PDA

View Full Version : Can we have some clarification/consolidation please?


Slapfish
03-06-2007, 02:57 PM
<p>Ok, I've noticed recently that approximately half of the new threads on the Gameplay discussion board are being moved. While I understand the need to keep things organized, the reason posters use that forum instead of the sub forums are that 1. Some questions/issues cross over multiple forums and it's difficult to know where to put it and 2. Some of those forums have such low activity that one is unlikely to get a response. </p><p>For example, if a new player wants to know what is the best low level Master II spell to choose for a Fae Conjuror. </p><p>Does this go in the Newbie forum?</p><p>The Spell forum?</p><p>The Conjuror forum? </p><p>not to mention that the cross-posting thing is a big no-no, so you can't post in all three and hope for the best. </p><p>Personally I think a little consolidation is in order. I don't see much reason to have a whole sub- forum for a category with only 8 posts in the last month. And perhaps General Gameplay could be changed to just plain General, as it seems to be what it's primarily used for anyway. </p>

Tstorm
03-06-2007, 04:15 PM
<cite>Slapfish wrote:</cite><blockquote><p>Ok, I've noticed recently that approximately half of the new threads on the Gameplay discussion board are being moved. While I understand the need to keep things organized, the reason posters use that forum instead of the sub forums are that 1. Some questions/issues cross over multiple forums and it's difficult to know where to put it and 2. Some of those forums have such low activity that one is unlikely to get a response. </p> </blockquote>#1 is understandable. #2 is perception though.  Some people <i>think</i> they know the magic way to get a developer's attention.  The simple fact of the matter is that: <ul><li>Players outnumber developers on the forums by a huge amount</li><li>Developers spend most of their time coding the 50,000 things players demand daily on the forums <img src="/smilies/3b63d1616c5dfcf29f8a7a031aaa7cad.gif" border="0" alt="SMILEY" /></li><li>Developers <i>read</i> way more than they post</li><li>Developers have their specialty areas and they <i>do</i> look at the specific forums </li></ul> <cite>Slapfish wrote:</cite><blockquote><p>For example, if a new player wants to know what is the best low level Master II spell to choose for a Fae Conjuror. </p><p>Does this go in the Newbie forum?</p><p>The Spell forum?</p><p>The Conjuror forum? </p></blockquote>Conjuror forum. <img src="/smilies/3b63d1616c5dfcf29f8a7a031aaa7cad.gif" border="0" alt="SMILEY" /> If I am a Conjuror, I don't want a Monk telling which spell I should choose. <cite>Slapfish wrote:</cite><blockquote><p>Personally I think a little consolidation is in order. I don't see much reason to have a whole sub- forum for a category with only 8 posts in the last month. And perhaps General Gameplay could be changed to just plain General, as it seems to be what it's primarily used for anyway. </p></blockquote> This is a personality/human behavior issue and different people will have different opinions as I discussed <a href="http://forums.station.sony.com/eq2/posts/list.m?start=0&topic_id=350852#3976033" target="_blank" rel="nofollow">here</a>.  There isn't a "wrong" opinion either I don't think.  In my opinion, I'd rather see the more general forums -- Gameplay Discussion in particular, go away though I understand the need for a catch-all kind of forum for issues that there really isn't a more focused forum for.

Slapfish
03-06-2007, 08:23 PM
<cite>Tstorm wrote:</cite><blockquote><cite>Slapfish wrote:</cite><blockquote><p>Ok, I've noticed recently that approximately half of the new threads on the Gameplay discussion board are being moved. While I understand the need to keep things organized, the reason posters use that forum instead of the sub forums are that 1. Some questions/issues cross over multiple forums and it's difficult to know where to put it and 2. Some of those forums have such low activity that one is unlikely to get a response. </p> </blockquote>#1 is understandable. #2 is perception though.  Some people <i>think</i> they know the magic way to get a developer's attention.  The simple fact of the matter is that: <ul><li>Players outnumber developers on the forums by a huge amount</li><li>Developers spend most of their time coding the 50,000 things players demand daily on the forums <img src="/smilies/3b63d1616c5dfcf29f8a7a031aaa7cad.gif" border="0" alt="SMILEY" /></li><li>Developers <i>read</i> way more than they post</li><li>Developers have their specialty areas and they <i>do</i> look at the specific forums</li></ul><p><span style="color: #ffffff"><i><b>I wasn't necessarily referring to a developer answer. I just meant answer from other posters. If I post in a forum that few people visit I'm far less likely to get an answer. There are WAY too many forums here for people to visit all of them. Therefore I find myself simply posting in the one that most people browse regularly, unless it's a specific class question.</b></i> </span></p> <cite>Slapfish wrote:</cite><blockquote><p>For example, if a new player wants to know what is the best low level Master II spell to choose for a Fae Conjuror. </p><p>Does this go in the Newbie forum?</p><p>The Spell forum?</p><p>The Conjuror forum? </p></blockquote><p>Conjuror forum. <img src="/smilies/3b63d1616c5dfcf29f8a7a031aaa7cad.gif" border="0" alt="SMILEY" /> If I am a Conjuror, I don't want a Monk telling which spell I should choose. </p><p><span style="color: #ffffff"><i><b>This was just an example. There are many questions that fall into several categories.  Also, if we are going to be REALLY strict, then probably close to 90% of the posts on the Gameplay forum would need to be moved to other forums.</b></i> </span> Slapfish wrote: </p><blockquote><p>Personally I think a little consolidation is in order. I don't see much reason to have a whole sub- forum for a category with only 8 posts in the last month. And perhaps General Gameplay could be changed to just plain General, as it seems to be what it's primarily used for anyway. </p></blockquote><p>This is a personality/human behavior issue and different people will have different opinions as I discussed <a href="http://forums.station.sony.com/eq2/posts/list.m?start=0&topic_id=350852#3976033" target="_blank" rel="nofollow">here</a>.  There isn't a "wrong" opinion either I don't think.  In my opinion, I'd rather see the more general forums -- Gameplay Discussion in particular, go away though I understand the need for a catch-all kind of forum for issues that there really isn't a more focused forum for.</p><p><span style="color: #ffffff"><b>The real problem is that it seems the General Gameplay has become sort of the place where people just kind of hang out and chat. By separating forums into so many tiny pieces you take away the community feel that develops when posters see the same names often and respond to one another. Maybe it would just be nice if there was one forum where anything goes (play nice that is) and any EQ2 related post is welcome and won't be moved (killed).</b> </span> </p></blockquote>

Thunderthyze
03-09-2007, 04:39 PM
<p>I began a thread asking a similar question to this and had it locked. It was pointed out that there were 3 posts in a similar vein (of which this is one) and therefore was against the terms of conduct.</p><p><sigh></p><p>The thread headers in no way shouted out that they were that similar so clearly we are being told that we need to read all threads in case the header is unrepresentative or not totally descriptive of the content.</p><p>Come on SOE.....this is becoming a joke. Let the people speak. If you believe that the terms of conduct are being broken then let THAT be an issue that we can all discuss. If all you do is lock threads with a comment to which no-one else can respond then you are missing the point of forums. They are a place to discuss matters. Not a place where YOU tell us what we can and can't discuss. No-one is flaming anyone in the threads I mentioned. All that is happening is that people are posting on 4 threads instead of 1. Innocently!</p><p>It becomes risable when over 25% of threads on a page are locked because you unilaterally decide they contravene the rules of conduct. How many users complained to you I wonder?</p><p>OK...I've had enough....I'll be back next week after I've calmed down a bit. Have a good weekend everyone.</p><p>Over and out.</p>