PDA

View Full Version : Why PvP is the way it is.

Tesiyr
02-10-2012, 11:31 AM
<p>There is a simple reason why PvP has become the way it is and why I have little hope for it changing.  I do believe that game developers come to the forums and read what we have to say, Gninja pokes his head in and will respond to some things.  However money drives everything, and PvP will most likely not change because sadly the reason certain people have advantages is because they have paid for them, and who do you think $oE is going to cater to? </p><p>So far I see three reocurring topics on the PvP boards: Mercenaries, Flying Mounts, and Beastlords.  Guess what?  You have to pay more to get all of these!!  Forget that we all pay monthly subscriptions, thats not enough.  To be competitive you also have to shell out more money for the latest expansion so you can play the most overpowered class and have an absurdly overpowered AI follow you around, and if you want to be able to run from any fight ever and dive bomb on people once they engage an NPC just shell out a little more for a flying mount.</p><p>I hate to say it but I think it may be too much to ask to have a level playing field for those that pay the monthly subscription.  Its all about more and more profit, and they've made it painfully obvious that if they have to make the game unfair to bring in some extra scratch then thats what they'll do.</p><p>I would love for them to fix these issues and make me look like a jerk, but I'm not holding my breath.</p>

DariusIV
02-11-2012, 03:40 PM
<p><cite>Tesiyr wrote:</cite></p><blockquote><p>There is a simple reason why PvP has become the way it is and why I have little hope for it changing.  I do believe that game developers come to the forums and read what we have to say, Gninja pokes his head in and will respond to some things.  However money drives everything, and PvP will most likely not change because sadly the reason certain people have advantages is because they have paid for them, and who do you think $oE is going to cater to? </p><p>So far I see three reocurring topics on the PvP boards: Mercenaries, Flying Mounts, and Beastlords.  Guess what?  You have to pay more to get all of these!!  Forget that we all pay monthly subscriptions, thats not enough.  To be competitive you also have to shell out more money for the latest expansion so you can play the most overpowered class and have an absurdly overpowered AI follow you around, and if you want to be able to run from any fight ever and dive bomb on people once they engage an NPC just shell out a little more for a flying mount.</p><p>I hate to say it but I think it may be too much to ask to have a level playing field for those that pay the monthly subscription.  Its all about more and more profit, and they've made it painfully obvious that if they have to make the game unfair to bring in some extra scratch then thats what they'll do.</p><p>I would love for them to fix these issues and make me look like a jerk, but I'm not holding my breath.</p></blockquote><p>  Good points.  I agree completley.  I wonder however, how many people have quit as a result of this policy ? In their drive for short term profits, I wonder if they factor that variable in at all ? I know I am about ready to toss in the sponge, having subed to gold and bought the AOD expansion a few months ago, as like you, I do not see anything changing. </p>

Adjorr
02-11-2012, 04:30 PM
i've always thoguht pvp is the way it is becuase non of the devs even have a character on a pvp server that thy play, and therefore are unable to understand the problems with it clearly. i cant back this opinion up with any facts but it sounds true. eq2 had somethign great in open world pvp but they'v ebeat it into the ground, if they actual bothered developign around open world pvp they would probably bring in a lot of players. but that woudl also involve marketing another thign soe dosent bother with

Freejazzlive
02-12-2012, 01:12 PM
<p><cite>Tesiyr wrote:</cite></p><blockquote><p>So far I see three reocurring topics on the PvP boards: Mercenaries, Flying Mounts, and Beastlords. </p></blockquote><p>Those are the three recurring topics <strong>now</strong>. PvP in this game has been screwed for a long time, long before any of those things were introduced. Those three things have simply made things worse.</p><p>PvP is what it is, because no matter how populated the PvP servers are, they're badly out-numbered by the Care Bear population, & in EQ games that has always been true & probably always will be. EQ2 is Care Bear Land; PvP is only here because some relatively small population is willing to put up with Care Bear PvP, & will, inexplicably, pay to play it. This has been true of EverQuest, ever since the first PvP server (Rallos Zek) was released back in 1999; it was very popular at first, then very quickly de-populated, fell to the bottom of the playerbase food chain, & stayed there.</p><p>There are <strong>FAR</strong> better PvP games -- games designed from the ground up with PvP in mind, not PvE games with PvP tacked on as an afterthought, which is what EverQuest will <strong>always</strong> be.</p>

