PDA

View Full Version : Character slots by region affected...how?

WeatherMan
11-12-2011, 01:30 PM
<p>Something that hasn't been addressed (as far as going through all the posts has been able to show) that I have seen is 'character slots by region'.  I understand that those folks on Freeport get to keep those slots in addition to any live slots they have - which is good - but I refer to something that predates EQ2x, namely toons on different regions.</p><p>As an example, if 'Bob' has all 12 (or whatever) of his North American slots full (Nagafen, Oasis, Crushbone, whatever), but he also has some toons on European servers (say, Splitpaw and Barren Sky), PLUS he's filled up the Test server as well, that's 36 toons, <em><strong>not</strong></em> including any that may happen to be on Freeport.</p><p>Will the regional rules still be in effect, or are people going to have to choose?</p><p>And as an aside - what, if any, changes to Test server will be taking place?  Not saying I expect anything different (or better), I just don't want something rearing its dev-altered head unexpectedly and biting me in the backside.</p>

Banedon_Toran
11-12-2011, 07:14 PM
<p>Freeport is joining the English_US region and hence the issue that we lose the basic slots that the "extended" region had.</p><p>Same was true when the EU PvP servers were merged to Nagafen some years back.</p><p>Current live players will be unaffected by the whole business.</p><p>Although EQ2 is becoming Free 2 Play, what is actually happening is that Freeport server is joining the main EQ2 brand/login server/region/etc, <em>then</em> EQ2 is going Free 2 Play.  Think of it that way, rather than (as I have seen in some posts) EQ2 servers moving to EQ2X.</p>

WeatherMan
11-12-2011, 10:21 PM
<p><cite>Banedon_Toran wrote:</cite></p><blockquote><p>Freeport is joining the English_US region and hence the issue that we lose the basic slots that the "extended" region had.</p><p>Same was true when the EU PvP servers were merged to Nagafen some years back.</p><p>Current live players will be unaffected by the whole business.</p><p>Although EQ2 is becoming Free 2 Play, what is actually happening is that Freeport server is joining the main EQ2 brand/login server/region/etc, <em>then</em> EQ2 is going Free 2 Play.  Think of it that way, rather than (as I have seen in some posts) EQ2 servers moving to EQ2X.</p></blockquote><p>Right, but the question is actually one that doesn't concern the Freeport server at all.</p><p>Basically:</p><p>North American live servers - say you have 12 characters</p><p>European live servers - again, total of 12 characters</p><p>Test live server - total of 12 characters</p><p>Total of 36 characters, all on live servers.  Specifically a live-server question, does the new model force us to choose between live NA, live EU, and live Test toons when deciding which toons we play?</p><p><strong><em>City of Heroes</em></strong> did it the right way when they went F2P.  They locked all the characters across all servers, then gave you a fixed numbert of 'slots' to unlock.  All your characters were still there, you simply had to choose which ones you wanted to play <em><strong>now</strong></em>(unless you paid a monthly fee, of course).  The others remained frozen and unplayable unless you bought more slots to 'unlock' them (or even create new characters, and just leave them frozen).  You got to pick which toons to play - something SOE could take a page from, considering what a colossal pain in the tush this issue has been for them in times past.</p>

retro_guy
11-12-2011, 10:27 PM
<p><cite>WeatherMan wrote:</cite></p><blockquote><p><cite>Banedon_Toran wrote:</cite></p><blockquote><p>Freeport is joining the English_US region and hence the issue that we lose the basic slots that the "extended" region had.</p><p>Same was true when the EU PvP servers were merged to Nagafen some years back.</p><p>Current live players will be unaffected by the whole business.</p><p>Although EQ2 is becoming Free 2 Play, what is actually happening is that Freeport server is joining the main EQ2 brand/login server/region/etc, <em>then</em> EQ2 is going Free 2 Play.  Think of it that way, rather than (as I have seen in some posts) EQ2 servers moving to EQ2X.</p></blockquote><p>Right, but the question is actually one that doesn't concern the Freeport server at all.</p><p>Basically:</p><p>North American live servers - say you have 12 characters</p><p>European live servers - again, total of 12 characters</p><p>Test live server - total of 12 characters</p><p>Total of 36 characters, all on live servers.  Specifically a live-server question, does the new model force us to choose between live NA, live EU, and live Test toons when deciding which toons we play?</p><p><strong><em>City of Heroes</em></strong> did it the right way when they went F2P.  They locked all the characters across all servers, then gave you a fixed numbert of 'slots' to unlock.  All your characters were still there, you simply had to choose which ones you wanted to play <em><strong>now</strong></em>(unless you paid a monthly fee, of course).  The others remained frozen and unplayable unless you bought more slots to 'unlock' them (or even create new characters, and just leave them frozen).  You got to pick which toons to play - something SOE could take a page from, considering what a colossal pain in the tush this issue has been for them in times past.</p></blockquote><p>But nothing is happening to these 3 server sets.</p><p>NA live servers will have the option of playing for free if they choose.</p><p>Euro servers will also have the free option if they choose.</p><p>Test never had to pay for this, as long as you had a live sub, so I doubt much will change there, maybe you can play on test for free with restrictions?</p><p>So I don't see anything changing, you can still have 36 character across those server sets if you choose.</p><p>But what happens with allmy characters on Bazaar when it gets merged with Freeport, will I be allowed to have 14 character slots?</p>

