PDA

View Full Version : To the DEVS - what about a PVP Expansion?


sinista
03-26-2007, 08:11 PM
<p>I see that the pvp folks seem to be by far the minority of EQ2 players, but whys that? </p><p>on the one hand we have the pure pve aspect with the best structure on the mmo market, no question on that. on the other hand pvp was implemented to make the game even more attractive, and I must admit the idea was great...now that we have the pvp option many things were unbalanced and confusing, but thats not my point here, for example Dark age of Camelot needed alot of time to fix its pvp system, and they did a great job, its by no doubt the best pvp game atm. </p><p>Im not upset about all the little bugs regarding characters, skills, ganking aspect etc, I love EQ2 and I love the pvp....the current situation tho makes the pvp part remain static, not to say people leave for the fact that its getting boring with every played day.</p><p>lets sum up from what I experienced in the last months; most pvp takes part near zone lines or cloud stations (hop and zoning included), most pvp is either gank or getting ganked, most pvp (t7) simply consists of fighting the same guys over and over, thats not the problem tho. what I want to say is simply there isnt much content for pvp players, all the expansion's focus is set on pve, beside the kos/eof aa lines that gives you options to go either pve or pvp, but other than that theres nothing exciting to do in the game...for example you log in, want to pvp, hit some kos zones, kill bots or find some solo guys or get rolled by groups...after a while youre [Removed for Content] and log of or do pve again. this cant and shouldnt be the red line for the eq2 pvp future, seriously. </p><p>my proposal, or question is what about creating a pure pvp expansion? I know alot of guys that left for mentioned reasons just because its boring as hell to pvp, after a while. Now with a pure pvp expansion giving players the ability to actually use their brain in combat and giving players the option to "work" for their fame, for example creating a zone with no mobs (or a few) where you have to conquer cities or castles (in groups and raids), maybe another zone with labyrinths with different kind of themes in it, or zones you can only enter when you reached a certain amount of honorable kills (like even fights in that special pvp expansion), etc etc...I could go on and list many more ideas I have in mind that would make this game just amazing for the pvp players...would it really be so much of a money/time waste for SOE to work on a pvp only based expansion? I think not, furthermore I would even go that far to say you will have to open even more pvp servers, since good changes in games are spread out faster than any other rumors.</p><p>that said I hope for an at least short statement of one of the devs, what they think about it and if theres anything near to that planned. - thx for reading.</p>

Darlion
03-26-2007, 08:54 PM
<cite>sinistarz wrote:</cite><blockquote><p>my proposal, or question is what about creating a pure pvp expansion? </p><p>I see that the pvp folks seem to be by far the minority of EQ2 players. </p></blockquote> Question and answer in the same post.

Louden1
03-27-2007, 01:27 AM
<cite>Darlion wrote:</cite><blockquote><cite>sinistarz wrote:</cite><blockquote><p>my proposal, or question is what about creating a pure pvp expansion? </p><p>I see that the pvp folks seem to be by far the minority of EQ2 players. </p></blockquote> Question and answer in the same post.</blockquote><p>It's true that we the pvpers often forget that we make up such a small portion of the EQ2 community, which is why it takes SOE a bit of time to answer our questions (like the pvp server transfers) and pvp bugs.</p>

Mutant
03-27-2007, 01:06 PM
<p>A more reasonable and realistic idea that I think the devs could do for us with little efort, would at least be to create a small add on pack with pvp content. Just reuse a zone that exists, make all zones entrances non-functioning and add in a few npc's and quests/objectives etc. Re-use the same castle model like gnoll-slayers keep, for instance to be part of the objectives.</p><p>Charge $5 bucks or whatever and release it. just an idea.</p>

Splintered
03-27-2007, 01:39 PM
also, in your last statement you hoped a dev would respond.. but as far as I can see devs have completly stopped responding, not even the community manager responds anymore...

