PDA

View Full Version : New to EQ2 Defiler vs Mystic

Drawde
05-26-2008, 02:53 PM
I recently just started playing EQ2.  I have played a lot of the other mmorpgs but will restrict from trying to compare as this is a different game.My playstyle is more of the support / utility type.  I like being able to fill various rolls with my characters.So far looking through the forums and reading the descriptions I've been narrowing down my search and think I like the Mystic and Defiler.  My question is how much different are these two from each other and what kind of playstyles do both of them support.  Like is one more of a mt healer the other raid healer, more dmg or is one more melee focused and the other caster focused? Thank you for your thoughts and information.

yzyh
05-26-2008, 04:01 PM
<cite>Drawde wrote:</cite><blockquote>I recently just started playing EQ2.  I have played a lot of the other mmorpgs but will restrict from trying to compare as this is a different game.My playstyle is more of the support / utility type.  I like being able to fill various rolls with my characters.So far looking through the forums and reading the descriptions I've been narrowing down my search and think I like the Mystic and Defiler.  My question is how much different are these two from each other and what kind of playstyles do both of them support.  Like is one more of a mt healer the other raid healer, more dmg or is one more melee focused and the other caster focused? Thank you for your thoughts and information.</blockquote><p>Defiler are more wanted then mythiq in raid. Their gameplay is kinda about the same. (they have buff, debuff, heals and wards).</p><p>But the defiler is one fo the worst soloer of this game (and from lvl 1 to 60 solo is 90% of your playing time ).</p><p>My advice would be to be a mystiq till lvl 80. Then if you start raiding you might re-spec to defiler.</p><p>But for soloign and grouping their is absolutly no point in beeing defiler over a mystiq (exept maybe fi you prefer evil city over good/ neutral ones)</p>

Rahatmattata
05-26-2008, 04:40 PM
<cite>yzyh wrote:</cite><blockquote><cite></cite>from lvl 1 to 60 solo is 90% of your playing time</blockquote>Maybe for you.Mystics are needed in raids. Defiler usually goes in MT group because they buff more HP (i think) have self power regen, and they have to be grouped with the tank to cast tendrils... a debuff proc when tank gets hit. Mystics can cast bolster and their other buffs on the tank from any group. Mystics are better soloers... but if you are rolling a shaman to solo, well... there are much better classes. Mystics can turn some of their spells into combat arts via AAs, but their eof tree isn't so hot. Mystics do get faster sow than defiler via AA, and their is a whole rez line of AAs you can take, but that is situational.

KatrinaDeath
05-26-2008, 06:37 PM
Once your guild goes Mythical you might find that Mystics are a bit more "wanted." Both can heal equally well but each have their own tricks for healing that make them boht more or less unique in different situations. I was a Defiler from 1-60 the went Mystic. I love the ability to puck 4k dps on trash mobs to turn around and top the heal parse on named.

Drawde
05-26-2008, 06:57 PM
Thank you guys for your thoughts.  They have helped me with my decision.  I think i'll go the Mystic route to start and see how things progress.  The nice thing is I like the ability to change factions later on to the other class if it fits more with my style.One more question I know this game now has AA's in them, is this the same as how EQ was where you can choose the percentage of xp to aaxp?  Lastly is it best to level to max levels before you start with the AA's or is it good to pick up some as you progress?  Thanks again for your thoughts and opinions.

yzyh
05-26-2008, 08:02 PM
<cite>Drawde wrote:</cite><blockquote>Thank you guys for your thoughts.  They have helped me with my decision.  I think i'll go the Mystic route to start and see how things progress.  The nice thing is I like the ability to change factions later on to the other class if it fits more with my style.One more question I know this game now has AA's in them, is this the same as how EQ was where you can choose the percentage of xp to aaxp?  Lastly is it best to level to max levels before you start with the AA's or is it good to pick up some as you progress?  Thanks again for your thoughts and opinions.</blockquote><p>No in EQ2 you get AA exp when you complet  a quest or the first time you kill a named (not all fo them give AA exp).</p><p>And in EQ2 you have a cap on AA. its 50/ 50 pre lvl 70 then its 70/ 70.</p><p>My advice is to spend 1 point in your shaman achievement. Then max your  Battle Priest AA in Mystic  achievement. (the AA that turn your spell into a melee attack).</p><p>Unlike your on a very group friendly server. You will solo most fo your play time till your 60's or + . And at lower lvl you can heal  just fine with a solo build. Many still use their solo build while healing in group in their 70's.  Or you can always buy an AA mirror for 20g. (it let you switch betwin 2 AA build)</p>

Daedalus Raistlin
05-26-2008, 08:49 PM
As noted above, AA's are gained for completing quests, killing named mobs for the first time, and also for obtaining certain items (I think its the first time you loot a status item of that type and tier.)If I might provide some suggestions on a soloing mystic, the following has served me quite well up to level 59, and I have no trouble taking out heroics 7 levels below me, even multiple ones.As a soloing Mystic, I focus on Strength and Stamina, with a little bit of Wisdom. Currently, with my buffs (some Master 1), I get over 450 Str, 250 Sta, 300 Wis.As others have suggested, take the combat AA's in the EoF tree (I haven't maxed mine out, I put enough in to get the bottom capability that increases parry and such.) I also use the Strength KoS tree (for the pet - group ward and increased attacked speed), and the Stamina tree for 100% melee critical and increased heal criticals.I'm still a great group healer too with this setup, though grouping could probably benefit from a respec to more healing-orientated.