PDA

View Full Version : Wonderful Idea about character creation!

Josgar
05-04-2007, 07:31 PM
You know how on character creation they have New Tunaria as the background? Well... they could have it this way: High Elves should have New Tunaria in the background Fae Wood Elves and Half Elves should have Kelethin Gnomes could have Gnomeland Security Dwarves could have the entrance to Kaladim as their background Arasai and Dark Elves and ratonga could have Neriak (Insert troll or ogres here) could have feerrot Barbarians could have something from Everfrost Iksars coudl have something from kunark when that happens Kerran could be somewhere with luclin behind them Everyone else could temporarily have Qeynos/Freeport behind them.

Velsha
05-04-2007, 07:32 PM
I find it kind of funny that this hasn't been a feature since the start of the game. Why they show every race in the same background seems odd and lazy to me.

Cusashorn
05-04-2007, 07:41 PM
Back when the Isles of Refuge actually ment something, you'd have a different background for good and evil characters...

Silverfrost
05-05-2007, 03:19 AM
<cite>Velshara wrote:</cite><blockquote>I find it kind of funny that this hasn't been a feature since the start of the game. Why they show every race in the same background seems odd and lazy to me.</blockquote> I considered doing that when I redid character creation for Echoes of Faydwer, but we decided to go with the faster load times we got with a single background.

n0kn0k
05-05-2007, 04:29 AM
Since you only load it a few times at most each day, loading times shouldn't really be an issue. It's the same with rebooting your PC, who cares if it boots in 30 or 60 seconds. It really adds some look and feel to the game, so it might be worth reconsidering again.

xOnaton1
05-05-2007, 04:42 AM
The load time issue would be the worst when you're creating a new character. Every time you changed races the client would have to unload and load a new zone for your backdrop.

KerowynnKaotic
05-05-2007, 04:50 AM
<cite>Silverfrost wrote:</cite><blockquote><cite>Velshara wrote:</cite><blockquote>I find it kind of funny that this hasn't been a feature since the start of the game. Why they show every race in the same background seems odd and lazy to me.</blockquote> I considered doing that when I redid character creation for Echoes of Faydwer, but we decided to go with the faster load times we got with a single background. </blockquote><p> How about Neriak for all evil alignments and Haven for those Exiles and leave Felwithe for the good alignments.   </p><p>3 loading screens vs 1 .. not too much more trouble and way less than each race having a different one. </p>

n0kn0k
05-05-2007, 04:57 AM
[email protected] DLere wrote: <blockquote>The load time issue would be the worst when you're creating a new character. Every time you changed races the client would have to unload and load a new zone for your backdrop. </blockquote> The same thing applies again here, how often do you make new characters ? Another easy solution would be to use a separate one for that.

Deathshe
05-05-2007, 12:50 PM
<cite>n0kn0k wrote:</cite><blockquote>[email protected] DLere wrote: <blockquote>The load time issue would be the worst when you're creating a new character. Every time you changed races the client would have to unload and load a new zone for your backdrop. </blockquote> The same thing applies again here, how often do you make new characters ? Another easy solution would be to use a separate one for that. </blockquote> You do have to consider the new player. The first impresion of a game will always be it's character creation. With the load times in this game for an average PC, having to load the new "zone" (The backdrops do appear to be 3d images) for each race would cause a large slowdown in the creation process. This would make a person wonder whether their Pc will be able to handle the game, rather than getting them into game, and on the hook.

Raidi Sovin'faile
05-05-2007, 01:17 PM
<p>You could always just have it so you have the two (evil/good) versions in the same "zone"... just whip the camera over to the evil area when you choose an evil race or class, etc.</p><p>Yes, it would take more textures to make it look completely different and slightly increase the initial load... but it would still be very small compared to any other zone and you wouldn't have to load in between each selection or when clicking through the options of character creation.</p><p> No biggie though... I'm waiting to see the jungle/broken ruins backdrop they come up with for Kunark.</p>

Espio
05-05-2007, 02:43 PM
[email protected] wrote: <blockquote><p>You could always just have it so you have the two (evil/good) versions in the same "zone"... just whip the camera over to the evil area when you choose an evil race or class, etc.</p><p>Yes, it would take more textures to make it look completely different and slightly increase the initial load... but it would still be very small compared to any other zone and you wouldn't have to load in between each selection or when clicking through the options of character creation.</p><p> No biggie though... I'm waiting to see the jungle/broken ruins backdrop they come up with for Kunark.</p></blockquote>They did something similar to this with one of the EQLive character selection screens of yore, except it was based on character class.  Bards would be standing in a tavern, druids near a stonehenge ring, etc... as you changed characters, the camera would move to a different area of the zone seamlessly.  So it IS possible, I'd think, to do something similar to what is being requested here... just have a larger zone with individual 'sets' if you will, that the PC (and hence camera) warps to when you select a new race. Since the camera can't move to see outside its set angle of vision, you wouldn't have to render a complete set, just what the camera sees. (The EQLive class sets were fully rendered sets, since you could 'explore' the area your character was in, it was kinda neat really)

Finora
05-05-2007, 03:53 PM
<p>I personally would like it if the next character creation screen were a bit less busy. The very detailed backdrop of New Tunaria, while pretty is...well busy.</p><p>Something more simple (still from game just not something as detailed as a city) would be better IMO.</p>

JohnDoe058
05-06-2007, 01:04 AM
<p>No suggestions of Bill Clinton grabbing Monika's butt, in the background?</p><p> Guess there's just no way of explaining some ppl's tastes....</p>

Araxes
05-06-2007, 02:33 AM
For that matter ... We are approaching a point now where each race (or most of them) could have its own distinct racial starting area ...