Bozidar
03-27-2007, 02:06 PM
<p>Some interesting ideas, but i think they deviate from what EQ2 is.  EQ2 is a living world.  PvP is a style of the game where you can be immersed in that world and fight in it with intelligent opponents who can think back at you.</p><p>If you were going to add PvP content there are ways to do it, but i don't think new zones, or instances are the answer.  They would just decrease the overall pvp going on in the "real" eq2 world.</p><p>If you want to take ant the way it is.. and cl the way it is (and more zones), you can add pvp content TO those zones.  Example:</p><p>A) The bridge in Ant that spans the gorge west of gnoll slayer keep.  Make it a contested area.  There is a "flag" there, which your side can control by keeping people WHO ARE LEVEL APPROPRIATE FOR THAT ZONE close to the flag.  When your side has the flag captured, those people in the AOE gain something.. let's say status?  2 status points per tick or something?  Dunno.. throwing it out there.  Could do the same thing with...(trying to think, CL is a boring zone)...the bee hill thing, in the middle of the zone.</p><p>B) Zone wars (i've discussed this previously).  Quests will be announced at random times.  People in, well, any zone can go to said zone (if a quest has been announced there) and report to the field commander from their city there.  The opposing factions will report to the fight.. and melee will ensue!  Again.. for each zone, only those appropriate level for the zone may participate.  Winning side gets maybe a battle badge to display in their room and some extra status?  Not to mention their enemies lives, status, and fame.. </p><p>C) Bounties.  A player may take out a bounty on another player.  You provide your own coin, 20% goes to the processing office, the rest is given to whomever collects on that bounty first.  You have to sign up for a bounty at a bounty office and you can only have say.. 5 at a time.</p><p>D) Give treasured drops for heroic encounters.  If i kill a named mob, i get a treasured drop in pve.  If i kill a group in PvP.. drop me some garbage treasured gear with a similar chance in pve for a fabled/legendary drop.  Not saying it has to come from the enemy's pocket.. but it would give some great incentive to go out and pvp more.  If you kill a raid.. give something awesome <img src="/smilies/3b63d1616c5dfcf29f8a7a031aaa7cad.gif" border="0" alt="SMILEY" /></p><p>E) Steal from the Overlord! Rescue the Spy!  Give quests that require people to go into the enemy city to complete.  Let the Qeynosians sneak in to steal some super powerful weapon the overlord is developing, and let Freeporters sneak into Qeynos to rescue the overlord's spy and secure the information he has.</p>

Xova
03-27-2007, 03:59 PM
<cite>Bozidar wrote:</cite><blockquote><p>Some interesting ideas, but i think they deviate from what EQ2 is.  EQ2 is a living world.  PvP is a style of the game where you can be immersed in that world and fight in it with intelligent opponents who can think back at you.</p><p>If you were going to add PvP content there are ways to do it, but i don't think new zones, or instances are the answer.  They would just decrease the overall pvp going on in the "real" eq2 world.</p><p>If you want to take ant the way it is.. and cl the way it is (and more zones), you can add pvp content TO those zones.  Example:</p><p>A) The bridge in Ant that spans the gorge west of gnoll slayer keep.  Make it a contested area.  There is a "flag" there, which your side can control by keeping people WHO ARE LEVEL APPROPRIATE FOR THAT ZONE close to the flag.  When your side has the flag captured, those people in the AOE gain something.. let's say status?  2 status points per tick or something?  Dunno.. throwing it out there.  Could do the same thing with...(trying to think, CL is a boring zone)...the bee hill thing, in the middle of the zone.</p><p>B) Zone wars (i've discussed this previously).  Quests will be announced at random times.  People in, well, any zone can go to said zone (if a quest has been announced there) and report to the field commander from their city there.  The opposing factions will report to the fight.. and melee will ensue!  Again.. for each zone, only those appropriate level for the zone may participate.  Winning side gets maybe a battle badge to display in their room and some extra status?  Not to mention their enemies lives, status, and fame.. </p><p>C) Bounties.  A player may take out a bounty on another player.  You provide your own coin, 20% goes to the processing office, the rest is given to whomever collects on that bounty first.  You have to sign up for a bounty at a bounty office and you can only have say.. 5 at a time.</p><p>D) Give treasured drops for heroic encounters.  If i kill a named mob, i get a treasured drop in pve.  If i kill a group in PvP.. drop me some garbage treasured gear with a similar chance in pve for a fabled/legendary drop.  Not saying it has to come from the enemy's pocket.. but it would give some great incentive to go out and pvp more.  If you kill a raid.. give something awesome <img src="/smilies/3b63d1616c5dfcf29f8a7a031aaa7cad.gif" border="0" alt="SMILEY" /></p><p>E) Steal from the Overlord! Rescue the Spy!  Give quests that require people to go into the enemy city to complete.  Let the Qeynosians sneak in to steal some super powerful weapon the overlord is developing, and let Freeporters sneak into Qeynos to rescue the overlord's spy and secure the information he has.</p></blockquote><p>I like your ideas, especially the ideas of bounties and quests. SWG has player bounties, and it's a fun component of the game where you can hunt down other players for credits. The server I used to play on even had a player-run bounty system where players would register on a website as marks, hunters, or informants/marks. I remember placing a 10 million credit bounty via the SWG Bounty Hunters Guild on a certain "someone" when they ticked me off, and I required a screenshot of the kill posted on the forums as confirmation. <img src="/smilies/283a16da79f3aa23fe1025c96295f04f.gif" border="0" alt="SMILEY" /></p><p>The quests idea is neat too. Like the betrayal quests. It would be neat to have similar quests available for things like Lucanic Knight/Royal Antonican Guard faction, status, or even PvP tokens. Like completing a spy quest that takes you into South Qeynos in the Mage Tower nets you 3 tokens and 50 Lucanic Knight faction, or something like that.</p><p>And as much as others might not like it, I really like the idea of a battleground in EQ2. Not sure if there is any location lore-wise that could fit the bill, but a battleground area - be it instanced like WoW or open like SWG's - would be really fun. <img src="/smilies/3b63d1616c5dfcf29f8a7a031aaa7cad.gif" border="0" alt="SMILEY" /></p><p>And after playing an Exile lately, I'd love Exile to be a viable third faction. Don't see it happening, but it would be fun.  <img src="/smilies/3b63d1616c5dfcf29f8a7a031aaa7cad.gif" border="0" alt="SMILEY" /> </p>

