PDA

View Full Version : Greetings from a returning player


cmagoun
06-10-2008, 01:01 PM
<p>Hello everyone,</p><p>Because of this clever promotion, I decided to set aside AoC and return to EQII. I was interested in starting a new character and was wondering if there were any servers with a healthy low-level population. I enjoy grouping when possible... even when soloing might be quicker.</p><p>Thanks for the help and I hope to see some of you online,</p><p>Chris</p>

azekah
06-10-2008, 01:03 PM
<cite>cmagoun wrote:</cite><blockquote><p>I decided to set aside AoC and return to EQII. </p></blockquote>Interesting, care to indulge us?I don't know much about other servers, but I play on Befallen and population is ok for grouping, could be better, but not bad.

interstellarmatter
06-10-2008, 01:18 PM
<p>Welcome back.  Chips are to the left and there is Gin and Tonic back on the wall.</p><p>Antonica Bayle has one of the largest population.  But that can be a curse with lag as shown when RoK released in December.  My server Crushbone has a healthy population.  Low level groups are always a little bit of a challenge to find on any server.  But with initiative, you can usually put them together yourself pretty easy.  You can always make a couple of characters on different servers and hit the 'u' key.  This brings up the guild recruitment screen.  That might help you get started.</p>

Malchore
06-10-2008, 01:24 PM
<cite>cmagoun wrote:</cite><blockquote><p>Hello everyone,</p><p>Because of this clever promotion, I decided to set aside AoC and return to EQII.</p><p><span style="color: #33ff99;">Congrats, that is the whole point of the promotion.</span> </p><p> I was interested in starting a new character and was wondering if there were any servers with a healthy low-level population.</p><p><span style="color: #33ff99;">No.</span> </p><p> I enjoy grouping when possible... even when soloing might be quicker.</p><span style="color: #33ff99;">A majority of players would prefer to group, but because soloing is so much quicker and hassle-free, everyone solos.</span></blockquote>

azekah
06-10-2008, 01:30 PM
<cite>[email protected] wrote:</cite><blockquote><cite>cmagoun wrote:</cite><blockquote><p>Hello everyone,</p><p>Because of this clever promotion, I decided to set aside AoC and return to EQII.</p><p><span style="color: #33ff99;">Congrats, that is the whole point of the promotion.</span> </p><p> I was interested in starting a new character and was wondering if there were any servers with a healthy low-level population.</p><p><span style="color: #33ff99;">No.</span> </p><p> I enjoy grouping when possible... even when soloing might be quicker.</p><span style="color: #33ff99;">A majority of players would prefer to group, but because soloing is so much quicker and hassle-free, everyone solos.</span></blockquote></blockquote>Jaded much?Soloing is pretty popular these days, but there are still groups out there. You can't do EVERYTHING solo, you'll miss out on a lot of great content.Like I said, on Befallen you'll see at least 5-10 people in each newbie zone pretty much all the time. As you level it's more sketchy, but if you wait around while soloing, or get adventerous and start your own group and recruit you won't have too many issues.

interstellarmatter
06-10-2008, 01:46 PM
<cite>[email protected] wrote:</cite><blockquote><cite>cmagoun wrote:</cite><blockquote><p> I enjoy grouping when possible... even when soloing might be quicker.</p><span style="color: #33ff99;">A majority of players would prefer to group, but because soloing is so much quicker and hassle-free, everyone solos.</span></blockquote></blockquote>You know when someone is exaggerating when they use words like "everyone".  People still do groups.  There were groups forming for RE, RoV, Crushbone, Fallen Gate last night.  It may not be as common as when more players were at the lower level..but there is still a healthy amount of players who like to run with groups.

