PDA

View Full Version : What PvP do we have in EQ2 on non-PvP servers?


PurpleWarri
10-10-2008, 02:35 PM
<p>Just wondered since obviously there is the "Duel" option, but I'm not sure what else we have.</p><p>(I didn't post this on the PvP forum as it seems more focussed on the PvP servers and tactics for them.)</p><p>Do we have Arena PvP? How about Guild Wars style scenarios?</p><p>I remember reading something about Arenas when I got Desert a couple of years ago, but was more excited at the time about climbing up walls <img src="http://forums.station.sony.com/eq2/images/smilies/499fd50bc713bfcdf2ab5a23c00c2d62.gif" border="0" alt="SMILEY" width="15" height="15" /></p><p>I had a go at LotRO and WARhammer recently, but got bored with both. The PvP in the games was interesting but the PvE aspects of both just weren't as much fun as EQ2. Hence my interest in PvP getting piqued, in case anyone wondered why I was suddenly asking after 3 years of play. <img src="http://forums.station.sony.com/eq2/images/smilies/ed515dbff23a0ee3241dcc0a601c9ed6.gif" border="0" alt="SMILEY" width="15" height="15" /></p>

Azekah1
10-10-2008, 02:40 PM
arenas and duels are it on the blue servers (non-pvp, or pve servers)I think I played in the arena once, and I got to pick a character (I couldn't play my own) and fight other people.But yea...start a character on Nagafen. Pve is tooooo boooooring....<img src="/smilies/283a16da79f3aa23fe1025c96295f04f.gif" border="0" alt="SMILEY" />

PurpleWarri
10-10-2008, 02:59 PM
<p>Thank you - I'll have to poke around at this arena business and see what it's like.</p><p>A PvP server is an idea, but does leave me with trepidation. I still remember the total gankfest that was UO back in '99 <img src="http://forums.station.sony.com/eq2/images/smilies/ed515dbff23a0ee3241dcc0a601c9ed6.gif" border="0" alt="SMILEY" width="15" height="15" /></p>

woolf2k
10-10-2008, 04:57 PM
duel - I haven't used these in awhile but you used be able to bet between the participantsarena- you got champions or yourself.HOWEVER, they use the PvE rule set... even when using champions in the arenas... and the different champinions are not balanced between each other so I guess the only fair fight weould be if everyone used the same champinion. arena is usually bare, too.

Rijacki
10-10-2008, 05:06 PM
<cite>[email protected] wrote:</cite><blockquote><p>Thank you - I'll have to poke around at this arena business and see what it's like.</p><p>A PvP server is an idea, but does leave me with trepidation. I still remember the total gankfest that was UO back in '99 <img src="http://forums.station.sony.com/eq2/images/smilies/ed515dbff23a0ee3241dcc0a601c9ed6.gif" border="0" alt="SMILEY" width="15" height="15" /></p></blockquote>Try a character on Venekor.  It's PvP but not with the same intensity.  There are times you'll run into people bent on smashing you to smithereens but sometimes you can even best them.I haven't tried Naggy but Venekor is a nice (in my opinion) mix of PvE and PvP.

Femke
10-10-2008, 06:52 PM
<cite>Azekah1 wrote:</cite><blockquote>.But yea...start a character on Nagafen. Pve is tooooo boooooring....<img src="/eq2/images/smilies/283a16da79f3aa23fe1025c96295f04f.gif" border="0" alt="SMILEY" /></blockquote>After what I have seen of PvP in the later UO and Lineage II, I rather be bored then surrounded by too many jerks and gankers.

PurpleWarri
10-11-2008, 08:42 PM
<cite>Femke wrote:</cite><blockquote><cite>Azekah1 wrote:</cite>After what I have seen of PvP in the later UO and Lineage II, I rather be bored then surrounded by too many jerks and gankers.</blockquote><p>That can be a problem on a lot of PvP servers I've tried in the past (in other games). They've tried to fix that in some of them by limiting the relative levels of those allowed to fight eachother but even then you can have someone several levels more advanced killing lower levels for 'fun'.</p><p>I think Guild Wars had the right idea on that score by allowing people to roll a maxxed out character for PvP only. The lack of penalties on death also makes it more fun, people seem more likely to be willing to fight when there's only fun to be had, rather than punishment for not being twinked out <img src="http://forums.station.sony.com/eq2/images/smilies/ed515dbff23a0ee3241dcc0a601c9ed6.gif" border="0" alt="SMILEY" width="15" height="15" /></p><p>I'm guessing EQ2 doesn't limit the combat at all and has some sort of death penalties?</p>