WeatherMan
11-12-2011, 10:55 PM
<p><cite>retro_guy wrote:</cite></p><blockquote><p><cite>WeatherMan wrote:</cite></p><blockquote><p><cite>Banedon_Toran wrote:</cite></p><blockquote><p>Freeport is joining the English_US region and hence the issue that we lose the basic slots that the "extended" region had.</p><p>Same was true when the EU PvP servers were merged to Nagafen some years back.</p><p>Current live players will be unaffected by the whole business.</p><p>Although EQ2 is becoming Free 2 Play, what is actually happening is that Freeport server is joining the main EQ2 brand/login server/region/etc, <em>then</em> EQ2 is going Free 2 Play.  Think of it that way, rather than (as I have seen in some posts) EQ2 servers moving to EQ2X.</p></blockquote><p>Right, but the question is actually one that doesn't concern the Freeport server at all.</p><p>Basically:</p><p>North American live servers - say you have 12 characters</p><p>European live servers - again, total of 12 characters</p><p>Test live server - total of 12 characters</p><p>Total of 36 characters, all on live servers.  Specifically a live-server question, does the new model force us to choose between live NA, live EU, and live Test toons when deciding which toons we play?</p><p><strong><em>City of Heroes</em></strong> did it the right way when they went F2P.  They locked all the characters across all servers, then gave you a fixed numbert of 'slots' to unlock.  All your characters were still there, you simply had to choose which ones you wanted to play <em><strong>now</strong></em>(unless you paid a monthly fee, of course).  The others remained frozen and unplayable unless you bought more slots to 'unlock' them (or even create new characters, and just leave them frozen).  You got to pick which toons to play - something SOE could take a page from, considering what a colossal pain in the tush this issue has been for them in times past.</p></blockquote><p>But nothing is happening to these 3 server sets.</p><p>NA live servers will have the option of playing for free if they choose.</p><p>Euro servers will also have the free option if they choose.</p><p>Test never had to pay for this, as long as you had a live sub, so I doubt much will change there, maybe you can play on test for free with restrictions?</p><p>So I don't see anything changing, you can still have 36 character across those server sets if you choose.</p><p>But what happens with allmy characters on Bazaar when it gets merged with Freeport, will I be allowed to have 14 character slots?</p></blockquote><p>I hope you are correct when you say nothing is happening to the way things are done with those server sets...knowing SOE, though, and their capacity to make completely irrational decisions, I am waiting to see on this one.</p><p>As I understand it, if you have 14 definitive characters (and not just slots) between both servers, then yes, you will have 14 character slots.  The hitch is, there must already be a character there - as I understand it, empty slots outside of their reconfigured new totals go away.</p>

arvydys
11-12-2011, 11:37 PM
<p><cite>WeatherMan wrote:</cite></p><blockquote><p><strong><em></em></strong></p><p>I hope you are correct when you say nothing is happening to the way things are done with those server sets...knowing SOE, though, and their capacity to make completely irrational decisions, I am waiting to see on this one.</p><p>As I understand it, if you have 14 definitive characters (and not just slots) between both servers, then yes, you will have 14 character slots.  The hitch is, there must already be a character there - as I understand it, empty slots outside of their reconfigured new totals go away.</p></blockquote><p>The seven slots granted to freeport to existing live subscribers was a bonus.  They were there so people could check out freeport.  I think many people rolled a toon or two over there to check it out, but the amount of people that played actively on both servers is pretty miniscule.</p><p>They are actually taking the CoH model and doing them one better.  You dont have to choose which character, you get all of them.</p>

arvydys
11-12-2011, 11:39 PM
<p><cite>retro_guy wrote:</cite></p><blockquote><p><strong><em></em></strong></p><p>But what happens with allmy characters on Bazaar when it gets merged with Freeport, will I be allowed to have 14 character slots?</p></blockquote><p>You get as many slots as you have characters created before the f2p announcement (minimum of 7)</p>

WeatherMan
11-13-2011, 02:51 PM
<p><cite>[email protected]_old wrote:</cite></p><blockquote><p><cite>retro_guy wrote:</cite></p><blockquote><p><strong><em></em></strong></p><p>But what happens with allmy characters on Bazaar when it gets merged with Freeport, will I be allowed to have 14 character slots?</p></blockquote><p>You get as many slots as you have characters created before the f2p announcement (minimum of 7)</p></blockquote><p>I am going to roll the dice, and say that this is the answer I was looking for.</p><p>Thanks, Ic.</p>