Enica
06-10-2008, 01:52 PM
I solo more than I would like to because of time and other commitments.  But when I have the time, I always try to group.   We don't all prefer to solo, just sometimes that's all we're able to do.My 2 cents.  <img src="/eq2/images/smilies/3b63d1616c5dfcf29f8a7a031aaa7cad.gif" border="0" alt="SMILEY" width="15" height="15" />

Jenova
06-10-2008, 02:45 PM
<cite>cmagoun wrote:</cite><blockquote><p>I decided to set aside AoC and return to EQII.</p></blockquote>Welcome! I did the same thing. I set AoC off to the side and decided to come back to EQ II. I rolled a templar on Antonia Bayle and so far haven't had any difficulties finding some lowbies to run with and lag? Never had a problem there. What a total 180 though, I put AoC aside because of lack of content and EQ II has tons! I'm overwhelmed! But in a good way. <img src="/smilies/8a80c6485cd926be453217d59a84a888.gif" border="0" alt="SMILEY" />

Yimway
06-10-2008, 02:55 PM
<cite>interstellarmatter wrote:</cite><blockquote><cite>[email protected] wrote:</cite><blockquote><cite>cmagoun wrote:</cite><blockquote><p> I enjoy grouping when possible... even when soloing might be quicker.</p><span style="color: #33ff99;">A majority of players would prefer to group, but because soloing is so much quicker and hassle-free, everyone solos.</span></blockquote></blockquote>You know when someone is exaggerating when they use words like "everyone".  People still do groups.  There were groups forming for RE, RoV, Crushbone, Fallen Gate last night.  It may not be as common as when more players were at the lower level..but there is still a healthy amount of players who like to run with groups.</blockquote>Perhaps the point he was trying to make is, the same time spent soloquesting vs doing groups will yield more xp.  So many players are not interested in making a concious decision to kneecap their progress by entering into a group.  The point being the double xp given to quests under level 70 since RoK launch has hindered the social aspect of the game by discouraging group play, and it has also had a severe negative impact with the number of people leveling up that really don't understand their classes role and how to actually play in a multiplayer environment.Some recent examples:Level 78 conj in CoA, "Why would I use a fire pet?"Level 77 Assasin in VoES, "Hate transfer?"Level 80 Dirge in Chelsith, "CoB?"Yay for soloquest!

Malchore
06-10-2008, 03:12 PM
<cite>[email protected] wrote:</cite><blockquote><cite>interstellarmatter wrote:</cite><blockquote><cite>[email protected] wrote:</cite><blockquote><cite>cmagoun wrote:</cite><blockquote><p> I enjoy grouping when possible... even when soloing might be quicker.</p><span style="color: #33ff99;">A majority of players would prefer to group, but because soloing is so much quicker and hassle-free, everyone solos.</span></blockquote></blockquote>You know when someone is exaggerating when they use words like "everyone".  People still do groups.  There were groups forming for RE, RoV, Crushbone, Fallen Gate last night.  It may not be as common as when more players were at the lower level..but there is still a healthy amount of players who like to run with groups.</blockquote>Perhaps the point he was trying to make is, the same time spent soloquesting vs doing groups will yield more xp.  So many players are not interested in making a concious decision to kneecap their progress by entering into a group.  The point being the double xp given to quests under level 70 since RoK launch has hindered the social aspect of the game by discouraging group play, and it has also had a severe negative impact with the number of people leveling up that really don't understand their classes role and how to actually play in a multiplayer environment.Some recent examples:Level 78 conj in CoA, "Why would I use a fire pet?"Level 77 Assasin in VoES, "Hate transfer?"Level 80 Dirge in Chelsith, "CoB?"Yay for soloquest!</blockquote><p>Agree 1 million percent.  In fact I would add the effect of AA xp.  It's not only advancement of adventure xp and levels, but AA abilities are important too.  Because there are fewer heroic quests compared to solo quests, a person who grouped all the time would be behind the AA curve.  Thus people prefer to soloquest to keep their AA level at pace with adventure levels.  (In the case of my Mystic, I NEED those AAs so he can solo more effectively just to advance quicker lol.)</p><p>Discovery AA in dungeons reward very little xp, and a typical dungeon might have 8 - 10 Named (maybe...) for AA xp.  It's not enough to over come all the AA xp you get from all the extra solo quests you can knock out in the same amount of time and effort.</p>

