PDA

View Full Version : EQ2 getting too easy?


kahplakt
10-24-2011, 04:04 PM
<p>I have been a long time EQ and EQ2 player but over the last few major updates the game seems to have lost the challenge and risk versus reward.   I have been slowly forming this opinion but last night one event solidified it for me.</p><p>I started playing an alt that I have not played in a while - a lvl 40 PAL.  While cruising around everfrost I ran into and fairly easily soloed Dreadwake a lvl 42^^^.</p><p>That is just not right, a lvl40 soloing (with little risk of dying) a 42^^^.  So I tried to push it as was able to also solo ad 44^^^.</p><p>What is the point of levels and heroic encounters?  I know everyone plays for different reasons but for me, I am looking for a challenge, hard risky encounters - that is the way it used to be - much more fun.</p><p>I have also been running another experiement - I have been playing an assassin (now level 52) and been playing him smart but trying to regularly hunt white and yellow mobs and heroics - he has not died once!  and it has not been very challenging - just killing from tier to tier to get the next armour set.  Also, I like the re-speced items in the quests - but some of them are too good for the effort.</p><p>My chars have mastercrafted and some master spells but that should not make it so I can easily solo a 42^^^ named at lvl 40.</p><p>I would like to see the game get a lot more challenging - bring back the risk versus reward.  The challenge of the encounters - it seems very mechanical now.</p>

Romulis
10-24-2011, 04:09 PM
<p>well with the lower player base than there used to be most people who start off new in this game are people who are wanting to play with friends.. and noone wants to have a heroic ground shaking encounter on every solo mob while questing. they just wanna level to the new stuff and enjoy playing the game with their friends....... or at least thats my assumption</p>

CoLD MeTaL
10-24-2011, 04:31 PM
<p>Yes they screwed up low level gear, get to 90 and try soloing the griffon or ry'gorr chief guy.  Then come complain.  Then try and get a group for anything and then you will discover what the real complaining is about.</p>

kahplakt
10-24-2011, 04:35 PM
<p><cite>[email protected] wrote:</cite></p><blockquote><p>and noone wants to have a heroic ground shaking encounter on every solo mob while questing. </p></blockquote><p>Agreed - there need to be a balance of encounters to account for different levels of player.  There needs to be enough solo content to satisfy the more casual players.  That being said, a lvl 40 should not be able to solo a lvl 44^^^ imo.  That basically means there is no such thing as a group encounter in that part of Everfrost - unless you go there at level 30 which seems rather silly.  Even a year ago, a lvl 44^^^ named mob would require at least a good tank and healer at lvl 40 or soloable starting at lvl 47-48.</p>

Hennyo
10-24-2011, 04:57 PM
I would like to bring up a very important point about this that is being completely ignored, in lower levels, particularly in the level range that the op mentioned, tank classes can often be more than a factor of 10 times more powerful than most all non tank classes. Judging content difficultly from someones impression of a clearly overpowered class at the level is a very poor comparison.

Romulis
10-24-2011, 05:03 PM
<p>alot of things come into play tho, gear, spell quality and player whos playing the toon. if your lv 40 tank in all mastercrafted with adept+ spells yeah you can solo alot of stuff you shouldnt. my dirge was soloing ^ & ^^ three to four levels higher then he was when he was in his 50s, but he also had best weapons possible, and all master crafted/adorned gear and tons of aa's so of course he could. but if you take an average new player toss them in quested gear..... tank or not they arent soloing a 44^^^ as any class.</p>

Lempo
10-24-2011, 05:07 PM
<p><cite>kahplakt wrote:</cite></p><blockquote><p><cite>[email protected] wrote:</cite></p><blockquote><p>and noone wants to have a heroic ground shaking encounter on every solo mob while questing. </p></blockquote><p>Agreed - there need to be a balance of encounters to account for different levels of player.  There needs to be enough solo content to satisfy the more casual players.  That being said, a lvl 40 should not be able to solo a lvl 44^^^ imo.  That basically means there is no such thing as a group encounter in that part of Everfrost - unless you go there at level 30 which seems rather silly. <strong><span style="color: #ff9900;"> Even a year ago, a lvl 44^^^ named mob would require at least a good tank and healer at lvl 40 or soloable starting at lvl 47-48.</span></strong></p></blockquote><p>All credibility gone with this statement. That was not the case a year ago AINEC.</p>