Rahatmattata
10-11-2008, 09:15 PM
It's been a long time since I've played on the PvP servers and things have changed, but afaik there is a level range in most zones. In lowbie zones like Antonica/Commonlands the level range is/was 4 levels. So a level 17 could pk a level 13 but unable to jump a level 12. Higher level zones have larger level spreads until you get into the higher tiers that have no level restriction. Also, you can't engage in pvp until level 10.If you are pk'd you will drop a percentage of the coin you are carrying... 50% more or less, it varies. You also have a chance to drop an item lower quality than legendary/mastercrafted. You will also take an infamy hit. There is this infamy thing that gives you titles like destroyer, dreadnaught, etc... and many players will do anything they can to avoid taking an infamy hit. They also like to form up in gank squads and roll lower level characters for infamy and faction/status, especially in the lower levels.The arena would be great if they would revamp it to not suck.

Spyderbite
10-11-2008, 10:22 PM
<cite>[email protected] wrote:</cite><blockquote><cite></cite><p>I'm guessing EQ2 doesn't limit the combat at all and has some sort of death penalties?</p></blockquote>Nope. No penalities for dying in PvP. But, there are level limits. Which can work in your advantage and against you. You can't attack somebody who is X levels below you in a certain zone. But, 20 people below the level restriction can jump you without a problem regardless of the level restriction.Unless you're clinging to your precious PvP title.. there really isn't any penality to dying in PvP. Well.. unless you forget to bank before you leave a city. Then its like a divorce.. they get half. <img src="/smilies/8a80c6485cd926be453217d59a84a888.gif" border="0" alt="SMILEY" />

qsnoopyjr
10-12-2008, 04:10 AM
Theres capture the flag and capture the relic and team deathmatch in the arena on naggy, not sure if they on blue servers too.

erin
10-12-2008, 11:41 AM
From what I've seen and read over the years, the PvP on PvE servers, except for the occasional duel, is unused.

Brigh
10-13-2008, 08:10 AM
<p>Venekor is dead.</p><p>I played from day one, played to 70 in raiding alliance, left at least a year and half, and kept trying occasionally to get back into it but NO ONE IS AROUND ANYMORE!</p><p>The alliance fell apart, apparently the grouping friends I had either left the server, the game, or just went to the middle ground exile faction guild(s). I don't want to waste all the hard work I had getting what I have in spells to lose them in exiling.</p><p>It is like Najena, the formerly populous PVE server. You can sit for hours watching level chats and NO ONE TALKS ANYMORE!!</p><p>You used to be able to turn on LFG, maybe put a few LFG ads in chats, and get groups on both servers. Now turn it on, say LFG, go take a nap, make food, go to the store, go to sleep overnight, go to work, come home, and not have one tell for a group! You say, "Anyone LFG?"....crickets....</p><p>Possibly SOE is partially at fault when they offered the (free?) PVP transfers. You have to pay $50 to return to Venekor or where ever now. There are a couple threads in the PVP / Venekor forums talking about how this server is is dire need of revitalizing.</p><p>I just about give up trying to get anything done there. You can't transfer PVP characters to PVE due supposedly to coding difference issues, so all that work I did in raids to 70 is a waste. So there lies a character...rather two...one is 50ish...stuck on a server unable to advance.</p>