Xev
05-06-2007, 03:19 PM
<cite>Silverfrost wrote:</cite><blockquote><cite>Velshara wrote:</cite><blockquote>I find it kind of funny that this hasn't been a feature since the start of the game. Why they show every race in the same background seems odd and lazy to me.</blockquote> I considered doing that when I redid character creation for Echoes of Faydwer, but we decided to go with the faster load times we got with a single background. </blockquote>I think it would be cool to have the different backgrounds, but honestly, having faster loading, if that really is the case, is probably preferable to me and I would assume to a lot of players who have comps that struggle a little bit running this game.

gm9
05-07-2007, 06:04 AM
I don't mind how it currently works, but I suppose you could somewhat mitigate the longer load-times by not loading a different zone for each race but just make a special zone that contains areas of all the zones people asked to see as backgrounds. Then just change the camera position for each race.

Kendricke
06-25-2007, 09:29 PM
[email protected] DLere wrote: <blockquote>The load time issue would be the worst when you're creating a new character. Every time you changed races the client would have to unload and load a new zone for your backdrop. </blockquote><p> The original character creation had its own background (the ship).  Only after creation would backgrounds load/unload.</p>

TheSpin
06-25-2007, 09:36 PM
<p>If something were truly be done to change the character creation screen, and when you take the fact that changing backgrounds increases load times, I think maybe having a set of loadable skins for backgrounds might be a good solution.  </p><p>You start off on the default new tunaria skin, but if you decide you prefer to play evil races you could load a skin with fp or neriak in the background etc.  I know most people usually favor playing more good than evil toons, or the reverse.  This way they could have a skin that fits 'most' their characters without increasing load times.</p>

Siclone
06-26-2007, 04:57 PM
<cite>Silverfrost wrote:</cite><blockquote><cite>Velshara wrote:</cite><blockquote>I find it kind of funny that this hasn't been a feature since the start of the game. Why they show every race in the same background seems odd and lazy to me.</blockquote> I considered doing that when I redid character creation for Echoes of Faydwer, but we decided to go with the faster load times we got with a single background. </blockquote>ah.  Why did you put assassins under rogues?  When they are predators? Do you see that this can and does cause confusion? 

Lilj
06-26-2007, 07:39 PM
<cite>n0kn0k wrote:</cite><blockquote>Since you only load it a few times at most each day, loading times shouldn't really be an issue. It's the same with rebooting your PC, who cares if it boots in 30 or 60 seconds. It really adds some look and feel to the game, so it might be worth reconsidering again. </blockquote> Speak for yourself, I switch characters a lot so I prefer a faster load time.

thejadegames
07-01-2007, 06:22 AM
[email protected] wrote: <blockquote>[email protected] wrote: <blockquote><p>You could always just have it so you have the two (evil/good) versions in the same "zone"... just whip the camera over to the evil area when you choose an evil race or class, etc.</p><p>Yes, it would take more textures to make it look completely different and slightly increase the initial load... but it would still be very small compared to any other zone and you wouldn't have to load in between each selection or when clicking through the options of character creation.</p><p> No biggie though... I'm waiting to see the jungle/broken ruins backdrop they come up with for Kunark.</p></blockquote>They did something similar to this with one of the EQLive character selection screens of yore, except it was based on character class.  Bards would be standing in a tavern, druids near a stonehenge ring, etc... as you changed characters, the camera would move to a different area of the zone seamlessly.  So it IS possible, I'd think, to do something similar to what is being requested here... just have a larger zone with individual 'sets' if you will, that the PC (and hence camera) warps to when you select a new race. Since the camera can't move to see outside its set angle of vision, you wouldn't have to render a complete set, just what the camera sees. (The EQLive class sets were fully rendered sets, since you could 'explore' the area your character was in, it was kinda neat really) </blockquote><p><span style="color: #cc0033">If this could be pulled off, I think it could be amazing. With this there would be only one zone so only one loading period, and think of the impression it would make on new players =O! </span></p><p><span style="color: #cc0033">The current character creation screen is kinda icky now in my oppinion... I actually prefer the one before it of the ship, it also seemed to have a clearer, crisper look. Also being a lover of the more sinister races... making a new evil persona with such a bright, pretty backdrop doesnt exactly put me in the mood.... if you know what I mean >.> <.<</span></p><p><span style="color: #cc0033">Devs should really consider this as an idea for the next Character Creation Screen, could be good. (Or in my case, evil.)</span></p>

Forsaken1
07-01-2007, 09:19 PM
<p>My question is.....<span style="font-size: xx-large">WHY???</span></p><p><span style="font-size: x-small">With everything else thats needs to be adressed, why should the devs waste resources with making each race or class have an individual background? </span></p>

liveja
07-01-2007, 10:00 PM
<cite>Forsaken1 wrote:</cite><blockquote><p><span style="font-size: x-small">With everything else thats needs to be adressed, why should the devs waste resources with making each race or class have an individual background? </span></p></blockquote>Yea, that was my question, too.

ReturnOfMadness
07-02-2007, 12:10 PM
<cite>livejazz wrote:</cite><blockquote><cite>Forsaken1 wrote:</cite><blockquote><p><span style="font-size: x-small">With everything else thats needs to be adressed, why should the devs waste resources with making each race or class have an individual background? </span></p></blockquote>Yea, that was my question, too. </blockquote>how about just giving out a worldwide contest (so not us only sigh) to let artists design in 3d (something like 3dsmax/maya etc) their own backgrounds and let them enter it, and best will be choosen by vote per race. This way almost no dev time is wasted and we still get new shiney backgrounds =)