PDA

View Full Version : Does anyone know if Mercs can be used in PVP?

Dawnstrike
12-02-2011, 07:34 PM
<p>Was this tested in Beta? I just want to know if Nagafen is going to be that much more annoying with everyone having their merc by their side at every moment using them as another way to gank players.</p>

Ahlana
12-02-2011, 08:03 PM
Yes they act just like they do in PVE.. aside from you needing money to pay them

Dawnstrike
12-02-2011, 08:06 PM
<p>Thanks for clarifying.  This will be a significant change to game play on this server.  I'll ponder it over a glass of wine or three tonight.</p>

Ahlana
12-02-2011, 08:07 PM
<cite>Dawnstrike wrote:</cite><blockquote><p>Thanks for clarifying.  This will be a significant change to game play on this server.  I'll ponder it over a glass of wine or three tonight.</p></blockquote> Note they have no PVP Gear/Stats. they go down like a wet noodle.. With exception of a healer, I don't see them being that much of a change for PVP

Ilovecows
12-02-2011, 08:09 PM
<p>I really hope they change them from working in pvp.</p>

Dawnstrike
12-02-2011, 08:14 PM
<p>Well it will be interesting to see what chance a mage or healer has up against a fighter/scout with a merc healer.  Poorly geared upcoming players probably won't have a chance. </p><p>A healer most likely won't have an advantage if they get a Paladin merc since the merc most likely won't last long for protection or DPS for the healer.</p><p>We'll have to see how it goes. I'm just making assumptions based on what I know so far.</p>

Ahlana
12-02-2011, 08:15 PM
<cite>[email protected] wrote:</cite><blockquote><p>I really hope they change them from working in pvp.</p></blockquote> Seems like it could've been simple. They have a built in fright mechanism they use when getting beat on. The higher their fright level the worse they do at their jobs. If they made PVP combat up their fright to 100% it seems that maybe they could have squashed the feature in open world PVP. /shrug

Dawnstrike
12-02-2011, 08:16 PM
<p>Maybe this would be a good reason to merge PVP and PVE gear stats again.  Grinding two sets of gear has been annoying since they implemented it. </p>

Ilovecows
12-02-2011, 08:29 PM
<p><cite>Ahlana wrote:</cite></p><blockquote><cite>[email protected] wrote:</cite><blockquote><p>I really hope they change them from working in pvp.</p></blockquote> Seems like it could've been simple. They have a built in fright mechanism they use when getting beat on. The higher their fright level the worse they do at their jobs. If they made PVP combat up their fright to 100% it seems that maybe they could have squashed the feature in open world PVP. /shrug</blockquote><p>Yes, they should do that.  Mercs should be instantly dismissed when someone enters pvp combat.  Although I have not yet had a change to test them out, it would force everyone on pvp servers to buy the AoD expansion if they want to be able to compete with other people in pvp who have bought the expansion.</p>

Killque
12-02-2011, 10:57 PM
<p>So yeah, what the heck is a Merc.</p>

Dawnstrike
12-02-2011, 11:10 PM
<p><cite>Killque wrote:</cite></p><blockquote><p>So yeah, what the heck is a Merc.</p></blockquote><p>I'm sure someone else that knows more can explain it better and include links that explain it. From what I understand there will be mercenary's that you can hire to help you in the world. For example you can hire a Paladin for DPS, take them into a dungeon or open world and they will act as a paladin does with full Adept level spells with PVE gear.  Or you can hire a healer to heal you etc.</p><p>This would obviously be detremental with these merc dps and healers in open world PVP. As it is today at least you have to organize group to try to beat the opposing faction.  So I was wondering how this would effect the PVP server? More specifically will your Merc fight and protect you in PVP when the expansion goes live? So far there haven't been many clear answers.  I guess we'll find out more soon.</p>

Lempo
12-03-2011, 12:39 AM
<p>Dawnstrike pretty much summed it up. A merc is a mercenary, a gun for hire. The most powerful ones will be available through the SC shop eventually, others can be quested for or hired in the cities based on what little dev info has been posted on them.</p><p>Actually Dawnstrike was wrong on part of it ALL merc abilities/CA's/Spells with be Masters (yes you read it right Masters) except for healer mercs heal spells they will be expert.</p>

Ilovecows
12-03-2011, 02:06 AM
<p>I heard that all spells will vary between expert and master and all healer abilities will be adept.</p>

