PDA

View Full Version : Educate Me Please...


TantrumX
12-13-2007, 06:25 AM
<p>So i've been following these gripes and complaint threads for a few days now, and I was just wondering...((not being a PvPer yet in this game...since out of the hardcore PvP MMO's, EQ2 doesn't appear to even be in the running))...</p><p>Is mentoring disabled on a PvP server?</p><p>It just seems to me that everyone complaining about missing out on content...I thought that was one of the sole reasons behind having that option, so you can enjoy all the content from lvl 1-79 by mentoring. Which kinda burns a hole in the people complaining about how there's so much content out there that they're going to miss out on it as well as AA's.</p><p>If it is...then my apologies for jumping in your Kool-Aid...but from the outside looking in ((not being one to exploit)) it looks like a good change. This is hurting normal PvPer's how? Now if mentoring is disabled, then I can see why a few are upset...I would be too. </p><p>The people praising this change seems to be the kind of welcoming crowd I would want on a PvP server ((To the point of making me create an alt on one of the pvp servers as I type this)), while the ones cursing it seem to be the ex-WoWzerz mad that the same 'L2P and adapt to things not going your way' they throw at all the nooblets, being slapped back in there face. </p><p>So please...educate me on why this seems to be causing anyone grief? For the so called 'twinks' that say they worked hard to get their toons the way they are in T2 and how they should be rewarded for dedicating their time making their builds just right, those in T7-T8 who have spent the time going through all the other tiers shouldn't be rewarded for their time and hard work spent making their class the best it can be? Does not the same hard work and dedication apply to you as well with this change? </p>

TniEradani
12-13-2007, 06:38 AM
<p>Mentoring is not disabled on PvP servers.</p><p>HOWEVER</p><p>You cannot initiate pvp combat nor defend yourself if you are attacked pvp while mentored.</p>

TantrumX
12-13-2007, 12:03 PM
<cite>[email protected] wrote:</cite><blockquote><p>You cannot initiate pvp combat nor defend yourself if you are attacked pvp while mentored.</p></blockquote>Ouch.

Xzerius
12-13-2007, 12:08 PM
Yeppers, you become a sitting duck if you are mentoring someone. You have one option and that is to try and run but, we all know snares, and slow spells, roots,stifles, stuns etc............ pretty much make that moot as well.

voxranger
12-13-2007, 12:16 PM
<cite>Xzerius wrote:</cite><blockquote>Yeppers, you become a sitting duck if you are mentoring someone. You have one option and that is to try and run but, we all know snares, and slow spells, roots,stifles, stuns etc............ pretty much make that moot as well.</blockquote>Yeah - personally i think they should flag you if you are mentoring so opposing faction can see it - keep it so you or your group cannot attack, but if you or your goup is attacked - unload <img src="/smilies/3b63d1616c5dfcf29f8a7a031aaa7cad.gif" border="0" alt="SMILEY" />

Xzerius
12-13-2007, 12:23 PM
<p>Thing is.......  you ARE  flagged in a way.  You show up as non aggro and any pvp'er knows this and takes full advantage of a sitting duck when they see it.</p><p>I know people have exploited this in the past and I still say that if soe instituted the original mentoring ruleset where you had to reset your hot bars to skills you would be using at that level then the problem would be solved on a pvp server to allow this to happen. I too dont feel that a mentored down fury to level 16 should be able to whip out " ring of fire" but this would definitely solve that problem.</p><p>I'm sure some of you recall these painful endevours in doing the whole /load_hot_key thing</p><p>Otherwise I agree.............  you hit me...... then I get to hit you.</p>

TantrumX
12-13-2007, 12:32 PM
Then perhaps this update wasn't as well thought out as it should have been.

