PDA

View Full Version : No Real Motivation

Troy
12-13-2011, 04:38 PM
<p>I think SOE needs to come up with 'much much' better items one can get from actually going thru a player made dungeon. I was very dissappointed when I saw the armor and in-game usable items being offered in the marketplace for dungeon marks. There is no real motivation to go thru a player made dungeon when you see the substandard items the rewards offer. I am seeing dozens upon dozens of dungeons being posted with no one going thru unless the discription says its solo or short or xmas themed. I am afraid this will be a big "Fail" in a month unless some awesome items are going to be 'carroted' before the general playerbase.</p>

apwyork
12-13-2011, 08:28 PM
<p>Maybe raid gear is better than the dungeon mark gear, but for non-raiders some of the gear offered is a massive improvement over what they can get soloing at 90.  I didnt check the lower level gear since that requires a lower level character...</p><p>Also 48 slot bags, green nightmare pegasus, additions to dungeon maker, new avatars...there's tons of stuff to make these dungeons worthwhile.</p>

Prrasha
12-13-2011, 08:34 PM
<p>DM shouldn't be granting items as good as what you get from real dungeons, though.  There's no risk (debt or item damage, just keep respawning and zerg it down), and no complexity (4 abilities per avatar), and no requirements (a naked level 20 alt is as good as a raid-geared 90.)  And you can xfer the Heirloom tokens to gear up whoever you want.</p><p>It's a fun diversion somewhere between house-decorating and casual grouping.  It's not supposed to outfit you for Drunder.  The rewards for solo questing are far inferior, and the rewards for house-decorating are zero, so "motivation" doesn't seem to be an issue, since I see plenty of folks doing those things.</p><p>Compare risk+time vs. reward for a dungeon-maker grind vs. a harvesting grind & making mastercrafted gear, or to a solo-quest run.  DM all the way, even with the current stats.  Heck, DM even if the DM gear gets nerfed.</p><p>As for the number of dungeons not being run... advertising is hard, and Sturgeon's Law applies.</p>

msgnomer
12-13-2011, 09:24 PM
<p>...and see, my motivation so far has just been to see what players have designed. </p><p>I visited random player houses long before the Housing Leaderboard thing was thought of.</p><p>So far, the dungeons that caught my eye have been ones with catchy titles or look like they have an angle.  Certainly right now I give the Frostfell ones a go when I see them.</p><p>In terms of rewards, beyond the xp and the gear, there's also items that the dungeon makers can acquire with the tokens in order to build bigger better dungeons.</p>

apwyork
12-14-2011, 05:30 AM
<p>There's no real risk in running dungeons either.  You get maybe couple hundred exp debt if you die, but killing one mob your level will usually clear that up and dungeon drops in coin and loot easily surpass any repair debts.   The only real difference is the time involved and to get 1000 marks is not a very quick proposition.  And going by the risk + time vs reward, solo casual players should have the best gear out there since they risk the most and take longer to do things than a raid group.</p>

msgnomer
12-14-2011, 09:05 AM
<p><cite>apwyork wrote:</cite></p><blockquote><p>There's no real risk in running dungeons either.  You get maybe couple hundred exp debt if you die, but killing one mob your level will usually clear that up and dungeon drops in coin and loot easily surpass any repair debts.   The only real difference is the time involved and to get 1000 marks is not a very quick proposition.  And going by the risk + time vs reward, solo casual players should have the best gear out there since they risk the most and take longer to do things than a raid group.</p></blockquote><p>You answered a post of mine elsewhere that death in dungeons was complete seperate from your character.  IF that is true, why would you get exp debt and repair?  I haven't seen loot or coin in the dungeons either.  Are you talkiing about the dungeon maker dungeons or regular dungeons?  Your post here makes it sound like death in these dungeons will raise your characters overal death count.</p>

apwyork
12-16-2011, 06:39 PM
<p>What I mean is in a regular dungeon, you get trivial consequences if you die.  In dungeon maker, you get no actual penalty for dying other than time spent running back.  Neither one really offers much in penalties so there is no reason why one should offer better rewards than the other.</p>