cmagoun
06-10-2008, 04:45 PM
<cite>azekah wrote:</cite><blockquote><cite>cmagoun wrote:</cite><blockquote><p>I decided to set aside AoC and return to EQII. </p></blockquote>Interesting, care to indulge us?</blockquote><p>Well, generally I would say that AoC is a pretty good game. Keep in mind that I played about 6 characters to varying levels between 10-40. I did not really get into the "meat" of the game or the end-game. These are just quick impressions drawn from years of MMO jading <img src="/smilies/3b63d1616c5dfcf29f8a7a031aaa7cad.gif" border="0" alt="SMILEY" /></p><p> Pros:</p><ul><li>Combat is decent and I can see that there is a level of player skill involved.</li><li>The game looks good (the character models are the best I've seen in an MMO). </li><li>The initial (level 1-19 single player) quests are interesting and engage you in a neat story.</li><li>You level quickly.</li><li>The day = multiplayer, night = single player aspect of the tutorial island is sort of neat.</li><li>Decent number of quests.</li></ul><p>Cons:</p><ul><li>I think the classes are a little lackluster at this point and advancement is boring at times. I was hoping for something a little closer to AO than WoW as far as character advancement.</li><li>After a time, the PvE combat gets very repetitive, like most MMOs... even though you are pressing lots more buttons.</li><li>The game definitely feels like DDO or GW in terms of instances. I understand that it is not like either of those games and in fact, in AoC there are instanced zones with 50+ players in each.</li><li>Stats seem to matter very little in the performance of your character. I think this is a bug.</li><li>You level too quickly.</li></ul><p>I think AoC is going to be a good game given time. However, I returned to EQ2 because I enjoy the character advancement options more. I like that AAs are tied to something other than grinding XP. I also enjoy the variety of silly things to do... collection quests, using scrying crystals on those stupid rainbow spots that never give you anything cool, runs through high level zones for AA, questing for XP, questing to learn languages, questing to unlock zones... At the moment, EQ2 is a better game and there is nothing about AoC that catches me enough to make me want to pay a subscription. </p><p>Chris</p>

Espyderman
06-10-2008, 04:57 PM
<cite>cmagoun wrote:</cite><blockquote><cite>azekah wrote:</cite><blockquote><cite>cmagoun wrote:</cite><blockquote><p>I decided to set aside AoC and return to EQII. </p></blockquote>Interesting, care to indulge us?</blockquote><p>Well, generally I would say that AoC is a pretty good game. Keep in mind that I played about 6 characters to varying levels between 10-40. I did not really get into the "meat" of the game or the end-game. These are just quick impressions drawn from years of MMO jading <img src="/eq2/images/smilies/3b63d1616c5dfcf29f8a7a031aaa7cad.gif" border="0" alt="SMILEY<img src="/smilies/3b63d1616c5dfcf29f8a7a031aaa7cad.gif" border="0" alt="SMILEY" />" width="15" height="15" /></p><p> Pros:</p><ul><li>Combat is decent and I can see that there is a level of player skill involved.</li><li>The game looks good (the character models are the best I've seen in an MMO). </li><li>The initial (level 1-19 single player) quests are interesting and engage you in a neat story.</li><li>You level quickly.</li><li>The day = multiplayer, night = single player aspect of the tutorial island is sort of neat.</li><li>Decent number of quests.</li></ul><p>Cons:</p><ul><li>I think the classes are a little lackluster at this point and advancement is boring at times. I was hoping for something a little closer to AO than WoW as far as character advancement.</li><li>After a time, the PvE combat gets very repetitive, like most MMOs... even though you are pressing lots more buttons.</li><li>The game definitely feels like DDO or GW in terms of instances. I understand that it is not like either of those games and in fact, in AoC there are instanced zones with 50+ players in each.</li><li>Stats seem to matter very little in the performance of your character. I think this is a bug.</li><li>You level too quickly.</li></ul><p>I think AoC is going to be a good game given time. However, I returned to EQ2 because I enjoy the character advancement options more. I like that AAs are tied to something other than grinding XP. I also enjoy the variety of silly things to do... collection quests, using scrying crystals on those stupid rainbow spots that never give you anything cool, runs through high level zones for AA, questing for XP, questing to learn languages, questing to unlock zones... At the moment, EQ2 is a better game and there is nothing about AoC that catches me enough to make me want to pay a subscription. </p><p>Chris</p></blockquote><p>All i can say is that the beta community for AoC tried to tell the devs to postpone the game, we saw it was not near what they promised. I will never play it again because of the fact they did not listen to their core Beta players. To me, its now a sellable beta game and thats it, even if they decided to "finish it" i wouldnt buy it for the mere fact they failed to deliver on most of their promises and choose the easy way out.</p><p>Overall EQ2 is better, not extremely populated or group friendly but thats changing slowly over the past few days/weeks. Stick around, i bet you will have more fun here then in AoC.</p>