Xzerius
12-13-2007, 12:35 PM
<p>naw. this update changed nothing for mentoring system. OP was just looking for info on the ruleset for pvp  mentoring.</p>

TantrumX
12-13-2007, 12:49 PM
<p>I am the OP, but it seems as though now this was just a quick fix for the problem without looking at different areas of the game that perhaps needed some touching up as well. Without exploiting the mentoring system, those complaining about missing out on content and aa would have no legs to stand on, but as you all describe it...it seems like a penalty for mentoring as it is right now. If mentoring wasn't penalized, it would be much easier IMO to tell those genuinely level locking for content from the ones just mad because they're not on easy mode anymore.</p>

Phea
12-13-2007, 10:03 PM
<cite>[email protected] Bayle wrote:</cite><blockquote><p>I am the OP, but it seems as though now this was just a quick fix for the problem without looking at different areas of the game that perhaps needed some touching up as well. Without exploiting the mentoring system, those complaining about missing out on content and aa would have no legs to stand on, but as you all describe it...it seems like a penalty for mentoring as it is right now. If mentoring wasn't penalized, it would be much easier IMO to tell those genuinely level locking for content from the ones just mad because they're not on easy mode anymore.</p></blockquote>SOE likes to follow the complaints.People want a class nerfed? OKAY GUYS! Lets do it! /nerfPeople dont like level locks? SHABAM! /nerfT2 PvP a gank fest? ZOMG! /nerfMentoring just hasnt been "pregnant female dogged" over enough, I suppose. Quick! Someone complain!--Mentoring is really just for PvE. Ive had a mentored healer in my group before--he couldnt engage obviously--and he just chain healed us 'til we killed the Q's. Buffs and heals are the only plus sides that come to mind for PvP mentoring.No. It hasnt been thought out at all.

Hinosh
12-13-2007, 10:13 PM
<cite>[email protected] wrote:</cite><blockquote><cite>[email protected] Bayle wrote:</cite><blockquote><p>...</p></blockquote><p>...</p><p>Mentoring is really just for PvE.</p><p>...</p></blockquote>No, it isn't. It is meant to allow players to help lower level friends out without having to create another character, so if someone's having trouble with PvP and has a higher level friend, they should be able to mentor and help PvP with them.

Spyderbite
12-13-2007, 10:32 PM
<cite>Hinosh wrote:</cite><blockquote><cite></cite>so if someone's having trouble with PvP and has a higher level friend, they should be able to mentor and help PvP with them.</blockquote>Huh?Maybe I missed something.. but, everytime I mentor somebody I can't help in any way except perhaps shout words of encouragement. <img src="/smilies/69934afc394145350659cd7add244ca9.gif" border="0" alt="SMILEY" />

Hinosh
12-13-2007, 10:38 PM
<cite>[email protected] wrote:</cite><blockquote><cite>Hinosh wrote:</cite><blockquote><cite></cite>so if someone's having trouble with PvP and has a higher level friend, they <b>should</b> be able to mentor and help PvP with them.</blockquote>Huh?Maybe I missed something.. but, everytime I mentor somebody I can't help in any way except perhaps shout words of encouragement. <img src="/eq2/images/smilies/69934afc394145350659cd7add244ca9.gif" border="0" alt="SMILEY<img src="/smilies/69934afc394145350659cd7add244ca9.gif" border="0" alt="SMILEY" />" width="15" height="15" /></blockquote>You can help in PvE, but not in PvP. That's why I said <b>should</b>. As in, "You <b>should</b> be able to pwn n00bzxorz wit teh ubarz leetxz faebldzs lol nd iz g4ymike<----" but you can't.

seejester
12-14-2007, 11:38 AM
<span style="font-size: small;color: #00ff00;">Yes, it sucks that you cannot fight back when you're mentored helping a lowbie buddy -- you get jumped, and can do nothing about it except run. But I believe this is still better then how things used to be.In EQ2, when you mentor, all your gear and spells get reduced to bring it more inline with the new level, <i>but you still have them</i>. There are many special abilities to each class that only becomes available at much higher levels, and there are some incredible pieces of gear with procs and superior stats that, though scaled down, still beat out most anything found at a lower tier.The result? The mentored character was the ultimate uber twink, with spells and capabilities no same class at that mentored level even had access to. For those of you playing back in those days, I'm sure you remember what it was like to come across a green character that could solo your entire group, slaughtering at will as you watched gape-mouthed at the God disguised as a lowbie.I mentor when I help lowbie buds. I HATE watching PvP roll in, and all I can do is watch my friend die and flee to avoid the same fate. BUT, I understand it is, indeed, the lesser of two evils.</span>

MaCloud1032
12-14-2007, 01:19 PM
When the server first went up you could menter town and pvp.  But people where getting rolled my groups of mentored people that couldnt be touched. (Sounds a lot loke the twink/locker problem dont it)  So for fairness the set it to its current state where you cant fight at all if mentored.

