PDA

View Full Version : Home Design and Performance Settings

Mary the Prophetess
03-12-2011, 02:35 AM
<p>When visiting homes that are fully developed, I notice that there is increased lag, and at times my FPS drops down to under 10 at higher settings.  I also notice, (especially in 'breakout' homes), that it takes a long time to fully render all the objects, or that some objects do not render at all.</p><p>As I begin to design my own breakout house, I would like to get some feedback on what performance setting most of you use.  It will be of little use to me if I place a number of spider webs, (for example), if those that zone in will not be able to see them.</p><p>So:</p><p>1.  Extreme Quality</p><p>2.  Very High Quality</p><p>3.  High Quality</p><p>4.  Balanced</p><p>5.  High Performance</p><p>6. Very High Performance</p><p>7. Extreme Performance</p><p>8.  Custom</p><p>Your feedback on this would be greatly appreciated.</p>

Kamimura
03-12-2011, 03:43 AM
<p>Most of the time I run at a custom setting that's somewhere between high quality and very high quality.</p>

Masako
03-12-2011, 03:47 AM
<p>If I plan on visiting homes I'll have my settings on Balanced or High Quality.</p>

Jazabelle
03-12-2011, 04:51 AM
<p><cite>Mary the Prophetess wrote:</cite></p><blockquote><p>I also notice, (especially in 'breakout' homes), that it takes a long time to fully render all the objects, or that some objects do not render at all.</p></blockquote><p>This has more to do with where the break out house is located compared to where the character spawns in the zone. View distance plays an important part in this.</p><p>The closer you are to the location a character spawns when entering the zone, the quicker your house will appear for them. If a character were to log out in your broken out village, they would have instant load time when they logged back in.</p><p>This is why my own break out house appears to load instantly for most people -- it is so close to the zone-in point, it is already loaded when they take the teleporter to the house. And this is why break out houses situated far from the original house take people a long time to load once they teleport in.</p><p>Most house items will appear no matter what settings you have your computer on. They may lack most of their particle effects at lower settings but they <em>will</em> be there. Even (for example) spider webs.</p><p>Another reason you notice a lot of lag in break out houses is that the houses are technically a single room (the entire outdoors seems to count as a "room") with many many items in it. If you were to stack all of the items from a break out house in a single room in the default house, you would notice the same amount of lag. Spread those items out throughout the default house, and you find the lag drops quite a bit.</p><p>Edit to add: Because you have your teleporter set a slight distance from the village, forcing visitors to run up to the village, this gives the village time to load on their screen. They teleport in, and have nothing loaded. As they run up, the village is now within their view distance and so it loads. Unfortunately, because they were teleported so quickly (not that you can teleport slowly), it takes some time for the items to load. To make sure they have time to load, I would set the teleporter as far back from the village as you can, while still keeping the village in the view distance radius from the teleport pad (you can test this by setting your view distance as low as possible, and teleporting back and forth, then running up to the village. If it is mostly loaded by the time you get there, you're at a good distance! If not, play with the location a bit more.)</p><p>But for your feedback:</p><p>8. Custom. I run on custom settings somewhere around Very High Quality.</p>

SecrAtive Girl
03-12-2011, 05:56 AM
<p>i run on high quality all the time and don't have any problems. the more involed break out homes take a minute to load but it's always within a reasonable time.</p>

Whilhelmina
03-12-2011, 08:01 PM
<p>My computer won't go over balanced if I'm lucky. So usually it's balanced except if it's a 1000+ house where I need to drop the quality and even then I often have a computer reboot.</p><p>If the house is pretty good, I go on hubby computer and visit with a balanced or high quality.</p><p>I always push up particles for every setting</p>

Afista
03-13-2011, 12:06 AM
<p>I do most decorating on Balanced setting because my computer crashes when I go any higher and have over 700 items :p If I want to see something more detailed I use hubby's comp and run around at Very High Quality.</p>

Aner
03-13-2011, 12:54 PM
when i'm taking screenshots i typically bump up to high quality (no noticeable difference if i go to very high) otherwise i'm almost always on balanced when touring, i'll restart the game/computer before i lower settings