PDA

View Full Version : Adjusting decorating in the Guild Hall to minimize loading and lag?

Katz
01-15-2012, 03:29 PM
<p>Hi all,</p><p>I'm looking for some suggestions here as well as some answers.</p><p>Some guildmates have difficulty loading into the guildhall.  It's a T2 Qeynos hall.</p><p>So in an attempt to balance ease of use and "looks nice", what is the most efficient way to cut down on the loading issues?</p><p>Questions:</p><p>1.  Do you load everything in the hall at once (which is what I think happens) or would it be any help at all to move most of the decorations downstairs? </p><p>2.  Along that vein does it help to minimize decorations in the zone in front room?</p><p>3.  I have heard that if you repeat the same items in the hall it cuts down on load, is that true?  For example if every counter is the same counter does that help?</p><p>4.  Are some items worse than others or is it just the number of items that matters?</p><p>Thanks for any suggestions you might have.</p>

Twinklin
01-15-2012, 03:45 PM
<p>Some of our guildies were having lag in certain areas of our guild hall and Jazabelle did some experimenting and I think she found that it was the portal objects like the spire, home portal, and the ship captain (world bell). So she spread them out. We now have them in 3 seperate rooms. I think she said it helped though I didn't have lag so it didn't effect me. So splitting up the portal things may be one way to reduce lag. I can't really help otherwise as I've never decorated a guild hall.</p>

Katz
01-15-2012, 06:36 PM
<p>Unfortunately, with these folks it isn't one specific area lagging but it is loading into the hall to begin with.</p>

Iskandar
01-15-2012, 08:00 PM
<p>A lot will depend on the player's machine -- their CPU and RAM moreso than their video card.</p><p>I don't know if this is of help, but we discovered through a little trial and error experimentation in our Hall that books added a HUGE amount of lag for some people. So we cut out all of the readable/interactive books and replaced them with the "decor" books/bookcases. Heavy particle effects also hurt some folks -- like a heavy use of candles or sconces or animated items -- so we used them sparingly and kept them spread out.</p><p>I'm not sure, but I <em>think</em> the Halls load in sections, so if you kep the entrance area fairly simple then it should be easier on folks when they first zone in... not really 100% sure on that tho.</p>

Afista
01-15-2012, 10:34 PM
<p>My computer is equivalent to a breadbox with a hammster running on a wheel to power it - that being said I always have to adjust things to keep me from getting the "blue screen of death" when my computer turns itself off automatically.</p><p>The main thing I found to prevent this and the enormous amount of lag I'd get is just by using more of the same items. When there are a ton of unique items, that's when I personally can't load or lag to the point of crashing. My own hall is T1 and capped on item count. But, it's made almost entirely just of a few unique items, so I don't have lag.</p><p>I've got all of my portal/hired ammenities right in the first room, and that doesn't seem to affect me at all.</p><p>Oh, and as a note - wine racks. Wine racks are the devil. I loathe more than 1 large rack anywhere. The amount of lag I incure from running near wine racks is ridiculous.</p>

Deveryn
01-16-2012, 05:17 AM
<p><cite>Iskandar wrote:</cite></p><blockquote><p>A lot will depend on the player's machine -- their CPU and RAM moreso than their video card.</p><p>I don't know if this is of help, but we discovered through a little trial and error experimentation in our Hall that books added a HUGE amount of lag for some people. So we cut out all of the readable/interactive books and replaced them with the "decor" books/bookcases. Heavy particle effects also hurt some folks -- like a heavy use of candles or sconces or animated items -- so we used them sparingly and kept them spread out.</p><p>I'm not sure, but I <em>think</em> the Halls load in sections, so if you kep the entrance area fairly simple then it should be easier on folks when they first zone in... not really 100% sure on that tho.</p></blockquote><p>I think everything loads on entry, but the rendering is what kills people and that happens in sections. I remember an old guild of mine had a T3 hall. There were some horrible lag spots because those in charge wanted to pack every amenity as close together as possible and decorate those spaces fairly heavily. I would open the door to the tradeskill/bank/gambler area and step into darkness. Many people got stuck in furniture as it didn't fully render for them.</p><p>My general philosophy for halls is to keep things very simple. Save the major projects for your house or use a remote corner of the hall.</p>

Mystfit
01-16-2012, 09:12 AM
<p>The only two item I can remember that ever got mentioned as being specifically an issue was the large teak wine racks and braziers.</p><p>I try to use as many *repeat* items as I can and I don't add books or house pets.</p>

Deveryn
01-16-2012, 11:20 PM
<p><cite>Mystfit wrote:</cite></p><blockquote><p>The only two item I can remember that ever got mentioned as being specifically an issue was the large teak wine racks and braziers.</p><p>I try to use as many *repeat* items as I can and I don't add books or<strong> house pets.</strong></p></blockquote><p>Good point. Forgot about those pesky pets.</p>

Coniaric
01-17-2012, 05:59 AM
<p>The less unique items you got the better it is. For example, if you use the Sumac furniture set in one room, use them in the rest of the hall as well.</p><p>Keep pets to minimum. One or two is plenty.</p><p>Set an item limit per room. Say, 100 per room. Once you hit the limit, move on to next until all done. Then, allowing the item count, add more to certain rooms like kitchen or bar.</p><p>Guild halls, especially Qeynosian ones, don't really need light sources. Leave them out as much as possible.</p>

Katz
01-17-2012, 10:33 PM
<p>Thanks for all the helpful suggestions.  We can try these out and see if it helps.</p>

Aiana
01-17-2012, 10:54 PM
<p>I had some complaints in the first guild hall that I took over.</p><p>1.) I made a theme so that there were fewer unique items in the hall.</p><p>2.) I took out all of the roaming animals. It was like a managerie.</p><p>3.) I tried to make sure that each room had an equal amount of furnishings with the front not being overwhelmed.</p><p>4.) I took out anything with a particle effect. I think I left two red flamed sconces in the bar for effect, but that was all.</p><p>No one had a problem with lag after that. I made sure people could find the portals right way, the entrance was clear, You couldnt get stuck in the decorations, and all of that made for happier guildies.</p>

Katz
01-18-2012, 09:55 PM
<p>Do the lights in the Qeynos guild hall possibly cause a problem?   I'm talking about the ones that come already in the hall.  They have particle effects.</p>

Aiana
01-20-2012, 06:33 PM
<p>Hmm...I wouldnt know. I've only done freeport halls, but I didnt notice a problem with the lights already included. I only noticed it with the player made/quested items that had particle effects.</p>