Darlion
03-27-2007, 04:36 PM
<cite>Splintered wrote:</cite><blockquote>also, in your last statement you hoped a dev would respond.. but as far as I can see devs have completly stopped responding, not even the community manager responds anymore...</blockquote> You do know that they are never consistant in their posts? They usually come in bursts. On day (or two, three or even seven) they will make next to no posts, then they'll have ten in a day. They actually have full time jobs and do actually (most of them at least from what I hear) play this game and others for their leisure time. Most of them don't seem to be paid to troll the forums.

Bozidar
03-27-2007, 05:18 PM
Xova wrote: <blockquote><p>And as much as others might not like it, I really like the idea of a battleground in EQ2. Not sure if there is any location lore-wise that could fit the bill, but a battleground area - be it instanced like WoW or open like SWG's - would be really fun. <img src="/smilies/3b63d1616c5dfcf29f8a7a031aaa7cad.gif" border="0" alt="SMILEY" /></p></blockquote><p> My idea is to essentially announce a contested area of a zone, away from spawn points and portal points, and MAKE it a battleground.  I've never played WoW or SWG's, don't know how they run them.  I'm suggesting we keep the pvp in the pvp zones, but organize city vs city war.  Looking at the maps you could have pretty much any zone go under "attack" for control by any of the cities, and have the defending city come to defend it.</p><p>I don't like the idea of breaking out a seperate instance to pvp.. that's not what EQ2 is about, IMO.  No hiding in instances, let's liven up the wide open zones and get some folks away from the zone lines and guards.</p>

sinista
03-27-2007, 06:28 PM
<p>good to see that some people actually care and come out with ideas. of course I dont expect that any dev will read or even post in here, but you never know.</p><p>whether it is a pvp only instance or embedded pvp areas in the current zones like Bozidar said, any change is appreciated that makes pvp more attractive and less boring. we know that the devs are able to use their brain, unrest as latest example.  </p>

