PDA

View Full Version : Death of Causual Play?

Erieg
10-10-2008, 12:56 PM
I am sure this has been beat to death but really, I don't care. My wife and I logged on for the first time since the LU. We always play as a dou since on our server the population is such that finding people for a PUG is nearly impossible. We bring out our baby level 47 & 48 ranger/dirge. We head to EF and what happens? We frigging level in under an hour. After another 40 minutes we level again. what the heck happened??This is amazing to me. What in the world was the point of this? If this is so raiders can level a needed class fast why can't we just put something like a beta buffer into the game and they can just click and off they go?I don't want to start a flame war here but it seems to me that between this change and what I fear is coming down the pike in November, the journey to cap is going to be negligible. The point will be to get to the end game fast, really fast if last night is the norm now. What then? What are we, the small grouper left to do? We don't raid (Don't want to, Can't do it due to time constrants)... what we had was the JOURNEY up to cap.I can hear it now... The first response to this will be "Turn off xp". Just because I don't want to level from 1-70 in a weekend doesn't mean I do not want milestones to work for. RoK was bad enough. 10 levels of solo quests. If we tried a dungeon such as KC the trash mobs hit so hard that we couldn't get past the door.Can't there be some sorta of middle ground? or is this game soley for soloers and raiders now and the next expansion will be for full groups and raiders? Because as it stands our play style is dead.

Vumael
10-10-2008, 01:11 PM
<p>The changes weren't to make it easier for raiders to level toons, trust me we did it easy enough as it was....  By old standards an 80 could be made in 2-3weeks with no problems.....</p><p>They did this because Shadow Odyssey is mainly geared toward higher content and they want the rest of the server populations to be able to catch up (justifying their budget etc.)  Raiders and Solo'ers hate these changes also, because now we're seeing tons of noobs level.  More competition soloing and more bad players on our raids......</p><p>This experience change was a tremendously stupid idea.  They're cutting corners rather than actually addressing the problem.</p>

interstellarmatter
10-10-2008, 01:12 PM
<p>The level curvel was not changed for raiders but for casual players.  In order to allow new players to get up to the level range of most of the population.  At that point, they can find more groups doing the instance runs and epic quests.</p><p>As you already stated the solution, just turn off XP.  You do have a milestone, you have AA points that you can work on getting during the weekend.  That's what my we do...</p><p>Not saying that I agree with the change..but you have it backwards.</p>

CrazyMoogle
10-10-2008, 01:15 PM
<cite>Erieg wrote:</cite><blockquote>I am sure this has been beat to death but really, I don't care. My wife and I logged on for the first time since the LU. We always play as a dou since on our server the population is such that finding people for a PUG is nearly impossible. We bring out our baby level 47 & 48 ranger/dirge. We head to EF and what happens? We frigging level in under an hour. After another 40 minutes we level again. what the heck happened??</blockquote>The game was improved.  Now you can level up to where the majority of people are playing and won't have to complain about not being able to find a group.

Doodar
10-10-2008, 01:16 PM
Also the reason you leveld so fast was that when you logged in you probably had around 150%-160% xp and on first chance of xp you dinged next level plus the 50-60% more that was in que. Then 40 mins later u covered the last 40-50% xp to the next level.

Brook
10-10-2008, 01:17 PM
<cite>[email protected] wrote:</cite><blockquote><cite>Erieg wrote:</cite><blockquote>I am sure this has been beat to death but really, I don't care. My wife and I logged on for the first time since the LU. We always play as a dou since on our server the population is such that finding people for a PUG is nearly impossible. We bring out our baby level 47 & 48 ranger/dirge. We head to EF and what happens? We frigging level in under an hour. After another 40 minutes we level again. what the heck happened??</blockquote>The game was improved.  Now you can level up to where the majority of people are playing and won't have to complain about not being able to find a group.</blockquote>The game was not improved by the changes made.

