PDA

View Full Version : Sarnak Racial Abilities: Ideas?


Mirander_1
05-10-2007, 10:15 PM
So we know that Sarnak's are going to have some sort of unique racial abilities, like the Fae/Arasai.  I wanted to start a thread to toss out one of my ideas for their unique ability, and see if anyone else has any ideas. Looking at the lore for Sarnaks, two things about them stuck out as a possibilty for their abilities: that they're a magically created dragon/iksar hybrid, and that the EQ2 player Sarnaks were further altered through some magical means.  What I'm thinking of is basically having racial traditions like all other races, but that they will have a bigger effect, and may even have visual effects on them. Looking at Sarnak lore for EQ2, I was struck by how cool it would be for Sarnaks to have some sort of racial progression similar to the Dragon Disciples in the Neverwinter Nights games.  What I mean by that is, as Sarnaks level up, the magical altering they've gone through will bring out more of their draconic heritage, giving them new abilities/bonuses/visual changes.  Here's some specific sarnak racial traditions I came up with: Hardened Claws: the Sarnak's claws become harder and sharper.  Gives a small bonus to all melee damage.  Visually makes the claws look bigger. Breath Weapon: the Sarnak's elemental type comes through.  Gives a moderately powerful nuke of a specified element (fire, ice, lightning, etc.)   And none of this 'one use every half-hour' thing that many other races have.  Visual: next time you long-in the Sarnak, you'll be given the free option to change your scale color to one of that element (fire=shades of red, ice=silver or white); before this, the Sarnak would only have shades of the brownish color they normally have. Stregthened Scales: Scales become harder, giving a slight defense buff.  Probably wouldn't have a visual change. Wings: the Sarnak sprouts wings.  Gives the slowfall ability (but not the Glide trait).  Visual: duh... So what do you think?  Like this idea? have ideas of your own?

Josgar
05-10-2007, 10:21 PM
faster swimming seeing clearly under water never have to breathe underwater longer time without having to breathe under water

Cusashorn
05-11-2007, 02:07 AM
<cite>Josgar wrote:</cite><blockquote>faster swimming seeing clearly under water never have to breathe underwater longer time without having to breathe under water </blockquote><p> Not exactly racial abilities. Not on the same level as the glide feature that the faeries have.</p><p>If combat balance wasn't a factor, I'd say it'd make sense for them to have a shrieking cry that momentarily stunned mobs for like a split second. I remember how those things roared and screamed in EQlive. They were <span style="font-size: xx-large">LOUD!</span></p>

Besual
05-11-2007, 05:44 AM
<cite>Mirander_1 wrote:</cite><blockquote>So we know that Sarnak's are going to have some sort of unique racial abilities, like the Fae/Arasai.  I wanted to start a thread to toss out one of my ideas for their unique ability, and see if anyone else has any ideas. Looking at the lore for Sarnaks, two things about them stuck out as a possibilty for their abilities: that they're a magically created dragon/iksar hybrid, and that the EQ2 player Sarnaks were further altered through some magical means.  What I'm thinking of is basically having racial traditions like all other races, but that they will have a bigger effect, and may even have visual effects on them. Looking at Sarnak lore for EQ2, I was struck by how cool it would be for Sarnaks to have some sort of racial progression similar to the Dragon Disciples in the Neverwinter Nights games.  What I mean by that is, as Sarnaks level up, the magical altering they've gone through will bring out more of their draconic heritage, giving them new abilities/bonuses/visual changes.  Here's some specific sarnak racial traditions I came up with: Hardened Claws: the Sarnak's claws become harder and sharper.  Gives a small bonus to all melee damage.  Visually makes the claws look bigger. <b> To be inline with current racial abilities</b><b> (non-fey)</b><b>: +15damage for 30sec, recast 30min </b> Breath Weapon: the Sarnak's elemental type comes through.  Gives a moderately powerful nuke of a specified element (fire, ice, lightning, etc.)   And none of this 'one use every half-hour' thing that many other races have.  Visual: next time you long-in the Sarnak, you'll be given the free option to change your scale color to one of that element (fire=shades of red, ice=silver or white); before this, the Sarnak would only have shades of the brownish color they normally have. <b>To be inline with current racial abilities</b><b> (non-fey)</b><b>: 100damage short ranged </b><b>frontal </b><b>AE, recast 30min </b> Stregthened Scales: Scales become harder, giving a slight defense buff.  Probably wouldn't have a visual change. <b>To be inline with current racial abilities</b><b> (non-fey)</b><b>: +5defense</b> Wings: the Sarnak sprouts wings.  Gives the slowfall ability (but not the Glide trait).  Visual: duh... <b>To be inline with current racial abilities (non-fey):  overpowered. </b> So what do you think?  Like this idea? have ideas of your own? </blockquote> Edit and PS: The Sarnak abilities have to be weaker then the Iksar ones because the good iksar blood got weakened with dragon blood <img src="/smilies/8a80c6485cd926be453217d59a84a888.gif" border="0" alt="SMILEY" />

