PDA

View Full Version : "invisible mode"


Skua
10-18-2007, 10:26 AM
its possible to log on , w/o friends and guild noticing???

Oakleafe
10-18-2007, 10:35 AM
Not that I am aware of.  It is possible to speak to people on chat via the Sony EQIIPlayers website, but that is a service level for which you have to pay.

Wyrmypops
10-18-2007, 10:55 AM
Could have an unguilded alt, and a do a /who all on your guild name.

xphil3
10-18-2007, 11:38 AM
I wish there was a way to control when you appear online as well. Most services that show your online status to friends have this feature (IM software for example), no reason why this should be any different.

Saroc_Luclin
10-18-2007, 11:57 AM
The Game isn't an IM service thoguh. Though (and I haven't confirmed it yet) the Station Launcher is more like an IM service and you can select who you want to see you online (but only if you are online via the launcher, not in game)

SugarGirl
10-18-2007, 12:16 PM
I've wanted this feature as well. Sometimes I like to just log on for a bit and solo.

xphil3
10-18-2007, 01:00 PM
<cite>Saroc_Luclin wrote:</cite><div ><img src="chrome://egskin-modern.new/skin/small_menu.png" alt="" border="0" /></div><div ><img src="chrome://egskin-modern.new/skin/small_link.png" alt="" border="0" /><img src="chrome://egskin-modern.new/skin/matchCase_Off.png" alt="" border="0" /><img src="chrome://egskin-modern.new/skin/altMenuSign.png" alt="" border="0" /><div ><img src="chrome://egskin-modern.new/skin/contextMenuSign.png" alt="" border="0" /><img src="chrome://egskin-modern.new/skin/contextMenuSign.png" alt="" border="0" /></div></div><blockquote>The Game isn't an IM service thoguh.</blockquote>True, but the in game friends list/chat channels are similar to IM services at their core, so that's where I drew my parallel. If you have a game mechanic that announces your online status to people, you should also include a way to hide this info if you choose.

Femke
10-18-2007, 01:16 PM
<cite>SugarGirl wrote:</cite><blockquote>I've wanted this feature as well. Sometimes I like to just log on for a bit and solo. </blockquote>And???I log on and someone from my friendlist/guild asks me to group I just say simple "No sorry, I want to solo a bit". I never heard a bad remark about that. And a "/AFK Not in the mood to chat. Send me a mail and I will contact you" does the rest.No need for an invisible mode at all for me.Femke.

Gladiia
10-18-2007, 01:17 PM
I can understand not wanting to show up on other people's "friend" list.  I'm not sure why you would not want to show up for your guild though.  I guess it would depend on the guild maybe?

xphil3
10-18-2007, 01:48 PM
<cite>[email protected] Bazaar wrote:</cite><blockquote>I can understand not wanting to show up on other people's "friend" list.  I'm not sure why you would not want to show up for your guild though.  I guess it would depend on the guild maybe?</blockquote>I guess some people are just more private than others and like to control whether they are announced to the world every time they log in, to friends, guildmates or otherwise. Just about all chat type software and this very forum have options to not show when you're online, so there must be enough people who use "stealth mode" features if it's such a commonly given option. If you don't need it and like to always be open for messages from people, that's cool, but that doesn't mean there aren't plenty of people who would like to be given a choice. <img src="/eq2/images/smilies/8a80c6485cd926be453217d59a84a888.gif" border="0" alt="SMILEY" width="15" height="15" />

Gladiia
10-18-2007, 01:50 PM
<cite>xphil3 wrote:</cite><blockquote><cite>[email protected] Bazaar wrote:</cite><blockquote>I can understand not wanting to show up on other people's "friend" list.  I'm not sure why you would not want to show up for your guild though.  I guess it would depend on the guild maybe?</blockquote>I guess some people are just more private than others and like to control whether they are announced to the world every time they log in, to friends, guildmates or otherwise. Just about all chat type software and this very forum have options to not show when you're online, so there must be enough people who use "stealth mode" features if it's such a commonly given option. If you don't need it and like to always be open for messages from people, that's cool, but that doesn't mean there aren't plenty of people who would like to be given a choice. <img src="/eq2/images/smilies/8a80c6485cd926be453217d59a84a888.gif" border="0" alt="SMILEY" width="15" height="15" /></blockquote>True enough