Trynt
10-24-2011, 05:15 PM
<p><cite>kahplakt wrote:</cite></p><blockquote>What is the point of levels and heroic encounters?  I know everyone plays for different reasons but for me, I am looking for a challenge, hard risky encounters - that is the way it used to be - much more fun.</blockquote><p>Sadly, you're in the minority these days.</p>

Nrgy
10-24-2011, 05:17 PM
<p>First of all ... there are very clear difficulty markers on mobs and the number in front of them isn't that much of a determining factor.  You said you were crusing around Everfront .. which is an outdoor questing zone.  You were fighting mobs 2 and 4 levels abobve youe and those mobs had ^^^ (triple up's) ratings.</p><p>The con systems is basically +/- 10 levels and always has been .. Red to Grey.  You should be able to fight anything in between those 20 levels and have a chance to not only survive, but to win.  Some classes will have a much easier time winning those fights than other classes and some classes might have to pull out the bag'O tricks in order to beat them.  I won't touch base on a Plate wearing defensive healing tank class fighting outdoor solo mobs, but I will say if your looking for a challenge there are plenty of places to find it.</p><p>Mobs come in several variations of strength; Solo, Heroic and Epic (x2,x3,x4).  The ^^^vvv up/down arrow system indicates the mobs strength in relation to normal mob without any ^^^ (up) or VVV  (down) arrows.  A level 44^^^ triple up arrow is stronger than a level 44 no arrow but still weaker than a level 45 vvv triple down arrow.</p><p>Additional, there is a HUGE difference between outdoor Heroic mobs and indoor heroic mobs.  If you find an outdoor level 44 Heroic and win that fight then you think you'll do the same to a level 44 indoor heroic with the same amount of effort, you'll be in for a shock.</p><p>It sounds like you are looking for a little bit more of a challenge.  If thats the case I'd suggest oyu move out of an even con zone into the next tier up and do some adventuring there.  i'm certain you'll find it more challenging.  Just keep in mind that while questing and adventuring in outdoor / overland zones the challenge is much less than doing the same inside an instanced dugeon.</p>

Onorem
10-24-2011, 05:19 PM
<p><cite>Nrgy wrote:</cite></p><blockquote>...  A level 44^^^ triple up arrow is stronger than a level 44 no arrow but still weaker than a level 45 vvv triple down arrow....</blockquote><p>What?</p>

Nrgy
10-24-2011, 05:22 PM
<p>I misspoke .. .http://eq2.wikia.com/wiki/Consider</p><p>When you target a monster, it may have up-arrows or down-arrows in the target window. The arrows indicate how powerful it is <em>for its level</em>. Here's a simplistic way of understanding the difficulty arrows:</p><ol><li>A ▲ one-up-arrow mob is an even match for 1 average player of the same level. </li><li>Each additional ▲ up-arrow means you need one more player to fight it. </li><li>If there are no arrows, or ▼ down-arrows, then the monster is weaker than a player of the same level. </li><li>Sometimes monsters are grouped together into an "encounter". In this case, the total difficulty comes from adding up the arrows on all of the monsters in the encounter. </li><li>The game automatically uses the label "Heroic" on any encounter that adds up to ▲▲ two up-arrows or more. </li><li>The game automatically uses the label "Epic" on any encounter that adds up to six up-arrows or more. </li></ol><p>Of course, you can improve your chances by using better gear/spells, or by having a higher level than the monster. Either of these scenarios lets you double the number of up-arrows that you can handle.</p><table ><tbody><tr><td><p>▼▼▼even ▲▲▲▲▲▲</p></td><td><p>= 1/4 as strong as a player= 1/2 as strong as a player= Good match for a player in poor gear and Apprentice spells= Good match for a player in average gear and Adept spells= Good match for 2 players= Good match for 3+ players</p></td></tr></tbody></table>