Spyderbite
06-10-2008, 05:28 PM
<cite>[email protected] Bazaar wrote:</cite><blockquote><cite></cite><p>All i can say is that the beta community for AoC tried to tell the devs to postpone the game, we saw it was not near what they promised.</p></blockquote>Yup.. that we did. Many, many, many times. But, it was all about promotion so our words fell on deaf ears. That's why I never did anything with the retail copy I got.. didn't even break the [email protected] the jaded guy regarding groups a few posts up.. sheesh.. I'm on the server with the smallest population in EQ2 and I don't have a problem with groups at any tier. Exaggerate much?

Malchore
06-10-2008, 05:43 PM
<cite>[email protected] wrote:</cite><blockquote>@ the jaded guy regarding groups a few posts up.. sheesh.. I'm on the server with the smallest population in EQ2 and I don't have a problem with groups at any tier. Exaggerate much?</blockquote><p>I thought you harvested 4-6 hours a day?  And in another post somewhere (i'm still searching for it) you stated any adventuring you do is with your guild.</p><p>I suppose now you're going to say you also spend 4-6 hours a day grouping in PUGs on Venekor?</p>

StormCinder
06-10-2008, 06:12 PM
You mean the marketing/sales dept of a software company pushed a release/promotion against the wishes of the players??!! Hmmmm....reminds me of another thread I've read recently. SC

azekah
06-10-2008, 08:08 PM
<cite>StormCinder wrote:</cite><blockquote>You mean the marketing/sales dept of a software company pushed a release/promotion against the wishes of the players??!! Hmmmm....reminds me of another thread I've read recently. SC</blockquote>sigh, get your own thread...Aye, I played Lotro for a month or two, but it just couldn't hold my interest the way EQII does...Now every few months I usually burn out from EQII but I think that's just from playin MMO's in general, they do that to you. But then I come back and start playing like mad. I don't go back to Lotro...(well I did once, but it I played for like a day <img src="/smilies/283a16da79f3aa23fe1025c96295f04f.gif" border="0" alt="SMILEY" /> )

cmagoun
06-11-2008, 05:19 PM
<cite>azekah wrote:</cite><blockquote><cite>StormCinder wrote:</cite><blockquote>You mean the marketing/sales dept of a software company pushed a release/promotion against the wishes of the players??!! Hmmmm....reminds me of another thread I've read recently.SC</blockquote>sigh, get your own thread...Aye, I played Lotro for a month or two, but it just couldn't hold my interest the way EQII does...Now every few months I usually burn out from EQII but I think that's just from playin MMO's in general, they do that to you. But then I come back and start playing like mad. I don't go back to Lotro...(well I did once, but it I played for like a day <img src="/eq2/images/smilies/283a16da79f3aa23fe1025c96295f04f.gif" border="0" alt="SMILEY<img src="/smilies/283a16da79f3aa23fe1025c96295f04f.gif" border="0" alt="SMILEY" />" width="15" height="15" /> )</blockquote>I agree with you. EQ2 is a very solid game with a lot going for it. I have tested or played LoTRo, Vanguard, WoW and lots of others. The only two games to which I regularly return are EQ2 and CoH and frankly, I think I have had all I can take of CoH for this lifetime. Personally, I think EQ2 is the single best MMO on the market. It is unfortunate that it has had such a rocky history.