Ameniel
03-27-2007, 06:59 PM
<cite>Bozidar wrote:</cite><blockquote>Xova wrote: <blockquote><p>And as much as others might not like it, I really like the idea of a battleground in EQ2. Not sure if there is any location lore-wise that could fit the bill, but a battleground area - be it instanced like WoW or open like SWG's - would be really fun. <img src="/smilies/3b63d1616c5dfcf29f8a7a031aaa7cad.gif" border="0" alt="SMILEY" /></p></blockquote><p> My idea is to essentially announce a contested area of a zone, away from spawn points and portal points, and MAKE it a battleground.  I've never played WoW or SWG's, don't know how they run them.  I'm suggesting we keep the pvp in the pvp zones, but organize city vs city war.  Looking at the maps you could have pretty much any zone go under "attack" for control by any of the cities, and have the defending city come to defend it.</p><p>I don't like the idea of breaking out a seperate instance to pvp.. that's not what EQ2 is about, IMO.  No hiding in instances, let's liven up the wide open zones and get some folks away from the zone lines and guards.</p></blockquote><p>Yeah I like the idea of adding pvp quests/objectives to existing zones rather than make separate zones or instances for it. That would make pvp here worse, the populations are spread out too thin as it is. </p><p>Also, while we're on the subject of improving pvp, the whole EoF immunity at the docks thing needs to be removed. You've got empty zones with a huge chunk of the zone population sitting at the docks half afk, in safety. Safety, out in the wild, in a pvp game /boggle   ....that cuts down on the number of targets in the zones by quite a lot imo. </p><p>Anway...the above poster's idea of making battleground type areas within or in existing zones is a solid idea imo. That, coupled with taking out all of this 'safety' we have in eq2 pvp. </p>

Xova
03-27-2007, 09:51 PM
<cite>Bozidar wrote:</cite><blockquote>Xova wrote: <blockquote><p>And as much as others might not like it, I really like the idea of a battleground in EQ2. Not sure if there is any location lore-wise that could fit the bill, but a battleground area - be it instanced like WoW or open like SWG's - would be really fun. <img src="/smilies/3b63d1616c5dfcf29f8a7a031aaa7cad.gif" border="0" alt="SMILEY" /></p></blockquote><p> My idea is to essentially announce a contested area of a zone, away from spawn points and portal points, and MAKE it a battleground.  <span style="color: #00cc00">I've never played WoW or SWG's, don't know how they run them. </span> I'm suggesting we keep the pvp in the pvp zones, but organize city vs city war.  Looking at the maps you could have pretty much any zone go under "attack" for control by any of the cities, and have the defending city come to defend it.</p><p>I don't like the idea of breaking out a seperate instance to pvp.. that's not what EQ2 is about, IMO.  No hiding in instances, let's liven up the wide open zones and get some folks away from the zone lines and guards.</p></blockquote><p>I think what you are looking for is like a mixture of both then. What WoW has are battlegrounds that are divided by tier and that you sign up with an NPC to enter (along with other players across realms.) When you enter the battleground it is an instance in that you can't stumble across it from the outside world, but it is full of players from all of the different servers. The battlegrounds are tiered too, limiting who can participate in each one. So like an EQ2 T4 battleground would be made up of players that are lvl32-41. That way you aren't competing against players outside of your level range. They have different ones, like Capture the Flag, or one where you defend certain key locations, and they're essentially team-based (so you have a clear team vs. team objective.) The better you and your team does, the more honor you earn, and you can get PvP gear, ranks, etc. Also, if you don't PvP your rank can decay. There is world PvP too, but if you just want to PvP then the Battlegrounds are fun.</p><p>SWG's battleground is an open-world battleground. First, SWG PvP is voluntary, so you choose to enable it as a player. Once you do enable PvP, it is FFA PvP. You can have factional PvP (Imperials versus Rebels) or you can have guild wars where your guild declares war on an enemy guild (faction doesn't matter here as guilds can be mixed-faction.) The battleground for SWG is the city of Restuss on the planet Rori. The Devs blew up the city in a huge live event battle, and now the city is a bunch of ruins. It's specifically a PvP spot, so once you cross into the city zone you were PvP-flagged. There are factional quests you can do there to earn PvP armor, and a named Jedi that appears and has a chance to drop a lightsaber schematic. It's been a while since I have played so not sure what other features they have added since then, but that's about the gist of it.</p><p>For EQ2, battlegrounds like WoW's seem like they would be easier to implement on an immediate basis since they could take a zone, clone it, and add a zone-in feature. Having an open-world battleground might prove a little tougher to come up with, though not impossible in the future.</p>