PDA

View Full Version : Questions About Birth Status and Upbringing


CarnieHea
03-31-2009, 04:02 AM
<p>Is the child of a Teir'Dal slave automatically a slave at birth, or do they get the option of flying the coop upon reaching adulthood? Is the child more likely to be sent packing if their birth was the result of a drunken mishap on the master's part? Overall, what kind of upbringing would the child of a slave have?</p>

Indy_Mouse_9
03-31-2009, 04:31 AM
<p>Perhaps it's not a good example, and perhaps not a proper reflection of how other Teir'dal would behave, but maybe Asharae's story can give you some background...</p><p><span >Asharae<a rel="nofollow" href="http://eq2players.station.sony.com/news_archive_content.vm?month=072008&id=1774" target="_blank">Part 1</a><a rel="nofollow" href="http://eq2players.station.sony.com/news_archive_content.vm?month=072008&id=1787" target="_blank">Part 2</a></span></p>

CarnieHea
03-31-2009, 05:19 AM
<p>Only one thing confuses me about that story. Was <span ><span>Asharae a half elf, or was her mother just a dark elf commoner?</span></span></p>

Cusashorn
03-31-2009, 08:18 AM
<p>Her mother was a Dark Elf... well, [Removed for Content]. Nothing more than a common prostitute.</p>

CarnieHea
03-31-2009, 09:27 AM
<p>Thanks so much for the replies, you guys! <img src="/eq2/images/smilies/3b63d1616c5dfcf29f8a7a031aaa7cad.gif" border="0" /></p><p>I think the only question that story failed to answer was about children born to slaves, although now seeing how slaves are treated it's probably safe to assume that <em>anything</em> that a slave might acquire would automatically be the property of their Teir'dal owner.</p>

Cusashorn
03-31-2009, 09:48 AM
<p>Yeah, pretty much. Once a slave, always a slave unless the owner either dies by your hands or gives you up.</p>

Zabjade
03-31-2009, 03:53 PM
<p><span style="color: #00cc00;">Also if they can escape, and make an independant name for themselves is another way <img src="/smilies/3b63d1616c5dfcf29f8a7a031aaa7cad.gif" border="0" alt="SMILEY" />  I wouldn't be too suprised if there are Teir'Dal enclaves elsewhere that hides escaped slaves.</span></p><p><span style="color: #00cc00;">It would be a Hoot if there was one in Halas ;p</span></p>

Meirril
04-02-2009, 08:50 AM
<p><cite>Zabjade wrote:</cite></p><blockquote><p><span style="color: #00cc00;">Also if they can escape, and make an independant name for themselves is another way <img src="/eq2/images/smilies/3b63d1616c5dfcf29f8a7a031aaa7cad.gif" border="0" />  I wouldn't be too suprised if there are Teir'Dal enclaves elsewhere that hides escaped slaves.</span></p><p><span style="color: #00cc00;">It would be a Hoot if there was one in Halas ;p</span></p></blockquote><p>I'd be very suprised if there was a group of Tier'Dal that would turn against their entire culture and harbor slaves as anything other than slaves or potential weapons to be used against their former masters.</p><p>While individual Tier'Dal may turn against their cultural norms (read: players), it is a very tightly knit race of xenophobic, paranoid, meglomaniacs who are raised to believe that they are superior to all non-tier'dal.</p><p>Generally I think escaped slaves turn to the enemies of their masters for a chance to "prove" themselves. If they are useful they can gain a non-slave but still servant position in their new master's domain. (Soldier, assassin, spy, wine taster. Something much perferable than being mere property). If they arn't useful, they can always be done away with or returned as a scape goat for anything they might of been asked to do. (Oh? What's that? Your haircombs were poisoned and killed the daughter you let borrow them? Funny you should mention that because this creature claims to have done that. It is so hard to find good help these days...)</p><p>Tier'Dal slaves could also aspire to conspire with a potential heir to either eliminate that heir's competition or enhance their chance at an "early" inheiratence. If they were exceedingly useful they might get a more favorable position. Or they could be eliminated as inconvient, or even blamed as the cause of these unfortunate events...</p><p>I guess the only thing worse than being a Tier'Dal slave would be a non-Tier'Dal slave in Neriak.</p>