TniEradani
12-14-2007, 11:14 PM
<cite>[email protected] wrote:</cite><blockquote>When the server first went up you could menter town and pvp.  But people where getting rolled my groups of mentored people that couldnt be touched. (Sounds a lot loke the twink/locker problem dont it)  So for fairness the set it to its current state where you cant fight at all if mentored.</blockquote><p>Your conceptions are horridly conjured. Unlike mentoring from a high tier down to a low tier, which would grant you instant invulnerable status comparable to other characters, LEVEL LOCKERS actually WORKED for their aptitude. Your knowledge of circumstance is quite paltry for being level 80 with over 5,596 kills.</p><p>Yours truly,<a rel="nofollow" href="http://eq2players.station.sony.com/characters/character_profile.vm?characterId=474885120" target="_blank">Seliri Dar'Yanne</a>LVL 26 Shadowknight<a rel="nofollow" href="http://eq2players.station.sony.com/guilds/guild_profile.vm?guildId=3636120" target="_blank">Acolytes of Guile</a>Freeport of <a rel="nofollow" href="http://eq2players.station.sony.com/leaderboards/classLeaderboardReport.action?report=most_pvp_kill s&classId=9" target="_blank">Nagafen#9 in PvP SK Kills</a></p><p>(*Posting courtesy of an associate's account.)</p>

Yonaton
12-15-2007, 12:07 AM
<cite>[email protected] Bayle wrote:</cite><blockquote><p>So i've been following these gripes and complaint threads for a few days now, and I was just wondering...((not being a PvPer yet in this game...since out of the hardcore PvP MMO's, EQ2 doesn't appear to even be in the running))...</p><p>Is mentoring disabled on a PvP server?</p><p>It just seems to me that everyone complaining about missing out on content...I thought that was one of the sole reasons behind having that option, so you can enjoy all the content from lvl 1-79 by mentoring. Which kinda burns a hole in the people complaining about how there's so much content out there that they're going to miss out on it as well as AA's.</p><p>If it is...then my apologies for jumping in your Kool-Aid...but from the outside looking in ((not being one to exploit)) it looks like a good change. This is hurting normal PvPer's how? Now if mentoring is disabled, then I can see why a few are upset...I would be too. </p><p>The people praising this change seems to be the kind of welcoming crowd I would want on a PvP server ((To the point of making me create an alt on one of the pvp servers as I type this)), while the ones cursing it seem to be the ex-WoWzerz mad that the same 'L2P and adapt to things not going your way' they throw at all the nooblets, being slapped back in there face. </p><p>So please...educate me on why this seems to be causing anyone grief? For the so called 'twinks' that say they worked hard to get their toons the way they are in T2 and how they should be rewarded for dedicating their time making their builds just right, those in T7-T8 who have spent the time going through all the other tiers shouldn't be rewarded for their time and hard work spent making their class the best it can be? Does not the same hard work and dedication apply to you as well with this change? </p></blockquote><p>You cannot mentor and fight pvp. You are basically,meat if they got enough dps to take your decreased stats and mit.</p><p> And I wouldn't be too snuggly with those lvl 80 pvp'ers honestly. When you get up there,you'll see what a gankfest really is about.</p>

Phea
12-15-2007, 03:14 PM
<cite>Hinosh wrote:</cite><blockquote><cite>[email protected] wrote:</cite><blockquote><cite>[email protected] Bayle wrote:</cite><blockquote><p>...</p></blockquote><p>...</p><p>Mentoring is really just for PvE.</p><p>...</p></blockquote>No, it isn't. It is meant to allow players to help lower level friends out without having to create another character, so if someone's having trouble with PvP and has a higher level friend, they should be able to mentor and help PvP with them.</blockquote>I think I said that following the only line you quoted.Indirectly, but I said it.