CrazyMoogle
10-10-2008, 01:18 PM
<cite>Vumael wrote:</cite><blockquote><p>Raiders and Solo'ers hate these changes also, because now we're seeing tons of noobs level.  More competition soloing and more bad players on our raids......</p></blockquote>This is not true at all.When someone comes in and claims an experience increase that's only a couple days old has miraculously started flooding their raids with bad players you know they aren't telling the truth.

Doodar
<cite>Brook wrote:</cite><blockquote><cite>[email protected] wrote:</cite><blockquote><cite>Erieg wrote:</cite><blockquote>I am sure this has been beat to death but really, I don't care. My wife and I logged on for the first time since the LU. We always play as a dou since on our server the population is such that finding people for a PUG is nearly impossible. We bring out our baby level 47 & 48 ranger/dirge. We head to EF and what happens? We frigging level in under an hour. After another 40 minutes we level again. what the heck happened??</blockquote>The game was improved.  Now you can level up to where the majority of people are playing and won't have to complain about not being able to find a group.</blockquote>The game was not improved by the changes made.</blockquote>That is a matter of opinion.

CrazyMoogle
<cite>Brook wrote:</cite><blockquote><cite>[email protected] wrote:</cite><blockquote><cite>Erieg wrote:</cite><blockquote>I am sure this has been beat to death but really, I don't care. My wife and I logged on for the first time since the LU. We always play as a dou since on our server the population is such that finding people for a PUG is nearly impossible. We bring out our baby level 47 & 48 ranger/dirge. We head to EF and what happens? We frigging level in under an hour. After another 40 minutes we level again. what the heck happened??</blockquote>The game was improved.  Now you can level up to where the majority of people are playing and won't have to complain about not being able to find a group.</blockquote>The game was not improved by the changes made.</blockquote>Yes it was.

Brook
10-10-2008, 01:19 PM
<cite>[email protected] wrote:</cite><blockquote><cite>Brook wrote:</cite><blockquote><cite>[email protected] wrote:</cite><blockquote><cite>Erieg wrote:</cite><blockquote>I am sure this has been beat to death but really, I don't care. My wife and I logged on for the first time since the LU. We always play as a dou since on our server the population is such that finding people for a PUG is nearly impossible. We bring out our baby level 47 & 48 ranger/dirge. We head to EF and what happens? We frigging level in under an hour. After another 40 minutes we level again. what the heck happened??</blockquote>The game was improved.  Now you can level up to where the majority of people are playing and won't have to complain about not being able to find a group.</blockquote>The game was not improved by the changes made.</blockquote>That is a matter of opinion.</blockquote>/agree

Krescendo
10-10-2008, 02:03 PM
<p>Exp curve, at least at lower levels is way out of whack. If you follow the quest lines, you can green out the quests just on quest exp by following the natural progression...(at leas in Gor). Sheesh, whats the point?</p><p>I would note that I often lock exp to buff up my AA (or AP if you prefer). So quick advancement isn't usually high on my priority list.</p>

Thunndar316
10-10-2008, 02:10 PM
I would also like to note that after the patch my Vitality was doubled overnight when it normally only goes up 5-7% every 12 hours im offline.