Cusashorn
04-02-2009, 02:33 PM
<p><cite>Meirril wrote:</cite></p><blockquote><p><cite>Zabjade wrote:</cite></p><blockquote><p><span style="color: #00cc00;">Also if they can escape, and make an independant name for themselves is another way <img src="/eq2/images/smilies/3b63d1616c5dfcf29f8a7a031aaa7cad.gif" border="0" />  I wouldn't be too suprised if there are Teir'Dal enclaves elsewhere that hides escaped slaves.</span></p><p><span style="color: #00cc00;">It would be a Hoot if there was one in Halas ;p</span></p></blockquote><p>I'd be very suprised if there was a group of Tier'Dal that would turn against their entire culture and harbor slaves as anything other than slaves or potential weapons to be used against their former masters.</p></blockquote><p><strong><em><span style="text-decoration: underline;">Everyone</span></em></strong> has a price.</p>

Zabjade
04-03-2009, 12:25 AM
<p><cite>Cusashorn wrote:</cite></p><blockquote><p><cite>Meirril wrote:</cite></p><blockquote><p><cite>Zabjade wrote:</cite></p><blockquote><p><span style="color: #00cc00;">Also if they can escape, and make an independant name for themselves is another way <img src="/eq2/images/smilies/3b63d1616c5dfcf29f8a7a031aaa7cad.gif" border="0" />  I wouldn't be too suprised if there are Teir'Dal enclaves elsewhere that hides escaped slaves.</span></p><p><span style="color: #00cc00;">It would be a Hoot if there was one in Halas ;p</span></p></blockquote><p>I'd be very suprised if there was a group of Tier'Dal that would turn against their entire culture and harbor slaves as anything other than slaves or potential weapons to be used against their former masters.</p></blockquote><p><strong><em><span style="text-decoration: underline;">Everyone</span></em></strong> has a price.</p></blockquote><p><span style="color: #00cc00;">Add to that, others may have been slaves themselves and set up the refuge in the first place, It might be a permenant place or it might be a waystation like Haven.</span></p><p><span style="color: #00cc00;">Besides there are already Two possibly more factions within the Tier'Dal already Those who follow the queen and the Thexians. </span></p><p><span style="color: #00cc00;">Also I'm willing to be that those who have betrayed to Qeynos and Kelethin have formed their own societies as well.</span></p><p><span style="color: #00cc00;"> Also Freeport loyalist are still looking undecided on Neriak, and I imagine a few even moved to Gorowyn for the windows <em>(Sue me that's what Kan did lol, if they had windows that looked into an underground river she might have moved to Neriak) </em></span></p>

Rainmare
04-04-2009, 02:25 PM
<p>though to the idea of refugee camps/minor conclaves of escaped slaves....I doubt they exist. you have to remeber that most every other race is also indoctrinated to never, ever, fully trust a Tier'dal, and never, ever give them a chance to establish anything. there are stories without end about Tier'dal treacheries and double deals. they'd even go so far as to setup and marry a light skinned human or the like for no other means then leverage and information. (Plane of Justice story of the I believe human woman who commited murder for the sake of a tier'dal husband that threw her to the wolves shortly after without a second thought)</p><p>Sure Qeynos and Kelethin may have taken in a few Tier'dal that put forth a grand show of turning over a new leaf, but the guards still don't fully trust them.</p><p>and Neriak itself is a hotbed of conspiracies, murder, move and counter move. all the houses war with eachother for standing, the main factions are in opposition to eachother (clerics vs the dead with the warrior/assassins playing the fence) and there's still the conflict between the Queen and the apparently not killed like she planned Prince, who I guess technically is King if he coudl get back into Neriak. So I would bet slaves are kept as scapegoats, and for thier exploits which the credit always is taken by thier masters. I doubt seriously anything a slave might produce, offspring or otherwise, would even be given a moment of potential freedom. I wouldn't be surprised if they were collared or branded not thirty seconds after thier first breath of neriak's air.</p>