Dawnstrike
12-03-2011, 02:10 AM
<p><cite>[email protected] wrote:</cite></p><blockquote><p>Dawnstrike pretty much summed it up. A merc is a mercenary, a gun for hire. The most powerful ones will be available through the SC shop eventually, others can be quested for or hired in the cities based on what little dev info has been posted on them.</p><p>Actually Dawnstrike was wrong on part of it ALL merc abilities/CA's/Spells with be Masters (yes you read it right Masters) except for healer mercs heal spells they will be expert.</p></blockquote><p>Well thanks Lempo for clarifying here and backing up some on the same questions I had on another thread. I had not realized the Merc spells would not be at Adept but in fact at Master? Even more to consider if they will be used in PVP.</p><p>Unfortunately due to lack of information; the only solice we may have is that we think the Mercs will be disabled in PVP like they are with diety pets for example. </p><p>I am surprised we haven't heard from PVP'ers in Beta on this subject.  It would be nice to know that someone involved in Beta in the PVP community knows how this would affect our gameplay experience if any.</p>

Ahlana
12-03-2011, 01:06 PM
<p>Dawn I was in beta and answered your questions.</p><p>Mercs do work in PVP. They will protect and assist you in PVP battles.</p><p>They do not have PVP Gear or Stats and therefor other than healers are pretty much worthless in PVP. With exception of toons out questing and not in their PVP Gear.</p><p>You need to have coin on you to pay them. They take pay every 30mins, so if you want to actively use them you will need cash on you at all times.</p><p>Lempo is wrong, their spells range from expert to master, with healers at adept. Their Crit Chance is horrible.</p><p>There are a few rare mercs that appear now and then and poof for a time after they are hired. These ones have improved stats ect...</p><p>PVP was only on for a bit on the Beta server so only going live will we see the full impact.</p>

Rahatmattata
12-03-2011, 06:35 PM
<p>mercs in pvp sounds fing terrible. gg again soe</p>

Dawnstrike
12-04-2011, 10:20 PM
<p>Yeah I just read a note today from a Dev somewhere that they plan to implement them in BG's eventually as well.  Not really sure why they'd want to do that. </p>

General_Info
12-05-2011, 01:11 AM
<p><cite>Dawnstrike wrote:</cite></p><blockquote><p>Yeah I just read a note today from a Dev somewhere that they plan to implement them in BG's eventually as well.  Not really sure why they'd want to do that. </p></blockquote><p>If you are fighting a player you normally beat or you are evenly matched if he has AOD and hires a merc and you dont have AOD chances are if the fight turns out neck and neck and you lose and his merc is still standing you'll be raging that he used a merc and beat you(thus encouraging you to buy AOD)</p><p>That's how i see it anyway.</p>

Balrok
12-07-2011, 10:58 AM
<p>I watched parts of the fan fair dev panel... and I had to just walk away when they asked the panel if Mercs work in PvP.  They all just looked around at eachother is complete confusion.  Like, <em>"Did he just ask us about Mercs in PvP... do we even have a PvP server?"  </em>The simple fact that they never turned pvp on beta should speak volumes.</p><p>It will be completely untested PvP Combat, so who knows what will happen.  SOE certainly has no clue, I can say that.  My guess is they will hit for PvE values and one shot everyone.</p><p>Good luck!</p>

Twinbladed
12-07-2011, 11:06 AM
<p>Lol well no one can complain about there class sucking in pvp if mercs work. I personal didn't see the point of spending money for 20 aa's, beastlord, and mercs, with 0 added content, 0 fixes to the already messed up system. </p>

Ahlana
12-07-2011, 12:32 PM
<cite>[email protected] wrote:</cite><blockquote><p>I watched parts of the fan fair dev panel... and I had to just walk away when they asked the panel if Mercs work in PvP.  They all just looked around at eachother is complete confusion.  Like, <em>"Did he just ask us about Mercs in PvP... do we even have a PvP server?"  </em>The simple fact that they never turned pvp on beta should speak volumes.</p><p>It will be completely untested PvP Combat, so who knows what will happen.  SOE certainly has no clue, I can say that.  My guess is they will hit for PvE values and one shot everyone.</p><p>Good luck!</p></blockquote> /sigh They DID TURN PVP ON IN BETA... Mercs DO WORK IN PVP... However they do not have PVP Stats/Gear AND you must keep money on you to use them (else run back to town every 30mins)

