PDA

View Full Version : Ideas for items to use as "chair rail"


GussJr
04-01-2011, 03:52 PM
<p>Okay, getting ready to start my first real commision and I need some in put on a good item to use as chair railing. There will be wall above it (one color) and wall below it (second color). I am getting better with layouts, so that won't really be a problem, but I am drawing a blank on good items...</p>

Catri
04-01-2011, 05:55 PM
<p>It depends on the look you are going for, ornate, mystical, drunken den of depravity?</p><p>I was going to link an old pre-layouts project of mine that used chairs as a railing but the picture isn't very clear.</p><p>(http://forums.station.sony.com/eq2/posts/list.m?topic_id=455263)   That was using a comley teak chair, makes a nice weathered ironwork look.  I've seen grobb stone chairs used nicely for a natural look as well.   I've also seen watani beds used, to form passageways and arches.</p><p>For more mystic or high end looks the Euridite stuff from Quel'uleseems popular and looks great, as does some of the paineel stuff.<strong></strong></p>

Eveningsong
04-01-2011, 06:10 PM
<p>The problem with a chair rail is being able to sink items far enough into the wall that only the "rail" shows.  Have you considered using books?  There's a nice variety of designs/colours of spines now between the purchased and player crafted books, and they wouldn't be too large to hide in the wall, plus most books don't count against your item count <img src="/smilies/3b63d1616c5dfcf29f8a7a031aaa7cad.gif" border="0" alt="SMILEY" />. </p>

GussJr
04-01-2011, 06:10 PM
<p>That home is very neat!</p><p>In one of your pictures in that thread, with the red gaming table, you have the type of look I would be going for. If I have to use wall dividers and flip them with the layout editor, I can...I was maybe hoping for another solution. I will defininately play around with that if you don't mind me hijacking your idea <img src="/eq2/images/smilies/8a80c6485cd926be453217d59a84a888.gif" border="0" /></p>

GussJr
04-01-2011, 06:11 PM
<p><cite>Eveningsong wrote:</cite></p><blockquote><p>The problem with a chair rail is being able to sink items far enough into the wall that only the "rail" shows.  Have you considered using books?  There's a nice variety of designs/colours of spines now between the purchased and player crafted books, and they wouldn't be too large to hide in the wall, plus most books don't count against your item count <img src="/eq2/images/smilies/3b63d1616c5dfcf29f8a7a031aaa7cad.gif" border="0" />. </p></blockquote><p>oooo great idea! I had not thought of that. I usually use books for cabinet doors, etc...I will see how it looks.</p>

Bhael
04-01-2011, 07:12 PM
<p>If you sink half scaled dividers into the wall far enough only the top and bottom horizontal "boards"  or whatever you want to call them will stick out. Sink it down into the floor and you would only have the top board. That would work as a chair rail. Also as was shown in, I forget who's, but someone recient house post they used dividers as the wainscoting on a wall. It looked really nice.</p>

Catri
04-03-2011, 03:01 AM
<p><cite>GussJr wrote:</cite></p><blockquote><p>That home is very neat!</p><p>In one of your pictures in that thread, with the red gaming table, you have the type of look I would be going for. If I have to use wall dividers and flip them with the layout editor, I can...I was maybe hoping for another solution. I will defininately play around with that if you don't mind me hijacking your idea <img src="/eq2/images/smilies/8a80c6485cd926be453217d59a84a888.gif" border="0" /></p></blockquote><p>Feel free! I've stolen-I-mean-borrowed all SORTS of ideas from these boards! <img src="/smilies/283a16da79f3aa23fe1025c96295f04f.gif" border="0" alt="SMILEY" /> Considering some fo the stuff I've seen posted here I'm rather flattered that you think one of mine is theft worthy! <img src="/smilies/283a16da79f3aa23fe1025c96295f04f.gif" border="0" alt="SMILEY" /></p>

Aner
04-03-2011, 03:12 PM
my response is always use books but layering works as well | |.| ..|.| ....| hard to depict in text, but should get ya the idea

GussJr
04-04-2011, 12:34 PM
<p><cite>[email protected] Bayle wrote:</cite></p><blockquote>my response is always use books but layering works as well | |.| ..|.| ....| hard to depict in text, but should get ya the idea</blockquote><p>That does make sense. Like a molded chair rail? (I am doing the commision in one of the halas manors, so some of the rooms already give the appearance of a rail when you sink the tiles into the wall). I would need to cary that same look throughout the rest of the house.</p>

eq2housing
04-06-2011, 02:25 AM
<p>Or if the chair rail is to be thin, try:</p><p>floor tile</p><p>books (horizontally with spines facing toward the inside of the room)</p><p>floor tile</p><p>...</p><p>does that make sense? lol it makes sense in my head <img src="/smilies/3b63d1616c5dfcf29f8a7a031aaa7cad.gif" border="0" alt="SMILEY" /></p>

Aner
04-07-2011, 12:56 PM
if you go with books throughout, you can mask the existing architecture to carry the theme more fluidly otherwise i think it's maple? dividers i found matched the halas wood best

GussJr
04-08-2011, 12:23 PM
<p>Thanks so much for all the input! I will try and post some screen shots of the work-in-progress.</p><p>For the most part I used the existing architecture of the Halas Manor to simulate chair rail, and have found that luckily the house looks better with some walls not having any rail at all. There is only one built-in wall where the rail become an issue. Because I used tiles pitched vertical in the middle of the room, sinking items into the 'wall' juts into the adjacent room. (I probably should have used a room divider...user error).</p><p>I have lost a few books in the walls, and a lamp, from moving them too much with the layout editor and now I can't seem to fetch them out again...</p>