IrishWonder
05-11-2007, 05:58 AM
<p>Adaptation: The Sarnaks have the ability to adapt to their surroundings very well. They can survive by eating almost anything. This ability lets them summon one +5 mana regen, and one +5 hp regen food every 2 hours.</p><p>Rushed Labor: Living for years as Iksar slaves, the Sarnaks developed leet labor skillz yo. As a result, they can harvest nodes 0.17 seconds faster than other races. This only applies to nodes with Provisioner items.</p><p>Spirit of Emo: Growing up as the rejected children of Iksar and Dragons had a traumatic effect on the Sarnak race. As a result, the Sarnak can cut themselves once every day for a small heal over time.</p>

Articulas
05-11-2007, 12:23 PM
<cite>Cusashorn wrote:</cite><blockquote><cite>Josgar wrote:</cite><blockquote>faster swimming seeing clearly under water never have to breathe underwater longer time without having to breathe under water </blockquote><p> Not exactly racial abilities. Not on the same level as the glide feature that the faeries have.</p><p>If combat balance wasn't a factor, I'd say it'd make sense for them to have a shrieking cry that momentarily stunned mobs for like a split second. I remember how those things roared and screamed in EQlive. They were <span style="font-size: xx-large">LOUD!</span></p></blockquote>i have to agree, my EQLive guild spent hours down there, and they were loud. i just hope we get to see some of the bigger mobs created in more detail. that place was my favorite! I say cave vision. let them see clearly without a torch. their typically underground creatures.

Vyrance
05-11-2007, 12:53 PM
i would have figured that theyd have a tail ability of some sort.

Articulas
05-11-2007, 12:55 PM
<cite>Vyrance wrote:</cite><blockquote>i would have figured that theyd have a tail ability of some sort. </blockquote>Tigger?

Vyrance
05-11-2007, 12:58 PM
[email protected] Bayle wrote: <blockquote><cite>Vyrance wrote:</cite><blockquote>i would have figured that theyd have a tail ability of some sort. </blockquote>Tigger? </blockquote>more along the lines of a tail attack.. ;p

Cusashorn
05-11-2007, 01:05 PM
[email protected] Bayle wrote: <blockquote><cite>Cusashorn wrote:</cite><blockquote><cite>Josgar wrote:</cite><blockquote>faster swimming seeing clearly under water never have to breathe underwater longer time without having to breathe under water </blockquote><p> Not exactly racial abilities. Not on the same level as the glide feature that the faeries have.</p><p>If combat balance wasn't a factor, I'd say it'd make sense for them to have a shrieking cry that momentarily stunned mobs for like a split second. I remember how those things roared and screamed in EQlive. They were <span style="font-size: xx-large">LOUD!</span></p></blockquote>i have to agree, my EQLive guild spent hours down there, and they were loud. i just hope we get to see some of the bigger mobs created in more detail. that place was my favorite! I say cave vision. let them see clearly without a torch. their typically underground creatures. </blockquote>I never said anything about Chardok in my post. Just that the sarnaks are loud.

Articulas
05-11-2007, 01:06 PM
<cite>Cusashorn wrote:</cite><blockquote>[email protected] Bayle wrote: <blockquote><cite>Cusashorn wrote:</cite><blockquote><cite>Josgar wrote:</cite><blockquote>faster swimming seeing clearly under water never have to breathe underwater longer time without having to breathe under water </blockquote><p> Not exactly racial abilities. Not on the same level as the glide feature that the faeries have.</p><p>If combat balance wasn't a factor, I'd say it'd make sense for them to have a shrieking cry that momentarily stunned mobs for like a split second. I remember how those things roared and screamed in EQlive. They were <span style="font-size: xx-large">LOUD!</span></p></blockquote>i have to agree, my EQLive guild spent hours down there, and they were loud. i just hope we get to see some of the bigger mobs created in more detail. that place was my favorite! I say cave vision. let them see clearly without a torch. their typically underground creatures. </blockquote>I never said anything about Chardok in my post. Just that the sarnaks are loud. </blockquote>well i did.