Dasein
10-24-2011, 05:27 PM
<p><cite>kahplakt wrote:</cite></p><blockquote><p>I have been a long time EQ and EQ2 player but over the last few major updates the game seems to have lost the challenge and risk versus reward.   I have been slowly forming this opinion but last night one event solidified it for me.</p><p>I started playing an alt that I have not played in a while - a lvl 40 PAL.  While cruising around everfrost I ran into and fairly easily soloed Dreadwake a lvl 42^^^.</p><p>That is just not right, a lvl40 soloing (with little risk of dying) a 42^^^.  So I tried to push it as was able to also solo ad 44^^^.</p><p>What is the point of levels and heroic encounters?  I know everyone plays for different reasons but for me, I am looking for a challenge, hard risky encounters - that is the way it used to be - much more fun.</p><p>I have also been running another experiement - I have been playing an assassin (now level 52) and been playing him smart but trying to regularly hunt white and yellow mobs and heroics - he has not died once!  and it has not been very challenging - just killing from tier to tier to get the next armour set.  Also, I like the re-speced items in the quests - but some of them are too good for the effort.</p><p>My chars have mastercrafted and some master spells but that should not make it so I can easily solo a 42^^^ named at lvl 40.</p><p>I would like to see the game get a lot more challenging - bring back the risk versus reward.  The challenge of the encounters - it seems very mechanical now.</p></blockquote><p>The power curve on lower levels is a bit off due to the gear and stat revamp, and addition  of AAs. You need to remeber Everfrost was one of the original zones, and hasn't got a ton of attention over the years, so encounter power is on the low side compared to what players are capable of these days.</p><p>However, EQ2 is still very challenging at the higher levels - Drunder and EoW require solid groups, gear and skill, and none of the DoV zones is trivial if done at the intended power level.</p>

Brigh
10-24-2011, 05:34 PM
<p><cite>kahplakt wrote:</cite></p><blockquote><p>I have been a long time EQ and EQ2 player but over the last few major updates the game seems to have lost the challenge and risk versus reward.   I have been slowly forming this opinion but last night one event solidified it for me.</p><p>I started playing an alt that I have not played in a while - a lvl 40 PAL.  While cruising around everfrost I ran into and fairly easily soloed Dreadwake a lvl 42^^^.</p><p>That is just not right, a lvl40 soloing (with little risk of dying) a 42^^^.  So I tried to push it as was able to also solo ad 44^^^.</p><p>What is the point of levels and heroic encounters?  I know everyone plays for different reasons but for me, I am looking for a challenge, hard risky encounters - that is the way it used to be - much more fun.</p><p>I have also been running another experiement - I have been playing an assassin (now level 52) and been playing him smart but trying to regularly hunt white and yellow mobs and heroics - he has not died once!  and it has not been very challenging - just killing from tier to tier to get the next armour set.  Also, I like the re-speced items in the quests - but some of them are too good for the effort.</p><p>My chars have mastercrafted and some master spells but that should not make it so I can easily solo a 42^^^ named at lvl 40.</p><p>I would like to see the game get a lot more challenging - bring back the risk versus reward.  The challenge of the encounters - it seems very mechanical now.</p></blockquote><p>Try playing again after resetting all your AA to 0 in each tree. You are trying to compare old content that was not designed for AAs. In the case of DW, it was x2 reduced to heroic.</p>

Yimway
10-24-2011, 05:49 PM
<p>Yes, this game is extremely trivial 1-89.  It has recently became slightly more trivial due to itemization.</p><p>Don't worry though, some challenge exists at level 90, you just have to suckup the 100 hours or so of gametime to get there.  Try not to learn any bad, sloppy habits playing the trivial game until then.  And remember when you get to the real content, you'll need to relearn your class.</p><p><span style="font-size: xx-small;">*I over generalized there, but really, not by much.</span></p>