SOE-MOD-04
02-15-2012, 04:41 PM
This post has moved: <a href="/eq2/posts/preList.m?topic_id=500111&post_id=5716561" target="_blank" rel="nofollow">/eq2/posts/preList.m?topic_id=50011...post_id=5716561</a> Removed for inappropriate comment

Vlahkmaak
02-15-2012, 05:16 PM
<p>You can do a quest to get a flying mount for free.  If your a low lvl locker just lvl your crafter.  These issues you listed are far from the real issues affecting pvp.  Mercs are cosmetic, flying mounts were only an issue to people refusing to adapt to the current strategic enviornment.  Gear seperation, auto attack, No new gear, lack of pvp vision/communication, and failing to properly scale pvp/e on CA are far larger issues.</p>

Lidende
02-15-2012, 09:28 PM
<p><cite>[email protected] wrote:</cite></p><blockquote><p> Mercs are cosmetic...</p></blockquote><p>Hahahahahahahaha.....</p><p>HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA...</p><p><span style="font-size: medium;">HAAAAAAAAAAAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!</span></p><p><span style="font-size: x-small;"><span style="font-size: small;">Have you ever fought a merc user in pvp below level 90? I think not. Unless you are rolling a merc yourself, you stand no chance against a player using one. The worst part is that everyone and their mother brings mercs to world PvP. Thank the gods they aren't allowed in BGs.</span></span></p><p>Also, hi everyone!</p>

Muusic
02-16-2012, 02:17 PM
<p>Players with raid gear, Players that actually buy the current expansion to have mercs, Players that learn to play their class... the list has changed over the years of the many reasons PVP is, "the way it is" but the one thing hasn't changed is:</p><p>Bad players or players who don't invest time in their gameplay get Pwned in PVP and try to blame it on everything else not being, "Fair".</p>

convict
02-16-2012, 05:25 PM
<p>Subs are the only thing they wil listen to. If they quit picking up devs from fanfaire, and hire some that have a clue, then resub and the game would be decent, until then vote with your wallets.</p>

Alazarz
02-18-2012, 09:02 PM
<p>Yea soe screws up alot of the good aspects of pvp.i dont place blame soley on soe though.Alot of changes are mass requested... Alot of the former WoW fanboys who finally came to reality and realised  eq2 was indeed a superior game in terms of gameplay/graphics and challenge came over.. (this started many years ago) and whined and moaned for changes to make eq2 a wow clone on steroids.</p><p>Idk how many threads i've read where "WoW had this or WoW had that, we need this in eq2"..how do you think the instanced pvp can of worms got opened?Why do you think alot of the bs that has been implemented over the years? soe didnt just up and decide these things on there own..i promise.</p>

Alazarz
02-18-2012, 09:10 PM
<p><cite>Tesiyr wrote:</cite></p><blockquote><p>There is a simple reason why PvP has become the way it is and why I have little hope for it changing.  I do believe that game developers come to the forums and read what we have to say, Gninja pokes his head in and will respond to some things.  However money drives everything, and PvP will most likely not change because sadly the reason certain people have advantages is because they have paid for them, and who do you think $oE is going to cater to? </p><p>So far I see three reocurring topics on the PvP boards: Mercenaries, Flying Mounts, and Beastlords.  Guess what?  You have to pay more to get all of these!!  Forget that we all pay monthly subscriptions, thats not enough.  To be competitive you also have to shell out more money for the latest expansion so you can play the most overpowered class and have an absurdly overpowered AI follow you around, and if you want to be able to run from any fight ever and dive bomb on people once they engage an NPC just shell out a little more for a flying mount.</p><p>I hate to say it but I think it may be too much to ask to have a level playing field for those that pay the monthly subscription.  Its all about more and more profit, and they've made it painfully obvious that if they have to make the game unfair to bring in some extra scratch then thats what they'll do.</p><p>I would love for them to fix these issues and make me look like a jerk, but I'm not holding my breath.</p></blockquote><p> why wouldn't you buy the latest xpac (to any game that you play for that matter) if you want to be competitive?? thats like someone in ROK gear getting mad because they have to buy TSO to be competitive..HELLO!?!? thats the way mmos work.. i dont understand the problem.Also, if you're paying a sub fee.. you have access to flying mounts.So you can 'dive bomb' engaged toons.i dont see the problem.</p><p>Now, i havent played eq2 for a few months.. i have always payed my sub fee while i was playing.I was the 3rd person on nagafen with the flying mount from king tormax. is soe actually charging paying customers (subs) to use the flying mounts that they have earned already via quest or drop? i seriously dont understand the problem.. you pay your sub.. ALWAYS stay current with latest xpac... nothing new..</p><p>gee pa!! you mean i wont be competitive at endgame with EOF gear / xpac?!!? that **** SOE wont even let me lvl to endgame with EOF!! i pay a sub..why should i have to keeep current on xpacs to be competitive?! i r mad!!</p><p>^makes sense right?! /sarcasm off</p>