Devastation Jones
10-18-2007, 03:44 PM
<p>I would also be a huge fan of this option, and I am actually shocked that it doesn't already exist.  There are just too many times where-as I just have a very short amount of time to play and don't want to spend half of it responding to "hey there" tells from friends and guildies and declining invites to group from the same.  Granted you could just put up your AFK, and decline invites without responses, but I tend to view that as rude (at least to friends/guidlemates)....and explaining that you just have a limited amount of time and are going to just solo or work on TS over and over again just chews up too much of what time you have.  With this option, you could get in, do your thing, and get out- making the most of your time and not potetially offending anyone.  Not to mention that untimately you would be saving those people that are contacting you time as well.</p><p> I would think this to be a very simple feature to add, as I would totally agree with xphil on the mechanics.</p>

KBern
10-18-2007, 04:19 PM
<p>How about you simply put up an AFK tag, "Dont bother me right now."</p><p>This is not an IM type program.  This is a game with a video representation of you in game.  What is the point of a private mode if you can physically stumble into the people you are trying to avoid.</p>

Skua
10-18-2007, 04:19 PM
<cite>Devastation Jones wrote:</cite><blockquote><p>I would also be a huge fan of this option, and I am actually shocked that it doesn't already exist.  There are just too many times where-as I just have a very short amount of time to play and don't want to spend half of it responding to "hey there" tells from friends and guildies and declining invites to group from the same.  Granted you could just put up your AFK, and decline invites without responses, but I tend to view that as rude (at least to friends/guidlemates)....and explaining that you just have a limited amount of time and are going to just solo or work on TS over and over again just chews up too much of what time you have.  With this option, you could get in, do your thing, and get out- making the most of your time and not potetially offending anyone.  Not to mention that untimately you would be saving those people that are contacting you time as well.</p><p> I would think this to be a very simple feature to add, as I would totally agree with xphil on the mechanics.</p></blockquote>Yeah thats why i asked about it.

mellowknees72
10-18-2007, 04:22 PM
<cite>[email protected] wrote:</cite><blockquote>How about you simply put up an AFK tag, "Dont bother me right now."</blockquote><p>My husband frequently will have an AFK message that just says "NO!".  LOL.</p><p>I'm fairly established as anti-social on my server (YAY!), so I don't get bothered for the most part.  It would be nice to have the option to appear "invisible"...until someone from your guild who was looking for you happened to come around the corner and see you there.  I could see some raiding guilds with requirements for attendance and such taking issue with such a feature, but I sure as heck wouldn't.</p><p>In the meantime, though, the AFK message is a good way to deal with it.  Only problem is that it drops when you zone, so you have to remember to set it again.</p>

KBern
10-18-2007, 04:42 PM
<cite>[email protected] wrote:</cite><blockquote><cite>[email protected] wrote:</cite><blockquote>How about you simply put up an AFK tag, "Dont bother me right now."</blockquote><p>My husband frequently will have an AFK message that just says "NO!".  LOL.</p><p>I'm fairly established as anti-social on my server (YAY!), so I don't get bothered for the most part.  It would be nice to have the option to appear "invisible"...until someone from your guild who was looking for you happened to come around the corner and see you there.  I could see some raiding guilds with requirements for attendance and such taking issue with such a feature, but I sure as heck wouldn't.</p><p>In the meantime, though, the AFK message is a good way to deal with it.  Only problem is that it drops when you zone, so you have to remember to set it again.</p></blockquote><p>Thats what confuses me about this type of request.  People talk about not wanting to come across rude but I would hope most people's friends or guildies would understand someone wanting to be left alone and not think it is rude.  At least you are being honest.</p><p>Something as simple as "/afk sorry busy day and want to be left alone, thanks!"</p><p>I would think it would be seen as more rude if you were caught using invis mode, and then running into one of the people you are trying to avoid.</p>

Eviljoe2
10-18-2007, 05:15 PM
<p>Other MMORPGs have this feature, Guild Wars, for example.  There is no reason EQ2 could not have it.</p><p>Over the coarse of a year, you can develop several friends and guild mates, some, you just cannot have a short chat with...because it is not the relationship that was established...I would love to be able to log on and harvest shinies for an hour without having to tell anyone...especially because I am Newbie friendly, there are just some who wait for me to log in because they have 30 questions for me....Even if I have AFK up, I can see them sending tells every couple mins to see if I am back yet...makes me feel bad.  I would rather not appear sometimes.</p><p>As for being able to run into them in game, yes that is a chance you take, but it is easy enough to see where friends are and avoid that zone.</p>