Loxus
10-24-2011, 05:51 PM
<p><cite>kahplakt wrote:</cite></p><blockquote><p>I have been a long time EQ and EQ2 player but over the last few major updates the game seems to have lost the challenge and risk versus reward.   I have been slowly forming this opinion but last night one event solidified it for me.</p><p>I started playing an alt that I have not played in a while - a lvl 40 PAL.  While cruising around everfrost I ran into and fairly easily soloed Dreadwake a lvl 42^^^.</p><p>That is just not right, a lvl40 soloing (with little risk of dying) a 42^^^.  So I tried to push it as was able to also solo ad 44^^^.</p><p>What is the point of levels and heroic encounters?  I know everyone plays for different reasons but for me, I am looking for a challenge, hard risky encounters - that is the way it used to be - much more fun.</p><p>I have also been running another experiement - I have been playing an assassin (now level 52) and been playing him smart but trying to regularly hunt white and yellow mobs and heroics - he has not died once!  and it has not been very challenging - just killing from tier to tier to get the next armour set.  Also, I like the re-speced items in the quests - but some of them are too good for the effort.</p><p>My chars have mastercrafted and some master spells but that should not make it so I can easily solo a 42^^^ named at lvl 40.</p><p>I would like to see the game get a lot more challenging - bring back the risk versus reward.  The challenge of the encounters - it seems very mechanical now.</p></blockquote><p>Just out of curiousity, how many other people ran by you in Everfrost?  I'd question your eyesight if you said more than a dozen... on a live server.</p><p>Welcome to a 8 year old, extremely top-heavy, heavily evolved game where rather than people screaming they can't get gear above tresured because they can't find people to do lower level heroic encounters with.   And rather than letting content go to waste, they've made some things soloable which I think is awesome for lower levels.  Your game experience isn't hampered because there's rarely anyone playing at that level. </p><p>Second and main point:  How many AA's do you have?  Because there were no AA's for vanilla content which is what Everfrost is.  So unless your saying you'd rather have no AA's below level 60 and be confined to vanilla and DOF zones...   </p><p>Furthermore if you say more than 30 AA's (give or take)...  Again, when AA's where first introduced there was no slider bar.  You only gained AA's through named mob first kills and discovery of lands and rare tresures.  You couldn't adjust how much exp went to AA.  So if you adjusted your slider bar at anytime during the leveling of this toon, you're a victim of your own design.  Therefore, you have no one to blame but yourself for making it too easy on that account.</p><p>Ultimately, if you think it's too easy try soloing those mobs again or a zone like CT, or Permafrost, or any of the other level approprate heroic dungeons and see how you fair (after you reset all your AA's to not spent).  You may want to try that before you start claiming the game is too easy.</p>

Gaealiege
10-24-2011, 07:44 PM
<p>My suggestion to the OP is to go buy Demon's Souls and Dark Souls.  Hell I'll even play with you online.  I still enjoy a challenge, but you won't find much of it here.  There are a rare few console games with a true challenge, and more coming I hope!</p>

MurFalad
10-24-2011, 08:21 PM
<p><cite>[email protected] wrote:</cite></p><blockquote><p>Yes, this game is extremely trivial 1-89.  It has recently became slightly more trivial due to itemization.</p><p>Don't worry though, some challenge exists at level 90, you just have to suckup the 100 hours or so of gametime to get there.  Try not to learn any bad, sloppy habits playing the trivial game until then.  And remember when you get to the real content, you'll need to relearn your class.</p><p><span style="font-size: xx-small;">*I over generalized there, but really, not by much.</span></p></blockquote><p>Yep, levels 1-89 are more of a test of patience then a test of skill, which is a shame since apart from the extreme ease they still have some beautiful zones and good storylines.</p><p>Right now EQ2 seems to rely on looking for players who can solo easy content for 50-100 hours and then enjoy difficult content when they reach the level cap, rare people indeed.</p><p>The lower level gear is totally out of whack, there is barely any difference between treasured and dungeon lengendary too at many levels.  One of the worst examples is Kunark where the one arrow up named mobs drop gear on par with the best dungeon drops at that level.  Since there are so many of them and its a quiet zone you can more or less get a armful of tradeable legendaries for no effort at all, even less of a reason to group up when the best rewards are handed out so easily.</p>