Yonaton
02-19-2012, 04:45 AM
<p>Meh,SOE isn't doing that. They aren't charging you to use the flying mounts or anything. Expacks are expacks. If you want the latest in game,you buy it. Always been that way.</p><p>I think as of right now,the mercenaries are what's really causing an issue in t2-t8 pvp. I play at t9 probably 99% of the time and mercs mean next to nothing,but in those lower tiers mercs are way too overpowered and broken. I've gone out on my 39 and tried a few sorties,and it always ends up with me against some person with a caster merc. And all that tells me is that the mercs are truly OP,otherwise the option wouldn't be so popular in those tiers. People don't just decide to pay hard earned plats for something that doesn't give an advantage.</p><p>I've fought with act up against merc'd oppponents. It's not the player on the other end that kills you. It's the merc. A caster merc can nuke you to death with no risk for the player controlling said merc at those levels. It's not a question of 'skill'. It's a question of who has the merc,and who doesn't. And simply saying 'get your own merc!' is a lame excuse. Yes,if you have the expack you can get your own merc,but how does that change the situation for hte better? Giving people what amounts to a disability flag in game and having cripple fights.</p><p>My two cents. If you feel differently that's cool. </p>

Tesiyr
02-20-2012, 11:30 AM
<p><cite>Xaviour wrote:</cite></p><blockquote><p> why wouldn't you buy the latest xpac (to any game that you play for that matter) if you want to be competitive?? thats like someone in ROK gear getting mad because they have to buy TSO to be competitive..HELLO!?!? thats the way mmos work.. i dont understand the problem.Also, if you're paying a sub fee.. you have access to flying mounts.So you can 'dive bomb' engaged toons.i dont see the problem.</p><p>Now, i havent played eq2 for a few months.. i have always payed my sub fee while i was playing.I was the 3rd person on nagafen with the flying mount from king tormax. is soe actually charging paying customers (subs) to use the flying mounts that they have earned already via quest or drop? i seriously dont understand the problem.. you pay your sub.. ALWAYS stay current with latest xpac... nothing new..</p><p>gee pa!! you mean i wont be competitive at endgame with EOF gear / xpac?!!? that **** SOE wont even let me lvl to endgame with EOF!! i pay a sub..why should i have to keeep current on xpacs to be competitive?! i r mad!!</p><p>^makes sense right?! /sarcasm off</p></blockquote><p>You know what, you're right.  The point of every company is to make profit, and MMO's increase profit with xpacs.  I just needed an outlet for my frustration with the current situiation of PvP in EQ2, and how open world PvP has gone down the tubes.  I absolutely love open world PvP, but the massive unballances with mercs and BeastLords is killing it!!  The fact that BeastLords and mercs are so overpowered is very very frustrating, and I'm upset that the only way you can compete with a BL and a merc is to BE a BL and have a merc as well.  I love my assassin and its the class that is the most fun to me, so it irks me that my class cannot compete with a BL.  I believe SoE made them overpowered for a reason, and that reason is to sell more xpacs, and for this reason I am upset, not simply because "/cry its time for another xpac purchase".</p>

EQ2Playa432
02-20-2012, 02:52 PM
<p>The alarming thing is that there has been absolutely no hint of these supposed sick pvp updates that are coming with GU63 (that should have been here already).</p>

Lilflier
02-21-2012, 01:03 AM
<p>for a great pvp update!   find a friend for a game of air hockey!</p>

Tesiyr
02-21-2012, 10:01 AM
<p><cite>Lilflier wrote:</cite></p><blockquote><p>for a great pvp update!   find a friend for a game of air hockey!</p></blockquote><p>All my friends have air hockey mercs.... took the fun right out of the game.</p>

Lilflier
02-23-2012, 08:58 AM
<p><cite>Tesiyr wrote:</cite></p><blockquote><p><cite>Lilflier wrote:</cite></p><blockquote><p>for a great pvp update!   find a friend for a game of air hockey!</p></blockquote><p>All my friends have air hockey mercs.... took the fun right out of the game.</p></blockquote><p>practice more!!!   away from the computer!!!!</p>