Finora
10-18-2007, 05:36 PM
<p>While I suppose the feature could be useful to some, I fail to see how logging in, telling your guildmates you've had a rough day/are in a bad mood/have a limited time to play/don't feel like chatting etc is all that difficult or rude. Everyone has days like that. I've yet to have an issue from a friend or guildmate bugging me when I say something like that. </p><p>I've been known to turn off guildchat, tells & group invites if I'm feeling particularly [Removed for Content]. Using the afk message to let people know is good (lucky for me most of my online friends are also guildmates so I can take care of the 'I'm [Removed for Content], leave me alone' in one fell swoop for everyone.)  I don't see how an afk message telling them exactly what you'd tell them if they found you online anyhow is rude... I mean really hehe I know I'd leave my friends alone if I sent a tell and got /afk Grumpy, want to be left alone. Sorry.  Seems polite enough to me.</p>

Eviljoe2
10-18-2007, 06:05 PM
<cite>[email protected] wrote:</cite><blockquote><p>While I suppose the feature could be useful to some, I fail to see how logging in, telling your guildmates you've had a rough day/are in a bad mood/have a limited time to play/don't feel like chatting etc is all that difficult or rude. Everyone has days like that. I've yet to have an issue from a friend or guildmate bugging me when I say something like that. </p><p>I've been known to turn off guildchat, tells & group invites if I'm feeling particularly [Removed for Content]. Using the afk message to let people know is good (lucky for me most of my online friends are also guildmates so I can take care of the 'I'm [Removed for Content], leave me alone' in one fell swoop for everyone.)  I don't see how an afk message telling them exactly what you'd tell them if they found you online anyhow is rude... I mean really hehe I know I'd leave my friends alone if I sent a tell and got /afk Grumpy, want to be left alone. Sorry.  Seems polite enough to me.</p></blockquote><p>That is built into your personality.  Some people see that as rude and whether it is or not, they feel rude in doing so.  It is best to have an option to not be shown online, that way you can either use it or not..those who feel rude putting up afk or saying "dont want to be bothered" don't need to worry....</p><p>It is like that neighbor who talks your ear off...sometimes you want to just sneak into the house and not be seen by him, rather than to have to explain that you are in a hurry, or had a bad day and cannot talk...</p>

xphil3
10-18-2007, 06:17 PM
<cite>Eviljoe2 wrote:</cite><blockquote><cite>[email protected] wrote:</cite><p>It is like that neighbor who talks your ear off...sometimes you want to just sneak into the house and not be seen by him, rather than to have to explain that you are in a hurry, or had a bad day and cannot talk...</p></blockquote>Exactly. And the people who don't mind explaining that they don't want to be bothered to dozens of people can *gasp* NOT USE IT. Options, people. The more, the better.

azcandace
10-18-2007, 06:21 PM
I know this is kind of off topic but the way you all are talking about the /afk was wondering if you are able to control what the message says to others?

TaleraRis
10-18-2007, 06:23 PM
<cite>[email protected] wrote:</cite><blockquote><cite></cite><p>I could see some raiding guilds with requirements for attendance and such taking issue with such a feature, but I sure as heck wouldn't.</p></blockquote>I knew a lot of people back in Live in hardcore guilds who had "free" alts. They didn't tell their main guild about these alts, didn't group with people who knew them on these alts and basically were just another one of the masses to their hardcore guild when on these alts. They did this because if their guild knew they were online, then their time was not their own. They were expected to play this main or that alt and go to this raid or be in this group because tonight they were going after this target, etc. I always felt sorry for them that they were never allowed to have had a bad day and just want to log in their favorite, most played character and do something to let off some steam for a while on their own. They had to hide away on alts just so they could do what they wanted for a night. So I can't say I would take offense at the feature, either. I wouldn't use it, but I wouldn't begrudge those who need a little time to themselves getting that time.

StormCinder
10-18-2007, 07:31 PM
<cite>[email protected] wrote:</cite><blockquote>I know this is kind of off topic but the way you all are talking about the /afk was wondering if you are able to control what the message says to others?</blockquote><p>I believe it's just :  /afk message (ex. "/afk Feeding kids&quot<img src="/smilies/8a80c6485cd926be453217d59a84a888.gif" border="0" alt="SMILEY" /></p><p>Back to OP...I think this <u><b><i>option</i></b></u> has a legitimate place in the game.  Like other options, you don't have to use it if you don't want to.   I wonder if those opposed are afraid they'll suddenly find all of their "friends" not online much anymore.  LOL</p><p>Also, it's important to note...anyone can add you to their friends list, not just your friends.   There is no consent by the added party...something else that should be considered:  "StormCinder would like to add you to his friends list.  Yes/No"</p><p>SC</p>