the_heretic
10-13-2008, 04:48 PM
<cite>Brigh wrote:</cite><blockquote><p>Venekor is dead.</p><p>I played from day one, played to 70 in raiding alliance, left at least a year and half, and kept trying occasionally to get back into it but NO ONE IS AROUND ANYMORE!</p><p>The alliance fell apart, apparently the grouping friends I had either left the server, the game, or just went to the middle ground exile faction guild(s). I don't want to waste all the hard work I had getting what I have in spells to lose them in exiling.</p><p>It is like Najena, the formerly populous PVE server. You can sit for hours watching level chats and NO ONE TALKS ANYMORE!!</p><p>You used to be able to turn on LFG, maybe put a few LFG ads in chats, and get groups on both servers. Now turn it on, say LFG, go take a nap, make food, go to the store, go to sleep overnight, go to work, come home, and not have one tell for a group! You say, "Anyone LFG?"....crickets....</p><p>Possibly SOE is partially at fault when they offered the (free?) PVP transfers. You have to pay $50 to return to Venekor or where ever now. There are a couple threads in the PVP / Venekor forums talking about how this server is is dire need of revitalizing.</p><p>I just about give up trying to get anything done there. You can't transfer PVP characters to PVE due supposedly to coding difference issues, so all that work I did in raids to 70 is a waste. So there lies a character...rather two...one is 50ish...stuck on a server unable to advance.</p></blockquote>Venekor population has decreased majorly, i just returned to game after two year break and all new people.  But finding a group is not totally impossible.  Roll a toon there to help the population!  it is a good mix of PVP and PVE.

Rijacki
10-13-2008, 05:56 PM
<cite>Brigh wrote:</cite><blockquote><p>Venekor is dead.</p><p>I played from day one, played to 70 in raiding alliance, left at least a year and half, and kept trying occasionally to get back into it but NO ONE IS AROUND ANYMORE!</p><p>The alliance fell apart, apparently the grouping friends I had either left the server, the game, or just went to the middle ground exile faction guild(s). I don't want to waste all the hard work I had getting what I have in spells to lose them in exiling.</p><p>It is like Najena, the formerly populous PVE server. You can sit for hours watching level chats and NO ONE TALKS ANYMORE!!</p><p>You used to be able to turn on LFG, maybe put a few LFG ads in chats, and get groups on both servers. Now turn it on, say LFG, go take a nap, make food, go to the store, go to sleep overnight, go to work, come home, and not have one tell for a group! You say, "Anyone LFG?"....crickets....</p><p>Possibly SOE is partially at fault when they offered the (free?) PVP transfers. You have to pay $50 to return to Venekor or where ever now. There are a couple threads in the PVP / Venekor forums talking about how this server is is dire need of revitalizing.</p><p>I just about give up trying to get anything done there. You can't transfer PVP characters to PVE due supposedly to coding difference issues, so all that work I did in raids to 70 is a waste. So there lies a character...rather two...one is 50ish...stuck on a server unable to advance.</p></blockquote>1. Venekor does not have the population of Nagafen, true.  Venekor probably has a lower population than most of the low population PvE servers, true.  BUT, it is not "dead". 2. You don't lose anything in Exiling, you only "lose spells" when you complete the betrayal process to change either your faction or your class.  Yes, many raiders on both Venekor and Nagafen pre GU48 had gone exile in order to have both factions' classes available.  3. There are, however, still raid guilds and raid organisations on Venekor both exile and factioned.  The factioned raiders now, like on Nagafen, are no longer limited in classes available.  There are many exiles who finished the betrayal quest (and "lost spells&quot<img src="/smilies/8a80c6485cd926be453217d59a84a888.gif" border="0" alt="SMILEY" /> to return to a faction or to change classes to stay on the faction they were. Some created new characters to do change them.4. I can't say anything about the Qeynos side, but there is quite a lot of chatter in the "evil" channel but much less so in the level channels. There is also a considerable amount of chatter in the channels created for the alliances.5. My characters on Venekor are mid-level (and I'm not racing to 80 there) but I have answered to others seeking groups.  6. What free PvP transfers are you referring to? The last time there were free transfers of any kind was when the Euro PvP server was merged into one of the US ones (not sure which server was merged into).  You have to pay $50 to Nagafen from Venekor, and vice-versa (personally, I think transfers TO low population servers should be free or at a reduced price, transfers to HIGH population servers should be at an increased price, with transfers to a medium population server at the current rate).7. I have characters up to level 38 and have been advancing without any problems whatsoever.  I am not constantly engaged in PvP, but I like the mix of PvE with unexpected PvP risk (I even win some battles, even when I am attacked while I am engaged with a PvE target).