Elskidor
10-25-2011, 12:29 AM
<p>I came a few years into the game and found it insanely easy while leveling compared to what I was used to from old school Everquest. The only time I felt a slight challenge, while leveling my first toon, was Kunark before they nerfed the difficulty and raised the xp. I believe they intend regular leveling to be a breeze, because at this late stage in the game nearly all the population is 90, and most of those who aren't are just alts of the 90's trying to catch up to play with their friends again. </p>

Emerica
10-25-2011, 12:39 AM
<p>This is honestly really true.</p><p>I got an email from soe because i had purched this game years ago and forgot i even had it to play for free back in late july. I now have 2 90 toons with max aa's and full em raid gear. I dont spent a ton of time playing either but man this game has no challenge to it even in raiding zones. Im sorry but throwing 24 people at a mob doesnt make it challenging either.</p><p>I hope sony you read some of this stuff. I honestly was hoping this game would be more of a challenge like back when i played eq 1 or vanguard. Its harder than wow, but not by much, i know you probably want new players but alot of people switch and leave games because they get too easy. 6 man content is a little more of a challenge but still no real contest.</p><p>There is also a huge lack of things to do once you get a toon to 90 with max aa;s. farming money or making alts seem to be it too, kind of lame if you dont like pushing 100 alts just to have fun.</p><p>I do enjoy the idea and it was fun leveling up and you guys had at one point in this game some really awesome story line, but since late july for me anyhow, its been rather dull. I just log in to talk to people and run them through zones, theres a lack of quested items for appearance even for something to do haha.</p><p>Anyways you have a good thing thats been going? still going, but you really need to change your plan of attack as a company running a game in this market.</p>

Brigh
10-25-2011, 12:49 AM
How about Eve Online-esque time-based progression fantasy MMOG with characters that have a choice of paths to go down in skills and a free-market player economy on one world? A developer/publisher would have to have balls to do it though (looks away from SoE).

Velenda
10-25-2011, 01:00 AM
<p>My issue is that I grey out areas before I've had the chance to really enjoy the story. Now ganted I just stall my leveling and finish they storylines that I start it just....well it just dosent feel like a natural progression. I do like the fact that I can controll when and how I level but leveling is far to fast. I really think if you lowered XP a bit, and got people to really dig in and explore the vast and beautful world then, perhaps you woulden't have so many bored 90's.</p><p>Some of us don't like to raid, some of us do, and some of us love to stop and smell the roses no matter where we are.</p><p>EQ2 you are in a very unique postion to keep all three camps happy. The content is there just amp up the monsters a tad.</p><p>Understand that this is coming from a very casual player, (not casual as in stupid, but casual as in 'I take my time' ), this is someone who has level locked a paladin alt in Antonica...this is someone who hates to grey out whole questslines in a half hour.</p><p>I need a challenge...and it 'aint crit-mit. >_></p>

Emerica
10-25-2011, 01:02 AM
<p>I mean its not even that they publish things fine, the game looks nice and its fun.</p><p>BUT!</p><p>How about when you guys released an expansion for a mmo and years later people still couldnt beat it? Or even better they were still farming it because it was that good and had that much content to do? I heard theres a new expac getting ready here but not everything has been beat and people will probably skip it because it wont be worth doing id imagine. Stuff like thats a shame.</p><p>What they have done is push new content like crazy instead of making stuff long and interesting and worth doing. Im not even as hardcore of a player as i used to be, but theres a lack of challenge here.  Get 24 people, get loot, farm harder stuff. Hit a point till they fix or tone down things, keep doing it. New expansion comes out, same thing happens and skip the older stuff because the newer gear is mega easier to get with better gear.</p><p>Wheres the long story line quests, wheres the raid zones that literally take a year to even get through because the idea's and concepts of the monsters you developed take that long to think about to beat or you gave us a game with THAT much content to do?</p><p>Im sorry but nothing ive seen since ive been playing this game is slightly interesting in the raiding tier. Theres not even mobs that enrage and destroy tanks who cant pay attention, and im only here since dov, so maybe this was different in the past. All the mobs heroic, raid, or harder 6 man content all are the same concepts. The only interesting thing ive seen in the fun huge aoeradius that happens in drunder but thats not even that cool because the mobs pathing blows so hard its pretty funny.</p><p>Its a shame admitting this too. They have some great idea's and maybe things will change? I know im not the only one that feels that way ive seen alot of posts on this place.</p>

