae spells/taunts.   The pet spells are "glorified" DoT spells.   The pet lasts a fixed duration or until the target is dead.  (They were more fun when they followed you around.)  </DIV> <DIV> </DIV> <DIV>Weapon selection, in a word: HORRIBLE.  No polearms, halbreds, axes.   I've heard that there are scythes, but I believe these use you sword skill.  </DIV> <DIV> </DIV> <DIV>Max melee hit at level 50:  160 points</DIV> <DIV>Max spell damage at 50:   900 points</DIV> <DIV> </DIV> <DIV>Graven Embrace is a "fun" spell, similar to feign death, but it does not last long enough to clear agro.  It simply buys you an extra moment for a heal to land on you or for others to run away.</DIV> <DIV> </DIV> <DIV>Lifetaps are decent, I wish they returned a greater amount of hps based on their damage.</DIV>