Lodrelhai
04-04-2009, 06:17 PM
<p><cite>[email protected] wrote:</cite></p><blockquote><p>though to the idea of refugee camps/minor conclaves of escaped slaves....I doubt they exist. you have to remeber that most every other race is also indoctrinated to never, ever, fully trust a Tier'dal, and never, ever give them a chance to establish anything. there are stories without end about Tier'dal treacheries and double deals. they'd even go so far as to setup and marry a light skinned human or the like for no other means then leverage and information. (Plane of Justice story of the I believe human woman who commited murder for the sake of a tier'dal husband that threw her to the wolves shortly after without a second thought)</p><p>Sure Qeynos and Kelethin may have taken in a few Tier'dal that put forth a grand show of turning over a new leaf, but the guards still don't fully trust them.</p><p>and Neriak itself is a hotbed of conspiracies, murder, move and counter move. all the houses war with eachother for standing, the main factions are in opposition to eachother (clerics vs the dead with the warrior/assassins playing the fence) and there's still the conflict between the Queen and the apparently not killed like she planned Prince, who I guess technically is King if he coudl get back into Neriak. So I would bet slaves are kept as scapegoats, and for thier exploits which the credit always is taken by thier masters. I doubt seriously anything a slave might produce, offspring or otherwise, would even be given a moment of potential freedom. I wouldn't be surprised if they were collared or branded not thirty seconds after thier first breath of neriak's air.</p></blockquote><p>I'll point out that in Freeport, the dark elves have their own section of the city - yeah it's a slum, but so is every other district, and they've got the same chances as anyone from Stonestair Byway or Temple Street of getting out and living someplace decent.  The Thexians also seem to have themselves pretty well established, despite having no city which they can really call home.  So it seems Teir'Dal are quite capable of establishing their own organizations in spite of racial prejudice and their own backbiting behavior.</p><p>Also, the guards had no problem whatsoever with my dark elf while she lived in Qeynos - heck, they still talk about her service to the city whenever she's running through, and she's living in Gorowyn now (though admittedly, she avoids the NQ mounted guards).  Some of the other citizens were bigots, but the city officials trusted her completely.</p>

Meirril
04-07-2009, 05:34 AM
<p><cite>Lodrelhai wrote:</cite></p><blockquote><p>I'll point out that in Freeport, the dark elves have their own section of the city - yeah it's a slum, but so is every other district, and they've got the same chances as anyone from Stonestair Byway or Temple Street of getting out and living someplace decent.  The Thexians also seem to have themselves pretty well established, despite having no city which they can really call home.  So it seems Teir'Dal are quite capable of establishing their own organizations in spite of racial prejudice and their own backbiting behavior.</p><p>Also, the guards had no problem whatsoever with my dark elf while she lived in Qeynos - heck, they still talk about her service to the city whenever she's running through, and she's living in Gorowyn now (though admittedly, she avoids the NQ mounted guards).  Some of the other citizens were bigots, but the city officials trusted her completely.</p></blockquote><p>Pointing out freeport's Tier'Dal enclave is a good example. Pointing out how your character is treated is a BAD example. Player characters are by their very nature exceptions. The way you find out how the world treats people is by looking at how the NPCs react to other NPCs. The best examples are stories that we call Lore.</p><p>Even in those stories you see exceptional people. Take for instance the main character of "The Littlest Giant". The main character is ostrasized from giant society for dealing with the goblins which were powerful allies until mistrust (and probably Iksar treachery) turned them against each other. The main character streached beyond his society's norm, and was punished for it in a way that players never would be.</p><p>As for the Tier'dal in freeport, Lucan recognizes that they make great citizens of his new empire. As long as he can win their loyalty and have them backstab their way up freeport's social ladder instead of trying to tear it apart they are a valuable contribution. Most of the Tier'Dal there realize that returning to Neriak would be risky for them. They would be suspected as spies for Lucan...or worse. While they could aspire to a greater status than a slave, they also take much larger risks than any slave in Neriak.</p><p>As for the Thexian contingent outside of Nerriak...its a left over remanent of the old Nektulous forest quest lines. Without the camp, you'd have to eliminate a fairly popular HQ or re-write it. Instead a new quest line was made to accomidate it to the zone revamp. I haven't run all of the quests that pertain to the changed Thexian camp, but I'm betting it covers a lot of the lore questions. The one thing it doesn't cover is why the Queen hasn't addressed the "invaders" on her doorstep.</p>