Velenda
10-25-2011, 01:08 AM
<p><cite>Emerica wrote:</cite></p><blockquote><p>What they have done is push new content like crazy instead of making stuff long and interesting and worth doing. Im not even as hardcore of a player as i used to be, but theres a lack of challenge here.  Get 24 people, get loot, farm harder stuff. Hit a point till they fix or tone down things, keep doing it. New expansion comes out, same thing happens and skip the older stuff because the newer gear is mega easier to get with better gear.</p><p>Wheres the long story line quests, wheres the raid zones that literally take a year to even get through because the idea's and concepts of the monsters you developed take that long to think about to beat or you gave us a game with THAT much content to do?</p></blockquote><p>Ahh but don't forget the overland questing or you end up with, 'the Rift effect', where you have nothing but raids, and the world becomes a gaint empty hub. Oddly raiders aren't to happy with that either, (or so my friends tell me).</p><p>A challenge can me many things to many people, they unique postion that EQ2 is in is that they can keep both you and me happy. By tweaking the difficulty here, and there, I get my challenging questing, and you get your uber raids.</p><p>...and we are all happy. ^_^</p>

Emerica
10-25-2011, 01:12 AM
<p>Well my whole post mentions long quests with story line. That doesnt necessairly mean i want to raid non stop. I should have said heroic or raiding, with the notion that yes raiding will yield better items but heroic stuff should be hard too with better than average items!</p><p>I wish i didnt have to raid but theres nothing else to do when i log in so i can only relate to that since as long as ive been playing here thats kinda been it. Ive done every old quest in this game already that has any remotely cool story line or item that looks neat but like someone else mentioned they grey out early on so are only worth the appearance.</p>

Elskidor
10-25-2011, 01:17 AM
<p>The thing I loved about EQ1 was the time consumer on leveling. 6 months into playing the game for the first time I still wasn't capped, but I had had so much fun along the way it was much more entertaining. And because of the difficulty of leveling there was always tons of pick up server raids along the way, for the simple fact there was a bazillion players in mid section levels slowly climbing their way up.</p><p>You won't find a slow climb on eq2 unless you decide to level lock. There is no grinding, unless it's for aa, while along the way to level 90. You can log on and be level 90 in 1 day if you have the hours to spend, so at this point it really wouldn't make much difference to get rid of levels and have everyone begin at the equal skill of a level 90 without aa and gear. But even if things were made harder leveling up it wouldn't help at his late point in the game because there is nobody to group with in the level between 1-89. I returned to eq1 last year and level 1-80 zones were a barren wastleland. Sure, there was alot of talk in channels, but they were all sitting at level cap. Without a constant flow of new players there isnt really much point to make the leveling path more challenging. If eq2 gets new players and they have nobody to group with to face the challenging leveling path, they won't stick around.</p>

Emerica
10-25-2011, 01:20 AM
<p>Yeah thats a huge point that Im not sure many people can give a solution towards.</p><p>When i leveled up from 10 two months ago, i met 0 people. The only reason i even got through some levels at a decent speed was because someone saw my tag up for 4 days. The level grind wasnt super easy nor mega hard but I wasnt graced with potions or rested xp or having 10+ toons on an account either. Ive heard that makes it crazy easy.</p>

SOE-MOD-04
10-25-2011, 01:46 AM
This post has moved: <a href="/eq2/posts/preList.m?topic_id=500111&post_id=5648854" target="_blank" rel="nofollow">/eq2/posts/preList.m?topic_id=50011...post_id=5648854</a> Removed for trolling