Ildarus
10-10-2008, 02:24 PM
<cite>Erieg wrote:</cite><blockquote>I am sure this has been beat to death but really, I don't care. My wife and I logged on for the first time since the LU. We always play as a dou since on our server the population is such that finding people for a PUG is nearly impossible. We bring out our baby level 47 & 48 ranger/dirge. We head to EF and what happens? We frigging level in under an hour. After another 40 minutes we level again. what the heck happened??This is amazing to me. What in the world was the point of this? If this is so raiders can level a needed class fast why can't we just put something like a beta buffer into the game and they can just click and off they go?I don't want to start a flame war here but it seems to me that between this change and what I fear is coming down the pike in November, the journey to cap is going to be negligible. The point will be to get to the end game fast, really fast if last night is the norm now. What then? What are we, the small grouper left to do? We don't raid (Don't want to, Can't do it due to time constrants)... what we had was the JOURNEY up to cap.I can hear it now... The first response to this will be "Turn off xp". Just because I don't want to level from 1-70 in a weekend doesn't mean I do not want milestones to work for. RoK was bad enough. 10 levels of solo quests. If we tried a dungeon such as KC the trash mobs hit so hard that we couldn't get past the door.Can't there be some sorta of middle ground? or is this game soley for soloers and raiders now and the next expansion will be for full groups and raiders? Because as it stands our play style is dead. </blockquote><p>Woot!! Another post on how the xp has ruined my gaming experience, and yet the majority of posters seem to approve of the change. </p><p>I for one vote, I love the change. I want my alts to get up to the higher levels where the majority of players are at. I know this for a fact becasue I have been doing a level analysis when ever I log in and it seems the 90% of players online at any given time are at levels 70+</p>

Erieg
10-10-2008, 02:26 PM
<cite>interstellarmatter wrote:</cite><blockquote><p>The level curvel was not changed for raiders but for casual players.  In order to allow new players to get up to the level range of most of the population.  </p><p>As you already stated the solution, just turn off XP.  You do have a milestone, you have AA points that you can work on getting during the weekend.  That's what my we do...</p><p>Not saying that I agree with the change..but you have it backwards.</p></blockquote>I think the problem with what you stated was "At that point, they can find more groups doing the instance runs and epic quests."We have a level 80 charactors and trust me... it isn't easy to find anyone find anyone to do the instances. I might be able to dig up another person but the heroic content in RoK was a wee bit hard for two or three. This is why we started the alts, our fourth set of them."You do have a milestone, you have AA points that you can work on getting during the weekend.  That's what my we do..."First off we don't just play weekends. We tend to play a couple of hours a day. Second, did AA rates go up as well. I didn't notice last night. If not, isn't that a seperate problem for the speed levelers right there?

Erieg
10-10-2008, 02:29 PM
<blockquote><span class="postbody">I for one vote, I love the change. I want my alts to get up to the higher levels where the majority of players are at. I know this for a fact becasue I have been doing a level analysis when ever I log in and it seems the 90% of players online at any given time are at levels 70+</span></blockquote><span class="postbody">The majority of the level 80s on my server (crushbone) are in raid zones. Once again I don't raid.</span>

StormCinder
10-10-2008, 02:35 PM
<cite>Erieg wrote:</cite><blockquote><span class="postbody">The majority of the level 80s on my server (crushbone) are in raid zones. Once again I don't raid.</span></blockquote>Gets it.<cite>Ildarus wrote:</cite><blockquote><span class="postbody"></span><span class="postbody">I know this for a fact becasue I have been doing a level analysis when ever I log in and it seems the 90% of players online at any given time are at levels 70+</span><span class="postbody"></span></blockquote>Doesn't get it.

PurpleWarri
10-10-2008, 02:43 PM
<p>I love the "level up to 70 quickly" ability.</p><p> Anyone who wants to do things slower will soon hit that 'slower' period between 70 and 80 and actually have some other players around to play the new dungeons with.</p><p>My wife and I are levelling up some 50+ characters at the moment and finding it nice and quick, but not seeing many people to group with if we run into an area where they still have plenty of ^^^ to chase us away. The faster levelling should mean that we'll have a steady supply of new friends to group with at 70 when we hit the tougher stuff.</p>

Kiara
10-10-2008, 02:46 PM
Hey guys.We've already got at least 5 threads on this same subject running.Ilucide has made a post here regarding <a href="http://forums.station.sony.com/eq2/posts/list.m?start=15&topic_id=432119#4814738" rel="nofollow" target="_blank">this</a>.Can we please stop making new threads?  I'm going to have to start merging if this keeps up.Thanks!