Darian
05-11-2007, 01:56 PM
Since this is the Rise of Kunark will the Iksar be getting a new racial ability too?

Mirander_1
05-11-2007, 02:45 PM
<cite>Besual wrote:</cite><blockquote> <blockquote> <b> To be inline with current racial abilities</b><b> (non-fey)</b><b>: +15damage for 30sec, recast 30min </b> <b>To be inline with current racial abilities</b><b> (non-fey)</b><b>: 100damage short ranged </b><b>frontal </b><b>AE, recast 30min </b> <b>To be inline with current racial abilities</b><b> (non-fey)</b><b>: +5defense</b> <b>To be inline with current racial abilities (non-fey):  overpowered. </b> </blockquote> </blockquote>All true, but they probably won't be in line with the non-fae races.  Their plan, from what I understand, is to eventually bring the racial abilities of all the other races up to par with what the Fae, Arasai, and probably Sarnaks get.

Josgar
05-11-2007, 05:14 PM
[email protected] Bayle wrote: <blockquote><cite>Cusashorn wrote:</cite><blockquote>[email protected] Bayle wrote: <blockquote><cite>Cusashorn wrote:</cite><blockquote><cite>Josgar wrote:</cite><blockquote>faster swimming seeing clearly under water never have to breathe underwater longer time without having to breathe under water </blockquote><p> Not exactly racial abilities. Not on the same level as the glide feature that the faeries have.</p><p>If combat balance wasn't a factor, I'd say it'd make sense for them to have a shrieking cry that momentarily stunned mobs for like a split second. I remember how those things roared and screamed in EQlive. They were <span style="font-size: xx-large">LOUD!</span></p></blockquote>i have to agree, my EQLive guild spent hours down there, and they were loud. i just hope we get to see some of the bigger mobs created in more detail. that place was my favorite! I say cave vision. let them see clearly without a torch. their typically underground creatures. </blockquote>I never said anything about Chardok in my post. Just that the sarnaks are loud. </blockquote>well i did. </blockquote>They would work like featherfall did though... some special ability they start with. If there is alot of underwater content then it would be helpful if they could breathe water...

Korelen
05-11-2007, 05:39 PM
[email protected] wrote: <blockquote>Since this is the Rise of Kunark will the Iksar be getting a new racial ability too? </blockquote> I doubt it.

Mirander_1
05-11-2007, 05:56 PM
[email protected] wrote: <blockquote>[email protected] wrote: <blockquote>Since this is the Rise of Kunark will the Iksar be getting a new racial ability too? </blockquote> I doubt it. </blockquote>Unless they finish that racial revamp they've mentioned before in time for Kunark.

ke'la
05-12-2007, 07:07 PM
<cite>Mirander_1 wrote:</cite><blockquote><cite>Besual wrote:</cite><blockquote> <blockquote> <b> To be inline with current racial abilities</b><b> (non-fey)</b><b>: +15damage for 30sec, recast 30min </b> <b>To be inline with current racial abilities</b><b> (non-fey)</b><b>: 100damage short ranged </b><b>frontal </b><b>AE, recast 30min </b> <b>To be inline with current racial abilities</b><b> (non-fey)</b><b>: +5defense</b> <b>To be inline with current racial abilities (non-fey):  overpowered. </b> </blockquote> </blockquote>All true, but they probably won't be in line with the non-fae races.  Their plan, from what I understand, is to eventually bring the racial abilities of all the other races up to par with what the Fae, Arasai, and probably Sarnaks get. </blockquote>Scott flat out said that the Sarnaks are going to be getting a Cool unque racial ability inline with Fae/Arasai Glide, being they are being brought up on an Island chain an increased Swim Speed or Underwater breathing or both would not be too unrealistic, as would be GOOD underwater vision... NOT Frog Vision... I mean they should beable to see underwater like you do in places like Hawii where you can see, almost as good underwater(with goggles) as you do on land.

Mirander_1
05-12-2007, 08:03 PM
Yeah, I suppose I could see some sort of swimming-related racial trait for Sarnaks, since they're also half-Iksar.  Continuing with the theme behind my original post, with traits giving both a buff and a visual change, how 'bout something like this: Aquatic Adaptation: The Sarnak's Iksar heritage comes through, giving greater mobility in the water.  Gives a swimming speed buff.  Visual: the Sarnak's tail becomes more crocodilian to propel him through the water, Sarnak now uses the Iksar's swimming animation.