Felshades
10-25-2011, 02:01 AM
<p><cite>kahplakt wrote:</cite></p><blockquote><p>I have been a long time EQ and EQ2 player but over the last few major updates the game seems to have lost the challenge and risk versus reward.   I have been slowly forming this opinion but last night one event solidified it for me.</p><p>I started playing an alt that I have not played in a while - a lvl 40 PAL.  While cruising around everfrost I ran into and fairly easily soloed Dreadwake a lvl 42^^^.</p><p>That is just not right, a lvl40 soloing (with little risk of dying) a 42^^^.  So I tried to push it as was able to also solo ad 44^^^.</p><p>What is the point of levels and heroic encounters?  I know everyone plays for different reasons but for me, I am looking for a challenge, hard risky encounters - that is the way it used to be - much more fun.</p><p>I have also been running another experiement - I have been playing an assassin (now level 52) and been playing him smart but trying to regularly hunt white and yellow mobs and heroics - he has not died once!  and it has not been very challenging - just killing from tier to tier to get the next armour set.  Also, I like the re-speced items in the quests - but some of them are too good for the effort.</p><p>My chars have mastercrafted and some master spells but that should not make it so I can easily solo a 42^^^ named at lvl 40.</p><p>I would like to see the game get a lot more challenging - bring back the risk versus reward.  The challenge of the encounters - it seems very mechanical now.</p></blockquote><p>You're playing a class with heals.</p><p>My zerker at the same level got creamed hard when I tried to kill Dreadwake. She got creamed tryig to solo Dreadwake at 45. I eventually gave up.</p><p>My dirge could also not do it, however my mystic had 0 issues.</p>

sick720
10-25-2011, 03:10 AM
<p>the game is almost 8 years old. most of the player base have at least 1 max level toon, the lower levels are easier now than they used to be and imo this is a good thing because the last thing any new player wants is a difficult time trying to get to max level where the real challenge starts. there are not many grouping oppertunities at lower level (for most servers) so soloing is what most have to do to reach end game level. if they want more of a challenge they can step into some of the dungeons and try soloing those.  i see no problem with the low level content being easy.</p>

Ruut Li
10-25-2011, 07:51 AM
<p>To compensate for the incredibly easy and hence boring overland zones (its torture to level up alts the 3rd time and onwards), they really need to beef of the dungeons a bit and, for the billionth time,: Give groups in dungeons group exp bonus! Which is something we actually got with the dungeon finder random bonus exp, BUT DF is so broken and not cross server, so it doesnt work. The group bonus exp should also apply to groups formed outside of DF. And for every member of the group the bonus should become greater.</p>

Romulis
10-25-2011, 10:26 AM
<p>"Try playing again after resetting all your AA to 0 in each tree. You are trying to compare old content that was not designed for AAs"    -Brigh</p><p>I lol'ed because your seriously right, Without the AA most classes dont have an advantage, try finding a zone thats white-yellow con and give it a go if you want a challenge.</p>

Jenadara
10-25-2011, 01:40 PM
<p><span style="color: #cc99ff;">Yes, people have responded about aa, and I'd have to agree.  Even tho they put more caps on aa at certain levels, it's still easy to just clear out whole zones on a tank with max aa.  I am not complaining because lvl 90 is still a long way away, and I think we should all just hush about this now before they make another aa cap. >.></span></p>

