PDA

View Full Version : Why I play EQ2 and the future of it

Mali
12-08-2007, 01:10 AM
I play MMOs for PvP. PvE is nothing more than a unappealing, yet necessary, stepping stone used to gear myself so I can excel at PvP. I find it boring, monotonous and scripted. I came from WoW about 3 months ago. What [Removed for Content] me off the most about WoW was the fact you <u>had</u> to have a higher level toon to have any kind of success in the lower level battlegrounds (pvp). It took ungodly amounts of time and gold, that was virtually impossible to attain at low levels, to outfit a character that had a chance of killing a twink. When I started playing Everquest 2 I did research on the forums before jumping ingame. I read all about locking, MC gear, adornments, and most everything else needed to be successful. My second day ingame I was level 14 and had a full set of MC armor/jewelry/etc. By the end of week 1 I was level 17, had several masters, with the rest adept III's, 5 plat in the bank, full adornments, and a PvP KvD record of 3 to 1. What I've discovered is, this game is NOT WoW! It was all too easy for me to equipment myself and be competitive in PvP right from the get go. Locking allowed me to learn and play the game at my own pace. Enabling combat experience gain in PvP just kills the game for myself and Im sure many others. Now I'm going to be forced to either run from most all my fights (or die) or [Removed for Content] myself overtime with very little to no AA gain as I advance in levels. With the addition of all these speed enhancement racials it makes it all too easy for most everyone to run from a fight and live. Who is going to stick around when actually killing someone is gimping yourself over time? Of course all the current T7 and 8's are hooting and hollering over these changes. They have everything to gain and nothing to lose because when the masses level up they're going to be way behind the power curve and thus be chum. This isn't an 'I quit" thread. I plan to stick around and see how this all pans out. I'm hoping for the best but I don't see how this does anything but hurt gameplay for alot of people. I'm not the sort of person to stick around and wait for sunnier weather. If I find myself not enjoying the game anymore I'll move on to something else.

Bloodfa
12-08-2007, 02:00 AM
You're not going to level up after 10 kills.  I'm going to bet you won't level up after 100 kills.  Stick around.  If you like T2 PvP, T3 is better.  It doesn't stagnate until around level 50 or so.  But it's just the 50-60 range.  It gets better and better, just give it a shot.  Raiding is not necessary.  This is from someone who pretty much soloed through (up to 70) about 85-90% of the game.  And before any T2-3 brainiacs, comment, on  the few raids I went on, 3 out of 4 resulted in people I knew on the raid informing me of invites from the raid leaders.  If you've the stomach for it, and can log onto an alt when things are just not going to go your way without crying about it, then the game is for you.  If having the playing field evened is too much for somebody, PvP wasn't what they wanted.  They wanted PvE with a little extra bragging rights.  And I've got toons in several tiers.  The lower ones cost sooo much less to gear up than the high ones.  The ones with 70-80 toons already know this.

Spyderbite
12-08-2007, 02:13 AM
I've played EQ2 for over a year now. My main is level 44 and I've never locked. I don't have a T8 toon on my server and I'm in no hurry to get there. I find myself in PvP fights daily.. several times a day. When I'm not outnumbered 5 to 1 I find it very enjoyable. Not sure where this "forcing us to level to T8" is coming from.From what I've read today in various posts.. it isn't the leveling that's the issue. Its the attitude that people believe they "must win at all costs". This isn't unique to EQ2.. it exists in all MMOs with PvP. EQ2 is just taking the necessary steps to [Removed for Content] it in the bud at lower levels.Adapt or move on to another game.. or boycott all Sony products as another poster suggests. Gawd.. I've been chuckling over that one all day. XD

Psych
12-08-2007, 02:19 AM
<cite>[email protected] wrote:</cite><blockquote>I play MMOs for PvP. PvE is nothing more than a unappealing, yet necessary, stepping stone used to gear myself so I can excel at PvP. I find it boring, monotonous and scripted. I came from WoW about 3 months ago. What [Removed for Content] me off the most about WoW was the fact you <u>had</u> to have a higher level toon to have any kind of success in the lower level battlegrounds (pvp). It took ungodly amounts of time and gold, that was virtually impossible to attain at low levels, to outfit a character that had a chance of killing a twink. When I started playing Everquest 2 I did research on the forums before jumping ingame. I read all about locking, MC gear, adornments, and most everything else needed to be successful. <span style="color: #ff0000;"><u>My second day ingame I was level 14 and had a full set of MC armor/jewelry/etc. By the end of week 1 I was level 17, had several masters, with the rest adept III's, 5 plat in the bank, full adornments, and a PvP KvD record of 3 to 1.</u></span> What I've discovered is, this game is NOT WoW! It was all too easy for me to equipment myself and be competitive in PvP right from the get go.<span style="color: #0000ff;">RESULT NOT TYPICAL -  I've raised 8+ twinks through tier 2 on the pvp-rp server and the majority of players I see at those levels are not twinked out. I had time to inspect them while they rebuff at the Wanderlust Fair right after they were killed.</span> <span style="color: #ff0000;"><u> Locking allowed me to learn and play the game at my own pace.</u></span><span style="color: #0000ff;">You can still learn the game at your own pace. You just cant get tons of pvp kills without lvl'ing. Learn all you want as 100% of the content in the game between level 1 and 80 gives no exp aside from quests and pvp as long as your locked! You could see almost every inch of the game use almost every CA, SPELL, gain a huge assortment of items and more without completing a single quest or killing a single player. If you cant learn at that pace you dont deserve to use TEH INTARWEBZ.</span> Enabling combat experience gain in PvP just kills the game for myself and Im sure many others. Now I'm going to be forced to either run from most all my fights (or die) or [Removed for Content] myself overtime with very little to no AA gain as I advance in levels. With the addition of all these speed enhancement racials it makes it all too easy for most everyone to run from a fight and live. Who is going to stick around when actually killing someone is gimping yourself over time? Of course all the current T7 and 8's are hooting and hollering over these changes. <u><span style="color: #ff0000;">They have everything to gain and nothing to lose because when the masses level up they're going to be way behind the power curve and thus be chum. </span></u> <span style="color: #3300ff;">Oh. You mean they will be weaker! Like new players that didnt farm up plat for mastercrafted by level 14 were against you. Yeah. I get it...thanks...for clearly stating why we needed to have pvp always give exp.</span> This isn't an 'I quit" thread. I plan to stick around and see how this all pans out. I'm hoping for the best but I don't see how this does anything but hurt gameplay for alot of people. I'm not the sort of person to stick around and wait for sunnier weather.<u><span style="color: #ff0000;"> If I find myself not enjoying the game anymore I'll move on to something else.</span></u><span style="color: #3300ff;">Can I has your stuff?</span></blockquote>