Balrok
12-07-2011, 12:54 PM
<p><cite>Ahlana wrote:</cite></p><blockquote>They DID TURN PVP ON IN BETA... Mercs DO WORK IN PVP... </blockquote><p>Nice.. didn't know that or wasn't online when they enabled it.  So how hard to they hit/heal?</p>

Ahlana
12-07-2011, 01:43 PM
<cite>[email protected] wrote:</cite><blockquote><p><cite>Ahlana wrote:</cite></p><blockquote>They DID TURN PVP ON IN BETA... Mercs DO WORK IN PVP... </blockquote><p>Nice.. didn't know that or wasn't online when they enabled it.  So how hard to they hit/heal?</p></blockquote> I honestly doubt in PVP gear that anything but a healer will cause any change in a battle tbh. But the one thing they did not provide us was PVP gear to get a good grasp on what they will do. But considering they do less DPS than a player anyways and our PVP gear will make it even worse.. I seriously don't see anything but healers adding anything to open world PVP /shrug

Vyal
12-07-2011, 02:45 PM
<p>Are the servers up yet? Idk if my game is glitched or what, but it says they are still locked.</p>

Ilovecows
12-07-2011, 05:59 PM
<p><cite>Ahlana wrote:</cite></p><blockquote><cite>[email protected]agafen wrote:</cite><blockquote><p><cite>Ahlana wrote:</cite></p><blockquote>They DID TURN PVP ON IN BETA... Mercs DO WORK IN PVP... </blockquote><p>Nice.. didn't know that or wasn't online when they enabled it.  So how hard to they hit/heal?</p></blockquote>I honestly doubt in PVP gear that anything but a healer will cause any change in a battle tbh. But the one thing they did not provide us was PVP gear to get a good grasp on what they will do. But considering they do less DPS than a player anyways and our PVP gear will make it even worse.. I seriously don't see anything but healers adding anything to open world PVP /shrug </blockquote><p>They may not at the moment, aside from healers which will still be a problem, but imagine next GU.  They said they were planning on adding mercs into BGs.  Do you think they would stop there?  I seriously won't be surprised if they add in mercs with pvp gear.  When that happens, though, it will probably be the end for me.</p>

Crismorn
12-07-2011, 06:00 PM
<p>grats solo scouts</p>

Ahlana
12-07-2011, 06:02 PM
<cite>[email protected] wrote:</cite><blockquote><p><cite>Ahlana wrote:</cite></p><blockquote><cite>[email protected] wrote:</cite><blockquote><p><cite>Ahlana wrote:</cite></p><blockquote>They DID TURN PVP ON IN BETA... Mercs DO WORK IN PVP... </blockquote><p>Nice.. didn't know that or wasn't online when they enabled it.  So how hard to they hit/heal?</p></blockquote>I honestly doubt in PVP gear that anything but a healer will cause any change in a battle tbh. But the one thing they did not provide us was PVP gear to get a good grasp on what they will do. But considering they do less DPS than a player anyways and our PVP gear will make it even worse.. I seriously don't see anything but healers adding anything to open world PVP /shrug </blockquote><p>They may not at the moment, aside from healers which will still be a problem, but imagine next GU.  They said they were planning on adding mercs into BGs.  Do you think they would stop there?  I seriously won't be surprised if they add in mercs with pvp gear.  When that happens, though, it will probably be the end for me.</p></blockquote> I did not see anything official about mercs in BGs only hear say. If it is official then I am sure there will be PVP versions of mercs and that will be horrible.

Ilovecows
12-07-2011, 06:12 PM
<p><cite>Ahlana wrote:</cite></p><blockquote><cite>[email protected] wrote:</cite><blockquote><p><cite>Ahlana wrote:</cite></p><blockquote><cite>[email protected] wrote:</cite><blockquote><p><cite>Ahlana wrote:</cite></p><blockquote>They DID TURN PVP ON IN BETA... Mercs DO WORK IN PVP... </blockquote><p>Nice.. didn't know that or wasn't online when they enabled it.  So how hard to they hit/heal?</p></blockquote>I honestly doubt in PVP gear that anything but a healer will cause any change in a battle tbh. But the one thing they did not provide us was PVP gear to get a good grasp on what they will do. But considering they do less DPS than a player anyways and our PVP gear will make it even worse.. I seriously don't see anything but healers adding anything to open world PVP /shrug </blockquote><p>They may not at the moment, aside from healers which will still be a problem, but imagine next GU.  They said they were planning on adding mercs into BGs.  Do you think they would stop there?  I seriously won't be surprised if they add in mercs with pvp gear.  When that happens, though, it will probably be the end for me.</p></blockquote>I did not see anything official about mercs in BGs only hear say. If it is official then I am sure there will be PVP versions of mercs and that will be horrible.</blockquote><p>Dawnstrike said he/she saw a dev say that they wanted to implement mercs into BGs.  idk if that is a rumor or not, but i am hoping it is just a rumor.</p>