Velenda
10-27-2011, 01:19 PM
<p><cite>[email protected] wrote:</cite></p><blockquote><p>The thing I loved about EQ1 was the time consumer on leveling. 6 months into playing the game for the first time I still wasn't capped, but I had had so much fun along the way it was much more entertaining. And because of the difficulty of leveling there was always tons of pick up server raids along the way, for the simple fact there was a bazillion players in mid section levels slowly climbing their way up.</p><p>You won't find a slow climb on eq2 unless you decide to level lock. There is no grinding, unless it's for aa, while along the way to level 90. You can log on and be level 90 in 1 day if you have the hours to spend, so at this point it really wouldn't make much difference to get rid of levels and have everyone begin at the equal skill of a level 90 without aa and gear. But even if things were made harder leveling up it wouldn't help at his late point in the game because there is nobody to group with in the level between 1-89. I returned to eq1 last year and level 1-80 zones were a barren wastleland. Sure, there was alot of talk in channels, but they were all sitting at level cap. Without a constant flow of new players there isnt really much point to make the leveling path more challenging. If eq2 gets new players and they have nobody to group with to face the challenging leveling path, they won't stick around.</p></blockquote><p>I gave EQ a try this year and I have to agree...there was no one around in the starting areas....it was quiet and really lonely. Kinda sad really because there is so much lore and fun, (just like in EQ2), in those lower level areas.</p><p>I really that that Devs need to start concentrating on the adventure aspects of MMOs, the era of 'raid raid raid or die' is fading away and plenty of players just want a vast world to explore with goals that are far away...but not completely impossible.  </p><p>A little level grind isnt a bad thing, and as long as it's masked with a ton of quests, and stories, then people have more time to really apprecate the world of the game. The numbers game might appeal to some but to completely de-value the other years of content, for the next glowy gear piece, is not what allot of people are after now.</p><p>Guys you have the art and the lore....use it.</p>

Nrgy
10-27-2011, 01:40 PM
<p><cite>Velenda wrote:</cite></p><blockquote><p><span style="color: #ff9900;">My issue is that I grey out areas before I've had the chance to really enjoy the story</span><span style="color: #ff9900;">. Now ganted I just stall my leveling and finish they storylines that I start it just....well it just dosent feel like a natural progression</span>. I do like the fact that I can controll when and how I level but leveling is far to fast. <span style="color: #ff0000;">I really think if you lowered XP a bit, </span>and got people to really dig in and explore the vast and beautful world then, perhaps you woulden't have so many bored 90's.</p><p>Some of us don't like to raid, some of us do, and some of us love to stop and smell the roses no matter where we are.</p><p>EQ2 you are in a very unique postion to keep all three camps happy. The content is there just amp up the monsters a tad.</p><p>Understand that this is coming from a very casual player, (not casual as in stupid, but casual as in 'I take my time' ), this is someone who has level locked a paladin alt in Antonica...this is someone who hates to grey out whole questslines in a half hour.</p><p>I need a challenge...and it 'aint crit-mit. >_></p></blockquote><p><span style="color: #ff0000;">^^ No .. Adeventure XP is not currently any sort of issue and in fact, not even a good way to measure one's self.</span></p><p><span style="color: #ff9900;">^^ On one hand you say its too fast and the other you say you "stall" leveling and it doesn't seem "Natural".  I'm confused how you "stall" your leveling.  if you decidedly don't kill "extra" mobs or "hold back" quest turn-ins to do this, yeah that would be "unnatural".  But, WHY? wouldn't you just move your AA slider over so that rather than leveling out of an area too quickly, you could instead stay in that content as long as you like while at the same time continue to "naturally" build your character through "natural" progression of questing and killing.  The AA level on any character matches more closely to their progression than adventure levels ever would and you currently have 100% control over this mechanic, why not use it?</span></p><p>I'd fully expect to see posts from others of similar thinking in the "Can we have a Slow Mount" thread, but I've not read that or even opened it, becasue it is so far and completely both selfserving and on the verge of the greatest level of dumbness, that I cannot be bothered.  Another thread asking for nerfs which every player has 100% control over, but fail to leverage.</p>

Velenda
10-27-2011, 01:55 PM
<p>*shrug* It's just how I feel? I was just throwing out ideas and such and waxing about how I feel on the games mechanics. I don't measure my self by anyting in this game. I play because it's fun.</p><p>Yes I can stall my leveling any time I wish but leveling it'self is far to fast, as it is now. Come on you can get to 90 in one day....you have to know that there is something wrong with that.</p><p>...and selfserving? Really? It's just an opinion just like how you have your opinions.The way you replied to my post and your tone<em> "...on the verde of the greatestlevel of dumbness"</em> is self serving to your own interests...so there you go.  </p><p>Don't worry I'm not out to take away your fun or ruin your fun. I'm just talking about what's fun to me. Why is is such an issue to you? Hmmm?</p>