PDA

View Full Version : Wizard PvP Gear Question

Forebian
06-23-2010, 01:31 PM
<p>I left the game in 2006 as a level 67 with about 600 kills. On the other hand I had about 610 deaths so I was pretty much .500 which means I was the Chicago Cubs of PvP. Nothing special.</p><p>I came back about a month ago and am enjoying the game again with the exception that so much has changed that I may as well run around naked. My gear seems to be horribly inadequate. There is just about no-one I can defeat in straight-up 1 v 1 PvP. I attack other wizards and barely make a dent in them while I get vaporized.</p><p>I am saving tokens (I'm now 78th level) and plan on buying some gear at the PvP vendors when I hit 80.</p><p>So now to the question - If you're building your gear up where is the best place to start? Generally speaking that is, what is the best slot to start with? I see that the jewelry has wards which would definitely help, but the armor has increased crit potential and higher mitigation.</p><p>Where do I start to build a set that I can actually live for more than 30 seconds, especially against melee?</p><p>Thanks.</p>

zyllith
06-23-2010, 07:28 PM
<p><cite>Forebian wrote:</cite></p><blockquote><p>I left the game in 2006 as a level 67 with about 600 kills. On the other hand I had about 610 deaths so I was pretty much .500 which means I was the Chicago Cubs of PvP. Nothing special.</p><p>I came back about a month ago and am enjoying the game again with the exception that so much has changed that I may as well run around naked. My gear seems to be horribly inadequate. There is just about no-one I can defeat in straight-up 1 v 1 PvP. I attack other wizards and barely make a dent in them while I get vaporized.</p><p>I am saving tokens (I'm now 78th level) and plan on buying some gear at the PvP vendors when I hit 80.</p><p>So now to the question - If you're building your gear up where is the best place to start? Generally speaking that is, what is the best slot to start with? I see that the jewelry has wards which would definitely help, but the armor has increased crit potential and higher mitigation.</p><p>Where do I start to build a set that I can actually live for more than 30 seconds, especially against melee?</p><p>Thanks.</p></blockquote><p>As someone who a) runs soft and squishy toons and b) who also has a survival time measured in seconds, the good PvP gear will stop an initial one-shot button-masher; beyond that (as Paill has said on another thread) it's 99% about preparation and AA lines, only 1% about the encounter.  You want gear that has high resists and mit's, beyond that build out your defensive AA lines -- detaunts, stuns and roots are your best friend as you simply won't survive one-vs-one against most melee classes and you will need to detaunt, stun, root and run like anything when you meet one. </p><p>BG's are your best friend here; go do a Klak but instead of playing with the relic pick an opposing class and try out your moves on him -- do they stop him or just annoy him?  Practice with spell sequences, play with ranges, learn the weaknesses of other other classes (rangers *hate* you being up close and personal, for example) ... again, lot's of preparation ...</p>

Ammem
06-24-2010, 11:26 AM
<p>I would strongly suggest that you stop leveling for a while, crank your AA xp to 100% and just grind those AAs. Yes, it sucks, but if you left 3 years ago, that means that you left either during KoS or EoF days. In either case, AAs were much more difficult to come by and you probably have very little. My suggestion is to stop, get proper spells (masters or experts), do a lot of quests and just AOE grind mobs.</p><p>If you're on a Freep side feel free to send a tell to Feniks.</p>

Forebian
06-24-2010, 12:10 PM
<p>Thanks for the info in a non-inflammatory way.</p><p>Appreciated.</p>

Brigh
06-24-2010, 06:55 PM
<p>You may even need AA runs.</p>