Ahlana
12-07-2011, 06:20 PM
<cite>[email protected] wrote:</cite><blockquote><p><cite>Ahlana wrote:</cite></p><blockquote><cite>[email protected] wrote:</cite><blockquote><p><cite>Ahlana wrote:</cite></p><blockquote><cite>[email protected] wrote:</cite><blockquote><p><cite>Ahlana wrote:</cite></p><blockquote>They DID TURN PVP ON IN BETA... Mercs DO WORK IN PVP... </blockquote><p>Nice.. didn't know that or wasn't online when they enabled it.  So how hard to they hit/heal?</p></blockquote>I honestly doubt in PVP gear that anything but a healer will cause any change in a battle tbh. But the one thing they did not provide us was PVP gear to get a good grasp on what they will do. But considering they do less DPS than a player anyways and our PVP gear will make it even worse.. I seriously don't see anything but healers adding anything to open world PVP /shrug </blockquote><p>They may not at the moment, aside from healers which will still be a problem, but imagine next GU.  They said they were planning on adding mercs into BGs.  Do you think they would stop there?  I seriously won't be surprised if they add in mercs with pvp gear.  When that happens, though, it will probably be the end for me.</p></blockquote>I did not see anything official about mercs in BGs only hear say. If it is official then I am sure there will be PVP versions of mercs and that will be horrible.</blockquote><p>Dawnstrike said he/she saw a dev say that they wanted to implement mercs into BGs.  idk if that is a rumor or not, but i am hoping it is just a rumor.</p></blockquote> Well I never saw that on the Beta boards.. it does not mean it wasn't said. They weren't even sure at first how they would act in PVP and eventually had to open the Beta to PVP for a few days just to see lol. They honestly had no PVP foresight with these things at all. But I would not be surprised if they started carrying PVP Stats and worked in BGs.

Ilovecows
12-07-2011, 06:42 PM
<p><cite>Ahlana wrote:</cite></p><blockquote><cite>[email protected] wrote:</cite><blockquote><p><cite>Ahlana wrote:</cite></p><blockquote><cite>[email protected] wrote:</cite><blockquote><p><cite>Ahlana wrote:</cite></p><blockquote><cite>[email protected] wrote:</cite><blockquote><p><cite>Ahlana wrote:</cite></p><blockquote>They DID TURN PVP ON IN BETA... Mercs DO WORK IN PVP... </blockquote><p>Nice.. didn't know that or wasn't online when they enabled it.  So how hard to they hit/heal?</p></blockquote>I honestly doubt in PVP gear that anything but a healer will cause any change in a battle tbh. But the one thing they did not provide us was PVP gear to get a good grasp on what they will do. But considering they do less DPS than a player anyways and our PVP gear will make it even worse.. I seriously don't see anything but healers adding anything to open world PVP /shrug </blockquote><p>They may not at the moment, aside from healers which will still be a problem, but imagine next GU.  They said they were planning on adding mercs into BGs.  Do you think they would stop there?  I seriously won't be surprised if they add in mercs with pvp gear.  When that happens, though, it will probably be the end for me.</p></blockquote>I did not see anything official about mercs in BGs only hear say. If it is official then I am sure there will be PVP versions of mercs and that will be horrible.</blockquote><p>Dawnstrike said he/she saw a dev say that they wanted to implement mercs into BGs.  idk if that is a rumor or not, but i am hoping it is just a rumor.</p></blockquote>Well I never saw that on the Beta boards.. it does not mean it wasn't said. They weren't even sure at first how they would act in PVP and eventually had to open the Beta to PVP for a few days just to see lol. They honestly had no PVP foresight with these things at all. But I would not be surprised if they started carrying PVP Stats and worked in BGs.</blockquote><p>I'm honestly not surprised that they didn't have any pvp forsight with the mercs, they don't even care about the pvp part of the game anymore.</p>