Zabjade
04-07-2009, 12:06 PM
<p><span style="color: #00cc00;">I believe that Qeynos, Kelethin and <em>(Insert Rumored New City)</em> already have small communities of Dark Elves who would welcome slaves, in fact it might be <strong>encouraged</strong> so put shame to Neriak and Freeport.</span></p>

mallice
04-09-2009, 01:38 PM
<p><cite>Meirril wrote:</cite></p><blockquote><p><cite>Zabjade wrote:</cite></p><blockquote><p><span style="color: #00cc00;">Also if they can escape, and make an independant name for themselves is another way <img src="/eq2/images/smilies/3b63d1616c5dfcf29f8a7a031aaa7cad.gif" border="0" />  I wouldn't be too suprised if there are Teir'Dal enclaves elsewhere that hides escaped slaves.</span></p><p><span style="color: #00cc00;">It would be a Hoot if there was one in Halas ;p</span></p></blockquote><p>While individual Tier'Dal may turn against their cultural norms (read: players), it is a very tightly knit race of xenophobic, paranoid, meglomaniacs who are raised to believe that they are superior to all non-tier'dal.</p></blockquote><p>Why thank you!   That's the nicest thing anyone has said about me in a while.</p>

Srau
04-09-2009, 03:06 PM
<p><cite>Meirril wrote:</cite></p><blockquote><p><cite>Zabjade wrote:</cite></p><blockquote><p><span style="color: #00cc00;">Also if they can escape, and make an independant name for themselves is another way <img src="/eq2/images/smilies/3b63d1616c5dfcf29f8a7a031aaa7cad.gif" border="0" />  I wouldn't be too suprised if there are Teir'Dal enclaves elsewhere that hides escaped slaves.</span></p><p><span style="color: #00cc00;">It would be a Hoot if there was one in Halas ;p</span></p></blockquote><p>While individual Tier'Dal may turn against their cultural norms (read: players), it is a very tightly knit race of xenophobic, paranoid, meglomaniacs who are raised to believe that they are superior to all non-tier'dal.</p></blockquote><p>Why do you say "raised to believe" ?</p><p>We <strong>ARE</strong> "superior to all non-Teir'Dal" <img src="/eq2/images/smilies/283a16da79f3aa23fe1025c96295f04f.gif" border="0" /></p><p>EDIT : Teir'Dal with capital T and D and correctly spelled, filthy human <img src="/eq2/images/smilies/97ada74b88049a6d50a6ed40898a03d7.gif" border="0" /></p>

Zabjade
04-09-2009, 07:44 PM
<p><span style="color: #00cc00;"><strong>I never said the Tier'Dal of the good cities loose their Superior air! </strong>They probably have that in spades as well, after all they have to put up with those lowly High Elves day in and day out. </span></p><p><span style="color: #00cc00;">To face that and the Erudins you have to have Clutzpa [sp]</span></p><p><span style="color: #00cc00;">After all, even a Former Tier'Dal Slave is superior to a high elf. <img src="/smilies/8a80c6485cd926be453217d59a84a888.gif" border="0" alt="SMILEY" /></span></p>